First | Page 2 of 2
1 2
This is becoming pathetic [CLOSED]
Hexin_Wishes Yellow Sparx Gems: 1522
#51 Posted: 21:41:27 26/02/2013
The only way to truly have the Skylanders figures have a purpose past the game is to have a frequently updated online entity that allows for interaction between the two.

However, all we have is the laggy Skylanders Universe which is just lame tbh.
GhostRoaster Yellow Sparx Gems: 1803
#52 Posted: 02:27:39 27/02/2013
Quote: Katallina
The thing is, a franchise with this is made to be updated regularly. Why? Because if there is not new stuff to collect, explore, etc. then people get bored and they focus their finances elsewhere. This has a lot more to do with the actual toys then the game, BUT because of this there has to be "game" for the toys to interact with or else the toys lose their purpose.

I'm really not sure what better solution there is then to make certain quality games and toys are being brought out this year. And I *do* agree with you if your point is a concern that this could become increasingly difficult with each new iteration. My boyfriend and I were discussing this last night, actually. Because both the figures and the games that accompany them have to be consistently awesome to keep people here. (Especially with the fact that new franchises for this type of game are coming out. i.e. Disney's product.) Equally important is that people have invested a TON in these little figures and Activision and its Skylanders Developers will face the challenge of keeping older figures relevant while making new figures appealing. Balancing this is going to become tough.

I think they are getting a lot of things right: They are doing themed figures for the new games, which are adding new mechanics or ideas. (Giants, Swap Force, etc.) They are providing a good range of nicely done figures for those who just want to play on a general level, as well as more challenging (or potentially corrupt, depending on one's mindset, but that's ultimately not Activision's fault...) collectables through stuff like Lightcore, Variants, Legendaries, Exclusives, etc. for people who love the hunt. (And they are out there--I know I enjoy this because I grew up with parents who did that for Antiques.)

Balance between these two aspects of the community, a commitment to quality within the Skylanders franchise and respect to their customers and OUR investment in their games are the three tiers that are going to need to be met to give future Skylanders releases their best shot at continuing to establish the brand as something to be proud to own. Because if any of these things slips you're going to end up with angry customers and since we DO invest so much to get these things, our wallets DO have a lot of sway.

Very nice and well put!
---
RIP GhostRoaster. He's reanimated as TakeYourLemons but occasionally is resurrected from the beyond when needed.
kappapopm Ripto Gems: 1186
#53 Posted: 20:21:13 27/02/2013
Quote: Hexin_Wishes
The only way to truly have the Skylanders figures have a purpose past the game is to have a frequently updated online entity that allows for interaction between the two.

However, all we have is the laggy Skylanders Universe which is just lame tbh.

that Skylanders Universe omg that sux.. i dont bother with it anymore, was fun the 3 first weeks in the beginning...
#54 Posted: 20:26:32 27/02/2013
Quote: GhostRoaster
The thing is, a franchise with this is made to be updated regularly. Why? Because if there is not new stuff to collect, explore, etc. then people get bored and they focus their finances elsewhere. This has a lot more to do with the actual toys then the game, BUT because of this there has to be "game" for the toys to interact with or else the toys lose their purpose.

I'm really not sure what better solution there is then to make certain quality games and toys are being brought out this year. And I *do* agree with you if your point is a concern that this could become increasingly difficult with each new iteration. My boyfriend and I were discussing this last night, actually. Because both the figures and the games that accompany them have to be consistently awesome to keep people here. (Especially with the fact that new franchises for this type of game are coming out. i.e. Disney's product.) Equally important is that people have invested a TON in these little figures and Activision and its Skylanders Developers will face the challenge of keeping older figures relevant while making new figures appealing. Balancing this is going to become tough.

I think they are getting a lot of things right: They are doing themed figures for the new games, which are adding new mechanics or ideas. (Giants, Swap Force, etc.) They are providing a good range of nicely done figures for those who just want to play on a general level, as well as more challenging (or potentially corrupt, depending on one's mindset, but that's ultimately not Activision's fault...) collectables through stuff like Lightcore, Variants, Legendaries, Exclusives, etc. for people who love the hunt. (And they are out there--I know I enjoy this because I grew up with parents who did that for Antiques.)

Balance between these two aspects of the community, a commitment to quality within the Skylanders franchise and respect to their customers and OUR investment in their games are the three tiers that are going to need to be met to give future Skylanders releases their best shot at continuing to establish the brand as something to be proud to own. Because if any of these things slips you're going to end up with angry customers and since we DO invest so much to get these things, our wallets DO have a lot of sway.

Very nice and well put!

you know what i get bored of is throwing money at activision that is milking a franchise each year. without doing the proper thing, like giving the game what it really need a online gaming option. so this years swap force variant of the skylanders aint getting a cent from me....
Kiroq Gold Sparx Gems: 2328
#55 Posted: 20:44:18 27/02/2013
Why does everyone want online play? Personally I think it's stupid, I don't play games online at all.
---
smilie Fools! I've had it up to here with your incompetence! Actually no, even higher..up to HERE!
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 20:44:42 27/02/2013 by Kiroq
#56 Posted: 20:55:03 27/02/2013
Quote: Kiroq
Why does everyone want online play? Personally I think it's stupid, I don't play games online at all.

i dunno if your the antisocial or forever alone gaming type... but i am of the social gaming type and i like to enjoy gaming with my friends. i feel it is a bit tedious sitting alone for hours in front of a screen...
Kiroq Gold Sparx Gems: 2328
#57 Posted: 20:59:01 27/02/2013
Yeah playing with friends is ok, but playing against/with people who are idiotic, like you do on most games irritates me. Plus I love RPG's above all other types of games.(FPS' bores me to tears)
---
smilie Fools! I've had it up to here with your incompetence! Actually no, even higher..up to HERE!
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 21:00:13 27/02/2013 by Kiroq
#58 Posted: 21:03:11 27/02/2013
there will always be idiots, but then you can just quit and join another. there are nice people out there too, like me smilie
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 21:03:36 27/02/2013 by kappapopm
Hexin_Wishes Yellow Sparx Gems: 1522
#59 Posted: 23:29:56 27/02/2013
Quote: kappapopm

i dunno if your the antisocial or forever alone gaming type... but i am of the social gaming type and i like to enjoy gaming with my friends. i feel it is a bit tedious sitting alone for hours in front of a screen...

That was rude. Just because that member doesn't play games online doesn't mean they are "antisocial or forever alone gaming type". Skylanders does have local co-op play fyi. I certainly prefer local co-op to online gaming personally. At least I could interact with the person directly.
JCat Yellow Sparx Gems: 1540
#60 Posted: 05:13:41 28/02/2013

Very nice and well put!

Agreed ^

Anyways as for the Online co-op/battling I like the idea (but gotta get me Xbox live) and they could allways add a find a friend with Friend Codes (or what ever the system uses) so you know who your playing with.

Here's an idea that I thought would be interesting though mind you it may drive the toys price up or have the company reconfigure how they design them. Now I'm a programmer so I know some things about how the toy works. Simply put there's simple bits of data or varibles that hold the information of the toy. Like it's name, nickname, level, gold, ect. This can simply be put in like a text file or something similer. However, what I think it'd be nice if they designed the toy to have all the Skylanders data on it. Meaning instead of the Game model and upgrade information being on the game, but on the toy themselfs... this would make it that they could come out with new Skylanders (exception of new types like Giants/LightCore/Swapforce) without having to have a new game. Because it'd simply read the model infomation and what not. However, like I stated above this will most likely cause Activision to have to reconfigure the toys. And this will probally drive up the price. and it'll most likely effect the loading time but it's possible that the game can save a certain amount of Skylanders to itself so it won't have to go to the toy each time to get the model and stuff.
---
Main Team: smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
~N~
#61 Posted: 13:58:14 01/03/2013

That was rude. Just because that member doesn't play games online doesn't mean they are "antisocial or forever alone gaming type". Skylanders does have local co-op play fyi. I certainly prefer local co-op to online gaming personally. At least I could interact with the person directly.

it was not to meant to be rude, so sorry if you have taken it that way.. i just descried a type of gamer.
#62 Posted: 16:24:10 01/03/2013

Personally, why NOT have more options to make this game more approachable for kids OF ALL AGES? What's it going to hurt to add an option that's more or less a given in gaming now. It's like the torment we suffered for two games not having jump...uhh..hello...Mario beat Skylanders by over 30 years. Get with the times, Activision.

Imagine on-line tournaments, contests etc...it would go A LONG WAY to extend the life of the game AND MORE IMPORTANT justify these character purposes a bit more. More value = I stay in. Otherwise, I'll vote with my wallet.

(I'm actually entertaining just buying the starter pack and use my existing characters if they don't do more this time around).

My only requests: More levels and/or sophistication / Adventure packs / Online adventure mode of SOME type
---
RIP GhostRoaster. He's reanimated as TakeYourLemons but occasionally is resurrected from the beyond when needed.
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 16:29:23 01/03/2013 by GhostRoaster
#63 Posted: 16:35:42 01/03/2013

Personally, why NOT have more options to make this game more approachable for kids OF ALL AGES? What's it going to hurt to add an option that's more or less a given in gaming now. It's like the torment we suffered for two games not having jump...uhh..hello...Mario beat Skylanders by over 30 years. Get with the times, Activision.

Imagine on-line tournaments, contests etc...it would go A LONG WAY to extend the life of the game AND MORE IMPORTANT justify these character purposes a bit more. More value = I stay in. Otherwise, I'll vote with my wallet.

(I'm actually entertaining just buying the starter pack and use my existing characters if they don't do more this time around).

My only requests: More levels and/or sophistication / Adventure packs / Online adventure mode of SOME type

yeah even the new mario have online... and the mario beater LBP have had online since 2009... so this is just lazy by activision. but i guess its more important for them to sell more plastic than make a more fun game... so this time they are not getting mine 2000 dollars that is for sure... enough is enough...
hardcoreignitor Gold Sparx Gems: 2583
#64 Posted: 01:24:12 04/03/2013
Quote: fireofexile
i will not buy any swap force thing... it is full stop now with anything skylanders this gen, the ssa and sg was great. the ps4 and x720 are coming holiday 2013 and all older games plus the figurines will not be compatible. the future skylanders games coming for the ps4 and x720 will be starting all over again, and from what we know now these new consoles will be heavy into the online social aspect of things. so there will be new skylanders games with online game play. the next skylanders game come in 2014 and will be for the wii-u,ps4 and x720. i am looking forward to the new skylanders game made by toy for bob that will run on my new ps4 smilie

Where did you hear that? The Wii game will be compatible with the Wii U, and the same will probably be true for the PS3-PS4 and xBox360-xBox720. Skylanders work on EVERY game after the one they were released, and that will never change.

Well the PS4 wont use PS3 games so it wont be able to play SSA, SG, and SSF But the figures should probably work on S4, S5, etc etc...
---
nyeheheheheh

hey lois, i’m dustah from mudda 3
DinoHex Blue Sparx Gems: 735
#65 Posted: 22:42:14 04/03/2013
I'm mostly in it for the collectable figures, so I don't mind if they make new ones every year.

I do feel bad for parents with young kids though, because Skylanders has been a constant thing for a while now with absolutely no rest. It must drive them nuts when they hear about the next game before they're even done with the previous one.
---
smilie smilie and smilie: The three greatest Skylanders out of them all.
yelvy Gold Sparx Gems: 2450
#66 Posted: 17:12:09 19/03/2013
original xbox games work with xbox 360 games...
Tel Prydain Blue Sparx Gems: 903
#67 Posted: 22:12:11 19/03/2013
Fark – if anything I want to see MORE releases – I’ve got $200 of toy figures here, give me more games to use them in!

It would be interesting if they spun out the series into different genres – keep doing the ‘Lego’/exploration style game they are doing now, but add a true 3D platform series like the original Spyro, a side-scrolling platformer like Metroid/castlevania, a building adventure like Minecraft and an open-world action RPG series like Diablo/Sacred. Port the 3DS games to PSN/XBLA. Keep some of the games light for kids, and then make the others slightly darker for teens and adults.

None of that will happen, but I can dream.
Bottom line – no one is going to complain that there are too many ways to use their figures.
---
My collection: 98/99
Photos: http://s1298.photobucket.com/u...rary/Skylanders
Looking for: smilie
sniper52 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1306
#68 Posted: 00:24:44 20/03/2013
I might not get more Skylanders. It is getting expensive. And it is getting milked. The first game was cool, Giants was okay, and Swap Force is looking bad.
---
HAISHFTAYADGHpenisHDGNADGITUGDUAHD
tigerdr Yellow Sparx Gems: 1976
#69 Posted: 03:58:23 20/03/2013
Quote: sniper52
I might not get more Skylanders. It is getting expensive. And it is getting milked. The first game was cool, Giants was okay, and Swap Force is looking bad.

I have to agree here on this one. That and for the time being, Toys for Bob is not going to be involved with Swap Force, even though the other company working on it is going to do enough of a job to see it through, I'm not seeing this as something to jump up and down for. It's even been said on Activision the reason for the company to not be working on it is they are to work on their next big thing. Given how spyro games are released in 3s over the past few years for the major releases, this could very well be the finale to the series. What they will do with skylanders beyond this I wouldn't know, but I would think some of the ideas for online aspects might be possible and smaller games might be developed in the future beyond the three but I don't think that will be the case. Let alone to do this a third year in a row, most will just hunt for sales and probably avoid 80% of the figures in general.
---
Taking that last ride through the sunset on skylanders. Hopefully a return of more classic spyro gameplay in the horizon.
DragonsDream Green Sparx Gems: 435
#70 Posted: 13:16:42 20/03/2013
Quote: yelvy
original xbox games work with xbox 360 games...

not true. some do and require an emulater to do so. But good luck trying to play James Bond Everything or Nothing on a 360...
---
available: Darklight Crypt smiliesmiliesmilie(sealed), 17 other common S1s & adv. packs (EU only)
want:smiliesmiliesmilie
The word is "should've" never "should of"
#71 Posted: 15:00:43 20/03/2013
Quote: tigerdr
Quote: sniper52

I have to agree here on this one. That and for the time being, Toys for Bob is not going to be involved with Swap Force, even though the other company working on it is going to do enough of a job to see it through, I'm not seeing this as something to jump up and down for. It's even been said on Activision the reason for the company to not be working on it is they are to work on their next big thing. Given how spyro games are released in 3s over the past few years for the major releases, this could very well be the finale to the series. What they will do with skylanders beyond this I wouldn't know, but I would think some of the ideas for online aspects might be possible and smaller games might be developed in the future beyond the three but I don't think that will be the case. Let alone to do this a third year in a row, most will just hunt for sales and probably avoid 80% of the figures in general.

sniper52: What's looking bad about SF? Specifics please. I personally haven't shaped an opinion but what I've seen looks promising from a TOY perspective. I remain somewhat skeptical on gameplay mechanics and needed features IN THE GAME (don't go there with jump). I am happy they are adding hi-def graphics...so that's a definite positive and helps them as the next gen consoles come into play.

tigerdr: I do see a diminishing return for returning skylanders, but they can potentially redeem themselves by not repeating what they did with Giants and offer more content to provide incentive for re-landers purchase. Collectors will get 'em, but I'm pretty sure parents will cut back on this release--I'm sure Infinity will make a dent for sure. Stay tuned on Activision earning reports, I guess.
---
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 15:07:08 20/03/2013 by GhostRoaster
ziggymoonunit Green Sparx Gems: 271
#72 Posted: 02:27:24 21/03/2013
Dragons Dream, when I bought my 360 I had issues with original games. According to Microsoft, as long as you have the disc it can be played on a 360. However, if it's downloaded off of Live you have to make sure that your hardrive is not a third party (I bought a 4g and then purchased a 250g hard drive separate) because it won't work. It will go through the download but won't play. If you do buy a third party drive you have to make sure that it is set up correctly then you can download and play original games no problem.
---
I have- smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 02:29:18 21/03/2013 by ziggymoonunit
yelvy Gold Sparx Gems: 2450
#73 Posted: 12:53:21 21/03/2013
i agree with you, katallina!
DragonsDream Green Sparx Gems: 435
#74 Posted: 14:59:55 21/03/2013
Quote: ziggymoonunit
Dragons Dream, when I bought my 360 I had issues with original games. According to Microsoft, as long as you have the disc it can be played on a 360. However, if it's downloaded off of Live you have to make sure that your hardrive is not a third party (I bought a 4g and then purchased a 250g hard drive separate) because it won't work. It will go through the download but won't play. If you do buy a third party drive you have to make sure that it is set up correctly then you can download and play original games no problem.

here's the link for the official list of Xbox games that can be played on a 360. If it's not on this list, it won't play.
360s are not entirely backwards compatible. It's not like going from a DVD to a Blu ray. some Xbox games, original disc or not, just won't work.
---
available: Darklight Crypt smiliesmiliesmilie(sealed), 17 other common S1s & adv. packs (EU only)
want:smiliesmiliesmilie
The word is "should've" never "should of"
Dupree Red Sparx Gems: 47
#75 Posted: 04:14:55 23/03/2013
I don't mind what they're doing. They've been able to take a franchise and add a new layer of interesting to every game. Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure was awesome just for the fact that toys came to life. Skylanders: Giants is great because you incorporate lightcore and giant Skylanders and now with Swap Force you can create your own characters using two different elements which is pretty nifty.

I will keep playing and collecting Skylanders figures for the foreseeable future. However, if they ever made it so that figures were not compatible with future games, I'd have to consider quitting with collecting as that could end up costing a pretty penny. (not that I haven't spent one already, lol)
#76 Posted: 05:10:43 23/03/2013
^ Yeah, the boat has already sailed away on that point, with all of our loot to boot...those darn Pirates.
---
PinkWater Yellow Sparx Gems: 1059
#77 Posted: 23:34:59 24/03/2013
Quote: Dupree

I will keep playing and collecting Skylanders figures for the foreseeable future. However, if they ever made it so that figures were not compatible with future games, I'd have to consider quitting with collecting as that could end up costing a pretty penny. (not that I haven't spent one already, lol)

I think that's when I'll stop, too.
---
CILAN IS THE SEXIEST MAN ALIVE.

I DARE YOU TO PROVE ME WRONG! ...Actually don't. I'm quite biased.
King_Pika Blue Sparx Gems: 544
#78 Posted: 01:33:00 25/03/2013
^ Yeah, the boat has already sailed away on that point, with all of our loot to boot...those darn Pirates.

THE SHIPPING
---
"Regretting never, our dreams will be... Halfway to forever! Our light comes shining through. Reach down deep, big defeat. Do all that we can do!"
tigerdr Yellow Sparx Gems: 1976
#79 Posted: 03:40:08 08/04/2013
The only way the new figures won't work is if the the way the data is stored/read changes.

Very possible but highly unlikely anytime soon. The PS4/Xbox720 will both be infants by the time Skylanders 4 is coming out.

When each of those systems came out, just expect the same treatment like the wii u where they will have a portal that works for it. What keeps any figures right now from the bargain bin is the fact that the system in place makes all figures for each newer series "backwards compatible" so it's true that as long as that system is not changed, they'll always be able to be used on any system which at this point in how much money acti has made to date, that system won't change.

I have to disagree on there being a skylanders 4. Everyone is going to be burned out by swap force that unless they actually decide to make this completely seperate from spyro in the end, it'll end with swap force. So far all spyro games ended in trilogies and how most ideas work, that is how most tend to finish up. Most games, movies do not go beyond a third outing because it's too much of the same thing too soon. The fact toys for bob isn't involved is a big sign on that. They were told by acti to work on the next big thing and that can be interpreted that it's probably not going to be skylanders involvement.

The toys to life gameplay I don't think will be dead, but there will be different ideas used and in most cases this will probably be the last spyro incarnation or association of it there will be. Right now with all the marketing from mega blocks, soon to be mcdonalds advertising and the build up to swap force all for the promotion to try and sell this game. Why? because like other things proceeding it, there's probably not going to be anything of it after. They're riding skylanders into the ground as in most cases a big fad. I would assume six to eight months after swap force release open figs will start to nosedive in price even.
---
Taking that last ride through the sunset on skylanders. Hopefully a return of more classic spyro gameplay in the horizon.
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 03:45:46 08/04/2013 by tigerdr
Sunny Castanets Gold Sparx Gems: 2231
#80 Posted: 21:16:22 08/04/2013
I have to agree that they're getting a bit extravagant with Skylanders. I think I'll probably be happy to wait on Swap Force, especially seeing as the games here have seen price drops, there have been special offers on figures, and figures have been hard to come by. I fear the same for Swap Force.
---
Quote: Tashiji
Sunny, as always, you are so darn smart.
Hakann Yellow Sparx Gems: 1238
#81 Posted: 21:34:37 08/04/2013
They most be carefull on not putting the game on ps3/xbox 360 when new generation come, not everyone want to buy them, i will buy skylanders till they stop making it for the ps3, by that time i will be stick with pc games where i can get games for free
---
Expect the unexpected
First | Page 2 of 2
1 2

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me