Forum

Skylanders: Lost Islands

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
Page 1 of 1
Land or Buildings which is more important? [CLOSED]
Fiend28 Green Sparx Gems: 251
#1 Posted: 15:49:18 07/12/2012 | Topic Creator
When you get around the 50,000 to 60,000 range in money is it better to open up a new island or build one of those big house like the one that is 60,000

I am at that point now where I can either open up a 4th island or build a house to add to my population so I can get more civil buildings.

I'm leaning towards the island since it will unlock another temple and give me more real estate to work with
gamecocksc17 Blue Sparx Gems: 792
#2 Posted: 16:38:03 07/12/2012
well islands go up in price as you unlock. so that 4th island is going to be 150,000 in coin.
---
Turrible, just turrible - Sir Charles Barkley
#3 Posted: 18:41:56 07/12/2012 | Topic Creator
Wow did not realize that islands went up in price, guess I need to build up my buildings before buying another island.
gamecocksc17 Blue Sparx Gems: 792
#4 Posted: 19:55:59 07/12/2012
yeah i'm about to be level 15 and have not bought my 4th island. i also have not put any money into the game.
---
Turrible, just turrible - Sir Charles Barkley
Peridot Weapon Blue Sparx Gems: 947
#5 Posted: 21:55:26 07/12/2012
Honestly, I feel islands are the most important, just to have the extra space for building - and as long as you can afford the energy cost, the Temples are a convenient source of income that doesn't require going on an adventure.

The 60,000 Manor is completely worthless (other than having one for quest purposes), as long as you have the building space for two 30,000 Large Wood Houses instead. For the same price, you'll get 5 extra Mabu and 260 XP every 4 hours (compared to 160 XP every 5).

The 120,000 Great Manor is even MORE useless - again, as long as you have building space for a quartet of Large Wood Houses to give you 120 Mabu and 520 XP/4 hours (compared to 100 Mabu and 180 XP/6 hours).

When unlocking islands, make sure you concentrate on the West, East and North islands early on. Those have the most "surface area" and are more useful to expansion than any of the four corner islands.
Zing Blue Sparx Gems: 616
#6 Posted: 01:54:07 08/12/2012
The advantage of the Manor over the Large Wood House is that you must check the game frequently to take advantage of the House. Once you reach a certain point in the game, you won't want, or need, to check the game that frequently. Ultimately, the Manor becomes more efficient!

I have five islands unlocked, Kingdom level 19, and I am finding that I only need to check the game twice a day. I check it at bedtime around midnight, plant some crops, send people on 7-hour adventures, and ensure all shrines are active. I then check once or twice during the day. Honestly, at this point, experience is virtually meaningless. I'd be tempted to sell off everything but my Manors at this point, but I wouldn't have anything to do with the money I get from selling, other than build more Manors I suppose.

260 extra XP is laughable at this point. I get more than that just from shearing sheep once a day.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 01:55:27 08/12/2012 by Zing
#7 Posted: 02:07:24 08/12/2012 | Topic Creator
Does it mess with your population count if you sell off old houses. I still have every hut on the original island because I feared screwing up my population count. I am level 17 have three islands unlocked and working towards building an apothecary. I like the manors because I feel they are more appealing to look at than he large wood house with even though it is only 3x3 they just look like they take up too much space.
Peridot Weapon Blue Sparx Gems: 947
#8 Posted: 05:10:55 08/12/2012
Quote: Zing
Ultimately, the Manor becomes more efficient!

The Manor is NEVER more efficient, though, except in saving space. I agree the XP is relatively unimportant - but in the end, you're spending 60,000 to get 55 Mobi with a Manor, as opposed to spending 60,000 to get 60 Mobi with two Large Wood Houses.

Unless you're pressed for space, why spend MORE to get LESS?

=====

Quote: Fiend28
Does it mess with your population count if you sell off old houses. I still have every hut on the original island because I feared screwing up my population count. I am level 17 have three islands unlocked and working towards building an apothecary. I like the manors because I feel they are more appealing to look at than he large wood house with even though it is only 3x3 they just look like they take up too much space.

When you sell off a building, you naturally lose the Mobi that were in them before.

That said, if you still have regular Huts on the original island, I'd suggest selling them off and replacing them with Large Wood Houses - they're the best 2x2 Building (taking up the same space as a Hut) and house eight Mobi - a net gain of +7 Mobi per hut.

My entire North Island is all Large Wood Houses. It's not the most efficient building in terms of housing Mobi, but it cost me 390,000 Gold to fully assemble, gave me +416 Mobi, and most importantly gives me 4,160 XP every time I log in to check on the islands. [Compare that to three Great Manors: 360,000 Gold, +300 Mobi, +540 XP!]

The side effects, of course, is that it takes up the WHOLE ISLAND, and I have to click an insane amount of times to fully get the benefits. smilie

As you get higher in levels, the Community Buildings become less valuable, too. Consider the Apothecary - it gives you 1,750 XP every nine hours. Then you have the Farmer's Market - it only gives you a slightly increased 1,980 XP every TWELVE hours, and it takes FOUR HUNDRED MABU to build.

That's why Community Buildings are limited in the number of them you can build based off of level, and they all have a maximum limit that can be constructed. Otherwise, if you were playing "by the numbers," you'd never build anything other than Blacksmiths (except for quests). Blacksmiths are far and away the best Community Building in terms of Mobi cost, space used, and XP gain. Pity you can only ever have four of them!

I'm a "math player," though, and at the end of the day if you play completely by math you'll lose some of the fun of the game. Taken to extremes, you won't put things like Chompie Snowmen on your islands because "they don't DO anything, so they're a waste of space."

And what fun is that, really?
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me