Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Stuff and Nonsense > police shoots dog, was it justified? (WARNING GRAPHIC)
Page 1 of 2 | Last
1 2
police shoots dog, was it justified? (WARNING GRAPHIC) [CLOSED]
aran Emerald Sparx Gems: 4040
#1 Posted: 10:40:19 03/07/2013 | Topic Creator
so here is the story..
there was an armed robbery, and the robber was held up in a house( stand off). this guy with his dog was videotaping the cops and was asking " why are there no black cops" at this point the cops went to arrest him and the guy put his dog in the car. the dog jumps out of the car and jumps on the cop and the cop shoots the dog smilie

so was the cops in the wrong shooting the dog, or was it the owner aggravating the cops?
Edited 5 times - Last edited at 16:43:59 03/07/2013 by wakapro77
thumper Ripto Gems: 3519
#2 Posted: 11:34:46 03/07/2013
Thanks for the warning. I feel that the dog was only trying to protect his master. However, the dog was being aggressive. Mixed emotions is what I have about this. A very sad outcome.

Note to other users: try not to watch this, it is rather upsetting to watch. smilie
Crystal Dragon Diamond Sparx Gems: 8850
#3 Posted: 11:51:18 03/07/2013
Okay, I'll throw in my two cents.
I think the cops are in the wrong for shooting the dog. It seems like the shooting was a knee-jerk reaction.

The cops aggravated the dog, especially the one cop that shot the dog. They were taking his owner away, and the dog saw it as him being threatened and so ran to his side. From what I see he did not lunge for any of the cops, he was trying to get past them to get to his owner. The dog made one aggressive move when that cop reached down/waved his hand in front of it, putting himself in that dog's face (which you should never do) and it responded by jumping up at him. He provoked the dog, yet the dog paid with its life.

They had justification to arrest the man (on grounds of interfering, possibly) still, it looks like he asked a question and the cops arrested him, without asking the man to stop. They also had the option to simply ignore him, but no. We have to arrest everyone.

Kudos to the owner of the dog, though. He did not cause a scene by fighting back, and did the right thing by putting his dog in the vehicle. But no person who does right goes unpunished in today's world.

Cops should be trained for situations involving animals and pets, given how many people own dogs, so that somebody else isn't subjected to watching their buddy die.
arceustheprime Ripto Gems: 5362
#4 Posted: 11:57:42 03/07/2013
>aran topic
[User Posted Image]
spyro and sonic Diamond Sparx Gems: 8318
#5 Posted: 12:08:42 03/07/2013
No, it wasn't justified.
Sleepy0429 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3217
#6 Posted: 12:25:40 03/07/2013
Quote: arceustheprime
>aran topic
[User Posted Image]

Get out please.
---
dark52 let me change my username you coward
azz01 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3172
#7 Posted: 12:27:59 03/07/2013
I knew I hated the cops,how dare they.The man did nothing wrong he just asked a question.I hope that cop is fired.I hate cops because they fell like they have power and do not have to follow the law even though they in force it.I hate it when an animal dies.
---
Call me the penguin man for that is who I am. Also stan LOOΠΔ!
#8 Posted: 12:30:12 03/07/2013 | Topic Creator
>aran topic
[User Posted Image]

how did this aran meme even start?
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 12:39:55 03/07/2013 by aran
#9 Posted: 12:34:10 03/07/2013
Quote: aran
>aran topic
[User Posted Image]

Bravo?
---
#10 Posted: 12:40:03 03/07/2013 | Topic Creator
any ways, with this video, i think both the cop and the owner where in the wrong...
when there is a stand off with a armed robber, you should really let cops do there thing and back off. with the video, you can see him walking around the cop cars and repentantly asking them stupid questions ( i think he was trying to pick a fight with the cops, and video tape it) :/

and the cop did a really stupid thing. he could have used a taser, or shot the ground to make a load noise, he could have also let the owner go so he can put his dog back in the car.....
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 12:40:49 03/07/2013 by aran
Kitty Platinum Sparx Gems: 5106
#11 Posted: 12:43:37 03/07/2013
As soon as they shot the dog I started bawling my eyes out.

Oh, my God.
#12 Posted: 13:28:48 03/07/2013
Quote: Sleepy0429
>aran topic
[User Posted Image]

Bravo?

why is it that apparently bravo starts everything now
im pretty sure the aran topic thing started before bravo even appeared
#13 Posted: 13:29:00 03/07/2013
The cops should be fired and put in jail.
---
somePerson Diamond Sparx Gems: 8470
#14 Posted: 13:49:45 03/07/2013
Well if you're a person with a weapon, and a dog jumps at you wanting to kill you what do you do
Spyro Fanatic Hunter Gems: 12122
#15 Posted: 14:01:46 03/07/2013
Oh boy, these topics. What do you expect the people here to say? A site filled with children who always seem to think animals can do no harm, of course no bias will result from that. smilie
#16 Posted: 14:05:07 03/07/2013 | Topic Creator
Quote: Spyro Fanatic
Oh boy, these topics. What do you expect the people here to say? A site filled with children who always seem to think animals can do no harm, of course no bias will result from that. smilie

but that's how we grow.....
Metallo Platinum Sparx Gems: 6419
#17 Posted: 14:10:37 03/07/2013

- - -

Let me just start by saying, I LOVE animals. Therefore, personally, I wouldn't have shot the dog, I would've just tried to kick/push it away or something, but we don't know this cop's story. He might've had a phobia of dogs and flipped out for all we know, and if that's the case, we can't really blame him. I think that the police department should offer some kind of compensation to the man, whether it be money or some other kind of gift, but I don't think the cop should get in any legal trouble. We can't judge him nor anyone in this situation.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 14:14:21 03/07/2013 by Metallo
#18 Posted: 14:13:01 03/07/2013

thank you
#19 Posted: 14:21:46 03/07/2013
Quote: Crystal Dragon
Kudos to the owner of the dog, though. He did not cause a scene by fighting back, and did the right thing by putting his dog in the vehicle. But no person who does right goes unpunished in today's world.

No, he didn't. He left the window open, he should've known better than that. He should have attached and locked the dog's leash to something, like a telephone pole or streetlamp.
Samius Hunter Gems: 9252
#20 Posted: 14:47:27 03/07/2013
I was wondering when this topic would be made here. I think this whole thing is pretty obvious.

A lot of people are saying that the dog was only trying to protect it's owner, but so was the police only trying to defend himself. He didn't plan on shooting the dog, and wasn't trying to make it angry.
If we ignore the police's motivation for shooting the dog, we should also ignore the dog's motivation for attacking the police.

Yeah, sure the dog's owner did put his dog in the car (from which it escaped by it's own), and didn't resist as the police came to detain him, but he did an absolutely idiotic thing by going to harass the police in the first place.
It's against the law, and the police were also trying to handle a dangerous, life-threatening situation at the moment.
In doing so, the dog's owner put his own life at risk and also hindered the police operation, all this for seemingly nothing else but his own amusement. What kinda moron does that?

And now, I don't approve of the police shooting the dog, but I don't approve of the dog attacking the police either. I think that the dog's owner was most at fault here.

Anyway, onto the real thing. This site is full of kids - you savvy? Get that in. Your. Head.
You can't really expect to get a clear, objective answer out of them. Especially since you just showed them how an animal was shot dead.
That being said, you shouldn't have posted this topic. Really. Even if the admin and the mods let it pass.
#21 Posted: 14:50:12 03/07/2013
Quote: Samius
I was wondering when this topic would be made here. I think this whole thing is pretty obvious.

A lot of people are saying that the dog was only trying to protect it's owner, but so was the police only trying to defend himself. He didn't plan on shooting the dog, and wasn't trying to make it angry.
If we ignore the police's motivation for shooting the dog, we should also ignore the dog's motivation for attacking the police.

Yeah, sure the dog's owner did put his dog in the car (from which it escaped by it's own), and didn't resist as the police came to detain him, but he did an absolutely idiotic thing by going to harass the police in the first place.
It's against the law, and the police were also trying to handle a dangerous, life-threatening situation at the moment.
In doing so, the dog's owner put his own life at risk and also hindered the police operation, all this for seemingly nothing else but his own amusement. What kinda moron does that?

And now, I don't approve of the police shooting the dog, but I don't approve of the dog attacking the police either. I think that the dog's owner was most at fault here.

Anyway, onto the real thing. This site is full of kids - you savvy? Get that in. Your. Head.
You can't really expect to get a clear, objective answer out of them. Especially since you just showed them how an animal was shot dead.
That being said, you shouldn't have posted this topic. Really. Even if the admin and the mods let it pass.

Why are you not a mod?

And yes, aran. I know posting controversial topics is kind of "your thing", just like DC's obsession with Hunger Games, but you shouldn't have posted this one. You saw the response I got for the topic about me killing the snake. If people lashed out at me like that, for killing a deadly beast, how would they react to a domestic animal being killed?
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 14:53:30 03/07/2013 by Metallo
Rand O M Gold Sparx Gems: 2223
#22 Posted: 14:56:24 03/07/2013
He did it too protect himself. But there are other ways than just shooting the dog, maybe... But what would you do in the situation, would you let the dog attack you, shoot it or find a clever way to get it off. The cops first instinct was to shoot, a very bad call, but hey what would you have done if that happened to you. As much as I love animals, especially dogs, if I had to choose between letting it attack me or shooting it-my only two options I could have- I would have shot it, but not to kill it. Probably shoot its paw. But I don't understand why they arrested the guy, just because of one remark. I mean come on, is it seriously what this country has come to. The police are violating rights like freedom of speech. Makes you wonder if this is such a great country to live in since it has sooooo much freedom.

Edit ok after reading what Samius wrote about the guy now I understand and he should have kept his mouth shut.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 15:00:11 03/07/2013 by Rand O M
Crystal Dragon Diamond Sparx Gems: 8850
#23 Posted: 15:01:53 03/07/2013
Quote: Metallo

No, he didn't. He left the window open, he should've known better than that. He should have attached and locked the dog's leash to something, like a telephone pole or streetlamp.

Mind you, the dog didn't flip out and jump out of the car until his owner was hidden from view by the officers. You're not supposed to lock a dog in a car with the windows up and no air running.

And who would tie up their dog to the first thing they see, in the street, and then leave that dog unattended with strangers while they spend possibly hours away at a police station?
#24 Posted: 15:02:41 03/07/2013
Quote: Rand O M
He did it too protect himself. But there are other ways than just shooting the dog, maybe... But what would you do in the situation, would you let the dog attack you, shoot it or find a clever way to get it off. The cops first instinct was to shoot, a very bad call, but hey what would you have done if that happened to you. As much as I love animals, especially dogs, if I had to choose between letting it attack me or shooting it-my only two options I could have- I would have shot it, but not to kill it. Probably shoot its paw. But I don't understand why they arrested the guy, just because of one remark. I mean come on, is it seriously what this country has come to. The police are violating rights like freedom of speech. Makes you wonder if this is such a great country to live in since it has sooooo much freedom.

Edit ok after reading what Samius wrote about the guy now I understand and he should have kept his mouth shut.

In a situation like that, you can't really aim. You just do a quick point and shoot.

Mind you, the dog didn't flip out and jump out of the car until his owner was hidden from view by the officers. You're not supposed to lock a dog in a car with the windows up and no air running.

And who would tie up their dog to the first thing they see, in the street, and then leave that dog unattended with strangers while they spend possibly hours away at a police station?

I never said he should lock the dog up in the car. And nobody would've left that dog unattended, when the man said his dog was out there, the police probably would've sent someone to come and get it. If the dog didn't fight back then, then it would probably be safely returned to the man.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 15:04:31 03/07/2013 by Metallo
#25 Posted: 15:04:35 03/07/2013

Why are you not a mod?

And yes, aran. I know posting controversial topics is kind of "your thing", just like DC's obsession with Hunger Games, but you shouldn't have posted this one. You saw the response I got for the topic about me killing the snake. If people lashed out at me like that, for killing a deadly beast, how would they react to a domestic animal being killed?

Yes this is a children's site, but he warned them and if some kid decides to watch that's their fault. I didn't even watch the video because Aran summed up the story in the post. It's the kid's curiosity for coming on to this topic and deciding to play the video even though Aran said not to. I don't think he went to far on this because this is the Internet and if some kid isn't careful then it's their fault.
#26 Posted: 15:07:18 03/07/2013
True, true.
#27 Posted: 15:13:23 03/07/2013

Why are you not a mod?

Yes this is a children's site, but he warned them and if some kid decides to watch that's their fault. I didn't even watch the video because Aran summed up the story in the post. It's the kid's curiosity for coming on to this topic and deciding to play the video even though Aran said not to. I don't think he went to far on this because this is the Internet and if some kid isn't careful then it's their fault.

We are not worried about the mental "scaring" that most likely won't happen. We are annoyed at the prospect of having a terribly one sided argument. This is an argument for adults, children cannot fully comprehend all the factors and aspects of the incident.
#28 Posted: 15:18:26 03/07/2013

I just think there should be a limit for what you can post here. Once he made a topic about a base-jumper, a human being, smashing straight to a brige 200km/h and dying instantly, video included.

Even if you warn people, even if they're not going to lose sleep over it, are things like that really okay to post here?

We are not worried about the mental "scaring" that most likely won't happen. We are annoyed at the prospect of having a terribly one sided argument. This is an argument for adults, children cannot fully comprehend all the factors and aspects of the incident.

This was also my point in the first post I made on this topic. Discussion like this serves no purpose on a forum like this.
#29 Posted: 15:27:57 03/07/2013
Ohhh ok now I understand what you are trying to say. I have to agree there are things that Aran has posted that should not have like that the topic you brought up. I guess I never realized that it is a one sided argument. And this is a kind of thing for adults to discuss.
DragonCamo Platinum Sparx Gems: 6621
#30 Posted: 15:29:48 03/07/2013
*doesn't put my 2 cents as fear of getting lashed out for it*
---
Gay 4 GARcher
#31 Posted: 15:53:36 03/07/2013
Quote: DragonCamo
*doesn't put my 2 cents as fear of getting lashed out for it*

Let me guess, you think the cop in question should be a Tribute? smilie
#32 Posted: 15:57:26 03/07/2013 | Topic Creator

he could have tied the dog to the hanger thing up above car door :/

Quote:

children are not mentally disabled; they can comprehend quite a bit
#33 Posted: 16:22:16 03/07/2013
Quote:

No, they are not. Childrens brains work differently than adult brains. It's a scientific fact. Plus they don't have as much experience with things. Their judgements are often based on their mood, and the feelings that they feel due to their experiences.
Fear, hatred, amusement, disgust, confusion, putting those feelings aside requires a level of maturity.
I'm not saying they can't make correct judgements, but to be honest I've yet to see a kid repeatedly do so.

Anyhow, I'm sure you didn't completely ignore what has been tossed around this topic in a good couple of posts. That this forum isn't a great place for topics like this in general.
Not saying it's against the rules, as this particular one hasn't been moderated yet, just.. ..Think on it, okay?
#34 Posted: 16:42:02 03/07/2013 | Topic Creator
Quote:

No, they are not. Childrens brains work differently than adult brains. It's a scientific fact. Plus they don't have as much experience with things. Their judgements are often based on their mood, and the feelings that they feel due to their experiences.
Fear, hatred, amusement, disgust, confusion, putting those feelings aside requires a level of maturity.
I'm not saying they can't make correct judgements, but to be honest I've yet to see a kid repeatedly do so.

Anyhow, I'm sure you didn't completely ignore what has been tossed around this topic in a good couple of posts. That this forum isn't a great place for topics like this in general.
Not saying it's against the rules, as this particular one hasn't been moderated yet, just.. ..Think on it, okay?

i have been thinking about turning it down.... i know this is a kid site, but i feel like if i do topics that are unexpected that spice things up on this site where we can have really heavy debates or throw people off guard smilie

sigh... i wish dark 52 would make mature forum where people can post headed stuff like this :/
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 16:42:51 03/07/2013 by aran
wakapro77 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4196
#35 Posted: 16:44:58 03/07/2013
Aran, do not post graphic image or videos here EVEN IF it's spoiler'd. It's really not something you should post. :c
---
hence, the yiffening shall come

I submit my art on my tumblr. PM me for the link.
#36 Posted: 16:49:01 03/07/2013 | Topic Creator
Quote: wakapro77
Aran, do not post graphic image or videos here EVEN IF it's spoiler'd. It's really not something you should post. :c

but i did warn about it mutable times :/
and what about links smilie
ace Gold Sparx Gems: 2982
#37 Posted: 16:50:42 03/07/2013
I love dogs, and the situation is sad but the cop was justified in his reaction. The real blame falls on the owner for being an idiot. The call was about an armed robbery. The man was repeatedly told to turn down his music as it was spilling over and interrupting the investigation. He is the one who decided to further instigate. The cops came over to arrest him for interrupting an investigation so they could get back to what they were doing. It wouldnt have killed him or the dog to roll up the window just a bit -.- I mean that was a BIG dog, there was quite a bit of room for it to escape and the owner should have realized this.The dog was an innocent bystandard in this situation. It was just trying to protect its owner. It cant understand that the owner is being detained for his own actions. As for the cop, his reaction didnt have to be lethal, but we also dont know his full story. Police have a right to protect themselves just as much as anyone else and a dog can be considered a weapon. Pulling the gun seemed like a reaction that escalated into an overreaction after the first 2 shots. You dont really have too much time to think when you are unexpectedly attacked by a dog (i know from experience) It could have been handled better but i dont think the cop deserves the backlash he is getting, especially after his name, number, email, and address were leaked
---
Praise Helix!!!
#38 Posted: 16:51:35 03/07/2013

Aran. You don't post graphic ANYTHING showing that, even if there ARE warnings. It's not right especially since the age group of this site cannot handle things that happen. Just because YOU can handle it, does not mean everyone else can.

You have to THINK before you post because most people PROBABLY don't want to see the brutal death of a dog.
---

#39 Posted: 16:57:07 03/07/2013
If you look closely when the dog first runs up, it'll lunge at the officer in question. It wouldn't do that unless it was seriously trying to bite him.
#40 Posted: 16:59:38 03/07/2013 | Topic Creator
^ i also saw that :/

Aran. You don't post graphic ANYTHING showing that, even if there ARE warnings. It's not right especially since the age group of this site cannot handle things that happen. Just because YOU can handle it, does not mean everyone else can.

You have to THINK before you post because most people PROBABLY don't want to see the brutal death of a dog.

sigh thats why there where warnings. i also told the story, so even if you did not want to watch the video you would still know what happened, and if they wanted to watch the video, but not the death of the dog, i told what time they should pause the video :/

unless the kids here are masochistic, the kids who watched the video wanted to see the video. if they did not want to watch the video, THEN DON'T WATCH THE VIDEO.... it's so simple
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 17:00:11 03/07/2013 by aran
Underian Emerald Sparx Gems: 3095
#41 Posted: 17:00:53 03/07/2013
This isn't the first time I've heard a dog was shot by the police. As a person who owns a dog and cares for it, I don't think it was justified. The dog may have been aggressing but you didn't have to shoot it!
#42 Posted: 17:03:13 03/07/2013

sigh thats why there where warnings. i also told the story, so even if you did not want to watch the video you would still know what happened, and if they wanted to watch the video, but not the death of the dog, i told what time they should pause the video :/

unless the kids here are masochistic, the kids who watched the video wanted to see the video. if they did not want to watch the video, THEN DON'T WATCH THE VIDEO.... it's so simple

but
I am saying

YOU DON'T POST THE VIDEO FOR BEING GRAPHIC. A description is enough!
---

#43 Posted: 17:04:51 03/07/2013
Quote: Underian
This isn't the first time I've heard a dog was shot by the police. As a person who owns a dog and cares for it, I don't think it was justified. The dog may have been aggressing but you didn't have to shoot it!

Like I said, you can't really judge the guy. He might've been on the verge of crapping himself. And I bet that if you were in that situation you'd probably use lethal force, too.
Bravo101 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1482
#44 Posted: 17:05:33 03/07/2013
Quote: Sleepy0429

Bravo?

why is it that apparently bravo starts everything now
im pretty sure the aran topic thing started before bravo even appeared

Yeah wtf.
#45 Posted: 17:09:21 03/07/2013
Quote:

I can see you did not understand my previous statement at all.

It's more like getting a child to understand university level medicine rather than a child not having a physical inability to understand at all. You have to build experience and knowledge first before you can make a reasonable and educated judgement.
#46 Posted: 17:09:48 03/07/2013

you do realize how curious kids are, right?
Bravo101 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1482
#47 Posted: 17:12:45 03/07/2013
**** da popo
SolemnWhisper Yellow Sparx Gems: 1054
#48 Posted: 17:47:51 03/07/2013
Yeah well, the police in 'MURICA also peppersprayed a six year old with a mental disability.
Brightscales Ripto Gems: 445
#49 Posted: 17:52:50 03/07/2013
that video on youtube should have an age rating
Page 1 of 2 | Last
1 2

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me