Page 1 of 2 | Last
1 2
anyone else contemplating... [CLOSED]
Gaiaknight Blue Sparx Gems: 792
#1 Posted: 08:24:22 06/03/2013 | Topic Creator
quitting skylanders after swap force? I love this series but if its gonna continue to be a yearly franchise then i might have to call it quits after the 3rd game i cant keep spending the huge amounts of money that go into getting the figures each year. I was already a little upset when i heard that you would have to buy reposes to unlock challenges in giants but when i read that there was a series 3 for swap force i said screw this im only getting new figures like i did with giants.
---
smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie|smiliesmiliesmiliesmilie|smiliesmiliesmiliesmilie|smiliesmiliesmiliesmilie|smiliesmiliesmiliesmilie|smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
IJJusion Green Sparx Gems: 136
#2 Posted: 09:02:49 06/03/2013
generally when i choose to quit something i quit, i dont plan a year in advance as to what im going to do

i guess im just not as organized as some.
kappapopm Ripto Gems: 1186
#3 Posted: 12:32:29 06/03/2013
swap force ain't made by toys for bob and that we can clearly see in the figurines design and game play style. so swap force is like a totally different game, even spyro will not be in that game... you will not miss out much by the look of it anyway.

so why not take a year off and save your money and just enjoy what you got from ssa/sg. then see what skylanders4 made by toys for bob have to offer next year.. that is what i am gonna do.
Edited 5 times - Last edited at 12:36:19 06/03/2013 by kappapopm
slambam104 Gold Sparx Gems: 2464
#4 Posted: 12:39:19 06/03/2013
Quote: Gaiaknight
quitting skylanders after swap force? I love this series but if its gonna continue to be a yearly franchise then i might have to call it quits after the 3rd game i cant keep spending the huge amounts of money that go into getting the figures each year. I was already a little upset when i heard that you would have to buy reposes to unlock challenges in giants but when i read that there was a series 3 for swap force i said screw this im only getting new figures like i did with giants.

Hmmm never thought of it that way....
Hexin_Wishes Yellow Sparx Gems: 1522
#5 Posted: 12:47:46 06/03/2013
The series won't last that long after it anyways. Not because they're bad games (though, quite frankly, they are not very good games considering the "epic" quality of the concept) but because it's expensive! Not to mention they have a competitor that will "force" most parents to divide their dollar and some will even reject Skylands for that Toy Box.
GamingMaster_76 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1271
#6 Posted: 13:08:49 06/03/2013
^ Troll above, kids. Just ignore him.

I know I sound like a broken record, but I have to quit this series before Swap Force. I have Giants for my GamePad. I have Spyro's Adventure for everything else. I have Universe as a distraction. I still have lots to do with my figures as it is now. Why should I dump the money on a third set when I'm so happy with what I have? I won't. I'm excercising self-control with this now. I know that I will return to the other games for years and since, like Giants, this is probably going to be the same but just a little fancier, I'm just not gonna buy it. I know I would make myself buy all of the toys because I want to unlock Heroics and they probably will make it so that you need reposes for them, and I can't continue asking for the games and all the figures just for that one feature I enjoy.

There's also the matter of Infinity, which is going to come in 3 months as opposed to at least 6, so I can be more excited for that sooner which I am- it looks like a better game to me and as much as I enjoy playing Skylanders I can't afford them at the same time.

On the other hand, I've started on making customs, maybe if they get popular enough one day I can make a $5 profit on each of them... That would be nice, I'd be able to afford some toys after that.
Quote: Hexin_Wishes
The series won't last that long after it anyways. Not because they're bad games (though, quite frankly, they are not very good games considering the "epic" quality of the concept) but because it's expensive! Not to mention they have a competitor that will "force" most parents to divide their dollar and some will even reject Skylands for that Toy Box.

Yeah, this. Plus they killed Guitair Hero which was doing well IIRC.
Of course we could both be wrong and this could end up being a long-term, long-living cash cow.
#7 Posted: 14:25:56 06/03/2013
@GamingMaster_76

-> me a troll?? nope...

i just say what i see when it comes to swap force and i for sure have no intention to troll... if something should be ignored it is your jar jar postings above here.
GamingMaster_76 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1271
#8 Posted: 14:56:02 07/03/2013
Says the person who had the same doom and gloom attitude to Giants and now hails it just becuase TFB made it. smilie
Everyone wr--- reading this will buy the game and say the same doom and gloom about every game until the franchise is dead.
#9 Posted: 15:45:43 07/03/2013
i think you misunderstand what was going on at the times with giants. what it was about was all these unnecessary variants with heroics you was forced to buy. if you wanted to level up and it kinda still is. but the giant figurines was so broken when it did comes to the stats. that you could easily finish the game with one figurines even in the nightmare mode. but this is a totally another discussion...
Doomslicer Gold Sparx Gems: 2037
#10 Posted: 02:05:07 13/03/2013
I may not quit, but I'll probably buy fewer and fewer each game, might get one or two for Swap force (maybe more if they unveil some ultra-sweet character), but after that, I'll probably just get game starter packs, unless they add weapon slots on the figures...
---
Check out my fanfic Guide to Skylands, my DeviantArt, and my Minecraft skins in my GB!
Tel Prydain Blue Sparx Gems: 903
#11 Posted: 04:06:11 13/03/2013
So just buy the starter kit and pretend that the game is bonus levels for your old characters.
You don't HAVE to buy every single freaken character each time - in fact I find the game a lot more fun when you are limited to a small team.

As I said over on the S:G forum, the funny thing about S:SF toys is that the larger size actually makes me want the toys a lot less. They’re looking more like kid’s toys, and less like something I could display on my bookshelf without feeling a significant amount of shame (I’m likely double the age of most the posters here… maybe even triple… hell, I’m likely old enough to be most people’s father). Certain Skylanders are already off-limits if I think they wouldn’t look good on display.
Most of the S:SA and newlander toys look much like any other video/movie collectable I own, so even when not in use they look great decorating my game room.
But goofy octopus guy? Err… no. No, I think not. If he was in the starter pack he’d spend his days hidden in a draw. The bigger they are, the goofier they look.
If the toys cost too much (or if they look too much like toys and not enough like collectables) I’ll get the bare minimum needed to unlock all the areas and not a character more.
---
My collection: 98/99
Photos: http://s1298.photobucket.com/u...rary/Skylanders
Looking for: smilie
GhostRoaster Yellow Sparx Gems: 1803
#12 Posted: 04:50:49 13/03/2013
Quote: kappapopm
as i see it...

[User Posted Image]
Toys for Bob and Vicarious Visions... the Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde of skyland.

smilie

Maybe THEY ARE Swap Force.

Quote: Tel Prydain
So just buy the starter kit and pretend that the game is bonus levels for your old characters.
You don't HAVE to buy every single freaken character each time - in fact I find the game a lot more fun when you are limited to a small team.

As I said over on the S:G forum, the funny thing about S:SF toys is that the larger size actually makes me want the toys a lot less. They’re looking more like kid’s toys, and less like something I could display on my bookshelf without feeling a significant amount of shame (I’m likely double the age of most the posters here… maybe even triple… hell, I’m likely old enough to be most people’s father). Certain Skylanders are already off-limits if I think they wouldn’t look good on display.
Most of the S:SA and newlander toys look much like any other video/movie collectable I own, so even when not in use they look great decorating my game room.
But goofy octopus guy? Err… no. No, I think not. If he was in the starter pack he’d spend his days hidden in a draw. The bigger they are, the goofier they look.
If the toys cost too much (or if they look too much like toys and not enough like collectables) I’ll get the bare minimum needed to unlock all the areas and not a character more.

I KNOW I can be many member's fathers...age matters not if the technology and game is cool. And the fact I can share it with my family and kids make it all worthwhile. I too agree that some of these new characters look goofier and in fact look "cheap"...and I NEVER thought to display off these skylanders until I saw all of the great displays here. Now I have my entire skylander force in a Detolf glass case foron all to enjoy when we don't play.

Now we have so many of each element as well as reposes that it looks rather redundant. I'm pretty sure we're only getting new characters. I agree with others that I think SF will "jump the shark" in the series because they won't be able to justify character re-purchase and not enough new features in the game and thus will start fading off.
---
RIP GhostRoaster. He's reanimated as TakeYourLemons but occasionally is resurrected from the beyond when needed.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 04:52:21 13/03/2013 by GhostRoaster
#13 Posted: 05:25:18 13/03/2013
Hopefully, the Beings of Avarice will realize this, and start limiting reposes to like maybe 8 or less per game, and add only new characters and worlds. Also a stroyline that takes days to complete would be nice.
---
Check out my fanfic Guide to Skylands, my DeviantArt, and my Minecraft skins in my GB!
Hexin_Wishes Yellow Sparx Gems: 1522
#14 Posted: 05:40:25 13/03/2013
Going back tot eh question: I always think 3 is a good number for most series. I'd have to really see what new things are brought to the table for Skylanders 4 before considering it.

Oh and to clarify my previous statement, I don't mean to claim the series will be over by next game. I am just saying that it's only matter of time before Skylanders loses it's appeal and kids are on to the next thing. It's currently at it's peak.
#15 Posted: 06:15:02 13/03/2013
Activision is rolling in money.
[User Posted Image]
But they won't discontinue it until they've squeezed every last cent out of it. Personally, i'd like to see a good MMO (not the pah'tak that is Skylanders Universe) for it, then they could release updates, and you get awesome bonuses the more characters you have, and characters serve as membership fee (like one figure gets you a month's membership, 5 figs give 6 months, 10 figs give a year, and 20 give 3 years, and maybe some amount to give unlimited). Or a game, much like Infinity, where one game has the ability to include tons of figures and expansions.

Actually, an idea for forwards and backwards compatibility would be to make a special (likely expensive) chip that when scanned by the portal, gives data for newer characters, so they can be used.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 06:15:24 13/03/2013 by Doomslicer
fireofexile Blue Sparx Gems: 703
#16 Posted: 10:47:58 13/03/2013
I just wish there was more to do when the game ends. Usually I have to repeat levels over and over to fully upgrade my Skylanders. Instead of arenas, I'd like to see a survival mode...
DragonsDream Green Sparx Gems: 435
#17 Posted: 11:10:41 13/03/2013
Quote: Doomslicer
Hopefully, the Beings of Avarice will realize this, and start limiting reposes to like maybe 8 or less per game, and add only new characters and worlds. Also a stroyline that takes days to complete would be nice.

given that each level of Giants takes between 45 minutes to over an hour to finish, that is 12 to 16+ hours of game play for one play through of the game. (plus up to another 4 with Adventure packs) For those of us with a life, who can only play video games a few hours a week at most, 16 hours is plenty of time.

Now, if you want to do every difficulty level, that's 4x16 that's 64 hours.

want to do challenges for 40+ characters? at 3 minutes a challenge x 40 characters x 45 challenges=90 hours

21 arena challenges per game, PVP... there is plenty to do. I'm not saying I wouldn't want a longer story mode (I do) but I'm not going to complain that it isn't long enough currently.
---
available: Darklight Crypt smiliesmiliesmilie(sealed), 17 other common S1s & adv. packs (EU only)
want:smiliesmiliesmilie
The word is "should've" never "should of"
#18 Posted: 21:23:30 13/03/2013

You’re thinking like a collector… which is fine, especially considering that anyone interested enough in Skylanders to post on a message board is likely to be a collector, but most non-collectors WANT the reposed characters. Either because they don’t buy every Skylanders every game and they want a character that’s now sold out, or because they are new to the series.

Quote: GhostRoaster

I KNOW I can be many member's fathers...age matters not if the technology and game is cool. And the fact I can share it with my family and kids make it all worthwhile.

Excellent to know I’m not alone. *Old-guy Bro-fist*
Of course, my wife and I don’t have a kid, which makes the entire endeavour a little harder to justify. If anyone ever asks why the 30 year-old guy is buying all those toys, I have to mutter something about nephews and nieces, and hope that the topic isn’t pursued.

Quote: Hexin_Wishes

Oh and to clarify my previous statement, I don't mean to claim the series will be over by next game. I am just saying that it's only matter of time before Skylanders loses it's appeal and kids are on to the next thing. It's currently at it's peak.

There’s also the issue of diminishing returns.
We all expect that each game has every single character from the last game. Skylanders 4 will have 256 swap-force combos AND the 48 S1/S2 figures… over 300 characters they have to implement before they even start working on something new.
At some point the amount of work required to retroactively include every character is going to sink the profitability of the franchise. Each character has to have all their skills, be modelled in the game, be textured, be animated, be play tested to make sure they can’t get stuck in the geometry of the levels, be play tested to make sure their skills/stats aren’t bugged, be balanced, be bug-checked, etc. All that, 300 times.
They’ll either have to phase out support for older characters (perhaps start by cutting out green-based characters for 4, cutting orange based characters for 5, etc) or cut ties totally and make a Skylanders that isn’t Skylanders, requiring all new toys.
---
#19 Posted: 21:50:01 13/03/2013
Quote: fireofexile
I just wish there was more to do when the game ends. Usually I have to repeat levels over and over to fully upgrade my Skylanders. Instead of arenas, I'd like to see a survival mode...

online survival mode played with friends... thats what should be there...
Aura24 Platinum Sparx Gems: 6561
#20 Posted: 21:52:38 13/03/2013
swap force ain't made by toys for bob and that we can clearly see in the figurines design and game play style. so swap force is like a totally different game, even spyro will not be in that game... you will not miss out much by the look of it anyway.

so why not take a year off and save your money and just enjoy what you got from ssa/sg. then see what skylanders4 made by toys for bob have to offer next year.. that is what i am gonna do.

You have proof of that claim, kaps? We know that you hate Swap Force with a burning passion and that you're a TFB purist, but you don't have to keep making claims that only you believe is true.
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 21:53:26 13/03/2013 by Aura24
GhostRoaster Yellow Sparx Gems: 1803
#21 Posted: 21:53:11 13/03/2013
Quote: fireofexile

#1 Complaint for me...give me more content when I get more skylanders---expand the story...ANYTHING but make me grind on already completed boards or HC.

The length of the game should accomodate at least half the skylanders in terms of upgrade/features before having to revisit. It's waayyy too lopsided on number of characters.
---
RIP GhostRoaster. He's reanimated as TakeYourLemons but occasionally is resurrected from the beyond when needed.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 21:54:12 13/03/2013 by GhostRoaster
EmperorKaos Emerald Sparx Gems: 4399
#22 Posted: 22:09:50 13/03/2013
Quote: Aura24

You have proof of that claim, kaps? We know that you hate Swap Force with a burning passion and that you're a TFB purist, but you don't have to keep making claims that only you believe is true.

I dont believe the returning of spyro aswell is not fan favourite no one care about him even a spyro forum dont talk much about him

He did he job, he made skylanders famous
#23 Posted: 22:16:00 13/03/2013
Spyro was considered a fan favorite in Giants when had a S2 model and also appeared in the game. We have no word on all S3 Skylanders yet, so there is really no need to make claims like 'there is no S3 Spyro' when you don't know the full details.
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
#24 Posted: 22:19:55 13/03/2013
its plain simple Vicarious Visions dont have licensing rights to use spyro that is only tfb that have.
#25 Posted: 22:22:08 13/03/2013
its plain simple Vicarious Visions dont have licensing rights to use spyro that is only tfb that have.

I can't believe what I just read. Seriously, Kappa? Really?? Do you really think that? You hate Vicarous Visions so much that only you believe that they can't use Spyro in a Skylanders game?
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 22:23:29 13/03/2013 by Aura24
#26 Posted: 22:28:01 13/03/2013
i have contact i know bobby and have send letters to acti before... so believe what you want.
#27 Posted: 22:31:46 13/03/2013
i have contact i know bobby and have send letters to acti before... so believe what you want.

Where have I heard that lie before? But they confirmed that all Skylanders from the previous games work in Swap Force, so your claim is invalid, since S1 and S2 Spyro is still going to be playable.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 22:32:29 13/03/2013 by Aura24
#28 Posted: 22:43:38 13/03/2013
u better not get me angrey. just saying.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 22:50:48 13/03/2013 by kappapopm
#29 Posted: 22:53:39 13/03/2013
ok fan fauvorite is strong words lets say is less populer them the others
#30 Posted: 22:59:17 13/03/2013
They made Spyro the same role as the other Skylanders, even though he's mentioned as "spiritual foundation" of the whole franchise in an E3 2011 interview.

Perhaps after the fourth or fifth game, I may quit Skylanders.
---
#31 Posted: 23:16:34 13/03/2013
They made Spyro the same role as the other Skylanders, even though he's mentioned as "spiritual foundation" of the whole franchise in an E3 2011 interview.

Perhaps after the fourth or fifth game, I may quit Skylanders.

five i dunno about ... but the fourth are gonna be the best, no time to quit then... its only 3 that smell butt..
#32 Posted: 23:18:48 13/03/2013
^All because it's not made by TFB and has jumping. Yeah, good understandable reason there.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 23:19:23 13/03/2013 by Aura24
X-Treme Ripto Gems: 360
#33 Posted: 23:23:56 13/03/2013
^All because it's not made by TFB and has jumping. Yeah, good understandable reason there.

Way to agree. So true, too.
#34 Posted: 23:25:17 13/03/2013
^seen your youtube, how is Ninjini?
byhi Green Sparx Gems: 117
#35 Posted: 23:29:55 13/03/2013
I think I'll try to pick up the game at least second hand probably. I mean we collected all these Skylanders and I want to use them in another adventure really. I'm still undecided on this whole swap bodies thing. But I def will get the core game just to use my collection or else really it's a waste to have all these Skylanders.
#36 Posted: 23:33:08 13/03/2013
yah pick it up used so no money goes to them, that is good thinking and cheaper. if you must have this one smilie
nitendofan92 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4572
#37 Posted: 00:22:40 14/03/2013
[User Posted Image]
This was my reaction to the skylanders trilogy. As more games get developped the less I react and get involved (like lurking, drawing) I already started to get a franchise fatigue and yet it only the third game. This is not good...
---
THE END IS NEAR
#38 Posted: 00:27:22 14/03/2013
fire up the crack pipe here comes $wap farce!
fireofexile Blue Sparx Gems: 703
#39 Posted: 01:17:05 14/03/2013
Even though Skylanders technically never ends, I wish I had more people to battle with. I know TWO PEOPLE who own Skylanders and they're sisters so they have the same people. That's the only real reason I would want Skylanders to go online. Anyways, I just don't like that the story gets boring when you play it twice. Maybe if there was an amount of power that could be used on the Portal (like lose 3 lives and you have to go back to the hub) I'd like it more, but now it feels like Pokemon Rumble with unlimited lives to me, having 21 Skylanders.
#40 Posted: 01:51:28 14/03/2013
Quote: Tel Prydain

You’re thinking like a collector… which is fine, especially considering that anyone interested enough in Skylanders to post on a message board is likely to be a collector, but most non-collectors WANT the reposed characters. Either because they don’t buy every Skylanders every game and they want a character that’s now sold out, or because they are new to the series.

I am not a collector (I only have 21 or 22 characters, and I got most through sales), however, I dislike reposes, and have yet to buy one.
---
#41 Posted: 01:56:28 14/03/2013

The rights to both Spyro and Skylanders are wholly owned by Activision. If Activision are using VV to make Skylanders, Activision will obviously be letting them use all the Skylanders.
Toys For Bob literally have no rights over either franchise, and they have no say on what is (or isn’t) done with Spyro.

I assume you knew this and that you’re just trolling, but thought I should let the forum know just in case someone listens to your malarkey.
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 01:59:05 14/03/2013 by Tel Prydain
#42 Posted: 01:59:55 14/03/2013
^He was obviously trolling, since he hates both Swap Force and Vicarious Visions.
---
Katallina Green Sparx Gems: 123
#43 Posted: 06:06:18 14/03/2013
Just pointing this out, but... Vicarious Visions made the first Skylanders game for the 3DS and it actually came with the Dark Spyro. I also put my normal Spyro on there, just to be sure, and it worked fine too. So the idea that someone would suddenly tell them, "ZOMG you can't use Spyro!1!1!" is absurd. I won't say he (Spyro) will or won't get a repose. However, I will say that they would need licensing for all of the characters, otherwise it would be legally impossible for all of our characters to work with the new game.
---
Favorite Skylanders: smilie smilie smilie
Most Wanted: smilie smilie smilie
#44 Posted: 11:33:30 14/03/2013
Funny thing how in aura game drow lance master hit 36 and in mine he hits 200
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 11:33:56 14/03/2013 by EmperorKaos
Partajeesus Blue Sparx Gems: 833
#45 Posted: 14:51:39 14/03/2013
This is the thing that I don't understand. Why some people seem to have only two choices? It's a) buy the game and all the characters or b) don't buy anything.
If the game is good then why you don't just buy the starter pack or portal owners pack or whatever and play the game using your old skylanders? Why is that so impossible to do?

It's same as saying "I won't buy new tomb raider, crysis, dead space, god of war or whatever just because I don't want to buy all the dlc" You don't have to buy everything and you can still enjoy the game. I love SSA and SG but I only buy characters that I like and want and I propably buy starter pack for swap force if it includes few characters like giants did compared to portal owners pack.
If the game is really good I might buy more but if it isn't I already have 25 skylanders to play with so I can't see any problem here.
But that's just me.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 14:57:12 14/03/2013 by Partajeesus
#46 Posted: 22:24:27 14/03/2013
Well said, Partajeesus.
---
#47 Posted: 02:45:27 18/03/2013
Would you rather have them release a game every 5 years, like some franchises. I personally like having a franchise that regularly updates. Might skip a game or two until they start getting more unique though.
---
zookinator Platinum Sparx Gems: 5694
#48 Posted: 12:34:05 18/03/2013
I am already losing interest in the series, mostly because I want to move on to other things to spend my money on. Once I get the main set of Swap-Force figures, I am done with the series, period. Unless the seriously lower the prices, I am not buying an other games for Skylanders.
---
Skylanders Colosseum Clash
A Fanmade Skylanders Boardgame
Aquatic Llama Green Sparx Gems: 436
#49 Posted: 17:26:49 18/03/2013
Quote: SPARXisAWESOME
Quote: Partajeesus
This is the thing that I don't understand. Why some people seem to have only two choices? It's a) buy the game and all the characters or b) don't buy anything.
If the game is good then why you don't just buy the starter pack or portal owners pack or whatever and play the game using your old skylanders? Why is that so impossible to do?

It's same as saying "I won't buy new tomb raider, crysis, dead space, god of war or whatever just because I don't want to buy all the dlc" You don't have to buy everything and you can still enjoy the game. I love SSA and SG but I only buy characters that I like and want and I propably buy starter pack for swap force if it includes few characters like giants did compared to portal owners pack.
If the game is really good I might buy more but if it isn't I already have 25 skylanders to play with so I can't see any problem here.
But that's just me.

I honestly couldn't have said that better myself.

Exactly. I have been perfectly content with owning only 14 skylanders. I only buy the ones that appeal to me. I'm not going to die if I don't own every Skylander. I will buy the new Skylanders that I like and that's it. No one if forcing you to buy all the skylanders. As for the price your getting an awesome toy that you can display, a few hours more of game time, and some more options for PVP. I got Giants the day it came out and I'm only 40% complete. Seems like a good deal to me.
Page 1 of 2 | Last
1 2

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me