Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
Page 1 of 1
Free Will and Destiny [CLOSED]
SolemnWhisper Yellow Sparx Gems: 1054
#1 Posted: 05:14:41 23/07/2013 | Topic Creator
WAIT! Before you scroll down and say something like "GODDAMMIT LEMMING, YOU DARE CRAWL OUT OF THE SHADOWS AND TRY TO TALK TO US ABOUT SOMETHING RELIGIOUS, LEAVE US YOU KNAVE!!!", just hear me out.

The other day I was watching a Q&A video that one of my favorite analysts on YouTube posted, and he mentioned something about destiny. He said that he believed destiny was a predetermined path for a person, and that there is truly no such thing as free will. I wrinkled my nose a bit in confusion and disagreement, but then he explained that he personally saw no reason that free will would exist in the first place. At this I thought about things, and realized that yes, I understand his way of thinking.

I personally believe that destiny is more of a high role that you are able to fulfill in your life, if you choose to try your hardest, rather than every detailed event in your life being predetermined. Basically, most people view destiny as a pre-written biography of a person, while I believe that it is a path that you can CHOOSE to take to a final goal, and at your own pace.

I believe that free will DOES exist. I'm pretty sure God or Zeus or whoever or whatever or if anything at all is intending for people to murder each other or steal or rape.

What is your definition of destiny? Do you believe in free will? Am I asking too many questions?

we'll find out after these messages
X-Treme Ripto Gems: 360
#2 Posted: 05:23:44 23/07/2013
Tl;dr

smilie, too deep for me.
Wild Platinum Sparx Gems: 5045
#3 Posted: 05:38:46 23/07/2013
I agree with you, in a sense, but I'm going to go into some detail...

I believe "destiny" is a human construct in order to validate people's own purposes and existences, and as well as things that feels "right" for a person to achieve.

I don't imagine paths, roads, or strings laid forward. I imagine a blankness. You cannot call it dark, white, or anything, because it is not there -- however, as you move forward, you place the bricks, you weave the strings, and branch off the "what-ifs" of your life with your own mind.

These "what-ifs" that ones develop in their own mind aren't always realistic, and rarely consider all variables as it is nearly impossible to predict everything, as you, yourself are biased - but to use, the roads, the paths, and the strings are there, behind us as we continue building whatever we build for ourselves. Of course, this is all a mentality...

There's also the "path" that you believe yourself to be on, be it dreary or great, and that "path" hangs above you. Perhaps even you, yourself, believe you are walking it, but it's a fantasy, a creation of your head, and some people even decide to place their worth on what they are not, instead of what they are.

Will, and free will, I believe are always there - but, cultural, societal and other views internalize the sense of "I can only do this", a deciding factor in your decisions beyond just your sense of self and mortality -- and this, unfortunately, will always give a hindrance to people's free-will. There's also instincts, which continue to drive humanity. Also, there's chemicals swirling in your head and subconsciousness that make you do things you can't really quite explain yourself without extensive knowledge.

...I think I just lost my train of thought. Oops.
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me