Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
Page 1 of 1
Why do people spend so much on figures? [CLOSED]
czs716 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1440
#1 Posted: 02:07:56 24/08/2012 | Topic Creator
And I'm not talking about a $30 Wham Shell or anything like that. I'm talking about those expensive variants. Why do people pay $100 to $300 for a single figure? I wouldn't spend more than say $40 on ANY variant. No matter how rare it is. What compels people to spend that much money? I can think of far greater things that much money could be spent on than a little plastic figure. Not knocking anyone, it just truly fascinates me what people will spen on things.
---
Available for trade: NIB Walmart Exclusive Drill Sergeant (Not Red), NIB Granite Crusher. PM if interested.
Reaganag Blue Sparx Gems: 878
#2 Posted: 02:10:45 24/08/2012
So they can have all the skylanders I guess? I bet you could ask GM78 about why he wants to spend thousands.
---
Awesome avatar by nintendofan92!
Have waves 1,2,3, and 4
Nibelilt Ripto Gems: 401
#3 Posted: 03:57:09 24/08/2012
I stopped doing that a long time ago. Last one I paid like that for was the ChromE3Spyro. Thing about these variants is that they're made in VERY limited numbers compared to other figures and most don't appear in stores.
chaosworrier Yellow Sparx Gems: 1555
#4 Posted: 04:23:36 24/08/2012
Why do some people spend $100+K on a piece of metal with four wheels that depreciates as soon as you buy it?

Horses for courses, really...
---
Soylent Green is People!
Definitive Doom Spreadsheet...of Doom: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7oq1...ers%20List.xlsm
Dunkin Yellow Sparx Gems: 1066
#5 Posted: 02:51:20 25/08/2012
Most collectors don't care about the money, its the product they want.

I'm a collector (Course I've been tempted by a few variants) but haven't spent more than 35 on one figure. I've spent hundreds on other things so I know far well why. But its a hard thing to explain.
---
I <3 all Spyro games!smilie
juz Green Sparx Gems: 370
#6 Posted: 04:04:33 25/08/2012
acquisition is rewarded by a little fix of dopamine in your brain...
---
smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
ZapNorris Ripto Gems: 5109
#7 Posted: 04:05:55 25/08/2012
Because activision wants your money. Nuf said.
Reaganag Blue Sparx Gems: 878
#8 Posted: 16:04:43 25/08/2012
^ THIS
---
Awesome avatar by nintendofan92!
Have waves 1,2,3, and 4
dragonmk Blue Sparx Gems: 761
#9 Posted: 16:38:48 25/08/2012
Quote: ZapNorris

but Activision isn't getting any of the money they are being sold by a third party for the special ones and were given away for free
---
I havent updated since I don't particularly care but I have gotten all the skylanders except varients only ones are glow Warnado and WERDS
#10 Posted: 00:26:26 26/08/2012
Quote: dragonmk

but Activision isn't getting any of the money they are being sold by a third party for the special ones and were given away for free

^THIS. Exactly...Activision isn't profiting out of the insane variant sales that go on, but a third party, so that isn't the reason at all.
The reason can be easily explained and that would be because THEY CAN.
People spend 1,000s on these figures cus they can, and want too. There's really nothing much else to say besides that. If they want to, then let them. I personally wouldn't spend that on a figure (I'm a serious collector myself) but I've got different far more better things to spend hundreds on than a skylander figure, but hey if someone else wants too, I say go for it. Its essentially their money to waste.

And like I stated prior, usually cost isn't an object in most of these cases, its the prize; That rare figure. Nuff said.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 00:28:17 26/08/2012 by Dunkin
torus555 Green Sparx Gems: 171
#11 Posted: 00:34:41 26/08/2012
Quote: Dunkin
Quote: dragonmk

^THIS. Exactly...Activision isn't profiting out of the insane variant sales that go on, but a third party, so that isn't the reason at all.
The reason can be easily explained and that would be because THEY CAN.
People spend 1,000s on these figures cus they can, and want too. There's really nothing much else to say besides that. If they want to, then let them. I personally wouldn't spend that on a figure (I'm a serious collector myself) but I've got different far more better things to spend hundreds on than a skylander figure, but hey if someone else wants too, I say go for it. Its essentially their money to waste.

And like I stated prior, usually cost isn't an object in most of these cases, its the prize; That rare figure. Nuff said.

agreed!!!

that shot of getting a rare can sometimes take over you till you have it
---
Polistes1 buzz buzz a diddle it
http://www.flickr.com/photos/53503951@N02/
Only need wham shell and legendaries
#12 Posted: 00:50:09 26/08/2012
Haha yes that is completely true smilie I've been tempted by them many'a time myself, I just haven't given in...yet. smilie
---
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me