Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
First | Page 2 of 3 | Last
1 2 3
Why all the hate for " scalpers " ... [CLOSED]
czs716 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1440
#51 Posted: 15:12:55 23/10/2012
Selling a house and selling a toy are two totally different things. Why do you keep making horrible comparisons?

And I went to Walmart at midnight for the release. There were four others there besides me. Only two people bought Giants. One bought all three and the other bought EVERY LAST ONE that was out which was about 35 or so. My Walmart got a lot. Only four people knew he bought all the stock. So you're gonna tell me that they tried to set a limit so they didn't lose customers? If they sell out, they sell out whether by 30 people buying 1-2 giant a piece or the scalper buying them all. Anyone who goes in after that will not know the difference.
---
Available for trade: NIB Walmart Exclusive Drill Sergeant (Not Red), NIB Granite Crusher. PM if interested.
UncleBob Ripto Gems: 4565
#52 Posted: 15:21:43 23/10/2012 | Topic Creator
Quote: czs716
Selling a house and selling a toy are two totally different things. Why do you keep making horrible comparisons?

You're right - because people actually NEED places to live. Therefore, if you sell a house over cost, you're a horrible, disgusting piece of trash, right?

Quote:
And I went to Walmart at midnight for the release. There were four others there besides me. Only two people bought Giants. One bought all three and the other bought EVERY LAST ONE that was out which was about 35 or so. My Walmart got a lot. Only four people knew he bought all the stock. So you're gonna tell me that they tried to set a limit so they didn't lose customers? If they sell out, they sell out whether by 30 people buying 1-2 giant a piece or the scalper buying them all. Anyone who goes in after that will not know the difference.

I don't know about you, but if I go into a store and luck into finding something there, I'm inclined to check back there more often. It's why I went to the TRU to the east of me at launch instead of the TRU to the west of me.

You're correct - if the shelves are empty, then those who come in later don't know if it was some "greedy piece of trash scalper" or some wee lil' kiddies. Or if the store even got anything in to begin with.

Yet so many folks on here are ready to blame the empty shelves and their lack of ability to find a particular figure on the "scalpers" instead of the kids or the lack of stock. Or their individual inability to make the extra effort to find the figure in the first place.
LordsOfSkulls Green Sparx Gems: 219
#53 Posted: 15:25:23 23/10/2012

Two Different Things, House sells base on price of houses sold in the area, no one will buy over priced house, their alot of empty houses now due to economics so u can be very picky with ur choice. =p

Buying a toy than reselling it for x3 times the amount just makes me giggle. lol cause it funny watching ebay, alot people failing to sell it for that much.... i saw Granite Crusher go this moring for same price as it goes in store + $5 shipping. it same with other items, hardly anything sells expect for stuff like "Flashwing" ;p
---
The Mind Is The Slayer Of Reality - LoS
#54 Posted: 15:32:44 23/10/2012 | Topic Creator
If I had to guess, the reason you're seeing lackluster prices on eBay is similar to what we're discussing in the "Some thoughts about the "excess" quantities of Giants figures..." thread.

There wasn't much of a market for reselling Skylanders when the game first came out. I remember seeing the silver figures sell on eBay for $60 each (thought that was too much for 'em).

It wasn't until the rush hit that the reseller market went crazy.

It's the same thing here - the game is still new and parent's aren't going crazy trying to buy everything yet. Of course, it all depends on Activision's ability to restock (and store's desires to reorder) if we'll see a glut later on with reseller prices going up.
LordsOfSkulls Green Sparx Gems: 219
#55 Posted: 15:57:59 23/10/2012
;3 they raided my ToysRUs Wave 2 Doesnt exist expect for few single packs left xD
---
The Mind Is The Slayer Of Reality - LoS
#56 Posted: 15:58:05 23/10/2012
Quote: UncleBob

Yet so many folks on here are ready to blame the empty shelves and their lack of ability to find a particular figure on the "scalpers" instead of the kids or the lack of stock. Or their individual inability to make the extra effort to find the figure in the first place.

I blame them because I witnessed it. I'm glad he knew nothing of the Target variants. I was able to get myself and my nephew a granite crusher. smilie And as I said before, I wouldn't know if it would've been a scalper or some kids, but I know for a fact what happened at my Walmart. And others have reported witnessing the same thing at theirs.
---
Available for trade: NIB Walmart Exclusive Drill Sergeant (Not Red), NIB Granite Crusher. PM if interested.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 15:59:27 23/10/2012 by czs716
#57 Posted: 16:03:54 23/10/2012 | Topic Creator
Do you know for sure he was reselling them?

Can you be certain he doesn't have a big (extended?) family?

Maybe he just wants to roll around in a pile of Skylanders.
#58 Posted: 16:05:32 23/10/2012
Do you know for sure he was reselling them?

Can you be certain he doesn't have a big (extended?) family?

Maybe he just wants to roll around in a pile of Skylanders.

$650 worth of Giants.
---
#59 Posted: 16:11:52 23/10/2012 | Topic Creator
And? I easily spent $570 (before taxes and sale prices) on Giants - Day One.

I'm betting GameMaster 78 spent a bit more than that... and he has a clear reputation for not being a "scalper".

*and* something else to consider - perhaps he's getting in early knowing that he'll be able to trade figures off for ones he might need later.

So, again, how do you "know for a fact" what happened at your Walmart?
#60 Posted: 16:17:27 23/10/2012

I'm betting GameMaster 78 spent a bit more than that... and he has a clear reputation for not being a "scalper".

*and* something else to consider - perhaps he's getting in early knowing that he'll be able to trade figures off for ones he might need later.

No, I mean all he actually bought we're the three GIANTS: Bouncer, Crusher, and Swarm. No Starter packs, no triple packs, and no singles. Only GIANTS.

I know for a fact what I saw. When they'd go back for more boxes, he would grab the GIANTS only when they were brought out. Nothing else.
---
#61 Posted: 16:20:22 23/10/2012 | Topic Creator
I know you saw a guy buying a bunch of figures. You've yet to explain how you know for a fact he's a "scalper".
#62 Posted: 16:23:00 23/10/2012
I know you saw a guy buying a bunch of figures. You've yet to explain how you know for a fact he's a "scalper".

Wow. You are beyond explaining to.

So what was the point of this thread? I can't figure out if you're just trying justify something here...
---
#63 Posted: 16:25:30 23/10/2012 | Topic Creator
I'm open to hear your reasoning as to how you can prove this guy is a "scalper".

You've yet to offer any support aside from "Durr hurr... he bought a lot of figures." and have not commented on any alternative theories as to what he might be doing with those extra figures.

Personally, if I was a scalper, I wouldn't load up on the giants - I would have went with the exclusive starter packs. Those are what's going to be going for some money on eBay in a month or two.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 16:26:07 23/10/2012 by UncleBob
#64 Posted: 16:30:24 23/10/2012
I'm open to hear your reasoning as to how you can prove this guy is a "scalper".

You've yet to offer any support aside from "Durr hurr... he bought a lot of figures." and have not commented on any alternative theories as to what he might be doing with those extra figures.

Personally, if I was a scalper, I wouldn't load up on the giants - I would have went with the exclusive starter packs. Those are what's going to be going for some money on eBay in a month or two.

If you were a scalper... You know more than the average person as do I. Not everyone who buys these will know what to get. Some only know "Skylanders" sold well and some went for a lot of money last year.

And all you've done is compare selling a you to selling a house, along with some other horrible comparisons.

Once again, I know resellers and scalpers. I see them on a daily basis with video games.
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 16:32:29 23/10/2012 by czs716
#65 Posted: 16:33:07 23/10/2012 | Topic Creator
I've compared an owner of private property selling it to an owner of private property selling it. Yes, you're right.

But I'm still waiting to hear how you know for a fact that this guy is a "scalper"...
#66 Posted: 16:37:00 23/10/2012
I've compared an owner of private property selling it to an owner of private property selling it. Yes, you're right.

But I'm still waiting to hear how you know for a fact that this guy is a "scalper"...

You're making general comparisons. When you do the specific comparison, it is two completely different things.
---
#67 Posted: 16:39:53 23/10/2012 | Topic Creator
And, as I said, you're right. One situation involves selling private property that one realistically *needs* (shelter) and the other involves selling private property that is superfluous at best (tiny plastic video game toys).

So, who's the greater evil - the guy charging extra for a necessity or the guy charging extra for plastic toys?
#68 Posted: 16:41:59 23/10/2012
Just curious, have you sold a house before?
---
#69 Posted: 16:43:37 23/10/2012 | Topic Creator
Nope.
#70 Posted: 16:45:10 23/10/2012
So you think that anyone can just sell a house for whatever price they want?
---
#71 Posted: 16:51:01 23/10/2012 | Topic Creator
Nope.

Likewise, I don't think a "scalper" can sell a Skylanders figure for whatever price they want.
#72 Posted: 17:00:25 23/10/2012
Nope.

Likewise, I don't think a "scalper" can sell a Skylanders figure for whatever price they want.

Too many factors affect the price of a house to compare it to a toy.
---
#73 Posted: 17:05:03 23/10/2012 | Topic Creator
When you consider the scale, they're probably effected by a similar amount of factors... most importantly - two. Supply and Demand.

And I'm still waiting to know how you know for a fact that guy was a "scalper"...
#74 Posted: 17:12:23 23/10/2012
When you consider the scale, they're probably effected by a similar amount of factors... most importantly - two. Supply and Demand.

And I'm still waiting to know how you know for a fact that guy was a "scalper"...

You obviously do not know much about the process of selling a house.

And no matter what I tell you, it's gonna be "oh you don't know for a fact...". I deal with scalpers and resellers all the time with video games. I see their tendencies and buying habits. It's not hard to see what they are doing. I don't know what you are trying to defend.
---
#75 Posted: 17:15:42 23/10/2012 | Topic Creator
I know enough, as I've purchased a house. smilie

As for the second half - I mean, if you're just going to give up like that and admit that you can't provide any proof, that's fine and all.
#76 Posted: 17:25:47 23/10/2012
I know enough, as I've purchased a house. smilie

As for the second half - I mean, if you're just going to give up like that and admit that you can't provide any proof, that's fine and all.

No you're right. He ran to the counter to be first in line, then with the first box of Giants, the woman asks if he knew what he wanted he said no and then said he coupd share with others and procesds to grab all they have without giving anyone else a chance. Anyone who buys all the stock of GIANTS only, no starter, singles, or three packs, and doesn't look at them past the fact they are GIANTS and throws them in the cart, blindly grabs them up whenever they are put out and then stands around and waits for more to be put out. Gets agitated at the fact they wheel the display behid the counter an only leaves when he realizes he can't get anymore. Yeah, definitely not a scalper.

But nothing I say will convince you otherwise anyway.
---
Zook Yellow Sparx Gems: 1905
#77 Posted: 17:26:31 23/10/2012

No, I mean all he actually bought we're the three GIANTS: Bouncer, Crusher, and Swarm. No Starter packs, no triple packs, and no singles. Only GIANTS.

I know for a fact what I saw. When they'd go back for more boxes, he would grab the GIANTS only when they were brought out. Nothing else.

Who cares if he bought all three Giants. You can find them any place!
#78 Posted: 17:29:42 23/10/2012
@Zook

Not the point. He bought ALL they had of the three. Not sure if that's what you were asking. Just to clarify.

And Im SO glad they are everywhere because this guy isn't gonna make any money now.
---
#79 Posted: 17:40:56 23/10/2012 | Topic Creator
No you're right.

I know.
#80 Posted: 17:43:04 23/10/2012
No you're right.

I know.

Problem is, you can't prove he's not. Which means we are in the same boat here. Only I have a paddle as I witnessed it.

Preponderance of the evidence.
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 17:45:02 23/10/2012 by czs716
#81 Posted: 17:45:52 23/10/2012 | Topic Creator
Not really. I don't know if he is or isn't a "scalper" - but either way, I'm not attacking him.

You don't know if he is or isn't a "scalper", but you are denigrating him anyway.

You're in a sinking boat while I'm laying out on the beach catching some rays.
gamecocksc17 Blue Sparx Gems: 792
#82 Posted: 17:46:50 23/10/2012
No you're right.

I know.

very nice. you must be a politician my good man.
---
Turrible, just turrible - Sir Charles Barkley
#83 Posted: 18:02:15 23/10/2012
What is my "sinking boat"?

And like I said preponderance of the evidence.
---
#84 Posted: 18:12:21 23/10/2012 | Topic Creator
You're the one who started this "boat" analogy - you tell me.

Just because you walk into a room, find a body and a guy holding a knife covered in blood, it doesn't mean he killed the body.

Your evidence is nothing more than "Hurr Durr... he bought a lot of figures."
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 18:12:56 23/10/2012 by UncleBob
pakman916 Green Sparx Gems: 309
#85 Posted: 18:17:44 23/10/2012
Capitalism. If you don't like it, move to China.

I'm not saying scalpers are not annoying, but I see nothing wrong with it.

czs716, you are not making much of an argument other than scalper=bad. You've said nothing to support your claim other than witnessing people buying all the Giants in one fell swoop. Not a crime. If I went into a grocery store and bought all the Bread, it does not make me a scalper.

I'll tell you a story. I used to live in the Seattle area back in 2006-2007. That winter, we had a really bad wind storm that knocked out the power EVERYWHERE. It was so bad, people couldn't get gas because the pumps would not work. So what did people do? Some guys went to areas that still had power, bought a few dozen gas cans and filled them with gas. Then they went into the center of the worst hit areas and sold 1 gallon of gas for $25. If you didn't fill up your car before the storm hit, you were stuck. Your only choice is to a) hunker down or b) pay the inflated amount and get somewhere to buy more gas.

Does it suck? Yes... Is it wrong? No. Why? Because if there was no opportunity to make a profit, who would drive 45 minutes out of the city to get gas for people stuck in the city? In other words, no profit, no gas period. The option would not have been available.

In the same way, these "scalpers". They serve a purpose. Because a scalper only exist because of the opportunity to make profit. But in order for them to profit, there has to be a buyer. Somebody, somewhere, in the middle of North Dakota is wishing they had a Toys R Us or Target near by so they can buy little Johnny and Suzy their much loved sequel to their favorite video game of all time. To these folks, the scalper is a god send. It's just the whiny entitled people that gets all bent out of shape when someone grabs all 10 Exclusive Granite Crushers off the shelf and flips them on eBay.

One last thing I want to point out. All of the exclusives last year were available in great supply months after Skylanders craze died out. Even the Frito Lay Flocked Stump Smash could be had FOR FREE if you called the toll free number. So although little Bobby couldn't get Legendary Chop Chop in December because of some scalper, they had 2 other opportunities to get a hold of one. Toys R Us was overflowing with Legendaries and Blue Bash. Walmart was overflowing with Red Drill Sergeant. The only ones that were near impossible to find were the ultra rare Gold/Silver/Crystal/GITD....which NOBODY could find easily. And considering we had to wait a really long time for the last wave of Skylanders to be released, it was worth the wait.

Hate all you want...but this behavior is not going away...especially not in this country. It's the land of opportunity. Nothing is more American than finding ways to make money. (legally that is)
#86 Posted: 18:20:51 23/10/2012
You're the one who started this "boat" analogy - you tell me.

Just because you walk into a room, find a body and a guy holding a knife covered in blood, it doesn't mean he killed the body.

Your evidence is nothing more than "Hurr Durr... he bought a lot of figures."

You make the worst comparisons.
---
#87 Posted: 18:21:53 23/10/2012 | Topic Creator
You provide the worst evidence.
#88 Posted: 18:24:38 23/10/2012
@pakman
I never said it was a crime. The thread is titled "why all the hate for scalpers" so I gave the reasons.

And stores get bread all the time. Last time I checked, if bread sells out, they order more no problem.
---
#89 Posted: 18:25:43 23/10/2012
You provide the worst evidence.

Wow. What evidence would you expect then? I provided plenty enough evidence to prove that it is more likely than not.

You guys make it seem like you are trying to justify it.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 18:27:00 23/10/2012 by czs716
#90 Posted: 18:32:50 23/10/2012 | Topic Creator
I'm not trying to justify it. I'm merely trying to understand why the "hate".

I don't care about a "scalper". They don't effect my lifestyle one bit. In the end, I get it, I wait for it, or I don't get it. Meanwhile, life goes on.

This hate - this pure venom that so many on here spew out... it just confuses me and I don't understand it.

If you're mad because they're making the figures harder to get - that's faulty reasoning. They're reselling the figures to people who want them - people who would just buy them off the shelf anyway.

If you're mad because they're using the high demand and low supply to make a profit - well, that's no difference than Toys R Us or Activision. In fact, I'd say Activision is *worse* (not that I consider them bad anyway) because If you want the figures, you can always choose to not buy your figures from a "scalper" and wait. Eventually, you have to buy the figure from Activision at their inflated price.
#91 Posted: 18:47:17 23/10/2012
They take advantage of people plain and simple.

I collect retro games, mainly PS1. I go to Goodwill, yard sales, etc. and have found 90% of my collection that way. I've found some pretty rare games as well for 2.99 and around those prices.

However, you also have these scalpers who will go in, buy the games and resell them for outrageous prices. I'd say video games are the number one thing that gets overpriced. They charge their high prices, the games don't sell, and then they still don't come down on the price.

And these aren't games you can go to the store and get. It's either find them in the wild cheap or pay the outrageous prices for them. They take them away from the collectors/players to make a profit.

Scalpers hold no value to a product besides the profit.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 18:49:23 23/10/2012 by czs716
deantjeep Green Sparx Gems: 403
#92 Posted: 19:22:32 23/10/2012
http://answers.usa.gov/system/selfservice.controller?

Price Gouging

Price gouging occurs when a business charges more for goods or services than the regular selling price. Some businesses may practice price gouging during times of emergency, such as natural disasters.

It is unlawful during a state of emergency to sell, lease, offer to sell, or offer for lease commodities, dwelling units, or self-storage facilities for an amount that grossly exceeds the average price for the commodity the 30 days before the declaration of a state of emergency, unless the seller can justify the increases in prices. Examples of necessary commodities are food, ice, gas, oil, and lumber.

State laws that target price gouging may vary from state to state. States that do not specifically target price gouging may prosecute offenders under other trade practice laws. If you wish to report price gouging in your area or for more information about your state's price gouging laws, please contact your state attorney general.
#93 Posted: 20:03:21 23/10/2012
@pakman
I never said it was a crime. The thread is titled "why all the hate for scalpers" so I gave the reasons.

And stores get bread all the time. Last time I checked, if bread sells out, they order more no problem.

You keep saying this. As if the store can't order more. Like I said, at no point during the Series 1 were people NOT able to get any of the limited/exclusives. The only ones that were impossible to get were the Gold/Silver/Crystal/GITD. So what's your point?
#94 Posted: 20:12:35 23/10/2012
Quote: deantjeep
http://answers.usa.gov/system/selfservice.controller?

Price Gouging

Price gouging occurs when a business charges more for goods or services than the regular selling price. Some businesses may practice price gouging during times of emergency, such as natural disasters.

It is unlawful during a state of emergency to sell, lease, offer to sell, or offer for lease commodities, dwelling units, or self-storage facilities for an amount that grossly exceeds the average price for the commodity the 30 days before the declaration of a state of emergency, unless the seller can justify the increases in prices. Examples of necessary commodities are food, ice, gas, oil, and lumber.

State laws that target price gouging may vary from state to state. States that do not specifically target price gouging may prosecute offenders under other trade practice laws. If you wish to report price gouging in your area or for more information about your state's price gouging laws, please contact your state attorney general.

And your point is? Skylanders is not food, ice, gas oil or lumber. Also, the "scalper" may not own a business.
#95 Posted: 20:16:34 23/10/2012
@czs716 Where did you get the GITD Warnado in your sig? Find it at the store?
#96 Posted: 20:20:17 23/10/2012
Quote: pakman916
@czs716 Where did you get the GITD Warnado in your sig? Find it at the store?

Found it at Walmart on a day they restocked in June of this year I think. LONG after release. I don't remember when Warnado came out?
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 20:23:12 23/10/2012 by czs716
Skybagel Gold Sparx Gems: 2092
#97 Posted: 20:46:41 23/10/2012
Why are you trying so hard to justify these scalpers...

It really makes me laugh.

Anyways, my point valid because you support them because you've never had to deal with them. Sure, you put in the "work" but in order to get figures, everyone needs to so it? That is unessacary. You should be ashamed of yourself for defending these fools and it makes me think you are one yourself. Nobody agrees with you, and your "points" just make me wanna cry. Close this topic. Nobody agrees with you.
---
Whoop whoop! Yellow Sparx on the day of Swap Force's release!
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 20:47:20 23/10/2012 by Skybagel
Skybagel Gold Sparx Gems: 2092
#98 Posted: 20:53:55 23/10/2012
Also, your "everyone gets the toys either way thing" is pointless. Sure, the same amount of stock goes to the same amount of kids but the kids must pay MORE. It's not hurting or helping Activision either way, but it more or less does hurt them a little bit because you are increasing the demand. Good going smarts, you just put more pressure on Activision.
---
Whoop whoop! Yellow Sparx on the day of Swap Force's release!
gamecocksc17 Blue Sparx Gems: 792
#99 Posted: 21:42:08 23/10/2012
let it go people.....let it go. skylanders is supposed to be fun and full of enjoyment. scalpers exist. they can. it sucks they sell stuff that high. they do it b/c people will pay for it. turn on your game system and play skylanders and have fun getting away for a few minutes
---
Turrible, just turrible - Sir Charles Barkley
#100 Posted: 21:53:40 23/10/2012
Quote: gamecocksc17
let it go people.....let it go. skylanders is supposed to be fun and full of enjoyment. scalpers exist. they can. it sucks they sell stuff that high. they do it b/c people will pay for it. turn on your game system and play skylanders and have fun getting away for a few minutes

Preach it! haha.
First | Page 2 of 3 | Last
1 2 3

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me