darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Skylanders: Giants > Disney infinity felling threatened skylanders
First | Previous | Page 6 of 6
1 2 3 4 5 6
Disney infinity felling threatened skylanders [CLOSED]
GhostRoaster Yellow Sparx Gems: 1803
#251 Posted: 03:11:41 11/02/2013
Quote: siowm6
I think that it is up to TFB, and Activision here. After you 100% Skylanders games, you can play battle mode, or level up characters. But it starts to get into a Grind mode pretty quickly. From the looks of Disney's product having the Little Big Planet type of build and sharing of levels, this would give the game a much longer play time. And by that encourage more people to become collectors than casual players.

Time will tell but Activision is going to decide the future with the next game. Will it go WoW or Guitar Hero depends on if they can extend playtime past the core levels enough to satisfy.

Great observation. I think the potential of the technology looks better from Skylander's perspective. The freedom of not being tied to an IP is going to be both Activision's strength and weakness (and Disney conversely so). I actually think Infinity's "story mode" looks VERY weak as you can only use characters from that world...but it's in the game's "creative mode" that it really shines. Skylander's game is quite the opposite--and when the game is done it's basically some challenges and grinding on character levels. However each of the Disney worlds is distinct enough that I have to be vested in each and every franchise/world. Skylanders is infinite and there's no unique distinction between the character worlds.

Skylanders needs something else once "story mode" is done, or branching the adventure according to statistics recorded from the skylanders you use. They have the power to make the games VERY different than they are now...lots of untapped power. Mindcraft and now Infinity supports a Map Editor...we need to see this and multi-play capabilities in Skylanders asap (but a better spin on this).

From a collecting toy aspect---both franchises will do well for those customers who may not give a flip on actual gameplay because they are collecting the toys.
---
RIP GhostRoaster. He's reanimated as TakeYourLemons but occasionally is resurrected from the beyond when needed.
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 03:30:39 11/02/2013 by GhostRoaster
shroom boom Emerald Sparx Gems: 3133
#252 Posted: 03:54:06 11/02/2013
well familygamertv said that infinity has online gam,play
---
103 skylanders in total SSA:31/32 SG:26/30 SSF:39/56
fireofexile Blue Sparx Gems: 703
#253 Posted: 12:58:27 11/02/2013
I think that if Skylanders had an MMORPG-type computer game, it'd do great, where you can explore with other Skylanders, do quests, and battle enemies. Sort of like Battlegrounds, but more... awesome.
GhostRoaster617 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3963
#254 Posted: 04:21:35 02/06/2013
The game only feels like buying multiple games that are labeled the same even though the characters can't play in each others worlds. Also isn't it weird how the Lone Ranger is getting made before the more fan demanded movies in this game? I know they just want to have it ready since both are clearly are close to release, but there's making Pirates childish and now they want that next?
---
Grave Clobber is back to bury you!
Imaginators smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie Villains smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
Seiki Platinum Sparx Gems: 6081
#255 Posted: 04:26:33 02/06/2013
Quote: GhostRoaster617
The game only feels like buying multiple games that are labeled the same even though the characters can't play in each others worlds. Also isn't it weird how the Lone Ranger is getting made before the more fan demanded movies in this game? I know they just want to have it ready since both are clearly are close to release, but there's making Pirates childish and now they want that next?

^This. Lone Ranger? srsly?

I refuse to even consider buying this game until Mulan AND Peter Pan are released as a part of it. :l
---
Once in my dreams, I rose and soared. No matter how I'm knocked around or beaten down, I will stand up restored.
kappapopm Ripto Gems: 1186
#256 Posted: 10:44:39 02/06/2013
i will only be interested if they have the duck universe and mickey mouse universe .... im not really interested in these new characters they are using... they just lack originality and are boring.
NINJAsk11 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1124
#257 Posted: 10:55:42 02/06/2013
i wil keep my answer short: no, skylanders is the first one starting and will rule from that moent forth!
zookinator Platinum Sparx Gems: 5694
#258 Posted: 12:26:47 02/06/2013
They either seem to be using characters from Pixar/Disney movies, or live action movies from Disney.
---
Skylanders Colosseum Clash
A Fanmade Skylanders Boardgame
Tashiji Yellow Sparx Gems: 1453
#259 Posted: 16:12:47 02/06/2013
It all just depends on what kind of game you like. Characters alone will not conclude this; if they did, I would actually say that would be Skylanders' advantage, since they have the richer character pool. After all, Disney is bound by its own limitations--if it's not a pre-existing Disney character, it can't be in the game. Skylanders, however, creates its own characters, meaning A) that the possibilities are limitless and B ) that they can create characters based on the needs of the game engine (see Swap Force) and not just on what characters they already have. But I digress, because that's only part of the equation.

The other aspect we need to be looking at is gameplay styles. Skylanders is a Diablo/Gauntlet style RPG-ish beat 'em 'up. Infinity is a sandbox game with Little Big Planet elements. Two entirely different animals, with different crowds. People who want Skylanders gameplay with Disney characters will be disappointed, but people who want freedom at the expense of character growth (you don't build stats in Infinity as far as I know) will like the sandbox elements more than the RPG elements. Two different crowds. Personally, I'm an RPG guy, and I appreciate that about Skylanders. I'm unlikely to enjoy the umpteenth sandbox game after having played, well, better sandbox titles like GTA and Infamous. I'm likely to stick with Skylanders. But there are plenty of kids out there who don't have the same gaming experience as myself--an adult/father who's been gaming since he was a child--and will find sandbox/LBP gameplay fresh. Even though it's far from it.

Long story short, it's not the Disney property versus the Skylanders property, it's about gameplay too.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 17:31:58 02/06/2013 by Tashiji
#260 Posted: 16:32:54 02/06/2013
thats a point too, and the way disny plays is not a favourite of mine, i want to keep the dungeon crawling, spamming with attacks and sometimes funn plans to get around, so far, i have no idea if disny is the same.....
but , if i had to go back to characters, i cant see how some characters in disny can attack..........
wreckingballbob Emerald Sparx Gems: 4565
#261 Posted: 16:35:11 02/06/2013
Disney infinity is a stupid skylanders rip-off and I hope it fails.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 16:35:48 02/06/2013 by wreckingballbob
#262 Posted: 16:37:08 02/06/2013
YEAH *searches for fire*
i hate it that it looks a little like minecraft....and i HATE minecraft, with is another reason for me to hat disny
wreckingballbob Emerald Sparx Gems: 4565
#263 Posted: 16:43:12 02/06/2013
Quote: NINJAsk11
YEAH *searches for fire*
i hate it that it looks a little like minecraft....and i HATE minecraft, with is another reason for me to hat disny

I HATE MINECRAFT AND DISNEY INFINITY TOO.
---
SkylandFollower Green Sparx Gems: 151
#264 Posted: 17:06:43 02/06/2013
Yes, we need another one of these topics, and it needed a bump... smilie On a Skylanders Forum I think it's quite clear what many peoples' responses will be: a. think nothing much of DI, b. are just getting some stuff from it, or c. are quitting Skylanders and why are they staying.

Personally, I'm not buying it, but my cousin is, and I'm buying Swap Force, so it's just like the old days where I would share my Genesis with my friend and play their SNES! smilie

@Tashiji Your characters can level up and complete quests in Toy Box iirc- I don't remember specifically but I know that there is something like those.
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 17:09:22 02/06/2013 by SkylandFollower
newkill Emerald Sparx Gems: 3988
#265 Posted: 21:48:57 02/06/2013
Nah, Skylanders > Infinity
---
bye
Ash Starkindle Gold Sparx Gems: 2625
#266 Posted: 23:12:21 02/06/2013
Disney needs to get off its big fat a and stop stealing from Skylanders AND Minecraft!
SkylandFollower Green Sparx Gems: 151
#267 Posted: 02:26:21 03/06/2013
Quote: Ash Starkindle
Mojang needs to get off its big fat a and stop stealing from Infiniminer AND Dwarf Fortress!

Fixed

Believe it or not, everything is a rip off of everything. Skylanders, in its essence, is really a rip off of the dungeon crawler genre in general that offers little that is really new gameplay-wise.

I have said it before and will say it again: just because one aspect of a game is used in another game, it does not mean that the other game will be bad. Minecraft is arguably the among the absolute best games in its genre(possibly the best, but that's up for debate against Terraria), and is FAR from the first.

If anything, Infinity is more like LBP. Get yo' games correct if you're going to say that it's a rip off.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 02:30:14 03/06/2013 by SkylandFollower
DinoHex Blue Sparx Gems: 735
#268 Posted: 02:41:08 03/06/2013
In reality, a lot of people don't give two cruds about Disney anymore. The only two really important movies they ever made were Mary Poppins and Fantasia, and almost everything else isn't that significant outside of pretty animation. Lately Disney's been making mostly garbage, with a few exceptions like Tangeled, Wreck it Ralph, and Meet the Robinsons, and all their other good movies are made by other people, and they just slap their name on it and take credit for it.

I've never considered Pixar films Disney films, and those who do are the rabid Disney fans trying to justify liking a company that primarily makes pretty shallow movies. Even Nightmare Before Christmas (My all time favourite movie) isn't really a Disney film since originally they didn't even want their name attached to it. They originally released it under the Touchstone brand, and it wasn't until many years later when Nightmare finally became popular that they slapped their name all over it trying to pretend they had anything to do with it, when the DVD commentaries make it pretty clear Tim Burton and his friends had very little help in getting the project made. Then they go and buy Marvel and Lucasfilm to pretend that The Avengers and the upcoming Star Wars movie are Disney movies, when really they probably have nothing to do with it. Let's also not forget that they bought up the rights to Miyazaki localizations, and tried to take credit for them too.

Basically what I'm saying is that smart people see through Disney's disguise. The company was really never the same once Walt Disney passed away, and the company became the Activision of the kid's film world. It's Disney's marketing team that make them look like this super important company when really there has almost always been people making far better kids movies than they were. Only the rabid Disney die-hards (and Kingdom Hearts fans) defend them at this point, and they will be the main people that buy this game. Aside from that, most other people probably won't care at all.
---
smilie smilie and smilie: The three greatest Skylanders out of them all.
Seiki Platinum Sparx Gems: 6081
#269 Posted: 03:09:49 03/06/2013
Quote: DinoHex
In reality, a lot of people don't give two cruds about Disney anymore. The only two really important movies they ever made were Mary Poppins and Fantasia, and almost everything else isn't that significant outside of pretty animation. Lately Disney's been making mostly garbage, with a few exceptions like Tangeled, Wreck it Ralph, and Meet the Robinsons, and all their other good movies are made by other people, and they just slap their name on it and take credit for it.

I've never considered Pixar films Disney films, and those who do are the rabid Disney fans trying to justify liking a company that primarily makes pretty shallow movies. Even Nightmare Before Christmas (My all time favourite movie) isn't really a Disney film since originally they didn't even want their name attached to it. They originally released it under the Touchstone brand, and it wasn't until many years later when Nightmare finally became popular that they slapped their name all over it trying to pretend they had anything to do with it, when the DVD commentaries make it pretty clear Tim Burton and his friends had very little help in getting the project made. Then they go and buy Marvel and Lucasfilm to pretend that The Avengers and the upcoming Star Wars movie are Disney movies, when really they probably have nothing to do with it. Let's also not forget that they bought up the rights to Miyazaki localizations, and tried to take credit for them too.

Basically what I'm saying is that smart people see through Disney's disguise. The company was really never the same once Walt Disney passed away, and the company became the Activision of the kid's film world. It's Disney's marketing team that make them look like this super important company when really there has almost always been people making far better kids movies than they were. Only the rabid Disney die-hards (and Kingdom Hearts fans) defend them at this point, and they will be the main people that buy this game. Aside from that, most other people probably won't care at all.

I am a die-hard Disney AND KH fan, yet I agree with the bolded. Pixar is Pixar, though honestly I consider them more Disney than things like Star Wars and Marvel. Marvel is Marvel and Star Wars is Lucas. If they try to put either in KH, I'm sending sooooo much hatemail to so many people.

I will admit Disney channel has been going downhill, though at least they can call themselves better than Cartoon Network at this point, but not by very much. Mulan is rather my favorite for the story, the art, and the songs are good too. Peter Pan and Nightmare Before Christmas are favorites of mine as well. As one can tell by my avatar, I'm even a fan of the Nightmare world in KH.

I do feel some confidence in Tetsuya Nomura (creator of KH for those who don't know) that he won't screw it up and should stick to good Disney as much as possible.

Honestly, until Disney gets their act together and puts some REAL Disney in Disney Infinity, I have no interest in it. Nightmare Before Christmas and Pirates of the Carribean are the only ones I've seen that would count.
---
Once in my dreams, I rose and soared. No matter how I'm knocked around or beaten down, I will stand up restored.
DinoHex Blue Sparx Gems: 735
#270 Posted: 05:29:12 03/06/2013
I must admit, I was a little nervous about my previous post, but I'm glad to see a Disney fan didn't get too mad. X D

Before people go nuts, I should state that I really don't hate Disney. They USED to make really fine movies. Nothing too deep, but really fine movies. To me Disney was pretty darn good up until The Emperor's New Groove, which is one of my favourite Disney films.

I'm mostly just frustrated with modern Disney how they try to claim everyone's GOOD work as their own, and slap their logo in front of movies they overall had nothing to do with like Nightmare Before Christmas. (A project they really didn't care about until many years later when it became popular) That one frustrates me a LOT because they changed the opening for the far worse just to pretend they made it. Originally the music playing against the touchstone logo set the mood so well, and it fit the style of the movie a lot better. Now on the Blu-ray it says in big cheap orange font.

"WALT DISNEY'S THE NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS"

Liars. >__> I always make a point to watch the DVD version as the Blu-ray's opening leaves me angry for the few few minutes. Which is a shame since the movie is beautiful on Blu-ray.

I'm also bitter because it looked like Wreck-it-Ralph was them FINALLY trying to make good movies again, because that paper airplane short before the movie made me feel like I was a kid again watching a NEW Disney film! Then Wreck-it Ralph itself was also really good with some great writing and no stupid musical segments for no reason. "What a great movie" I thought. Then I find out their next project is...

"PLANES: THE MOVIE SO LAME PIXAR SAID NO WAY, BUT WE GOTTA SELL MORE TOYS DANGGIT!"

My rant is basically from the viewpoint of a former Disney fan that can't stand how far the company has fallen. : (
---
smilie smilie and smilie: The three greatest Skylanders out of them all.
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 05:43:28 03/06/2013 by DinoHex
Doomslicer Gold Sparx Gems: 2037
#271 Posted: 05:44:04 03/06/2013
i did enjoy Wreck-it-ralph (and a parody of it called Wreck-it-Gandalph), and Marvel Cinematic universe, otherwise, Disney hasn't done so well.
Since they're stupid enough not to put in Star Wars or Marvel into Infinity (or Kingdom hearts for that matter, but since it's owned by Square-Eenix that might not be possible anyway), I think Skylanders has a chance.
---
Check out my fanfic Guide to Skylands, my DeviantArt, and my Minecraft skins in my GB!
zookinator Platinum Sparx Gems: 5694
#272 Posted: 13:57:57 03/06/2013
Yeah, most of Disney's movies have not so good, and their ideas for new ones are terrible. "Planes" has got to be one if their worst ideas so far. I am glad for Wreck-It Ralph, and it is one of my favorite movies from them, especially since it has no music scenes. I think Disney is trying to become the largest movie company because of all the companies they are buying. It isn't right. They are just sticking their names on other peoples works of art. And the latest Disney shows on Disney channel *AAAARRRGGGHHH* they are terrible. They don't even use actual cities! All it is really is just some cheap shows with backgrounds and props.
---
Skylanders Colosseum Clash
A Fanmade Skylanders Boardgame
#273 Posted: 23:39:01 03/06/2013
Yeah.
Here is some description of their new PACMAN show I found:
Thousands of years ago, Pac-World was a place of peace and harmony, until traitors tried to take over Pac-World. They were defeated and deprived of their physical bodies and exiled to the Netherworld. Now they have escaped in the form of mischievous ghosts and other horrible monsters who are determined to regain physical bodies and take over Pac-World. Now it is up to Pac-Man, a slow-witted teenage slacker with a voracious appetite, and his friends to restore peace to Pac-World.
Ouch.
And the one potential masterpiece of a show they have (TRON Uprising), they go and cancel despite the pleas of hundreds of fans. Max Steel... meh (it seems to "steel" lots of things from the Star Force anime/games, alien merging with human, main character's dad missing but known to have interacted with alien partner, etc.)... I kinda like the Metroid-ish suits but the dialogue is just terrible at some points. As for their sitcoms, ANT Farm is the only thing that's palatable (though being a dog-lover, Dog with a Blog is to I guess).
Also, Infinity sounds great, but when was the last time Disney's game studios made an amazing game (again, Kingdom Hearts wasn't directly made by them)?
---
Check out my fanfic Guide to Skylands, my DeviantArt, and my Minecraft skins in my GB!
ZapNorris Ripto Gems: 5109
#274 Posted: 02:07:17 04/06/2013
I Actually want to watch that Pac-Man series.
#275 Posted: 03:54:22 04/06/2013
Yeah, but Pac-man's got a secret identity at a highschool. I'll probably skip (actually I want to see it too :P)
---
MugoUrth Ripto Gems: 3234
#276 Posted: 21:24:54 04/06/2013
Even if Infinity has Stitch, Lilo, Nani, Jumba, Cobra... ...I'm sorry, I'm really not a big Disney fan past Lilo & Stitch and the Pixar movies.

...But regardless, I still wouldn't get it. Also, those figures look UUUUUUgly.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 21:25:22 04/06/2013 by MugoUrth
JetVac96 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1973
#277 Posted: 23:08:23 04/06/2013
I for one look forward to Disney Infinity AND Swap Force and I'm also looking forward to Planes because I'm such a huge fan of the Cars movies. I also think Disney Infinity will do EXTREMELY well and hope it does. I have already pre-ordered everything and can't wait! E3 will definitely make me more excited for both games!
---
"Sucks to be you!" - Jet Vac
Lilly Windwave Red Sparx Gems: 59
#278 Posted: 10:37:52 08/08/2013
I think Skylanders will be better.
why?
1. disney interactive dosen't make that good of games

2. Skylanders has got a year of a head start.

3. Infinity has Jack Sparrow, Sulley, and Ralph as well as Lightning Mqueen, Perry the platypus, and Max from tangled? really, disney should try harder.

the roster for infinity is like a bag of bertie bott's every flavour beans. Lightning Mcqueen racing... Jack Sparrow in aa bike and Sulley riding on Max?

Disney has gone too far.
---
Hey You! Tweet this! Just saw swap force today, and they swapped mah pants! #swapforce #yomama
GhostRoaster Yellow Sparx Gems: 1803
#279 Posted: 15:57:07 09/08/2013
Quote: siowm6
I think that it is up to TFB, and Activision here. After you 100% Skylanders games, you can play battle mode, or level up characters. But it starts to get into a Grind mode pretty quickly. From the looks of Disney's product having the Little Big Planet type of build and sharing of levels, this would give the game a much longer play time. And by that encourage more people to become collectors than casual players.

Skylanders getting online PvP, as has been talked about here alot, would only be one part of the equation. Not all players want to play Street Fighter with their Skylanders. Some want that LBP run around type of thing, but are not going to want to play the same 16 levels over and over with online friends.

Time will tell but Activision is going to decide the future with the next game. Will it go WoW or Guitar Hero depends on if they can extend playtime past the core levels enough to satisfy.

I share the hopes and criticisms herein. And it's their game to lose. I'm partial to more criticism this time because of the content problem--they are concentrating too much on toys...this needs some serious balancing.
---
RIP GhostRoaster. He's reanimated as TakeYourLemons but occasionally is resurrected from the beyond when needed.
First | Previous | Page 6 of 6
1 2 3 4 5 6

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me