darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Skylanders: Swap Force > How do you think Swap Force will stand up against Disney Infinity?
First | Page 2 of 3 | Last
1 2 3
How do you think Swap Force will stand up against Disney Infinity? [CLOSED]
Sleepy0429 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3217
#51 Posted: 04:07:07 24/07/2013
It will live,
---
dark52 let me change my username you coward
ZapNorris Ripto Gems: 5109
#52 Posted: 04:12:32 24/07/2013
KMESKIDXNHSKVKLNV

I NEED THE GENERAL GREVIOUS PIG
Skylandscaper Emerald Sparx Gems: 3966
#53 Posted: 04:49:48 24/07/2013
DI looks fun. I'll buy the starter pack, and see what the kids think of it. Got a major Minecraft and Skylander lover in the house.
---
WANTED: regular Chompie Mage. Can be loose. We will open and play with it like all of our Skylanders.
TheGooch Blue Sparx Gems: 709
#54 Posted: 07:16:32 24/07/2013 | Topic Creator
Personally, I think both games are going to be able to co-exist just fine. Each one is different enough from each other that they offer an experience the other doesn't. DI as a game has some interesting aspects to it but because of it being a Disney game and the use of their franchises as figures is a big turn off to me. Maybe it is just because I am older, but neither my Son or I have any interest in actually getting it. Swap-Force on the other hand has the unique quality going for it. The figures are original and fun. The detail and personality that goes into each one is amazing. The DI figures look very basic and uninspired. While I don't doubt there will be many people out here interested in playing with all the various Disney characters in a game, I am not one of them. I have had my fill of Toy Story, Cars, Pirates of the Caribbean....etc. While shooting a likeness of Johnny Depp in a game does sound appealing, I wouldn't put any money down to do it.
---
http://www.ghostery.com/ Knowledge + Control = Privacy
My new favorite web browser add-on.
crashb648 Blue Sparx Gems: 783
#55 Posted: 10:57:08 24/07/2013
To me, apart from the "bringing toys to life using a portal of power" that's where the similarities end for me.

The impression I've got from trailers etc is Disney Infinity is more about creating your own world, with existing characters. Customization. Like how the Toy Box mode in Toy Story 3 was more about building your town than story.

Skylanders on the other hand is more about a true platformer, with many playable characters and more focus on story and characters.

I might be wrong, but that's the impression I've got.

Unless the price comes down, I'm not interested in Disney Infinity.
---
Visit my website, The Tribute Pages, with online tributes for video games, Movies and TV Shows!
GhostRoaster Yellow Sparx Gems: 1803
#56 Posted: 11:14:22 24/07/2013
Quote: GameMaster78
Building levels while not making money always gives me the idea that one could take that time and make a living with it.

It's like the developers are making millions off of those who are wasting their lives making levels that won't get them anywhere in life. The same could be said about playing games in general, but with beating games, you get the satisfaction that you completed a game on your own time.

If I were to build a level to upload, I don't get any satisfaction other than other people may play it. No money gained, no game beaten, time wasted.

It's why I never play Minecraft, Little Big Planet 1/2, and why I won't be building anything with Infinity. I would rather "build" a good script that could net me anywhere from 1-5 million dollars (depending on if my movies are worth that much in the eyes of whatever studio buys it). I look at it like this, if Shyamalan can get 5 million for the later duds he made, what could I get for movies I think Hollywood "might" be impressed with?

I'm basically of the same mindset, but I get the same satisfaction from the playset, and my kids will love toy box mode. I'd much prefer them be in DI toybox than mindcraft frankly.

Don't even try to compare two activities that in the end do nothing but waste time. and in the end, time is money anyway.

I will support DI because that supports competition. I won't go all giddy and get all of the figs, but we'll be taking it for a spin. And, Activision has basically lost me this time around because I haven't seen enough to justify an ALL IN approach like I was in Giants. I'm reducing count and types of figures I'll be buying this time around.

Oh, and the new skyfigs are not looking good to me...it really doesn't have the same vibe and feel as the previous landers...shame.
---
RIP GhostRoaster. He's reanimated as TakeYourLemons but occasionally is resurrected from the beyond when needed.
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 11:19:27 24/07/2013 by GhostRoaster
kappapopm Ripto Gems: 1186
#57 Posted: 11:17:59 24/07/2013
i like skylanders and i am not afraid to say disney infinity will suck and fail hard!
#58 Posted: 11:25:45 24/07/2013 | Topic Creator
Quote: kappapopm
i like skylanders and i am not afraid to say disney infinity will suck and fail hard!

You have said this a couple of times now already.....it doesn't really add anything to the discussion. Why, in your opinion do you think it is going to fail hard?
---
#59 Posted: 11:54:17 24/07/2013
there is not one original idea behind disney infinity, its a shameless attempt to copy activision’s skylanders franchise, and they stole the toy box idea from little big planet. the disney characters look butt ugly and are expensive as heck. they only made disney infinity to rob your parents wallets, and there is nothing that can justify paying for this thievery, so the game will fail hard. it is not worth the time so your better of sticking with skylanders, after all it is the better game.
wreckingballbob Emerald Sparx Gems: 4565
#60 Posted: 12:22:25 24/07/2013
I Think Disney Infinity will get a average rating.
Swap Force will get a better rating.
---
Daxious Gold Sparx Gems: 2392
#61 Posted: 13:00:00 24/07/2013
I was actually thinking of getting Disney Infinity along with SSF, but my kids made my decision really easy for me. They (6 and 4) both said they'd rather spend money on more Skylander hunting than having to get into a new game. I showed them the gameplay and the characters, but after a few minutes it felt like I was trying to sell it to them than actually just listening to their opinion. Looks like we'll be passing on DI. Gonna have to reinvest my pre-orders to SSF.
GameMaster78 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3321
#62 Posted: 14:05:41 24/07/2013
Well, I have my money set aside already for all of wave 1 Infinity stuff, but I am thinking more of the kids when it comes to that.

My son and daughter both love Minecraft, so I know they will tear into Toy Box Mode like it's nothing, and in that regard, they will probably play it more than they play with their Skylanders.

However, at the same time, you won't have access to all of the game's creative objects, because you have to wait for future waves, so what fun will it be to play created levels, when they will be gimped by default due to the lack of having all items gotten from the playsets, power discs, and characters?

Still, to me, that's about the only thing Infinity has going for it. Kids will dig it, and so will some adults, but you won't catch me building anything with it.

I can see the frustration everyone has with Swap Force, though. With each new Skylanders, it does seem the games are getting shorter and shorter, while they drag out waves for almost a year. However, when it comes to content - and this is something I was thinking about the other day - I'd say Skylanders has Infinity beat.

Skylanders has -

48 unique Skylanders
48 unique quests for said Skylanders
45 Heroic Challenges 18 of those are new
21 Arena Challenges

And the game has a combined total of 42 levels that ANY character can play in.

I want longer Skylanders games as well, and I agree and hope Infinity makes Activision and TFB/VV strive to make games with longer gameplay - for longevity - to compete with the 6-10 hour (I hear there are 10 Playsets for Infinity) Playsets Infinity offers.

But, in thinking of gameplay you can complete, does Infinity really hold a candle to Skylanders? Let's say 10 Playsets total for 100 hours of completable gameplay. How long would it take to complete 45 (47 for Series 2 and Series 1 figures from SSA) for every Skylander released, complete all 21 Arena Challenges, complete 9 quests for every Skylander released, collect all 80 Skystones, and 3 star all 42 combined levels from the Skylanders series?

In the eyes of the website, Backloggery.com, you can only select their "Mastered" icon for having a beaten a game, when you have done everything the game has to offer, which means I couldn't select that for SSA and Giants, until I have mastered it by doing everything there is to be done with my Skylanders and the two games (4 games if you count the 3DS games which are completely different games).

Even though, both Skylanders games offer hours of stuff to do, I do hope for more levels, just because I can never get enough Skylanders. smilie
---
Wii U: GameMaster1178, XBL: GameMaster1178, PSN: megax28
Xerxxees Blue Sparx Gems: 839
#63 Posted: 23:09:23 24/07/2013
I'm planning on getting Disney Infinity, but mostly because of the Toy Box. When I was young I played something called 'Racing Destruction Set'. In that you could build your own race tracks. I spent a lot of fun time building race craft. I see DI as an extension to that.

However, I'm not buying it for me, I'm buying it for my son so that we can build new worlds together. Hopefully helping to expand his mind into software development (what I do).

I definitely don't plan on buying all the Playsets, Characters and Discs though

I do however plan on building an iOS app (it's almost done actually) for collecting the pieces. Just like I did for Skylanders.
isaac343018s Emerald Sparx Gems: 4478
#64 Posted: 23:11:54 24/07/2013
Oh cool! What's the one for Skylanders?
MugoUrth Ripto Gems: 3234
#65 Posted: 00:01:00 25/07/2013
I'm not sure, but did Skylanders even invent the concept of "Real toys come to life?"
isaac343018s Emerald Sparx Gems: 4478
#66 Posted: 00:05:29 25/07/2013
No, I believe UB Funkeys also used the 'toys to life' gimmick way back when.....Though I think that it was a bit different from what Skylanders is.....
Rickorio Gold Sparx Gems: 2463
#67 Posted: 00:57:15 25/07/2013
Actually, there was a game even before that, it was this HotWheels game where you plugged the remote thing into the computer, and placed one do the special cars made for the game onto the remote, and you would race around.
---
#hu
sky-dragon Emerald Sparx Gems: 3206
#68 Posted: 01:42:19 25/07/2013
xtractaurs is a game using toys aswell
---
"ryuujin no ken wo kurae!"
#69 Posted: 03:49:12 25/07/2013
However, at the same time, you won't have access to all of the game's creative objects, because you have to wait for future waves, so what fun will it be to play created levels, when they will be gimped by default due to the lack of having all items gotten from the playsets, power discs, and characters?

The same way it's not fun to wait 7 months for your favorite skylander to be released long after you've played every pixel of each level hundreds of times; it kills the spirit of adventure for the skylanders released later.
---
RIP GhostRoaster. He's reanimated as TakeYourLemons but occasionally is resurrected from the beyond when needed.
SlayerX11 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3488
#70 Posted: 05:19:49 25/07/2013
I think disney infinity will sell just cause it's Disney. Toy-box mode will be fun for some. I come to think of it like sim city you build your city and so forth. At some point thou it does get boring at least for me, but then again I'd prob go back to it and start again.

Skylanders on the other hand is a game where you bring your figure to life and battle against things and play thru a created world.

I think the market can hold both sets to be hoenst thou I do think alot of ppl are going to be confused.
Parents i have spoken to think disney infinity is the next skylander game and that there kids skylanders will work on it. I'm not joking either.

Heck there are ppl i run into at tru and target who wouldnt buy SSA figures because they "arent giants and dont work with giants".
Soooo, again I think both will do well each in their own.
Pieman87 Green Sparx Gems: 430
#71 Posted: 14:15:44 25/07/2013
Quote: isaac343018s
No, I believe UB Funkeys also used the 'toys to life' gimmick way back when.....Though I think that it was a bit different from what Skylanders is.....

So I say many a times.

Quote: Rickorio
Actually, there was a game even before that, it was this HotWheels game where you plugged the remote thing into the computer, and placed one do the special cars made for the game onto the remote, and you would race around.

I don't remember that.

Quote: sky-dragon
xtractaurs is a game using toys aswell

I don't remember that either.
MoonlitCynder Gold Sparx Gems: 2589
#72 Posted: 14:58:54 25/07/2013
I'm actually more excited for Infinity than Swap. Skylanders lost me when they hold a figure I need to complete my collection just so I hang on till the next game. I'm also not enjoying their choices for who gets series 2&3 reposes.

That said I will still buy Swap, I'm not sure if my collection will be every Skylander they make for it, including the variants at stores they throw at us.

Infinity has me hooked and excited because well for one my favorite characters are in it, two the fact you can play in the characters worlds has me a bit interested. The main thing is the online play, if I made up a level or not its still going to be fun to play with someone not directly next to me.

That said each game has its strengthens and weaknesses and its all up to you if you're going to by it, but don't hate on either unless you've tried it.
---
37/37 + BsmilieTF+GITDsmilieRsmilieE3smilieFlockedsmilieGITDsmilieAsmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
48/48 + 6/6 Legendary+smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie+ smiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
#73 Posted: 19:20:41 25/07/2013
di will go straight to crappabunka land, dont waste ur money on it.....
MoonlitCynder Gold Sparx Gems: 2589
#74 Posted: 19:46:59 25/07/2013

How can you say that when its not even out. People said the same thing about Spyro's adventure and now look where it is.
---
37/37 + BsmilieTF+GITDsmilieRsmilieE3smilieFlockedsmilieGITDsmilieAsmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
48/48 + 6/6 Legendary+smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie+ smiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
#75 Posted: 19:55:12 25/07/2013

pfffttt...DI will kick Acti's tail. Watch this space.
---
Xerxxees Blue Sparx Gems: 839
#76 Posted: 20:39:14 25/07/2013
Quote: isaac343018s
Oh cool! What's the one for Skylanders?

Skylister Free on the app store for iOS only.
#77 Posted: 21:14:18 25/07/2013
Quote: GhostRoaster

pfffttt...DI will kick Acti's tail. Watch this space.

LOL!...
hardcoreignitor Gold Sparx Gems: 2583
#78 Posted: 22:24:14 25/07/2013
The thing about UB Funkeys is that it wasnt Exactly like skylanders. Each figure had a magnetic code underneath it. Lets say one of the characters were called Bob. If you buy a Bob in America and buy a Bob in Spain, it will have the same code. The UB Funeys can not store data whatsoever. It is as if the UB Funkeys are different passwords to something, and each specific password will tell the computer who you are. Make sense?
---
nyeheheheheh

hey lois, i’m dustah from mudda 3
#79 Posted: 22:54:13 25/07/2013
Quote: MoonlitCynder

How can you say that when its not even out. People said the same thing about Spyro's adventure and now look where it is.

It's true. The Spyro genwunners were complaining about the new Spyro and how it would fail miserably and wadayano, it became a success. You never know, Infinity might actually work.
SilentButDeadly Gold Sparx Gems: 2086
#80 Posted: 23:01:21 25/07/2013

It's Disney. And people love it (Just look at its official fan forums). It's going to be a success.
---
SkylanderDrew Blue Sparx Gems: 663
#81 Posted: 23:12:43 25/07/2013
my son saw it on you tube the other day and was hooked immediately! i just don't like character offerings so far but game play reminds me of Toy Story 3's (video game) toy box mode.....
---
"im just buying extras to TRADE or GIVE my friends"
Tel Prydain Blue Sparx Gems: 903
#82 Posted: 00:11:09 26/07/2013
There are a number of things I like about DI. The toybox looks neat (although we’re yet to see what can actually be done with it) and online features are a great step forward.
But there are some pretty significant drawbacks too – the power disks seem like a needless cash-in, and we’re yet to see how much save data is stored on the figure (are they like ‘landers, or are they just DLC unlock keys). I also hate the idea of playsets and dislike that you are limited to specific characters within them.
But the biggest issue for me is just the Disney characters. I’m totally over the Incredibles and the monsters. And always disliked Cars. I’m not sure if it’s the over saturation of the IP or something else, but the DI toys don’t interest me at all.

SSF is making a few mistakes too. The new art style (especially for Stealth Elf) isn’t really my cup of tea, and most of the new characters look much the same (a man mixed with some animal – where are all the creatures, monsters and dragons?), but all my old toys will work and a lengthy singleplayer adventure for all my figures is more interesting to me then ad hock playsets that only support select characters.

Quote: MugoUrth
I'm not sure, but did Skylanders even invent the concept of "Real toys come to life?"

Not really – but they were the first to have a 2-way system where data was stored on the figure – most of the others act like keys to opens content, but Skylanders store the status of an evolving character. In fact Skylanders was going to be like that too until they got told they could expand the idea.
---
My collection: 98/99
Photos: http://s1298.photobucket.com/u...rary/Skylanders
Looking for: smilie
#83 Posted: 11:48:49 26/07/2013
Quote: Tel Prydain
SSF is making a few mistakes too. The new art style (especially for Stealth Elf) isn’t really my cup of tea, and most of the new characters look much the same (a man mixed with some animal – where are all the creatures, monsters and dragons?), but all my old toys will work and a lengthy singleplayer adventure for all my figures is more interesting to me then ad hock playsets that only support select characters.

For once I agree with you. The first game's roster was filled to the brim with cool mythical characters, and the second game degraded into humans and anthropomorphic animals. There's still so many monsters that could be made into Skylanders that it's kind of a shame they already ran out. ...I'm assuming they just wanted to use recognizable ones, though.
MrPugdude Green Sparx Gems: 328
#84 Posted: 17:54:04 26/07/2013
Okay I have nothing wrong with skylanders, but disney infinity has more replay value than skylanders an will take much longer to beat, each play set takes about 6 to 8 hours to complete, u get 3 to start off with and infinity also has toy box mode which u can do whatever. I also think skylanders just needs to release 1 really long game and not anything else 4 2 years, 3 games in 3 years that's a lot of money
---
Wrecking Ball= Mr. Pug. I want Mr. Pug 4 series 3
GameMaster78 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3321
#85 Posted: 18:55:51 26/07/2013
Infinity plans to release a game every year, only it costs more, due to the developers figuring that Disney means charging more money for characters that do less.

Just because each Playset is 6-10 hours long, doesn't mean that 6-10 hours is AAA gaming. Not everyone wants to play a kiddie version of Metal Gear Solid, while getting slapped by poles with huge hands on it. Not everyone likes action/platformer sandbox games. If Cars was such a good brand, the first two games would have been good. Cars 2 the game was better than the first, but that isn't saying much. Not everyone wants to race for 6-10 hours.

This is where the "quality over quantity" quote is best used.

Skylanders tells a focused story, while each Playset is selected from a menu and contain their own story. Skylanders is building lore, while the only lore for Disney characters is chick poisoned by apple, chick lives in rags, chick loves an animal, Indian who digs popcorn and thinks a little kid is "Kemosabe." It's all very self-contained stories and worlds... in my opinion.

Disney Infinity can't have novels based on its property, while Skylanders has 3 released novels under its belt, with at least 2 more in the works, to help build more lore for Skylands (one world).
---
Wii U: GameMaster1178, XBL: GameMaster1178, PSN: megax28
Matteomax Platinum Sparx Gems: 5378
#86 Posted: 20:05:21 26/07/2013
I have a feeling that these other knock offs will flop out of existence, while Skylanders and Infinity will battle it out.

Overall, the games are both pretty different from each other. Skylanders is an RPG and Infinity is a Sandbox/Action game. They both appeal to all ages, but Disney goes straight to the hearts of long-time Disney fanatics.

I have a feeling they will both be equal, though.
---
Will still be checking the forums every now and then!
#87 Posted: 19:16:42 27/07/2013
Quote: MoonlitCynder
I'm actually more excited for Infinity than Swap. Skylanders lost me when they hold a figure I need to complete my collection just so I hang on till the next game. I'm also not enjoying their choices for who gets series 2&3 reposes.

That said I will still buy Swap, I'm not sure if my collection will be every Skylander they make for it, including the variants at stores they throw at us.

Infinity has me hooked and excited because well for one my favorite characters are in it, two the fact you can play in the characters worlds has me a bit interested. The main thing is the online play, if I made up a level or not its still going to be fun to play with someone not directly next to me.

That said each game has its strengthens and weaknesses and its all up to you if you're going to by it, but don't hate on either unless you've tried it.

Yep...it's a cash grab for the current game, and then you have to buy the reposes otherwise you lose out content on the next game even though you have that character. So it literally becomes a death march to buy them all. I also am scratching my head on the choices. They should concentrate on giving whomever had the limelight in the current game take a backseat for the guys two games ago. Forgotten 8 would've been mandatory....WITH Wow Pows. They're taking the lazy route with the few returns being lightcores, so they don't need to develop new content for that. Note to Activision: I don't need stealth elf every game...nor Eruptor, Spyro, etc.

Yeah, I'd like to battle mode online and the local only is killing me. Oh, only 12 chapters for my 256 swapabilities. What an insult. And if it's like Giants the first 2 or 3 chapters will be a sleepfest.

My kids are looking forward to toy box mode and playing with people online. I'll get swap force when the game and figs go on sale. I hope Activision knows that they'll have to share this market with Disney, cause both will do well (although Acti may see a decline due to market share grab by Disney).

Just because each Playset is 6-10 hours long, doesn't mean that 6-10 hours is AAA gaming.

Skylanders tells a focused story, while each Playset is selected from a menu and contain their own story. Skylanders is building lore, while the only lore for Disney characters is chick poisoned by apple, chick lives in rags, chick loves an animal, Indian who digs popcorn and thinks a little kid is "Kemosabe." It's all very self-contained stories and worlds... in my opinion.

Good observations; it is what it is. I suspect Skylanders will be great for unbridled freedom of play and a continuing story (although you can argue Giants wasn't much of one) and lore. DI has toybox and online mode to counter for their laser focussed and individual playset which may or may not be fun for some gamers (because of the property we'll be dictated to a type of play we may not like).

I'd also suggest skylander characters technically DO MORE, but we don't have enough content to enjoy it. DI kills this content even more than skylanders because of certain characters not being able to play in story mode, but imo makes up a lot of this with toy box and online. Btw, if Acti is reading this---I don't necessarily want toy box for skylanders...imo online and simply more complex and unique content to justify the figs would have me happy as a camper.
---
Edited 8 times - Last edited at 19:38:18 27/07/2013 by GhostRoaster
#88 Posted: 19:27:22 27/07/2013
My parents just one a $100 Disney Store gift card. If it weren't for that, I wouldn't be buying DI at all.
---
#hu
#89 Posted: 19:30:12 27/07/2013
^Is Disney selling this stuff in their store? I didn't know they were. The one close to me didn't have any pre-order or materials to reflect it was even coming.
---
#90 Posted: 19:37:46 27/07/2013
if you wait for sale some of the swap force figures can be gone already and you will have to deal with scalpers on evilbay... just saying. i learned this lesson the hard way with giants, there is now variants that are gone forever and in evilbay scalpers hands that want 100 dollars etc... its a lost cause now, i just have to accept it. so when swap force arrive i buy all i can see right away.
#91 Posted: 19:40:48 27/07/2013
^Yeah, if I make the decision to do variants then it's a must buy no doubt. I'll be making educated guesses and have strategies for characters I think will be overstocked vs limited quantities. I don't think the new guys will necessarily be a problem, but rather the reposes (although I submit to you that what Acti thinks are core reposes will be overstocked). It will be interesting to see how they handle lightcores in terms of inventory moving forward.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 19:43:21 27/07/2013 by GhostRoaster
ShinkenRed Gold Sparx Gems: 2651
#92 Posted: 19:42:01 27/07/2013
I think what a lot of people are overlooking is the fact that Disney has generations of fans while Skylanders has two, three years of fans. My grandparents watched Disney movies, my parents watched Disney movies, I watched Disney movies, any kids I have down the road will watch Disney. They have such a roster of recognizable characters its crazy to think about it. Mickey, Mulan, Jack Sparrow, The Incredibles, Nemo, Fox and the Hound Dog (I think that was Disney) Bambi, Pocahontas... The roster is just about... *sunglasses* Infinite.

My point is, if anything can destroy Skylanders (Outside of Acti/Skylanders themselves) it is Disney. From what I've read on the Pokemon game I think it'll be cheap enough to coexist in a kid's room next to Skylanders, but many children will be forced to make a choice between Skylanders and Disney.
---
Unique Character roster:
S:SA: 32/32, S:G: 16/16, S:SF: 32/32, S:TT: 36/36
#93 Posted: 19:46:02 27/07/2013
^I agree, which is why I concede that in my previous post. Don't underestimate the power of Disney. IMO, whatever deficiencies are in the DI product may be partially offset by the "gotta get anything Disney" crowd. And I know they're out there. Some of those guys would make GameMaster78 look like a noob.

And to your point, the average non-video game mom and dad, given two of these products in hand, will choose Disney because of name recognition (I'm largely talking about uninformed consumers). People largely overgeneralize and go with safety...I've seen in done on inferior products in the IT industry as well as retail. Not the technically best product always wins, guys.

It will be very interesting to see how this plays out; I suspect Activision has a plan B or C coming up.
---
Edited 4 times - Last edited at 19:50:57 27/07/2013 by GhostRoaster
#94 Posted: 19:54:48 27/07/2013 | Topic Creator
I was just looking through the DI figures online and while I think they are doing a decent job with paint and character detail I hate how they all look so similar with each other. I realize why they are doing it, but I think it really detracts from their individuality. By doing so its makes the figures look boring and generic. Sure the game may be fun to play but I would think that it would affect the whole collectibility side of the coin. Granted I am no fan of the Disney Universe but I can't see how someone would be interested in displaying these figures like they do Skylanders.
---
#95 Posted: 19:59:14 27/07/2013
^Yeah consistency in the universe was probably required, otherwise you'd have a clash of art styles and directions in the same game. I also suspect they wanted to use the same modeling engine and approach and wanted economies of scale.

Taking tech out of it...I would've preferred vastly different art directions based on the franchise. Some of these do NOT look good with cartoon looking content.
---
#96 Posted: 20:03:44 27/07/2013
the only interesting thing going for di is the monster inc, they have real originally characters... the rest is just humans.
#97 Posted: 20:08:21 27/07/2013
^None of them TRULY interest me....these could've been any random characters from my kid's perspectives...they just REALLY like the features in toy box mode. And kids LOVE to be creative and CREATE. Every time I give my kids computer time, they are on ROBLOX or MINDCRAFT...two franchises that cater to this create crowd.

I'm a living example of how this game will sell to the "we don't care about the actual game crowd": Disney fanatics, build and play fanatics, toy collector fanatics etc. It being good has nothing to do with it lol. Meanwhile Skylanders will get criticisms (being technically superior) for its lack of online features and additional content. Especially by yours truly.
---
Edited 5 times - Last edited at 20:30:33 27/07/2013 by GhostRoaster
#98 Posted: 20:13:14 27/07/2013
^Is Disney selling this stuff in their store? I didn't know they were. The one close to me didn't have any pre-order or materials to reflect it was even coming.

I saw it in the online store, I'm arguing which extra character to get with my brother.
---
#hu
RadSpyro Gold Sparx Gems: 2007
#99 Posted: 20:25:42 27/07/2013
I honestly think both games will be just fine. I personally won't be buying DI - I initially had plans to, but the more info they released the more I started to feel let down. The only thing that still might make me purchase it in the future would be the design a level feature. But, that will be a long wait, unless they start to release more 'classic' Disney characters.
---
TUMBLR
DEVIANTART
Visit me and stuff.
#100 Posted: 20:29:28 27/07/2013
Quote: Rickorio

I saw it in the online store, I'm arguing which extra character to get with my brother.

Ahh ok I was referring to their brick and mortar locations.
---
First | Page 2 of 3 | Last
1 2 3

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me