Page 1 of 1
Lets Design Skylanders Online [CLOSED]
xerokills Yellow Sparx Gems: 1181
#1 Posted: 15:02:48 26/07/2012 | Topic Creator
So, another topic was discussing how Skylanders needs an online component. So I thought we could all discuss here in a roundtable sort of fashion how to create for them what WE as a collective want in an online game. So let me start the discussion with this.

My personal wants:

Multiplayer game that allows you to customize your character with 100's of hats and possibly new gear that you earn through battles.

Multiplayer co-op mode that lets you play with up to 4 players (with enemies scaling in difficulty) the more players you have playing...in a story mode format.

A 1-40 leveling system that is earned by co op story mode play, challenges play and online battles.

A 40-50 leveling system that is earned with extra content that you purchase at a later time (and so on up to level 80 or whatever)

Instead of paying 10 dollars for 1 figure, you would buy rfid cards that you collect in packs. Each pack could contain 6 cards with 3 player cards, 2 armor/hat cards and 1 special item (blue or purple). You could have different quality cards too that give special effects. White (common) Green (uncommon), Blue (rare) and purple (epic). This is a take on World of Warcraft. That game has 1000's of items, weapons and you have to gear your character up with so much. Kids are smart these days. They pick up this stuff really quick. I'm essentially asking for a dumbed down version of WoW for kids using the Skylanders universe and stealing from Card Games to have a physical collectible element.

Multiplayer modes would include: All matches would be played against people of equal level to be fair.

Last Man Standing (last person alive wins 8-16 players)

Capture the Flag (team based game where you capture the opponent's flag.

Deathmatch (First team to 50 kills wins)

Weapons Match (your players get random weapons placed on the map and you fight for them to gain the advantage. First time to 50 kills wins)

Domination (Control 3-5 different territories by capturing outposts) The longer you hold them the more points you score...first team to 1000 points wins

There are lots more that you could do too.

So lets just start there. Please post your ideas similarly to the format I have so it's easily read. I will start compiling the ideas into a document file and after all is said and done. I will take our ideas and submit them to the people at Toys 4 Bob and hopefully by them seeing all our hard work, we can get that multiplayer experience we really want.

I think we could really make this franchise amazing if they just listened to a lot of creative kids suggestions.

So lets hear your ideas. I can't wait! smilie
---
"I'm disgusted, and repulsed, and...I can't look away..."
EpicHiro Blue Sparx Gems: 889
#2 Posted: 15:51:00 26/07/2012
^Well Activision would certainly do this. If it required VERY VERY little effort. I mean it's a money maker right? *through the eyes of Activision*
#3 Posted: 15:58:21 26/07/2012 | Topic Creator
I just can't imagine anyone not playing this. I think it could get the following of major franchises. As an adult, I would be more than intrigued by it. I mean take elements from games that are popular now and hybrid it into one massive online experience. I'm not saying do quests and play it like World of Warcraft. But at least use the great elements of other games to expand your franchise into the stratosphere. I think now that they have revived the Spyro universe into a legit franchise. They can maybe try to nudge into new territory. I don't think the next progression is Skylanders Racing game. Though that'd be cool too.
---
#4 Posted: 16:43:19 26/07/2012 | Topic Creator
Spyrobaro: This is for people to put in their ideas for an online game of Skylanders and things you'd like implemented into the game. If you have artwork or ideas for an online component, including map designs, that's always be welcome.
---
Ignitor101 Blue Sparx Gems: 719
#5 Posted: 17:52:08 26/07/2012
Ooh!this would have so much potential,would this be an MMORPG?
#6 Posted: 18:10:45 26/07/2012 | Topic Creator
I don't think it would be so open ended as WoW, but I think it would be a dumbed down version for kids age 8 and up. I can imagine you could have adult only battles and then kid battles or kid friendly servers and adult servers.

I would love Skylanders Online. I mean, imagine how cool it would be to customize your skylander class like you want. With armor, special powers and so much more. This is such an easy money gig for them. But beyond it being about an MMORPG. It would be more about battling online. It's all about making a fun battle environment.

Take the next step Skylanders!!!
---
spyrodadragon Green Sparx Gems: 490
#7 Posted: 18:10:52 26/07/2012
extra extra xerokills comes up with something
---
everyone spam this now Posted Image: http://cdn.memegenerator.net/i...0x/30597908.jpg
or the enderman will kill you
#8 Posted: 18:43:37 26/07/2012 | Topic Creator
Quote: spyrodadragon
extra extra xerokills comes up with something

I'm not reinventing the wheel here. I'm trying to kick around ideas that they could possibly come up with for future franchise expansion.

Not sure if you're being sarcastic or what. But I think we have a lot of creative souls in here. I also think a lot of us here are game designers in our own minds. We may not know the ins and outs of making a successful video game, but as a game designer, free ideas are always great. And I personally am not out for personal gain. I would just love to see the franchise succeed and not stagnate.

I contribute to these forums and other places rather frequently. So if it was a genuine statement spyrodadragon, great. If it was to troll me...have fun with that. smilie
---
#9 Posted: 19:39:27 26/07/2012
hmm...im better in letters than in drawings,so i have a few ideas.

-Downoalding the game would be free,but,some skylanders,armor,weapons etc.,would require sky-cash,which can be bought in stores,they would come,with a little figure,as a collectable.

-At the beginning,you choose what element to specialize in,each character has unique powers.

-Areas:there would be the dojo,where you battle various enemys and bosses,you can do this alone or with friends.

The arena,where you can do the games that you said in your first post.

The dungeon,where anti-skylanders and mostly knights are,a high leveled training place.

The sanctuary,where drow and chompies lurk,a low leveled training place.

The palace,where elemental spirits are,a medium leveled training place.

Kaos' lair,where kaos sometimes respawns from the outlands,this would be an expedition,where only very high leveled skylanders may enter.

-Quests:Helping the various
inhabitants pf skylands for exp,items,and money in return.

So,what do you think,i still have more ideas though.
#10 Posted: 19:57:19 26/07/2012 | Topic Creator
Ignitor, thank you for the contribution. I like the idea of sky cash. I think the collectible figure could be like a pet similar to the sidekicks that would work in game.

I like the areas you laid out too. I may have to start doing charts and map it out and create a world map to show locations.

I also like the idea of having the ability to play on the EVIL side of Skylanders. Where they create a whole new series of classes that are bad. Similar to that of the Horde and the Alliance in WoW.

They need to develop the stories of the characters a bit more and give them history. I think there are a lot of great stories that could be created from this series.

Questing would be key. I think that's kinda how it is. I also think battle missions would be cool where you are online facing off to complete quests in the same area as another team (say a collection quest and they have to come into your area to try to get their quest complete before you complete your quest.) So essentially a head to head quest battle. The winner completes the quest and gets the reward of a bonus item like a Battle Buff such as an extra 5% life for an hour or 2x coins for 10 minutes...or 5% health regeneration for an hour...or a speed boost for 5 minutes usable in other areas.

You would have daily quests that grant you bonus rewards for completing them.

I also think trading in game would be pretty fun as well with an auction house system. (I think a simplification of all the elements of WoW would work very well in a Skylanders application)

I'd like to keep hearing new ideas Ignitor101 smilie

Post as much or as little as you want
---
#11 Posted: 20:28:15 26/07/2012
Thanks,here,i will show an example of a skylander.

SPYRO(Magic group)

Statssmilie0-100,0 being horrible and 100 outstanding.)

*Note*when leveling up,a skylanders stats change,these stats are just a look at what they look like:

Hp:50
Physical Power:55
Magic Power:70
Mp(mana points):80
Defense:65

As you can see,spyro is a pretty rounded out character,it's highest stat being Mp,ALL attacks use mp(except the basic attack)some more,some less,all skylanders have different stats,but magic skylanders all share a resemblance,every element does.Below you will see spyro's attacks.

NO PATH SPYRO,Lvl 0-15

Basic attack(same for all magic skylanders):
Magic Beam:Max lvl:N/A
Shoot a mysterious beam at the opponent.(Magical)

Flameball Attack:Max lvl:10
Spyro lets out a burning fireball at the foe(magical)

Horn Charge:Max lvl:10
Spyro uses his spiky horns to attack-spyro moves faster when using this.REACHARGE TIME:10 secs.(Physical)

Magic Spore:Max lvl:10
Spyro stops moving for 3 secs,after that,the power of his other moves increase.

Starlight:Max lvl:10
Spyro shoots little stars at the speed of light-this attacks power increases the longer the button is held.
RECHARGE TIME:5 secs.

Baby dragon call:Max lvl:10 Summoning attack
Spyro calls upon little dragons.Requires one magic summoning scroll.

After that,spyro would choose a path,like in the games,and by max lvl,i mean that when you level up,you gain power points,which can be implemented into the attack,making it stronger.

EDIT:thanks baro!smilie
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 20:28:39 26/07/2012 by Ignitor101
#12 Posted: 21:15:46 26/07/2012 | Topic Creator
Baro...I like the idea of the capes. I was also thinking belts would be something every skylander could wear and give them abilities. Boots would be another.

So my thoughts on armor for each class:

Hats (or helmets)
Capes
Belts

I like the power rankings.

I was thinking along the lines of this for statistical categories:

(increased with each level) (increased through belts, hats and capes)
Base Health (Hit points)
Armor or Defense (How much damage you take from attacks and how it is mitigated)
Magic Power (how strong magical attacks are and how quickly you regenerate mana)
Physical Power (determines how strong a physical attack is)
Mana (Energy used to cast magical attacks)

You would have a choice of 2-3 trees to go down with a variety of options for each path.

After every 2 levels you get to place a point into a tree which would enhance the path you choose.

An example is something like: Path A: Fire Spyro and Path B: Ice Spyro

You take Fire Spyro and you can choose to place points in Enhanced Fire Ball: 1 point placed gives you an additional bonus of 10% damage. Or you can choose to put a point in Fire Shield: which when you are hit it absorbs 5% of the damage. The more points you use as you level up the more different your character is and you can make him a more tank like character or a more offensive character depending on where you put your points.

In the game WoW you get something like this. Play around with it. I don't know how many people play the game, but maybe it'll give you some ideas you could implement into a Skylander game of a similar nature.

http://www.wowhead.com/talent#o

I think again, simplification would make for a fun game for kids and adults alike. I think we could go further along in the skylander universe than what is currently given with 2 paths. Take a game like Borderlands, or any MMORPG. I think each character could have paths to choose from, albeit simplified, but still 10-15 options for each path, so you can feel like your created character is YOURS and unique.

I like the idea of consumables Ignitor such as a Summoning Scroll that you have to spend coins to purchase. Or things like Battle Elixers that give you a boost in game. I also think Arena Battles and earning special titles for your victories would be cool. How awesome would it be to have a title like Champion of Skylands: Ignitor101 or Slayer: Xerokills in front of your name.

I think I need to go do some WoW pvp when I get home. smilie

Okay...keep the ideas coming
---
Dmcrocks Gold Sparx Gems: 2182
#13 Posted: 15:45:35 27/07/2012
What about Skylanders: Universe? (Sorry if i misunderstood)
---
if you're looking to get in contact with me, please go through http://petty-bourgeoisie.tumblr.com
#14 Posted: 16:47:09 27/07/2012 | Topic Creator
Skylanders Universe is low resolution and not even an exciting game to me (it's kinda a lazy excuse for a game). I'm talking a full fledged experience the you can play via any platform, and cross platform even.

I am wanting to create the ultimate Skylanders Multiplayer game (with Player vs Player) PVP, Co-Op of up to 4 players and even 5-10 man online battle experiences against Kaos and other enemies for cool loot.
---
Todorov_T_11 Green Sparx Gems: 282
#15 Posted: 18:03:08 27/07/2012
skylanders lazy excuse for a game to me
Bean Sprout Blue Sparx Gems: 893
#16 Posted: 01:49:37 29/07/2012
This seems like a cool idea!
---
"No, John. It is pretty weird that ghosts have to pee."
Guy Blue Sparx Gems: 551
#17 Posted: 12:01:16 29/07/2012
Xerokills, I had a few posts on a Skylanders EVIL game on the giants forum under one of the sequels sections, I forgot what it was.

Also on the online game, great idea, but I never really do the online games because:
A, I have lots of homework and about every week I have a school project, literally.
B, when I do have time and play it, I've forgotten my username and my password.
---
Green is not a creative color
#18 Posted: 03:43:36 30/07/2012 | Topic Creator
Guy,
You could have a setting to remember your username and password, or it would be linked to your game save. Or it could be remembered just like MW3 remembers. I think you could have a casual players and hardcore match settings and you'd only get matched up with people in the same ranking zone as you.

And the nice thing about pvp matches. You can play 10 minutes and complete a match. So time wouldn't be an issue. Turn it on...do a quick match and go do homework.

I just think Activision has a lot of capabilities...and they're just resting on their butts and milking a franchise. I guess it sometimes amazes me how blind they are to what the masses want. They only hear what their bosses tell em to do and they're typically out of touch with the audience.

Online content costs them nothing but development time. It doesn't cost a physical object. But you could make a physical component that would work in multiple games if you wanted to. Cards that play in both regular skylanders and the online game. It's literally limitless the options you could have...

Hey Activision...hire me...I work cheap! smilie
---
#19 Posted: 02:40:57 06/08/2012
Sorry,but this topic is too good to die off,anywho,we should send this to activision,they should almost be done with giants by now anyway
Reimu Yellow Sparx Gems: 1076
#20 Posted: 09:33:15 06/08/2012
It is way too WoW crossed over with Call of Duty for me =/

I mean, it's ok to take elements from other games but this is literally a cross over of those games with Skylanders as characters =/
#21 Posted: 18:07:31 06/08/2012 | Topic Creator
Reimu. I think that's what most games are now. But do you know of a game that is intended for young kids that fits that mold? NO...because it doesn't exist. I mean, there is pokemon, but there is no major online gaming movement for kids games. Kids are forced to play WoW or MW3 and that's fun and all, but it's also a bit too adult. I'm trying to find a niche market that fits the 6-14 age bracket. I think a dumbed down version of things for the Skylanders franchise would go off big. I'm not saying copy them exactly, but build on the franchise. Instead of pointing out what is already entirely obvious, help design it. Seems to me it's easy to say, "It's a copy of blah blah game" but inject a better spin on it. I also was suggesting it based on that considering Activision owns both COD franchise and WoW franchise. You don't reinvent the wheel, you make it better.

And to give an example....All multiplayer games have started to take on similar feels to other franchises BF3 and MW3 and Tribes Ascend...then WoW, Rift, EQ2, Aion, Guild Wars. But how many pvp kids games are out there that are of that magnitude? ???

Not many I can think of.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 18:34:52 06/08/2012 by xerokills
#22 Posted: 18:45:00 06/08/2012
Well, Activision doesn't own WoW, Activision-Blizzard does, it's not the same thing I swear. And I'm not sure that they would like to do a MMO similar to Blizzard's one. Even though it's not the same Target Audience, it's still competition.

Activision owns Skylanders and CoD. Blizzard owns WoW. Activision-Blizzard owns all of this.

Activision and Blizzard do their own work.

Also, I'm not sure that a MMO is a god idea for kids. As an adult I would definitely play to that MMO, but I wouldn't want my 6 years old kid play a game where he can talk to strangers where I can't have control.
#23 Posted: 19:06:51 06/08/2012 | Topic Creator
There are environments like this already Reimu. Go look at Disney's website. Kids can play on that. It's up to the parents to control that. You don't think there are 8-12 year old playing with adults on xbox live? You have the moral responsibility. As for Activision/Blizzard argument. The point was, they aren't gonna go sue their own company for copyright infringement. And I am not speaking to make an MMO. I am speaking to make a multiplayer game with offline/online leveling ie co-op...but online. And the ability to play multiplayer in a WoW, COD style of combat scenarios online with 16-32 players. Not open world pvp where people quest and do all sorts of other stuff.

How would that make it an MMO? I don't think the universe of Spyro is big enough to fill that...but I do think the ability to further customization and to have armor to battle in with new weapons, hats and specific skillsets. For example a guy like Wham-Shell would only be allowed to use maces and 2 handed weapons. Where a guy like Gill Grunt or Trigger Happy can use guns, but not swords or melee weapons other than fists.

There is so much that can be done with the game...and the only multiplayer aspect I want is WoW style pvp and more game modes...which they kinda do already, but on a VERY small scale.

Seems like a legit good concept to me. smilie

You could also have kid friendly pvp games and adult ones. It's the honor system, but it would eliminate a lot of the problems with language and creepers.
---
#24 Posted: 19:55:35 06/08/2012
Ok, I though that you were talking about an open world MMO.

If it's not, and it's mostly some "MP Battles" with different modes and online coop, it seems less like CoD or WoW, and sounds interesting.
Tigorus Emerald Sparx Gems: 3589
#25 Posted: 20:35:45 06/08/2012
Quote: Reimu
Well, Activision doesn't own WoW, Activision-Blizzard does, it's not the same thing I swear. And I'm not sure that they would like to do a MMO similar to Blizzard's one. Even though it's not the same Target Audience, it's still competition.

Activision owns Skylanders and CoD. Blizzard owns WoW. Activision-Blizzard owns all of this.

Activision and Blizzard do their own work.

Also, I'm not sure that a MMO is a god idea for kids. As an adult I would definitely play to that MMO, but I wouldn't want my 6 years old kid play a game where he can talk to strangers where I can't have control.

Wow I could respond to this in so many ways...let's begin.

Other M.M.O. companies (Turbine, Arena Net, SOE, etc.) have multiple MMO's under their belt at any given time so that argument doesn't really hold water. Blizz/Acti could have a Skylander MMO run side by side with WoW and neither would suffer since they would have two different development teams. Plus to say they'd be competition is like says Mcdonalds or Starbucks shouldn't have more than one store in a given city...Even though the money is coming from multiple hands it's going into the same pocket.

Also a key point here is that, from an investor stand point, Blizz/Acti seems to be in trouble with all these sub loses from WoW. They are expected to lose even more subscribers once the first round of annual passes comes up for renewal this October. Now here's another point, Skylanders was Blizz/Acti's most profitable i.p. from January-June in 2012...yes it brought in more than WoW....let that digest for a little while. Now going back to Giants release, does anyone think it's coincidence that Giants comes out at almost the exact time that the first annual pass expires????? I think not. Blizz/Acti is already trying to spread their eggs around to different baskets in case WoW keeps tanking.

I personally think a F.T.P. Skylanders MMO with a cash-shop for micro transactions would be amazing for Blizz Acti. They could keep it simple and even use their existing graphics engine online to insure the widest player base possible. BUT the main issue with this is I think your last point...kids and the internet. I think this is a huge issue for them that they don't quite know what they are going to do about it yet. This is evidenced by the lack of any online functionality in Giants.

Personally I think they should add Skylanders functionality into WoW now by adding Skylanders mini's as companion pets in WoW, especially with the Pet Battle System coming up in M.o.P. I think a Skylander persistent world MMO would be perfect and frankly could be released fairly quickly....The investors are nervous and they need to know a replacement for WoW is in the works and soon....Titan won't be released for at least another 3-5 years so they need to get cracking.
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me