darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Skylanders: Giants > Disney infinity felling threatened skylanders
First | Previous | Page 3 of 6 | Next | Last
1 2 3 4 5 6
Disney infinity felling threatened skylanders [CLOSED]
Hexin_Wishes Yellow Sparx Gems: 1522
#101 Posted: 05:27:22 16/01/2013
Wait, it says "power discs", I assume those are the upgrades. OK, I see no issue with that, it'd be like trading cards essentially.
WUMBOSIMPSON Yellow Sparx Gems: 1424
#102 Posted: 06:46:43 16/01/2013
I can't wait to see these in stores.
---
cry baby, I am
riverhippo Yellow Sparx Gems: 1049
#103 Posted: 06:58:04 16/01/2013
Quote: Aquatic Llama
Guys, it's blind package. You don't get to choose which figures you want. Disney can kiss their chances good bye.

http://www.http://www.gonintendo.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=103235

It also costs $13 per figure...

there's no such thing as a true blind package. I'm a brony, and you can get the blind bag ponies that you want just by looking at the printed number on the package. As long as you know what you're doing, it's never truly blind.
FLEIJA Green Sparx Gems: 395
#104 Posted: 07:58:23 16/01/2013
marvel + starwars infinity = death of skylanders! mwuahaha let the flaming begin!
---
MIA: Volcanic Vault & Gnarly Tree Rex
#105 Posted: 08:52:56 16/01/2013
Activision and TFB shud take this seriuosly as this is a major threat to them. please read as I fainted when I read the last couple paragraphs.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/1/...disney-infinity
---
Aura24 Platinum Sparx Gems: 6561
#106 Posted: 09:01:41 16/01/2013
FLE, there is an edit button for a reason. No need to double/triple post to add in new content.

And Activision already knows of Disney Infinity: http://www.gamespot.com/news/a...nfinity-6402458
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
skyp1e Green Sparx Gems: 306
#107 Posted: 09:28:17 16/01/2013
OH my poor wallet!

http://www.polygon.com/2013/1/...tar-wars-marvel
---
Mine Portalmaster #788111 smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie
Son's smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie
Daughter's smilie smilie smiliex2 smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie
sprocketrocket Emerald Sparx Gems: 3679
#108 Posted: 12:12:03 16/01/2013
Quote: terrafan
You know who we need?
Mr. Fredrickson

we also need genie from aladdin
---
"When your beard is getting weird, Beard Spray! For men!"
sprocketrocket Emerald Sparx Gems: 3679
#109 Posted: 12:14:54 16/01/2013
Quote: isaac343018s
Quote: Zeeker
Dude just leave Camoses alone....seriously.

Oh don't worry, I'm fine....No troll pulls me under the bridge.....if you get what I'm saying.....smilie

In any case, Ill add Syndrome, Buzz, and Mrs. Incredible to the list of characters I want to go and get.

mr.incredible is in the starter pack and syndrome mrs.incredible violet and dash all come in a pack

EDIT: sorry for double post
---
"When your beard is getting weird, Beard Spray! For men!"
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 12:22:08 16/01/2013 by sprocketrocket
spyroblue Green Sparx Gems: 351
#110 Posted: 12:30:51 16/01/2013
Dont forget Jessica Rabbit she most be in game
---
"Crazy is as Crazy does!"
Aquatic Llama Green Sparx Gems: 436
#111 Posted: 12:45:16 16/01/2013
Quote: YOLOrenzo
Blind package is a rumor. They're dumb if its true.

Characters from different franchises can play together in Toy Box mode which is a mix between Minecraft and Little Big Planet.

You guys are insane if you don't think this game will be HUGE.

Anyone who thinks this will be as big as Skylanders is crazy.
#112 Posted: 13:11:54 16/01/2013

Characters from different franchises can play together in Toy Box mode which is a mix between Minecraft and Little Big Planet.

ever heard of Tron? umm Marvel??? how bout Starwars??? disney aquisition???? ring a bell? smilie for now i think it wont cause too much for skylanders cause its too cartoony. it caters for kids and prolly some Disney collectors but ones they pull out their arsenal TFB/Activision shud make something revolutionary or else they'll loose alot of its fan base.... this is just for figures perse and what if its gameplay is heaps and bound better than skylanders, we'll just have to wait and see.
---
#113 Posted: 13:18:14 16/01/2013
Quote: Aura24
FLE, there is an edit button for a reason. No need to double/triple post to add in new content.

And Activision already knows of Disney Infinity: http://www.gamespot.com/news/a...nfinity-6402458

sorry didnt realize it was double posted as the posts are 1 hour apart and i was on my smart phone.

if they dont do something now Activision will loose alot of its fan base considering how huge Disney's franchise is. i hope they dont get too cocky and takes this seriously. we luv the skylanders franchise and we do hope it will survive in the long run. smilie
---
Brutungo Blue Sparx Gems: 548
#114 Posted: 13:42:03 16/01/2013
I hope they add darkwing duck and a darkwing duck themed world to fight his villians. The gummy bears world would be kind of a neat throw back as would a old town where it and the characters in it are black and white.
ZapNorris Ripto Gems: 5109
#115 Posted: 14:23:59 16/01/2013
I just hope we see gravity falls and Randy Cunningham!
Heirumaru2286 Gold Sparx Gems: 2285
#116 Posted: 15:54:59 16/01/2013
All I can say is this... "When in rome"...
---
..::TotallyAwezum::..
matrix Yellow Sparx Gems: 1441
#117 Posted: 16:20:15 16/01/2013
Oh my goodness, I really hate Disney, they are stealing the idea of Skylanders! It looks fun, but they can't run away from the truth!
---
I like Skylanders...
bionicle2809 Diamond Sparx Gems: 8438
#118 Posted: 16:40:44 16/01/2013
Quote: D-Rex
HOOOOLD UP

Am I reading this right?

Quote:
- only able to play characters within the levels based on their franchise

Seriously?

And thus, the flaw with this game. You won't be able to play co-op on any of the levels (besides the Sandbox thing) unless you buy extra characters or you have a friend who has the game too and you both play as the same character.

Also, the idea that (rather than being given a full game) you get 3 smaller games for your £70 and you can unlock more smaller games with a new character from a different franchise. At least with Skylanders you got a 8-10 hour long story.
FlowxEhtxEbirt Blue Sparx Gems: 817
#119 Posted: 17:01:30 16/01/2013
The game sounds worse, and worse by the day. Lol. :c
---
Do you even pose?
YOLOrenzo Yellow Sparx Gems: 1073
#120 Posted: 17:05:05 16/01/2013

You must not understand how huge Disney/Pixar/Marvel/Star Wars is. I think Skylanders will be fine as long as the formula continues to evolve, but if Toys for Bob/Activision dismisses Disney Infinity like how some of you around here are, then they are in big trouble.
#121 Posted: 17:10:03 16/01/2013
A fatal flaw.
snowman5373 Red Sparx Gems: 40
#122 Posted: 17:45:05 16/01/2013
The character packs are not random, it is the token packs that are random. It is in one of the videos in the link below.

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2013/01/disney-infinity/
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 17:46:00 16/01/2013 by snowman5373
Aquatic Llama Green Sparx Gems: 436
#123 Posted: 18:01:21 16/01/2013
The characters cost more. Besides Disney interactive sucks.
Uziumi Red Sparx Gems: 90
#124 Posted: 18:30:46 16/01/2013
All I see here are disney characters not based on the characters I grew up to know and like.
Well... I do see Jack Skellington, but that's the only one.
Needs more Mickey, Goofy, Donald, and the rest of that gang. Needs more Lion King, needs more Little Mermaid, who the hell cares about Cars? Where's Herbie? Herbie? Come on Disney. Jim Douglas isn't amused here.
#125 Posted: 18:35:57 16/01/2013
Quote: Uziumi
All I see here are disney characters not based on the characters I grew up to know and like.
Needs more Mickey, Goofy, Donald, and the rest of that gang. Needs more Lion King, needs more Little Mermaid, who the hell cares about Cars? Where's Herbie? Herbie? Come on Disney. Jim Douglas isn't amused here.

True, does seem odd why they'd leave out some iconic Disney characters. Maybe because they're already main characters in Kingdom Hearts?
LegoLander Yellow Sparx Gems: 1760
#126 Posted: 20:34:20 16/01/2013
It would be cool if Hasbro did this with Transformers... and they transformed on the base...
---
The person who finally changed his Christmas avatar. Give me a cookie.
#127 Posted: 20:35:10 16/01/2013
THEN NINTENDO JOINS IN ON THE FUN.

ALL VALUE HAS BEEN LOST.
Tashiji Yellow Sparx Gems: 1453
#128 Posted: 20:36:07 16/01/2013
This really looks like it's developed for a slightly younger audience than Skylanders. Maybe stealing the younger market is their first step, but I don't necessarily see this aiming for Skylanders shelf-space just yet.
#129 Posted: 20:50:25 16/01/2013
Quote: LegoLander
It would be cool if Hasbro did this with Transformers... and they transformed on the base...

If Hasbro ever used the toys/video game concept, it would be with MLP. Sorry to anyone who doesn't like MLP, but it would. Think of how much money MLP toys make as it is - now charge them at a higher price and along with a $60 game.

Profit.
wreckingballbob Emerald Sparx Gems: 4565
#130 Posted: 21:01:06 16/01/2013
I thought gameplay was great but then I saw the figures
---
#131 Posted: 21:03:06 16/01/2013
Quote: Tashiji
This really looks like it's developed for a slightly younger audience than Skylanders. Maybe stealing the younger market is their first step, but I don't necessarily see this aiming for Skylanders shelf-space just yet.

What is a slightly younger audience than Skylanders? Pre-school? Looks like E for everyone to me.
#132 Posted: 21:07:36 16/01/2013
Quote: bionicle2809

If Hasbro ever used the toys/video game concept, it would be with MLP. Sorry to anyone who doesn't like MLP, but it would. Think of how much money MLP toys make as it is - now charge them at a higher price and along with a $60 game.

Profit.

*deep breath*

yay.
spyroflame0487 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3866
#133 Posted: 21:14:02 16/01/2013
Seems that Activision is actually flattered over it.

"Speaking to Forbes, John Coyne, Vice President of Consumer Marketing at Activision, released the following statement:

"We are thrilled by the incredible success that the Skylanders franchise has had in such a short period of time. We are also flattered that one of the leading family entertainment companies is joining our toys to life category. We continue to focus on delivering innovative and immersive entertainment experiences to kids around the world and are pouring more creativity into our games. As a result we are well positioned to continue leading the category."
---
Why did Uncle Peter have an interdimentional portal in his attic?
Spyro's entire collection! [Updated June 28th 15]
#134 Posted: 21:17:32 16/01/2013
Quote: ZapNorris

Profit.

*deep breath*

yay.

Here I am, complaining about Infinity... Yet if it was Hasbro and MLP I'd buy it without a second though.

...Kind of proves that an existing brand helps. In fact, that's what got Skylanders selling - because Spyro was an existing brand.
D-Rex Blue Sparx Gems: 815
#135 Posted: 21:42:36 16/01/2013
Quote: Uziumi

True, does seem odd why they'd leave out some iconic Disney characters. Maybe because they're already main characters in Kingdom Hearts?

Most likely because those characters aren't relevant to today's audiences.
---
smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
Hakann Yellow Sparx Gems: 1238
#136 Posted: 21:49:23 16/01/2013
In my country recomended skylanders recomended age is from 4-8 years old how grown up can that be, besides activision clain that the skylanders audience is from 8-12 years old, calling iconic characters for younger audience is a insult i want to see little kids see pirates of caribeean with the nu de contain and woman with developed parts unlike skylanders that womans only have b***bs so people dont think they male like sprocket
---
Expect the unexpected
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 21:52:25 16/01/2013 by Hakann
Skylanders fan Emerald Sparx Gems: 3952
#137 Posted: 21:49:29 16/01/2013
I love the idea
---
Yep still around just not posting much anymore
Kevin16 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4524
#138 Posted: 21:55:03 16/01/2013
Guys... the toys to life thing started with U.B. Funkeys... stop saying that this is a ripoff...
---
what even is this site anymore lmao
#139 Posted: 22:05:42 16/01/2013
Quote: Kevin16
Guys... the toys to life thing started with U.B. Funkeys... stop saying that this is a ripoff...

We are aware that they exist, stop pointing it out. TBH, U.B. Funkeys are completely different than Skylanders, the only similarly they share is using a figure as a memory device.

Besides, no one is saying that it's a rip off of the "toys come to life" concept - it's the use of the technology in the same way. Skylanders was the first to use NFC tech in this way and the first to use the concept at all on console games (since U.B. Funkeys were just an online flash game type thing), that is what Disney have looked at and said "we can do that too!" not the "toys come to life" concept.
Oracle Ripto Gems: 351
#140 Posted: 23:22:27 16/01/2013
im not suprised by disney i still rember how sad i was when they bought club penguin
Tashiji Yellow Sparx Gems: 1453
#141 Posted: 02:43:35 17/01/2013
Quote: Hakann
In my country recomended skylanders recomended age is from 4-8 years old how grown up can that be, besides activision clain that the skylanders audience is from 8-12 years old, calling iconic characters for younger audience is a insult i want to see little kids see pirates of caribeean with the nu de contain and woman with developed parts unlike skylanders that womans only have b***bs so people dont think they male like sprocket

But this isn't the real, semi-gritty Jack Sparrow, and you won't be going to the real, nudie Tortuga either. I sincerely doubt there will even be rum in the game. He's been kiddified; it's the most vanilla version of Pirates I've ever seen, the same one they use in, yes, books developed with very young children in mind.

And yes, if Skylanders is developed for kids 8-12, Disney Infinity looks like it's for 5-8. Soft edges, bright colors, kiddified versions of familiar characters--it all adds up.
skyp1e Green Sparx Gems: 306
#142 Posted: 04:12:59 17/01/2013
The only sure thing about this is that if Disney Infinity is a success, then there will be more "toy inside game" titles from other companies racing to cash in in the years that follow.

I think that the collectable figure within a game concept has finally caught on and if that is so I am very happy. My family loves having toys that virtually interact with each other on our console.

Can you say "Warhammer", "Mage Knight", "Dungeons and Dragons" and "Space Hulk?"

How about "Hannah Barbara", "Warner Brothers" and "Cartoon Network?"

Perhaps "LEGO" and "Playmobil"

Movies like "Mars Attacks", "Aliens", "Predator", "Conan", "Terminator", "Robocop", "Avatar", "James Bond", "Harry Potter" and the "Wizard of Oz" just might show up as games with toy counterparts to them.

and my favorite of them all ORIGINAL UNLICENSED IDEAS.

Science Fiction (with lots of robots), Horror with tons of bloody monsters and Crazy cartoonish silliness will eventually be a common reality for new games in the coming years.

Costly? Yeah, it sure will be, but oh well that's how it goes.
---
Mine Portalmaster #788111 smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie
Son's smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie
Daughter's smilie smilie smiliex2 smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie
#143 Posted: 05:07:57 17/01/2013
Quote: skyp1e
The only sure thing about this is that if Disney Infinity is a success, then there will be more "toy inside game" titles from other companies racing to cash in in the years that follow.

I think that the collectable figure within a game concept has finally caught on and if that is so I am very happy. My family loves having toys that virtually interact with each other on our console.

I agree. Game makers/publishers are always looking for ways to monetize their games past launch and one way they've done it is to release downloadable content.

I see these Skylanders figures as downloadable content with the added incentive of an awesome, high quality figurine that interacts with the game. I've probably already spent more on Skylanders than I have on all DLC ever released!

For example: I've had Street Fighter X Tekken since launch. I play it quite a bit, but I still haven't spent the $20 to get the additional 12 characters. Now if they released a retail pack that contained 12 mini figurines or one awesome Ryu/Kazuya figure for $25-$30, I would have purchased it at launch.
zookinator Platinum Sparx Gems: 5694
#144 Posted: 13:45:17 17/01/2013
You know what the worst thing is? You can't use any character you want in the levels. I am not talking about Toybox, but the actual levels that come with the game.
---
Skylanders Colosseum Clash
A Fanmade Skylanders Boardgame
X-Treme Ripto Gems: 360
#145 Posted: 14:08:06 17/01/2013
yeah, not buying.
Dark Gyro Blue Sparx Gems: 656
#146 Posted: 13:28:32 18/01/2013
It all comes down to gameplay. Skylanders, at it's heart, is a fantastic game. In addition, the characters are varied and have amazing differing abilities.

Nothing from the footage makes it look like any of the characters will actually have any different gameplay features than the others.

Also, as a huge Disney fan, their platform gaming titles have left a lot to be desired. Disney Universe was fantastic, but completely lacked substance in the level designs and was based around selling additional content rather than actually coming out with a complete game in the first place. Disneyland Kinect sucked out loud.

If they can't deliver a good game (which I honestly doubt they will), then it doesn't matter what the gimmick is.
#147 Posted: 17:39:25 18/01/2013
Quote: Dark Gyro
Nothing from the footage makes it look like any of the characters will actually have any different gameplay features than the others.

"Each character comes with his or her own unique set of powers. Dash, for example, can sprint at blurring speeds and execute a lightning fast combo attack. Elastigirl can whip an elongated arm at objects and characters to pull herself closer to them. Mr. Incredible can perform earth-shattering ground pound attacks.

Characters can swap out their access to specific powers to use some of the game's toys and equipment. Anyone can equip Buzz Lightyear's winged backpack, for example, or wield common items like a gun that changes the size of players and objects. An inventory wheel in the bottom right corner of the screen shows what players have access to in Toy Box mode, from the world-editing Magic Wand to Carl Fredricksen's cane from Up to a gun that rapid fires rolls of toilet paper."

Source: http://www.polygon.com/2013/1/...park-of-our-own

Quote: zookinator
You know what the worst thing is? You can't use any character you want in the levels. I am not talking about Toybox, but the actual levels that come with the game.

As cool as it would be to use any character in any specific playlet, it just isn't how the game is designed. This might actually be beneficial to the gameplay as levels could be crafted specifically for the character ability sets. Monster's University levels will focus around the scare abilities and Incredibles playsets would focus on using the superhero abilities to progress, etc.

And don't dismiss Toy Box mode as some throwaway. The gameplay possibilities are endless and downloadable levels could extend the life of the game for years.
#148 Posted: 21:38:26 18/01/2013
http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2...nfinity-wave-1/

This covers a lot of topics such as:

• Why characters can only be used in their respective playsets (lots of franchises and film groups, can't guarantee forward compatibility and studios may not be on board if franchises are mixed)
  • Playset size and level/mission structure (Incredibles looks huge! GTA-like missions)
  • Figures, pricing, packs, etc.
nitendofan92 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4572
#149 Posted: 21:43:03 18/01/2013
Quote: Heymybigfish
no. but it'll still do well.

i'm glad for this. if skylanders has no direct competition (like now) the games will just get more and more crappy.

^this
---
THE END IS NEAR
First | Previous | Page 3 of 6 | Next | Last
1 2 3 4 5 6

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me