Page 1 of 1
Question for those with the Wii U [CLOSED]
tGrimm Blue Sparx Gems: 991
#1 Posted: 18:17:59 08/02/2013 | Topic Creator
How many of you have played on the Wii U and do you consider it worth the money?

I just read this article:

http://venturebeat.com/2013/02...for-skylanders/

Kind of makes me wonder if it's worth buying at all - I'm quite content to play Skylanders on the Wii I currently have, but am also worried about future games not being released for the Wii so was considering the purchase of a Wii U

Great Pic on this article too:

[User Posted Image]
---
Yeah, I'm major OCD - I have them all, every one of them, and most of the easy to find variants. My favorite is Quick Draw Rattle Shake!
GameMaster78 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3321
#2 Posted: 18:25:35 08/02/2013
I think the Wii U version is really good. If you're going straight from Wii to Wii U, you have the added benefit of getting to experience Skylanders in HD, with smoother framerates.

Everything doesn't look cloudy, but rather, crisp and clean.

The gamepad controller shows the stats of whichever Skylander is placed on the portal. The cool thing about this, is if you place Gnarly Tree Rex on the portal, he will show up on the gamepad controller with Gnarly Tree Rex's art. Put the regular Tree Rex on there, and it will show his regular art. Put a Series 1 Skylander on there, it will show their Series 1 art and same with Series 2 and Series 2 art.

During levels, you can push a tab in the bottom right-hand corner of the screen to display each level's objectives, enemy goals, and what you've collected. During Skystones, you can drag Skystones to the grid you wish to place them on, and during Puzzle Locks, you can tilt the controller to turn directions, which also turns directions without that small hiccup that normally follows the direction you hold on the analog stick. However, you can play both without motion controls.

There's also the added benefit of 5.1 lossless audio, if you happen to have surround sound, which is a huge step up from Pro Logic II, which is all the Wii offers.
---
Wii U: GameMaster1178, XBL: GameMaster1178, PSN: megax28
Jet LavaGuard Green Sparx Gems: 198
#3 Posted: 18:35:15 08/02/2013
The WiiU has the best version of Giants. It will also have the best version of Swap Force as Nintendo optimizes their graphic cards for bright colors which Swap Force is full off. Also Sky Stones and Lock Puzzles use the gamepad in a fun way.
#4 Posted: 18:35:47 08/02/2013
As for Activision sound doom and gloomy over Wii U's sales, they need to look back at past console launches, and see that Wii U still trumped them. Wii U has sold more at this point, than PS3 and 360 did. Wii U, like the Dreamcast, had a lot to offer for launch titles, while the PS3 only offered one DECENT game in Resistance (I can't stress decent far enough as it wasn't THAT great), and the 360 had more multiplats at launch than exclusives, outside of Kameo and Perfect Dark.

Xbox, PS2, Gamecube, Wii, DS, 3DS, PSP, Vita all had crappy launch titles when it comes to amounts. Sure, Halobox had Halo, but that's all people bought, including me. When Wii U launched, I came home with 14 games, including Giants (my 12th copy of the game).

I think Activision is just playing to the tune of the bad news yesterday, that Rayman Legends is no longer exclusive and was delayed. That was Ubisoft's fault for wanting to be greedy, and they will pay for their greed when GTA V stomps a mudhole in Rayman's sales, just because they didn't want to release a finished Wii U version earlier than the 360/PS3 version. Rayman is toast, come September, because if it isn't GTA V dancing all over Rayman, it will be Skylanders and Pokemon in October, and Call of Duty in November.

Activision just wanted to keep the drama-pot stirring. In all honesty, and no disrespect, but that was the craziest thing for them to say, seeing as the Wii U is selling just slightly less than what the Wii sold each month, in the same period of time, while still selling higher than what the PS3 and 360 during the same period of time in 2005/2006, and 2006/2007.

Wii U will be just fine. It will get Skylanders Swap Force this year, I gaurentee it.

Bobby K. just needs to realize that ALL consoles get off to slow starts. The same thing will happen to the Xbox - I have to be constantly connected to Xbox Live to function - 720 when it releases, and the 400+ dollar PS4 when it launches.

Who's going to jump ship to the cheaper system that still has hidden power, due to the final dev kits not landing into developers' hands until late last year, the customers will.

Speaking of PS4. The rumors also suggest games could cost 70-80 dollars new. All the sudden the Wii U isn't looking so bad. Bobby worries too much. smilie
---
#5 Posted: 18:39:09 08/02/2013
Well, Jet, I wouldn't say that.

While the framerate of Giants on Wii U is better than the Wii version, the 360 version runs so smooth, you would think it were running at 60 FPS.

I am still skeptical about Linear PCM compared to Dolby Digital, though.

The added Gamepad controller functionality is good, though. I just think the framerate is smoother on 360 than Wii U. However, if one is going straight from Wii to Wii U, IT'S A MUST to own Skylanders in HD.

Swap Force is being lead-developed on the 360, so it may end up running smoother again, unless V.V. can optimize the game for Wii U, so it runs just as smooth.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 18:39:25 08/02/2013 by GameMaster78
SteveW Blue Sparx Gems: 964
#6 Posted: 20:04:20 08/02/2013
Quote: GameMaster78

I am still skeptical about Linear PCM compared to Dolby Digital, though.

Really? that is the least of my concerns, I doubt the majority of us would even notice.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 20:04:43 08/02/2013 by SteveW
spyroflame0487 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3866
#7 Posted: 20:11:29 08/02/2013
I've been on the fence for a while but this week I really started looking into getting one. (well, not really on the fence per se. I wanted a Wii U, I had the money for it saved up, and I just needed to look for one that's the best deal)

CostCo had them on sale about a week or so ago for $299 (the black Deluxe one. I wouldn't even consider the White one if you're looking). Now it's up to $339, which is still a bit cheaper than most stores at $349...and there's no sign of a price drop in the near future.

If you're looking for one, try your local craigslist (Make sure they're factory sealed though). There's a lot on mine, but a good portion of cheaper ones are farther away. Total in the gas and see if it'd end up being cheaper than what you'd pay with tax for one at a store.

The Wii U right now doesn't have a very large selection, but when you consider hard hitters like Smash Bros, Bayonetta, Pikmin, Zelda, etc coming down the road (not to mention some fantastic looking games coming out in the next few months), it's definitely worth picking up.
---
Why did Uncle Peter have an interdimentional portal in his attic?
Spyro's entire collection! [Updated June 28th 15]
SteveW Blue Sparx Gems: 964
#8 Posted: 20:12:30 08/02/2013
The Wii U version is the way to go, play on the gamepad with stats and stuff on the gamepad screen, play with the Wii remote and Nunchuck with motion conrtol and Wii remote aiming (like when shooting the canon), play with the Pro Controller, etc.. so many great ways to play and the graphics are amazing!
IJJusion Green Sparx Gems: 136
#9 Posted: 20:42:32 08/02/2013
Wii U giants is the best version of giants hands down, stat screen on tablet - or objective screen on tablet (very easy way to follow what you still need to get stars throughout the level without having to constantly pause the game)

but best of all..play the entire game on the tablet screen..so it doesnt matter whos using the TV you can still play (and if your bedroom is close enough then you can play in bed too haha (mine is smilie)

if they bring these features from giants to the next skylanders then it will undoubtedly be the best platform to be on once again.

Wii U has had a slow start but id say half of that is due to their poor advertising, ive seen many people talking about the wii and thinking the wii u was an accessory for the console smilie
as time goes on and less support is given to the Wii, Wii U will pickup. its a great console. highly recommend it.
DarkPr1nce Blue Sparx Gems: 700
#10 Posted: 21:04:06 08/02/2013
Game. Set. Match. Gamemaster78 for the win.

I agree completely with everything you said. My entire family is Nintendo fanboys, but that being said, even looking at it objectively, there is no reason for any developer to think that Wii U will be looked upon in five years as anything but a success.
fireofexile Blue Sparx Gems: 703
#11 Posted: 21:15:34 08/02/2013
I want the Wii U version of Swap Force. I wanted it for Giants, too, but I would have to wait until Christmas. This was great for me. I got the Portal Master's Pack with Tree Rex, and then the Battlegrounds starter pack with Cynder and Jet-Vac which I was missing. Next year since there's a new portal I can switch my main Skylander console without the problem of paying for a portal I don't need smilie
Trigger Fizz Blue Sparx Gems: 931
#12 Posted: 21:17:35 08/02/2013
I was also thinking about getting the Wii U. I have the wii and play Giants on it, and It's fine, but I want to experience Skylanders in full HD. One question though, I read somewhere that you could only play Giants on the game pad itself and not the T.V. That's not true, is it?
---
smilie NO POTIONS, NO GLORY! smilie
IJJusion Green Sparx Gems: 136
#13 Posted: 21:23:41 08/02/2013
Quote: Trigger Fizz
I was also thinking about getting the Wii U. I have the wii and play Giants on it, and It's fine, but I want to experience Skylanders in full HD. One question though, I read somewhere that you could only play Giants on the game pad itself and not the T.V. That's not true, is it?

not true at all...whoever told you that is a fool ;p

keep in mind though playing the wii version on the wii u will play exactly like the wii plays it, you will need to buy the wii u giants game to take advantage of the wii u HD/tablet
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 21:25:55 08/02/2013 by IJJusion
OpalOsprey Yellow Sparx Gems: 1127
#14 Posted: 23:29:46 08/02/2013
Quote: Trigger Fizz

^ No, that's not true information. I have the Wii U and the Giants game for it. You actually have a choice of playing it only on the Gamepad, or on the TV. When you play it on the TV, the Gamepad screen shows a readout of your current character's stats, which is pretty neat. You can also have the Gamepad screen off if your playing the TV if you don't want the batteries to run dry quicker, or if it's distracting.

------------------------------------------

I really like my Wii U and my Wii U Giants game. I would definitely recommend the Wii U because there are some great games in the works for it and they might stop producing Wii games soon (such as a year from now) like what happened with the Gamecube games when the Wii came out. Keep your Wii if you don't have a Gamecube because the Wii U can't play Gamecube games but it can play Wii games.

Good luck and I hope that you'll enjoy Swap Force =)!
---
Have a Wii U? My ID and Mii name is OpalOsprey. So why don't you add Mii smilie?

"You don't need a reason to help people" ~ Zidane -Final Fantays IX
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me