darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Skylanders: Swap Force > details of a radical new departure for the Skylanders
Page 1 of 1
details of a radical new departure for the Skylanders [CLOSED]
t7gga Yellow Sparx Gems: 1726
#1 Posted: 16:06:05 03/02/2013 | Topic Creator
online newspaper article ...

details of a radical new departure for the Skylanders series will be announced next week

the author slipped this into the tenth paragraph of a Disney Infinity article

full article can be read here

Andy Robertson (aka Mr Family Gamer TV) who to date has had the most informative Skylanders interviews, also writes articles for this online publication so could easily have been the source
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 16:09:52 03/02/2013 by t7gga
Buzzthebatgirl Yellow Sparx Gems: 1526
#2 Posted: 16:12:04 03/02/2013
He did get insider information on Disney Infintiy before it launched. He had uploaded some videos and teasted them on Twitter and they were all live the moment Infinity was announced. I wouldn't be surprised if he was given insider info on the new Skylanders too.
---
GITD smilie won on Facebook.com/Toywinner
Too many Skylanders in collection
FLEIJA Green Sparx Gems: 395
#3 Posted: 16:15:47 03/02/2013
as we all hope we dont wana see S3 reposes or its gona be really rediculous. newlanders are welcome! s2 newlanders s2 giants s2 missed SSA oh well what can we do. all we care about for now is the gameplay and added features ingame since they have competetion now.
---
MIA: Volcanic Vault & Gnarly Tree Rex
GameMaster78 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3321
#4 Posted: 17:31:36 03/02/2013
I am hopeful for a few things when it comes to Kaos Alliance.

1: Release toys of villains
2: Release more villain toys than Newlanders
3: One of the Newlanders should be Eon (head), which goes in contrast to a Kaos figure.
4: Adventure Packs return, but each Adventure Pack contains a villain

I would like to see villain toys of Vathek, Kaos, Glumshanks, Chompy-Mage, and Spell Punks (coule be a running theme like the Dragons from Skylanders in that there is one Spell Punk per element).

I hope the bases of the figures are either red (Fire) or Purple (Magic) in this game.
---
Wii U: GameMaster1178, XBL: GameMaster1178, PSN: megax28
Tashiji Yellow Sparx Gems: 1453
#5 Posted: 17:53:28 03/02/2013
I'm not so sure this is insider information and not just a gaming media inference. I mean, every one of those newly-registered domain names implies a pretty radical departure. Radical enough to actually be willing to stake a reputation on and publish an article anyway, if you know what I mean. I've written freelance for columns like this one before, and in truth, they jump the gun on stuff like this constantly. A lot of the viewership is based on jumping the gun with solid speculation, and most of the time, when the truth comes out officially, it does match up to the speculation. Really though, whole stories are written because someone spotted an interesting domain name all the time, and this was just a blurb; not even a whole story at all. It's certainly got people talking, though... which is incidentally exactly why they do it.

EDIT: Actually, maybe this whole post is me being overly cynical. I really am looking forward to hearing what this departure is, and I hope it expands the series in a positive direction.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 18:00:46 03/02/2013 by Tashiji
HeyitsHotDog Diamond Sparx Gems: 8246
#6 Posted: 18:16:26 03/02/2013
So, do they mean Skylanders is going to go through a big change? Like maybe a new style of gameplay?
---
Hey is there anything you want me to bring for the rest of the week and if so it’s so cool that you can do something and just do it like that
spyroflame0487 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3866
#7 Posted: 19:42:18 03/02/2013
GM's idea is spot on to what I'd like. "Boss Packs" could contain a villain figure (could even be a larger one, and wouldn't necessarily have to fit to the normal figure standards) which would unlock a level where you face the boss at the end. They could do ones for a whole lot of different bad guys in the game, and would allow them to potentially release new versions of the Adventure Pack levels since the other ones would be more than gone on the market (ie, Vathek figure would unlock Dragons Peak, Occulous would unlock Darklight Crypt, and they could take some liberty making ones for the other 2...either changing the end fight or just giving us a Haldor/Dreadbeard even though those 2 are now neutral/good guys)

Then we could get ones of Kaos' Hydra (For a remake of the last SSA level), Conquertron/Robo-Kaos (for a remake of the last level of Giants), Glumshanks (They could do something here with Glumshanks if he's still a villain)

I hope this "radical departure" is something fundamentally new with the figures. Infinity is gonna be some stiff competition for Skylanders so here's to hoping it'll encourage both companies to innovate the tech they have at their disposal.
---
Why did Uncle Peter have an interdimentional portal in his attic?
Spyro's entire collection! [Updated June 28th 15]
#8 Posted: 19:45:05 03/02/2013
Well, I was actually thinking of new chapters for story mode, that play out like side stories like the Adventure Packs from the first game. They could or could not have bosses, but if they do, I would like them to be new characters.
---
RatchetJukes1 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1327
#9 Posted: 19:46:50 03/02/2013
Skylanders Kaos Alliance would be absolutely awesome, I agree with pretty much everything you said GameMaster78. Especially the ideas of the spell punks and the figure of Vathek.
---
smilie's resident Lombax has returned!
Kevinvert Gold Sparx Gems: 2146
#10 Posted: 20:08:27 03/02/2013
yeah mayby a dr doofensmirtz figure also!
---
Team Hot Dog!
Kevinvert Gold Sparx Gems: 2146
#11 Posted: 20:13:30 03/02/2013
yeah it would be a crossover with infinity!
---
Team Hot Dog!
#12 Posted: 20:28:01 03/02/2013 | Topic Creator
Quote: Kevinvert
yeah mayby a dr doofensmirtz figure also!

he'll be part of the phineas and ferb play set for Disney Infinity
Winter Yellow Sparx Gems: 1502
#13 Posted: 21:05:52 03/02/2013
Found this: http://www.thehdroom.com/news/...landers-3/11993 wonder if it's true... Like you know maybe Malefor is like the bad guy so the Skylanders have to team up with Kaos none of the rumored pending titles wow me just yet although I'm personally looking at Kaos Alliance.
---
Eon:"Perhaps I can tell you more about it...in time."
Winter: D-did Eon just troll me!?
GamingMaster_76 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1271
#14 Posted: 08:05:25 04/02/2013
Quote: GameMaster78
(coule be a running theme like the Dragons from Skylanders in that there is one Spell Punk per element).

I really hope that this doesn't happen. There's a line between artistic continuity and repetivity. Dragons crossed that line when they made a 9th- which ruined the point of "one per element". It's boring seeing all the designs being the same or so similar when they should make new stuff instead. After all... All of the bosses in Giants except for Drill-X and Kaos were just standard enemies, if they started recycling them as playable characters... It wouldn't nessecarily be a bad thing to play as villains, but why not make new characters instead? Unless they just make villains of the same species but different as the villains a la Boomer, and one or two of the more important bosses. I would approve of that. But making vanilla enemies playable would be lazy.
Tupelo Blue Sparx Gems: 825
#15 Posted: 12:16:02 04/02/2013
I think if skylanders doesnt do some thing very interesting or different with this game, then people are going to start losing interest. Especially if they dont add more content to the game to make it a longer play.

I will not get sucked into disney infinity. I feel like its made for 5 year olds. Where as skylanders is more of a family thing, and of course has spyro, my childhood dragon.
#16 Posted: 12:42:19 04/02/2013 | Topic Creator
Quote: Tupelo
... I will not get sucked into disney infinity. I feel like its made for 5 year olds. Where as skylanders is more of a family thing, and of course has spyro, my childhood dragon.

"Infinity is not a kids game. This is my own personal view on this, (note, possibly not Disney’s…) As one of the primary creatives behind Toy Box my goal was to create an experience for families. By this I don’t mean the typical, “family,” game where dad, and maybe mom, will occasionally play the game with their kids and hopefully tolerate it. This is an experience designed from the ground up so that moms, dads, sons, and daughters will all love the game, regardless of how “hard core” they are even if they are playing alone." Source: Chad Liddell, Lead Artist at The Walt Disney Company
#17 Posted: 12:52:13 04/02/2013
Quote: Tupelo
I think if skylanders doesnt do some thing very interesting or different with this game, then people are going to start losing interest. Especially if they dont add more content to the game to make it a longer play.

I will not get sucked into disney infinity. I feel like its made for 5 year olds. Where as skylanders is more of a family thing, and of course has spyro, my childhood dragon.

Skylanders is made for parents to buy for those kids who want the hot new figure "now, now, now!"
It doesn't matter who a game is made for if you enjoy it.
Tupelo Blue Sparx Gems: 825
#18 Posted: 13:17:23 04/02/2013
I'm still sticking with what i wrote. But with that being said...This topic title is mis leading...I read that whole article only to read what the first post said. I thought for sure there was going to be new info on the new skylanders game. We all assume its going to be much different then the first 2 dont we? So this is really pointless.
Halowasher Green Sparx Gems: 197
#19 Posted: 15:16:00 04/02/2013
Wish they could come up with some way to "design your own" skylander. Pick and choose from various options for look and character attributes. I realize it would have to be limited in options but still might be cool to have something that would be relatively more unique. Of course it would most likely have to be an online only purchase. Perhaps you could just upload the character data to the game piece but that doesn't give you much input into the look of the character in game much less the physical game piece. Pipe dream I know, but when I play with the kids and get into "the chase" looking for rare game pieces I start trying to figure out how a "design your own" character would work.

Perhaps Activision could product a Skylanders "Create Your Own Character Kit", the kit would have different pieces in it that are inter-changeable. Yes there would only be so many different looks but it would be rather unique. Kind of like the old, old Star Wars Droid factory from back in the 70's for those who are as old as I am.
#20 Posted: 16:36:27 04/02/2013
Quote: GamingMaster_76
(coule be a running theme like the Dragons from Skylanders in that there is one Spell Punk per element).

I really hope that this doesn't happen. There's a line between artistic continuity and repetivity. Dragons crossed that line when they made a 9th- which ruined the point of "one per element". It's boring seeing all the designs being the same or so similar when they should make new stuff instead. After all... All of the bosses in Giants except for Drill-X and Kaos were just standard enemies, if they started recycling them as playable characters... It wouldn't nessecarily be a bad thing to play as villains, but why not make new characters instead? Unless they just make villains of the same species but different as the villains a la Boomer, and one or two of the more important bosses. I would approve of that. But making vanilla enemies playable would be lazy.

A 9th dragon could be the start of a second set of dragons per element. I wouldn't mind.

The Spell Punks all have a unique look for the most part, especially in Giants. They could go with those designs in Kaos Alliance. Life Spell Punk could have healing abilities.

Actually, I just had a thought. Just like Skylanders has Magical Items, Kaos Alliance should bring it's own set of Magical Items, and the Spell Punks could be Magical Items. 8 Magical Items right there.

They could just be recolors like they are in the first game, but each does something to help the player, but within the realms of their element.

Life: Follows the player, healing them for a duration of 45 seconds
Magic: Launches magic attacks at enemies for 60 seconds
Fire: Gives your Skylander fire properties, allowing Skylanders to leave behind fire trails. This magical item has a timer of 20 seconds
Water: Launches ice projectiles that freeze enemies on contact. This magical item has a timer of 30 seconds
Tech: Creates a Cog Shield that circles the player, allowing NO DAMAGE (unlike Sky Iron Shield) to that Skylander for a duration of 30 seconds
Undead: Casts a spell on all enemies on the screen. A huge ghostly head would fill the screen and let out an ominous laughter, causing enemies to slow down. The effect lasts until all enemies on the current screen are dead, or for a duration of 20 seconds. Spell Punk disappears after 1 time use.
Air: Hurls homing tornadoes at enemies for a duration of 30 seconds
Earth: Creates Earth-formed spike that come up from the ground. This magical item has a timer of 20 seconds

Spell Punk Magical Items: YES PLEASE!
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 17:01:48 04/02/2013 by GameMaster78
Deadmau5 Fan 98 Red Sparx Gems: 79
#21 Posted: 16:49:00 04/02/2013
^ I approve of this idea. Make it happen Toys for Bob!
---
Ghosts N Stuff!
#22 Posted: 16:59:27 04/02/2013
Man, I wish I had a job with them, helping them brainstorm ideas for each game. Can you say dream job?
---
Hakann Yellow Sparx Gems: 1238
#23 Posted: 17:56:02 04/02/2013
the best thing skylanders can do is signature story future or past like

Seens like chill find out where her queen is located will she be able to rescue her and restore her honor?

Next joystick competion is near and the jelous competitor is there will fright rider be able to beat it ?

past example

did you saw the spyro new wings find out where they came from with is episode !

Find out a bit more about Stealth Elf past!

voodood last strugle. fight the last battle of the orc tribe! (or the voodood enter the Cave of Trials )
---
Expect the unexpected
Zylek Yellow Sparx Gems: 1920
#24 Posted: 21:28:10 04/02/2013
They need to bring back Adventure packs or something that unlocks new content later in the release of the game. At least in SSA we got new levels months after the original release when EOI and DP were released. Foe SG, we blew through the game and nightmare mode within 2 weeks and haven't had anything "new" to place except the new heroic challenges that appear when you add the waves 2+ figures, and those aren't all that interesting.

We've found that we are not all that excited about these later wave figures and haven't played the game all that much since late November. Skylanders 3 needs something new to deliver new content on a more regular basis because the figures that aren't included in the launch , at least to us, are worth all that much as there there isn't anything new to play them on.

Look at Wham Shell, he came out so late in SSA that when we bought him, we played with him for one day and leveled him up and became bored playing the same old levels again and stopped playing SSA. When SG came out, we played exclusively with the newlanders, giants, and S2 characters because they were "new". So Wham Shell really didn't very much play value other than just completing the set.
---
Anyone know where my avatar is from?
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 23:43:41 04/02/2013 by Zylek
Hexin_Wishes Yellow Sparx Gems: 1522
#25 Posted: 23:42:03 04/02/2013
It's obvious the battle packs were an attempt to make the game have replayability except that it flopped. Adventure packs need to make a swift return.
FLEIJA Green Sparx Gems: 395
#26 Posted: 23:48:42 04/02/2013
battle packs failed so bad cause there no on to battle. they shud have added online features and 4players at least before they focused on battle packs. Adventure packs shud always be in every wave of figures for longer gameplay. I hope they deliver well with their announcement at the toy fair.
---
MIA: Volcanic Vault & Gnarly Tree Rex
Zylek Yellow Sparx Gems: 1920
#27 Posted: 23:56:49 04/02/2013
I don't get why they don't have additional content available for download after launch. They wouldn't even have to have the extra levels ready when the game initially ships, the new levels could be part of an update when they have them ready.

Their insistence on having everything on the game disc really limits their flexibility for adding gameplay imo.
---
Anyone know where my avatar is from?
Hexin_Wishes Yellow Sparx Gems: 1522
#28 Posted: 00:10:32 05/02/2013
Isn't it because the Wii doesn't really do add-on content. The Wii U does though...errr, or I think it does.
Ryanator20x6 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1848
#29 Posted: 00:22:52 05/02/2013
Quote: Hexin_Wishes
Isn't it because the Wii doesn't really do add-on content. The Wii U does though...errr, or I think it does.

It does. smilie
---
Hello from Seattle

ask.fm/RyanNeely889
#30 Posted: 03:43:03 05/02/2013
*snip*

I'll ask this again: Does anyone actually USE Magic Items?
Funny that you keep going on about how the game is too easy then offer options to make it even moreso.

Even worse- we have Magic Items that are already fine enough.
Both of those ideas sound hideous to me.

And how do the Spell Punks have "unique designs"? They're literally recolors of one another, plus a swapped symbol. And that isn't an exaggeration if you go into the game and compare them.

There's a point where having ,)7247832:732:8)8732 of the same species becomes boring. I'd love to see a gopher or a mabu, or a werewolf or vampire bat, or Chimera or Cockatrice, or some other undone species as a Skylander, but it won't happen because they keep making elves and dragons to the point that it's becoming repetitive. We have nine dragons and four elves(five, if you assume Chill is an elf), which is PLENTY for those respective species among 48 characters. They can only make so many Skylanders and figures per game and making very similar characters is wasting space that could be filled with more original ones.

Quote: Hakann
[snip]

THIS is something that needs to happen. Potentially tonnes of levels, they're more interesting than what we have, and they encourage player to use specific figure which makes leveling everyone more interesting. Plop this on top of a 30-level (including APs) main game with a realized and full Time Trial mode a la Crash Bandicoot: Warped. Bam. Skylanders is instantly better to play.

Heck, if they made it as fun, 30 Levels around the length of Giants' with a Time Trial mode in each would make it much better on its own. Please go play Crash Bandicoot: Warped, getting a difficult Platinum is a joy in that game after having dropped many sweat and blood. Some of the Platinums can take weeks if you're really bad at them. I beat Under Pressure's by a mere 0:00:04 seconds in a huge fluke- if that can't be a definition of exciting, I don't know what can.

Magic Items and Battle Pieces would unlock levels pertaining to parts of their main lore too, so that they aren't so useless. Winged Boots would bring you to another part of Dragon's Peak. Volcanic Vault would bring you to a long boss/arena styled level.

I realize that this would be a more massive undertaking than making newer characters, but, they could make it happen if they made them as shorter levels and actually planned for it(when I'm hearing they didn't plan too much for Giants, and that was a leap forward compared to Spyro's Adventure). Heck, I'd be happy having extra levels per character instead of Heroics- does anyone actually enjoy Heroics at all? I only do them for dedication bragging rights. "Hey, I have every character with every upgrade and all Quests and Heroics finished."

Alas, everyone is just dreaming about things that will never happen. The fact is that none of us here do work at Toys For Bob or Activision, no matter how much we may want to. (Besides ATVIAssist...)

Actually, it does. However, the amount of content it can patch on is so low that it's useless in most cases.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 03:47:54 05/02/2013 by GamingMaster_76
#31 Posted: 04:30:06 05/02/2013
GM76, the Spell Punks got different looks for Giants, but are recolors in the first game.

In keeping with the idea that Magical Items look simple in nature, the best way to release 8 Spell Punk Magical Items, is to base them off of the looks in the first game, which are recolors. That way, TFB needs to only make one mold, and color them differently. Bam, instand profit.

I also mentioned in my collection topic, how I wish TFB would make two games per year. Kaos-centered storylines come in October, along with new figures, while April brings Skylanders: Tales from Skylands, which is a collection of about 15-16 levels, all with different levels, based around various lore in Skylands.

One level could be to drive out the Driller Trolls from Wham Shell's aquatic kingdom, and another level could be a spooky graveyard/crypt/haunted house level, where a spirit has become the ruler of other spirits, so the Skylanders have to put said spirit on ice. Maybe there could even be a return to Dragon's Peak, where someone higher than Vathek has unpetrified Vathek and taken over the throne while Flavius and Ramses were out stretching their wings.

The possibilities are endless.

This side-story game, every April, wouldn't feature new figures, but would keep customers tied over, who find these games to be too short.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 04:54:29 05/02/2013 by ItsJustMe
ItsJustMe Yellow Sparx Gems: 1273
#32 Posted: 04:53:01 05/02/2013
I like the concept of releasing new actual game discs multiple times a year. The way things are right now they sporadically release new content but its all in the same format. Offering multiple discs a year allows players to do more things and would likely sell even more figures that all link together to different versions of the game.

This way the company could potentially get strong sales for multiple figure purchases and actual game sales. As customers buy multiple colors of the same generation of pokemon game to "collect them all " they would here to. A lot of customers would be buying a starter kit everytime too to get the rare new figure. I bought a mobile starter just fro Royal Double Trouble and I didn't even get a new game I could play with him.

At this point I'm pretty much done with buying figures but I might still be up for buying a lot of games if this is where they are actually going. The announcement that Skylander 3 was four separate games would definitely once again recreate the industry. I don't see this happening though.
X-Treme Ripto Gems: 360
#33 Posted: 05:09:46 05/02/2013
What would make this games sales shoot up the most is posable-figures. The kids love skylanders already, the one thing that would make them like it more would be miveable figures.
UncleBob Ripto Gems: 4565
#34 Posted: 05:57:22 05/02/2013
Instead of Adventure Packs, I'd like if each figure unlocked a new level. The new level wouldn't have to be something overly expansive (but would need to be much more than the heroic challenge). It'd expand the playability of the game and would encourage folks to buy more figures.
Enderslot Green Sparx Gems: 248
#35 Posted: 06:00:55 05/02/2013
what if they made an agreement with Nintendo and added Pokemon.... smilie
ItsJustMe Yellow Sparx Gems: 1273
#36 Posted: 06:08:16 05/02/2013
Quote: UncleBob
Instead of Adventure Packs, I'd like if each figure unlocked a new level. The new level wouldn't have to be something overly expansive (but would need to be much more than the heroic challenge). It'd expand the playability of the game and would encourage folks to buy more figures.

I just had this scene run through my head.

Kid:"Hey dad, I just beat that new skylanders game we need to go back to the store"
Dad:"What do you mean I just bought that for you this morning"
Kid: "Oh it only has one level for each character you have so I just own one level of it"
Dad: "Son, you have a whole room full of skylanders"
Kid: "Well only skylanders with the new (pick color here) base actually unlock new levels"
Dad: "so your saying I just spent sixty bucks on a one level game"
Kid: "I told you to buy me the starter pack for $75, it came with thee figures"
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 06:09:34 05/02/2013 by ItsJustMe
UncleBob Ripto Gems: 4565
#37 Posted: 06:15:52 05/02/2013
lol. I would assume the base game would still be a full game. smilie

Though, if they went digital distribution, they could sell the "hub" for free/99 cents. Think something like your home base in the online game, but way more customizable. Every time you load a figure, you get a new destination that Flynn's ship can take you to. Beating each new level gives you new items to customize your home base.

Also, the main hub lets your online friends come and visit. And battle. smilie
flashwingftw Emerald Sparx Gems: 3332
#38 Posted: 13:39:51 05/02/2013
Quote: GamingMaster_76
*snip*

I'll ask this again: Does anyone actually USE Magic Items?
Funny that you keep going on about how the game is too easy then offer options to make it even moreso.

Even worse- we have Magic Items that are already fine enough.
Both of those ideas sound hideous to me.

And how do the Spell Punks have "unique designs"? They're literally recolors of one another, plus a swapped symbol. And that isn't an exaggeration if you go into the game and compare them.

There's a point where having ,)7247832:732:8)8732 of the same species becomes boring. I'd love to see a gopher or a mabu, or a werewolf or vampire bat, or Chimera or Cockatrice, or some other undone species as a Skylander, but it won't happen because they keep making elves and dragons to the point that it's becoming repetitive. We have nine dragons and four elves(five, if you assume Chill is an elf), which is PLENTY for those respective species among 48 characters. They can only make so many Skylanders and figures per game and making very similar characters is wasting space that could be filled with more original ones.

Quote: Hakann
[snip]

THIS is something that needs to happen. Potentially tonnes of levels, they're more interesting than what we have, and they encourage player to use specific figure which makes leveling everyone more interesting. Plop this on top of a 30-level (including APs) main game with a realized and full Time Trial mode a la Crash Bandicoot: Warped. Bam. Skylanders is instantly better to play.

Heck, if they made it as fun, 30 Levels around the length of Giants' with a Time Trial mode in each would make it much better on its own. Please go play Crash Bandicoot: Warped, getting a difficult Platinum is a joy in that game after having dropped many sweat and blood. Some of the Platinums can take weeks if you're really bad at them. I beat Under Pressure's by a mere 0:00:04 seconds in a huge fluke- if that can't be a definition of exciting, I don't know what can.

Magic Items and Battle Pieces would unlock levels pertaining to parts of their main lore too, so that they aren't so useless. Winged Boots would bring you to another part of Dragon's Peak. Volcanic Vault would bring you to a long boss/arena styled level.

I realize that this would be a more massive undertaking than making newer characters, but, they could make it happen if they made them as shorter levels and actually planned for it(when I'm hearing they didn't plan too much for Giants, and that was a leap forward compared to Spyro's Adventure). Heck, I'd be happy having extra levels per character instead of Heroics- does anyone actually enjoy Heroics at all? I only do them for dedication bragging rights. "Hey, I have every character with every upgrade and all Quests and Heroics finished."

Alas, everyone is just dreaming about things that will never happen. The fact is that none of us here do work at Toys For Bob or Activision, no matter how much we may want to. (Besides ATVIAssist...)

Actually, it does. However, the amount of content it can patch on is so low that it's useless in most cases.

How would the developers fit all of that in 1 YEAR?????
---
The PinkPrint is on iTunes now! #TeamMinaj
Been here for 3 years and still can't figure out why half of the people are so damn rude.
R.I.P to my wallet
#39 Posted: 15:05:09 05/02/2013
GM76, the Spell Punks got different looks for Giants, but are recolors in the first game.

False. They're still the same. Those Spell Punk redesigns I believe you're referring to are actually new enemies, Trogmanders. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Quote:
I also mentioned in my collection topic, how I wish TFB would make two games per year. Kaos-centered storylines come in October, along with new figures, while April brings Skylanders: Tales from Skylands, which is a collection of about 15-16 levels, all with different levels, based around various lore in Skylands.

But we already pay so, so much. The only way that most people would want two games a year is if they reduced costs of figures. Which means less profit for them, which means potentially lower quality games, or even loss if they had to drive cost too low. Option is not a bad thing but I'd imagine the general public wouldn't be happy, considering there's already a very large amount of figures being produced, and they'd just see it as "they're milking the franchise". Heck, most people I talk to skip the series as a whole because of that(though I don't think it's as bad as they're getting impressions of). There's just too much to buy for people who want everything but don't have the funds to dedicate to a more hardcore collection. I'D like that to have for MY collection, and I'm all for getting new content as long as it isn't as lame cost:length as APs were, but it would really turn off lots of people that don't buy the game.
Quote:
This side-story game, every April, wouldn't feature new figures, but would keep customers tied over, who find these games to be too short.

This is something I like. That might nullify my last point too.

I think we should just agree to disagree and say that we have different ideas on what would be best for the franchise, because otherwise my temper issues will show through and I'll start saying things that are just absurd. smilie
Quote: Enderslot
what if they made an agreement with Nintendo and added Pokemon.... smilie

Nintendo and Gamefreak know that 50% of people in the fan base will disdain that idea(myself included, honestly), since then you'd either need 600+ toys for a completed set, or they would only include about 100 or so Pokémon(which they've done in past games- and said games were often some of the less-lauded in the series), thus annoying people like me who would like simply the choice of their favourites and a completed set at the same time. Sticking with the main series is best because they won't lose any sales that way(from the toy idea). If they keep at what they've done so well for the past decade + bounds more people will continue supporting it. They're smart enough to know that.
Quote: flashwingftw
How would the developers fit all of that in 1 YEAR?????

The original Crash Bandicoot trilogy had new games yearly. TFB could have easily made a time trial mode and I think that alone would expand the thing a lot.
As for levels-per-Skylander, hey don't need to do it over one year. Steadily develop extra levels for characters in background while releasing new games and add them when done. After that making some new levels for each new Skylander would be relatively smooth sailing. Quality product takes time, but that doesn't mean that they can't work on it while they're doing other stuff. They already have backstories, all that they need to do is make a batch of levels from them. They don't even need to be fully-fledged, I think even a fleshed Heroic-length level for each character would help somewhat. Heck, they can just hire some extra people, it's probably not like Activision don't have spare cash from all the millions of figures that they've sold... (Though I doubt they'd be willing to share much of it smilie)
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 15:17:10 05/02/2013 by GamingMaster_76
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me