darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Skylanders: Swap Force > How do you think Swap Force will stand up against Disney Infinity?
Page 1 of 3 | Next | Last
1 2 3
How do you think Swap Force will stand up against Disney Infinity? [CLOSED]
TheGooch Blue Sparx Gems: 709
#1 Posted: 15:52:46 22/07/2013 | Topic Creator
I am curious what all of you people think about how the two games are going to do pitted against each other? I for one won't be getting the Disney game as both my Son and I aren't fans of Disney characters in general. I do however see a lot of innovation coming from Infinity that I wonder if Swap Force will be lacking in. I truly hope that Swap Force is going to be more that just a graphical upgrade from previous games because lets face it there really wasn't anything truly revolutionary between Spyro's Adventure and Giants. I hope that Activision is putting more effort into this new game rather than simply relying on the Swap-ability gimmick. I haven't played demos of either of the new games coming out so my thoughts are based solely on articles that I have read, videos and previews of the two. With that said, what are all of your thoughts on it?
---
http://www.ghostery.com/ Knowledge + Control = Privacy
My new favorite web browser add-on.
hardcoreignitor Gold Sparx Gems: 2583
#2 Posted: 15:57:45 22/07/2013
I will not be getting Infinity unless it looks REALLY good. Franchises have to WOW me with something before I come to like it. Skylanders: I hear the about toys come to life thing. Bang, I am hooked. Disney Infinity:Toys come to life. Meh. Been there. Done that. Got the T-Shirt. You see my point?
---
nyeheheheheh

hey lois, i’m dustah from mudda 3
MugoUrth Ripto Gems: 3234
#3 Posted: 16:17:29 22/07/2013
I don't know. How big is Disney's popularity? Especially after The Lone Ranger flopped major league and got a nasty reception from Native Americans. ...Then again, that's nothing new for Disney. They've ALWAYS made offensive movies.

As for me, I have no interest, even if the game has Stitch in it. (Which I think it will, but I don't know for sure.)
#4 Posted: 16:20:28 22/07/2013 | Topic Creator
Quote: hardcoreignitor
I will not be getting Infinity unless it looks REALLY good. Franchises have to WOW me with something before I come to like it. Skylanders: I hear the about toys come to life thing. Bang, I am hooked. Disney Infinity:Toys come to life. Meh. Been there. Done that. Got the T-Shirt. You see my point?

I hear what you are saying. The reason for the new thread was based off of a article I read this morning here http://www.guardian.co.uk/tech...iew?INTCMP=SRCH
---
ZapNorris Ripto Gems: 5109
#5 Posted: 16:55:23 22/07/2013
yeah. lone ranger flopped and became DM2's *****.
kappapopm Ripto Gems: 1186
#6 Posted: 17:06:26 22/07/2013
these Disney Infinity characters are boring... so not gonna buy it.. i stick to skylanders...
#7 Posted: 17:11:44 22/07/2013 | Topic Creator
Lone Ranger by itself doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the Disney Infinity game as a whole. Granted some of the figures are based on that movie but that is just a small portion of the game. Disney can easily change course and introduce figures and play sets based on their whole universe of properties. And of course Disney is popular, as big as Activision is, Disney dwarfs them by a long shot. John Carter bombed at the movies last year and cost Disney 100's of millions of dollars but they easily recovered. Lone Ranger isn't going to kill them either. I think that it is a good chance for Johnny Depp to consider retiring at this point....but that discussion belongs on an entirely different forum all together.

Back on topic thought. I am just really curious how all this is going to play out in the fall. Skylanders has been huge for two years now without any competition whatsoever. Activision has big plans, in the figure department any way, with Swap Force coming out. I just hope the game is going to hold up to their figure ambitions.
---
GameMaster78 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3321
#8 Posted: 17:13:00 22/07/2013
Disney's popularity is the only going for Infinity in my eyes. Everything else about the game is crap. I've been able to buy Little Big Planet 2 for the past 2 years, or Minecraft. If I want to waste my life building levels for others to enjoy at the expense of time, which could be used to actually make a living, I would have bought those two games.

No permanent upgrading, no freedom to play as any character in any world, and playsets that will be hit or miss due to the genre they fall under (stealth for one, racing for another, action/platformer for another), means not all playsets will resonate with all gamers.

Yet, when I play Skylanders, I don't have to worry about characters only getting to play in certain worlds. There's actually a HUB to walk around and explore, there's actually a story behind the Skylanders brand, Heroics/Bonus Missions, and Skylanders that can do unique things (Swaplanders).

"IF" Infinity competes, it will be on name alone. There is nothing that just makes me hyped for it, like I am hyped for Swap Force. The only thing is has over Skylanders - in my opinion - is the fact you can actually preorder figures/playsets. However, that may only be the launch wave. No one knows if you can preorder future waves yet.

If Activision fixed that one issue, you would see this gamer at the store preordering 4 of every figure (18 of every Swaplander).
---
Wii U: GameMaster1178, XBL: GameMaster1178, PSN: megax28
#9 Posted: 17:19:32 22/07/2013 | Topic Creator
Quote: kappapopm
these Disney Infinity characters are boring... so not gonna buy it.. i stick to skylanders...

I agree, the figures are nothing spectacular to look at and certainly don't utilize the imagination that goes into the Skylanders figures. My thoughts are more based on the game itself. The article I referenced made parallels to games like LPB and Minecraft within Infinity's toy box game mode. It is stuff like that I think will get consumers to take notice, even if the figures aren't as neat to look at as Skylanders are.
---
#10 Posted: 17:29:16 22/07/2013
Quote: TheGooch
Lone Ranger by itself doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the Disney Infinity game as a whole.

I know, but need I remind you that it is NOT the only flop that Disney has had recently? Cars 2 and John Carter come to mind instantly. (I know you already mentioned John Carter, but still.)
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 17:31:33 22/07/2013 by MugoUrth
Windumup Emerald Sparx Gems: 3217
#11 Posted: 17:39:59 22/07/2013
Skylanders rule and DI is for fools.

Skylanders for life
---
Ugh I wish my body wasn't a mess
isaac343018s Emerald Sparx Gems: 4478
#12 Posted: 18:36:42 22/07/2013
I like both, and will be getting both......Be I apparently the only person on here who thinks so......
wreckingballbob Emerald Sparx Gems: 4565
#13 Posted: 20:03:13 22/07/2013
Even if Disney Infinity does better I think Skylanders will still continue making way better games.
---
Takadox360 Gold Sparx Gems: 2852
#14 Posted: 20:42:20 22/07/2013
Infinity wont last as long as Skylanders.Mabey 2 games and then its over.
---
i am trash
#15 Posted: 20:42:40 22/07/2013
Quote: isaac343018s
I like both, and will be getting both......Be I apparently the only person on here who thinks so......

wallet gonna hurts...
#16 Posted: 20:43:22 22/07/2013
^ Wallet gonna die.
---
i am trash
#17 Posted: 21:10:21 22/07/2013
^like broootal deth........
Rickorio Gold Sparx Gems: 2463
#18 Posted: 21:29:52 22/07/2013
There's no way I'm buy this game, I mean seeiously, besides Kingdom Hearts, all of Disney's games have been a bust. Plus, there's no creativity that they can put into the game, besides adding new characters, Skylanders can do anything they want with their characters. Plus, even thigh the little kids don't know that what they are making they parents buy is crap, thy will soon realize their mistake and probably only play the game for a few days, then go back to skylanders. Anyway, sorry for typing this random jumble of words that probably don't make sense to anyone, so, you get my point. IMO the only thing that DI has for it is the fact it was made by Disney.
---
#hu
Haseo Blue Sparx Gems: 889
#19 Posted: 23:08:03 22/07/2013
I love many of Disney movies, but most games made after movies suck v.v and they don't have any back story for why we need toys to play the game, they could have made the game with out them, while skylanders are toys that were sent here and we need to summon them with our portals to save skylands
---
-something-
Ninpire Gold Sparx Gems: 2951
#20 Posted: 23:27:47 22/07/2013
Quote: Rickorio
There's no way I'm buy this game, I mean seeiously, besides Kingdom Hearts, all of Disney's games have been a bust. Plus, there's no creativity that they can put into the game, besides adding new characters, Skylanders can do anything they want with their characters. Plus, even thigh the little kids don't know that what they are making they parents buy is crap, thy will soon realize their mistake and probably only play the game for a few days, then go back to skylanders. Anyway, sorry for typing this random jumble of words that probably don't make sense to anyone, so, you get my point. IMO the only thing that DI has for it is the fact it was made by Disney.

I thought epic Mickey was good
groovemachine Green Sparx Gems: 117
#21 Posted: 23:33:05 22/07/2013
I don't know anything about Disney Infinity and I will only get it if there are some cool Uncle Scrooge or Donald Duck elements.
#22 Posted: 00:06:51 23/07/2013
Quote: Ninpire

I thought epic Mickey was good

Really? I got it for Christmas and I only played it on that day.
---
#hu
#23 Posted: 00:40:42 23/07/2013
I did see the Money Bin in the SDCC 2013 video, but I expect the Ducktales reference to begin and end there.
---
#24 Posted: 00:41:57 23/07/2013
SDCC? What's that? Skylanders Da Cash Cow?
---
#hu
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 00:42:51 23/07/2013 by Rickorio
Will171717 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1208
#25 Posted: 00:51:16 23/07/2013
San Diego Comic Con
---
henlo
#26 Posted: 01:03:14 23/07/2013
Oh, that make sense (I was hoping some1 would laugh at my joke smilie)
---
#hu
TaistoHydreigon Red Sparx Gems: 28
#27 Posted: 02:07:41 23/07/2013
SDCC? What's that? Skylanders Da Cash Cow?

hehheh
---
Taisto~
I am new dude here! ~Digimon forever~
I have Skylanders team in my profile. You should join!
JetVac96 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1973
#28 Posted: 04:59:42 23/07/2013
For those saying The Lone Ranger flopped it has actually grossed more money after it's release date AND it is a good movie. I believe critics were told to give Despicable Me 2 all the attention since both movies were released July 3rd.
---
"Sucks to be you!" - Jet Vac
JetVac96 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1973
#29 Posted: 05:01:24 23/07/2013
Quote: isaac343018s

Don't worry I'm here to defend both games too!
---
"Sucks to be you!" - Jet Vac
isaac343018s Emerald Sparx Gems: 4478
#30 Posted: 06:04:28 23/07/2013
Thank you Jet-Vac......

To Kappa and Taka: It's not like Im getting the entire collection for each! I'm just getting like 4 figures for Infinity and enough to be able to get every treasure in SSF......

Not all of us try to find every last single figure, Im perfectly fine with just my 18 Skylanders.....
longsh0t Yellow Sparx Gems: 1293
#31 Posted: 19:29:32 23/07/2013
Infinity doesn't need to "stand up against" anything. 2 separate games, 2 separate franchises. One isn't going to collapse if the other is more successful. Whatever happened to people just buying what they enjoy playing?
---
E . · '/· . F
Your Tears Fuel Me
Trading Card List
JCat Yellow Sparx Gems: 1540
#32 Posted: 19:44:49 23/07/2013
Honestly, it's kinda bad to compare Skylanders to Infinity. Now before you are like: GMO Another person thinking one game is better than the other. No that's not what I'm saying at all. The fact is, the only thing these two game really have in common is the fact that you use toys as the playable characters. Take away that fact and their pretty much two completely different games. Skylanders is a group of heroes that try to defeat an evil villian in a Dungeon crawler style adventure. Disney Infinity is more a collection of Disney games *hence each show set having their own storyline and gameplay stype to boot.* With the addition of a "game creator" technology with it's Toy box feature. *Game Informer was saying how you could do things like, make a Mario type game, racing game, or even a soccer game* Thus really these two games are not really close enough to compare to each other and this "One game will trump the other" is pretty dumb. People just like to compare and make "fueds" for no reason. And there's no reason why there can't be both Disney Infinity and Skylanders.
---
Main Team: smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
~N~
SkylandFollower Green Sparx Gems: 151
#33 Posted: 20:12:39 23/07/2013
[User Posted Image]
[User Posted Image]

why dont we jest
jee i dunno

s t o p - c o m p e r r i n g - s u c h - t o t a l l i e - d i f f u r e n t - g a m e s - t i s - w a e
a n d - j u s t - e n j o y - t h e m - f e r - w a t - t e h y - r

g

o

d
SilentButDeadly Gold Sparx Gems: 2086
#34 Posted: 20:20:36 23/07/2013
Man. I love how some of you guys are such dedicated defenders of Skylanders that you're willing to call Disney Infinity crap even if you know little about it.

DI looks like a decent game. It certainly has more potential replay value than Skylanders, since you can create your own levels and play multiple games.

The only problem I have with DI is how goddamn expensive it is, and the fact that it doesn't have any classic Disney characters in it. So I'll probably go for Swap Force. SF is at least less expensive and starts off in a colorful new world.
---
cbunny84 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1403
#35 Posted: 20:37:11 23/07/2013
Disney may do well but its debatable since skylanders started the idea. I heard they will bring out more characters later but personally I don't care much for the "3d" characters. Give me the old ink and paint club characters, then I will be oogling the heck out of it but until then, Meh. Disney has reaccuring so they cover fan bases. Skylandrrd always bring out something old and new so they keep fans and create new ones. So it really depends on who's interested in what. Not who does it better.
---
new edition: smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie
Shroomy Green Sparx Gems: 185
#36 Posted: 20:44:43 23/07/2013
I already have Little Big Planet and Skylanders, I don't think I need Disney characters running around in either of them. smilie

Really though, the gameplay doesn't look fun to me in Infinity from what I have seen and the ads for it make me really confused. I don't know what they're trying to make their game about?

Also I don't think the toys save information to them specifically like Skylanders do (hats, attacks, levels, nicknames, etc.) so I don't see the point in having them all? If I am right then, they're not very special, they just seem to unlock content and load a character in. They don't have "brains" like Skylanders do. I also don't really find any of the currently announced Infinity characters too appealing. I like a lot of Disney characters, they just haven't announced any I have liked so far.
---
--Long Time Lurker--
#37 Posted: 21:45:18 23/07/2013
Disney Infinity will fail hard its a fact...
#38 Posted: 21:54:25 23/07/2013 | Topic Creator
I didn't create this thread in hopes of starting any wars. I was simply looking for honest opinions of the two games, not to draw on fan-boy and fan-girl ire. I think I made that completely clear in my initial post. I think that it is hard not to compare the two games but that doesn't necessarily mean that the two of them are similar either. Nobody said that you couldn't like one over the other or both for that matter so calm down. I appreciate all of you that have actually added to this thread rather than just complain about it. Isn't it obvious that Disney has borrowed (or stolen) the Skylanders business model so now it is a question as to how each game turns out. Skylanders has a 2 year fan base lead on Infinity so we could see that nobody will be interested in another type of game like this. The two games could be completely different, have different audiences and co-exist together. Or perhaps Infinity will have all these added features that Skylanders doesn't have that will appeal to more gamers. These are all questions that don't have answers yet but I thought it would be interesting to discuss it. Like I said, I have no interest in buying Infinity, but at the same time it looks like it does offer some pretty cool features. We are all friends here people. We all enjoy Skylanders or we probably wouldn't be part of this forum. The fanboy/girl chest pounding isn't necessary here.

Your friend,

TheGooch
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 23:10:45 23/07/2013 by TheGooch
#39 Posted: 22:29:31 23/07/2013
Quote: kappapopm
Disney Infinity will fail hard its a fact...

^This x100000
The shelfs are going to stay full the whole time and they have to give them away for free like at e3 smilie
---
i am trash
Will171717 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1208
#40 Posted: 22:59:32 23/07/2013
But I hope places keep skylanders stocked not just infinity figures
---
henlo
MoonHorizons Gold Sparx Gems: 2826
#41 Posted: 23:09:27 23/07/2013
Disney Infinity won't last long. It's not too appealing looking and holy living poo, the prices make this a game for millionares to play. Plus upgrades get kept on a different coin which is a huge pitfall for me. Not going to buy this game unless it makes a huge amaze factor.
---
the more obscure your favorite cartoons are, the more refined your taste is
#42 Posted: 00:01:05 24/07/2013
I'm not taking sides because I'm a fan-boy of Skylanders, I just don't like the look of Infinity AT ALL. Now that's just my opinion, I do like their movies, and a few of their shows, but, when it comes to games (besides Kingdom Hearts) the only thing going for them is the fact that they are made by Disney.
---
#hu
TheShadowDragon Ripto Gems: 2886
#43 Posted: 00:13:52 24/07/2013
I've always despise Disney with every fiber in my entire being. I wouldn't mind if Warner Bros. created a video game based on this with the Looney Tunes in it, because I love Warner Bros. I'm sure Skylanders will do a much more successful business than Disney Infinity.
spyrobeta Green Sparx Gems: 237
#44 Posted: 00:21:02 24/07/2013
Disneys actually looks 5X better in every way. Better camera angle, better gameplay, and its like minecraft, but disney.

Its basically what would happen if Skylanders, Minecraft and Little Big Planet had a baby.
---
Spyro Classic Fan forever. I highly despise Activision and Skylanders. Problem? Shove it.
#45 Posted: 00:28:55 24/07/2013
Yeah, and that baby married the Grim Reaper.
---
#hu
GhostRoaster Yellow Sparx Gems: 1803
#46 Posted: 02:10:34 24/07/2013
Quote: MoonHorizons
Disney Infinity won't last long. It's not too appealing looking and holy living poo, the prices make this a game for millionares to play. Plus upgrades get kept on a different coin which is a huge pitfall for me. Not going to buy this game unless it makes a huge amaze factor.

I bet Activision might actually try and be competitive now. I hope DI stays for a long time; because from what I see that's the only way Activision will bring more content (sorry but creating a bunch of toys is not enough).

I'm not taking sides because I'm a fan-boy of Skylanders, I just don't like the look of Infinity AT ALL. Now that's just my opinion, I do like their movies, and a few of their shows, but, when it comes to games (besides Kingdom Hearts) the only thing going for them is the fact that they are made by Disney.

This looks at least AS GOOD as Skylanders, but man you can program your own levels and environments. That's a heckuva lot of capabilities...heck at least they have online capability. Three gens in and we're basically being served re-heated content (Hi-res not withstanding; but frankly the decision to make Wii the platform of choice was their first mistake 5 years ago).

Quote: TheShadowDragon
I've always despise Disney with every fiber in my entire being. I wouldn't mind if Warner Bros. created a video game based on this with the Looney Tunes in it, because I love Warner Bros. I'm sure Skylanders will do a much more successful business than Disney Infinity.

Actually, I hope this game is Activision's Empire Strikes Back and they are relentlessly being pursued by the evil Disney Empire. It's only through trials do we get better, and I think DI will test the franchise. Which means maybe we'll get more innovation other than jump and hi-res on the next release. (not counting the swapping capability as that's part of the toy; talking about the game itself)
---
RIP GhostRoaster. He's reanimated as TakeYourLemons but occasionally is resurrected from the beyond when needed.
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 02:14:39 24/07/2013 by GhostRoaster
#47 Posted: 02:16:11 24/07/2013 | Topic Creator
Right on GhostRoaster. Competition can be a very good thing.
---
#48 Posted: 02:53:44 24/07/2013
I might be alone, but in all honesty I could care less about online play.
BigGuy0810 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1633
#49 Posted: 03:09:31 24/07/2013
Quote: MugoUrth
I might be alone, but in all honesty I could care less about online play.

I think you mean "couldn't care less"
#50 Posted: 03:28:40 24/07/2013
Building levels while not making money always gives me the idea that one could take that time and make a living with it.

It's like the developers are making millions off of those who are wasting their lives making levels that won't get them anywhere in life. The same could be said about playing games in general, but with beating games, you get the satisfaction that you completed a game on your own time.

If I were to build a level to upload, I don't get any satisfaction other than other people may play it. No money gained, no game beaten, time wasted.

It's why I never play Minecraft, Little Big Planet 1/2, and why I won't be building anything with Infinity. I would rather "build" a good script that could net me anywhere from 1-5 million dollars (depending on if my movies are worth that much in the eyes of whatever studio buys it). I look at it like this, if Shyamalan can get 5 million for the later duds he made, what could I get for movies I think Hollywood "might" be impressed with?
---
Page 1 of 3 | Next | Last
1 2 3

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me