darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure > Was skylanders the best game of 2011? Why or why not?
Page 1 of 2 | Last
1 2
Was skylanders the best game of 2011? Why or why not? [CLOSED]
dspyro Yellow Sparx Gems: 1076
#1 Posted: 19:57:03 19/07/2012 | Topic Creator
What do you people think?
---
My YouTube channel is Robert Ramirez
Aquatic Llama Green Sparx Gems: 436
#2 Posted: 19:57:41 19/07/2012
No... If we are talking children's games then yes.
#3 Posted: 20:28:13 19/07/2012 | Topic Creator
What was your favorite game
---
#4 Posted: 20:31:04 19/07/2012
BF3 probably.
#5 Posted: 10:56:23 20/07/2012 | Topic Creator
cool!
---
crystalhero37 Platinum Sparx Gems: 5332
#6 Posted: 12:24:49 20/07/2012
for me... a tie with pokemon black and white smilie
because skylanders is so addictive and the characters are so lovable, and it's just fun having the figures and finding them, no matter what any one says to me because it's my opinion smilie and pokemon is just plain awesome, especially pokemon black and white. (moving pokemon, 3D like models and etc)
spyro and sonic Diamond Sparx Gems: 8325
#7 Posted: 12:38:27 20/07/2012
NO. There are many 2011 games that are easily better than skylanders, such as Pokemon B/W and Sonic Generations. Consequently SG will not be the best game of 2012.
spyrodadragon Green Sparx Gems: 490
#8 Posted: 12:39:13 20/07/2012
i didn't like b&w as much as other pokemon games it was too easy even te elite four unlike emerald i'm stuck on the phycic gym

now remember i'm only 11 s this year i was finally aloud to play halo actully the same day skylanders came in the mail so if it's the best game that the first time you played it was 2011 than halo reach
---
everyone spam this now Posted Image: http://cdn.memegenerator.net/i...0x/30597908.jpg
or the enderman will kill you
#9 Posted: 12:42:13 20/07/2012
I didn't get many games in 2011 I can think of that's why, and I still like Pokemon BW even if it was easy at times smilie (I respect if others don't like it, everyone has an opinion)
ShadowMewX Diamond Sparx Gems: 8081
#10 Posted: 14:03:26 20/07/2012
Quote: crystalhero37
because skylanders is so addictive and the characters are so lovable, and it's just fun having the figures and finding them, no matter what any one says to me because it's my opinion smilie and pokemon is just plain awesome, especially pokemon black and white. (moving pokemon, 3D like models and etc)

Same! Both were great games, and I'm looking forward to both of their sequels...
---
Let's bust bunsen burners and bounce!
Archie Gold Sparx Gems: 2476
#11 Posted: 17:32:06 20/07/2012
Speaking on behalf of my daughter, then yes definately.
---
SSA 37/37 SG 62/62 SSF 75/75 STT 72/72 Traps 57/60(+1 xtra light/dark) SSC 0!
Deandria Green Sparx Gems: 304
#12 Posted: 19:05:45 20/07/2012
Skylanders has kept my attention better than Pokemon White did... but that's only because I'm bored with the Pokémon format now. From an outside point of view or for someone who played White as their first Pokémon it's probably the better game but Skylanders has kept my attention for longer...

What other games did I get last year?

Oh wait! LittleBigPlanet 2... that was better than either game.
---
Own: smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie
Really Want: smilie smilie
Madhouse1 Green Sparx Gems: 450
#13 Posted: 19:12:35 20/07/2012
Pokemon white probably wasn't better then skylanders
---
Right now I'm willing to battle people on Super Smash Bros Brawl
#14 Posted: 19:13:45 20/07/2012
Quote: Madhouse1
Pokemon white probably wasn't better then skylanders

^This. Skylanders is just so unique.
Peridot Weapon Blue Sparx Gems: 947
#15 Posted: 19:41:50 20/07/2012
If you take out the "swap figures" feature, Skylanders really isn't much more than a watered-down version of Gauntlet: Dark Legacy released 12 years ago in arcades (remember arcades?) and over a decade ago on consoles.

And honestly, the game would have had more replay value if they'd taken more pages from it - the ability to Level to 99, more overall enemies in each area, etc.

It's a good starting point, but the actual game is a 10-year-old concept with new figure technology tacked onto it.
Madhouse1 Green Sparx Gems: 450
#16 Posted: 19:50:41 20/07/2012
Pokemon is still a great game but skylanders might have outdid it in 2011. Maybe not though...
---
Right now I'm willing to battle people on Super Smash Bros Brawl
#17 Posted: 23:45:02 20/07/2012
Quote: ShadowMewX

Same! Both were great games, and I'm looking forward to both of their sequels...

cool! yes, I can't wait for the sequals :]
Nibelilt Ripto Gems: 401
#18 Posted: 14:41:30 26/07/2012
Nope.

Games I played and enjoyed more off the top of my head:
  • Xenoblade Chronicles
  • Mario Kart 7
  • Super Mario 3D Land
  • The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D (although this is a remake, sooo...)
  • Nintendogs + Cats
  • Starfox 64 3D (Another remake though)
  • Pokemon White
  • Kirby Mass Attack
  • Professor Layton and The Last Specter

Actually, of the ones I remember, I think the only ones I liked less were Mighty Switch Force! and Rayman 3D. Ouch!
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 14:42:36 26/07/2012 by Nibelilt
xerokills Yellow Sparx Gems: 1181
#19 Posted: 15:26:53 26/07/2012
Soooo many good games out this year that I enjoyed.

In no particular order:

• Star Wars:The Old Republic
  • Batman Arkham City
  • Skyrim
  • Gears of War 3
  • Max Payne 3
  • Starcraft 2
  • Diablo 3
  • Mass Effect 3
  • Kingdom of Amular: Reckoning
  • Rayman Origins
  • Modern Warfare 3
  • Battlefield 3
  • Assassin's Creed: Revelations
  • Dead Island
  • Bastion
  • Zelda:Skyward Sword

That's just to name a few. I could probably go on for 20-30 more...lol.

Skylanders fits in there somewhere, but by no means was the best game. It's definitely the most innovative at generating money. Though it isn't a behemoth yet like the Call of Duty series is. It needs to keep producing high quality products to succeed. They are dropping the ball a bit with the production of the figures...or lack there of and lack of quality too as they've been worse and worse in regards to defects.
---
"I'm disgusted, and repulsed, and...I can't look away..."
Tashiji Yellow Sparx Gems: 1453
#20 Posted: 15:30:13 26/07/2012
It's hard to say that it's the best, given the sheer volume of great games released. But really, Skylanders was never intended to be as engaging as Uncharted 3, for example. It's about interacting with the toys, simple/addictive gameplay, and an awesome aesthetic. As for what game is truly better, it's hard to imagine this simple dungeon crawler could hold up one-on-one against Mass Effect 3, or Skyrim. I will say, however, that it's definitely the most memorable game in the last year for me, even if it wasn't the greatest.
#21 Posted: 15:38:07 26/07/2012
I'll agree with that Tash...I definitely sank the most time tinkering with it...be with painting, drawing or actually playing. I think I played the game less than I did messing with the toys artistically. I still need to sit down and play the Uncharted series. I got all 3 for Christmas and haven't even touched em yet...curse you lack of time!!!
---
#22 Posted: 17:19:54 26/07/2012
You've got to try Uncharted. I put it off for ages myself; didn't want to learn a new game, especially with a new baby. When I finally did just go out and rent 3 from RedBox, it turned out that the series really lived up to its own hype after all. Smooth, fluid game play, action sequences unlike anything attempted in gaming before, the best visuals I've seen in a game, and a surprisingly strong story across all three parts--it really left an impression. They're not the longest games ever, but they're a tour de force.
#23 Posted: 17:44:38 26/07/2012
That's just it. I get my gaming in 1 hour chunks typically. It's hard to get a lot done when my weekends typically get tied up with thing like workouts, fishing, running errands and keeping in touch with my wife. I'm currently in the process of getting back into WoW before Pandaria hits. Then I have Guild Wars 2, Borderlands 2, and so much other content. I still have to beat Skyrim, Mass Effect 2 and 3 and countless other games. It's definitely still a challenging finding enough time. I'll plop it in tonight and give it a whirl when I get home.

smilie
---
#24 Posted: 18:01:25 26/07/2012
Try 2 or 3 first. 1 is a little underwhelming by today's standards. And I definitely know what you mean. Vhraina and I still have games from years ago that we haven't beaten. I'm just lucky that my wife is a gamer herself, so we can consolidate spending time with the spouse and gaming into one efficient hobby, lawlz.
#25 Posted: 18:16:02 26/07/2012
lol...my wife is a gamer of sorts...but she is also a careerist. So she rarely games. She got to level 42 in WoW before school consumed her time along with work. And now she's full time working for the Department of Defense and her other hobby is to read. I am lucky to get 4 hours total time to myself for whatever. I spend 2-3 hours painting and 1 hour doing whatever else...be it gaming or cleaning up. I don't know how I'd manage if I had kids. I have so many games that I barely scratched the surface of. I was lucky to find the time to get as far as I have in Skyrim. I do also sink a lot of time into pointless games like MW3. I mean how many times do I really need to prestige? But I enjoy a good killfest. I'm the most casual of casual gamer. I need to maximize my weekends better...yet I know this weekend I'll get dragged out fishing again...which is great, but how do I get anything done personally if I'm always helping others...(I do the work...he drives the boat...lol...and pays for the gas) Goal for the week...get 12 hours of gaming in this weekend...lol.
---
#26 Posted: 18:19:12 26/07/2012
I didn't get many games in 2011 I can think of that's why, and I still like Pokemon BW even if it was easy at times smilie (I respect if others don't like it, everyone has an opinion)

yeah it was fun just easy
---
everyone spam this now Posted Image: http://cdn.memegenerator.net/i...0x/30597908.jpg
LevanJess Emerald Sparx Gems: 3516
#27 Posted: 21:59:47 26/07/2012
I didn't think it was the best. I don't play too many newer games, true, but I'd say Professor Layton and the Last Specter is the best of 2011. I haven't played too much Pokemon Black beside ROM YET.. But it looks fun too. Skylanders would be a third or second for me.
---
but i love it all smooth
PinkWater Yellow Sparx Gems: 1059
#28 Posted: 03:22:34 27/07/2012
Sorry, Skylanders. I played a little something called Pokemon Black and White.

And then Kirby Mass Attack.

And then Kirby's Dreamland 5.
---
CILAN IS THE SEXIEST MAN ALIVE.

I DARE YOU TO PROVE ME WRONG! ...Actually don't. I'm quite biased.
#29 Posted: 03:41:05 27/07/2012
In terms of non-remake games, I think Mario Kart 7 took the cake for me. T'would likely be Xenoblade, but I just don't have as much time for my Wii now. smilie
arceustheprime Ripto Gems: 5362
#30 Posted: 09:01:25 27/07/2012
Quote: spyro and sonic
NO. There are many 2011 games that are easily better than skylanders, such as Pokemon B/W and Sonic Generations. Consequently SG will not be the best game of 2012.

Agreed.
ChopChop102 Blue Sparx Gems: 604
#31 Posted: 11:40:10 27/07/2012
I liked Uncharted 3 better
---
News: Blue Sparx Baby
Avatar: Ultimate assassins creed song- Look it up on youtube
fateorfear Blue Sparx Gems: 901
#32 Posted: 15:10:51 27/07/2012
Quote: Nibelilt
In terms of non-remake games, I think Mario Kart 7 took the cake for me. T'would likely be Xenoblade, but I just don't have as much time for my Wii now. smilie

how exactly is mario kart 7 not a remake? the number 7 in the title kinda gives it away a bit!

sonic generations was and still is a fantastic game
arkham city is **** hot
skylanders is very addictive but mainly because of the collectable elemant

but, fot me best game of 2011 was MW3
---
DARK SPYRO HAS RETURNED!!!!
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 18:50:21 27/07/2012 by fateorfear
D-Rex Blue Sparx Gems: 815
#33 Posted: 22:10:13 27/07/2012
Quote: xerokills
Soooo many good games out this year that I enjoyed.

In no particular order:

• Star Wars:The Old Republic
  • Skyrim
  • Diablo 3
  • Mass Effect 3
  • Dead Island

All of these aside from Skyrim ended up becoming flops. ME3 is an absolute bust, SW:TOR is driving Bioware out of business, Diablo 3 is a huge critical failure in light of its always online DRM and endless RMAH glitches, Dead Island turned out to be repetitive and dull in an already over saturated genre.

And Oblivion was better than Skyrim.

This here is the real winner of 2011:

[User Posted Image]
---
smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
Tigorus Emerald Sparx Gems: 3589
#34 Posted: 23:02:52 27/07/2012
Rift would be my pick for 2011 but Skylanders is a close second...both are unique. SWTOR was a huge disappointment.
#35 Posted: 00:24:31 28/07/2012
Quote: fateorfear

how exactly is mario kart 7 not a remake? the number 7 in the title kinda gives it away a bit!

arkham city is **** hot

Uuum, what? Mario Kart is obviously a sequel. And if you've actually played it, you'd see it's quite different from the older games, not just with gliding and going underwater, but the track design. The track design has a completely different feel from the older games, and same with the power ups- not to mention car parts. I don't think many party racing games innovate past that, so if you're trying to imply it's more of a remake since that's all it changes...
Purple n Spyro Ripto Gems: 1096
#36 Posted: 02:46:30 28/07/2012
Hmm.. Skylanders was too easy, BW was too easy and terrible for me, Super Mario 3D Land was too easy aswell.. Yup, not many good games.
fateorfear Blue Sparx Gems: 901
#37 Posted: 07:57:51 28/07/2012
Quote: fateorfear

arkham city is **** hot

Uuum, what? Mario Kart is obviously a sequel. And if you've actually played it, you'd see it's quite different from the older games, not just with gliding and going underwater, but the track design. The track design has a completely different feel from the older games, and same with the power ups- not to mention car parts. I don't think many party racing games innovate past that, so if you're trying to imply it's more of a remake since that's all it changes...

i do have it and play it on a regular basis, but it is still a remake, all the same powerups bar 1, all the same tracks with a couple of added extras, and a decent multiplayer, but still just a good old mario kart remake
---
DARK SPYRO HAS RETURNED!!!!
arceustheprime Ripto Gems: 5362
#38 Posted: 08:42:15 28/07/2012
Lolwhut?, I don't think you understand what a remake is.
Guy Blue Sparx Gems: 551
#39 Posted: 10:21:53 28/07/2012
Black and White were pretty easy for me but still fun so I like it a bit more.

But I don't know if Black and White 2 will beat Giants (yes for those of you who don't know already there is a black and white 2 it is out in japan and china and I have even held the box in my hands. For those of you wondering how me holding the box is possible, remember I am in Taiwan right now visiting my Grandparents.) Black and White 2 looked much harder, cooler, and much more fun than B and W one. Still Giants looks harder, cooler, and much more fun than Spyro's adventure.
---
Green is not a creative color
#40 Posted: 11:01:24 28/07/2012
Remake = Recreation of old game, with updated HD graphics, no new content or very little new content (Boss Rush and Visions only added in OOT3D as a example) - Usually happen due technological restrictions of the age

Sequel = Completely new games, may feature reused content, but still contains many new levels and features - Happens to expand on the series for various reasons

Plus, there are TWO New powerups AND the Lucky 7.
Peridot Weapon Blue Sparx Gems: 947
#41 Posted: 12:58:04 28/07/2012
Quote: D-Rex

[User Posted Image]

It's more an example of how if they ever design a portable system designed around playing "apps" with an actual JOYSTICK built in (and keep the same price point), such a system could easily give the DS/3DS a run for its money. (Either that, or make a console that supports Steam downloads and watch the "big three" cringe every time there's a sale.)

Ghost Trick was a hard sell at the $29.99 DS price. But with two free chapters and the ability to buy the later ones in an installment plan (or get the whole game for $9.99?). Definitely worth the playthrough at the iOS price.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 12:58:48 28/07/2012 by Peridot Weapon
SteveW Blue Sparx Gems: 964
#42 Posted: 15:23:19 28/07/2012
Skylanders is the best 2011 game... it's the only 2011 game that I'm still playing...
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 15:24:11 28/07/2012 by SteveW
SteveW Blue Sparx Gems: 964
#43 Posted: 15:26:07 28/07/2012
Quote: Peridot Weapon
Quote: D-Rex

[User Posted Image]

It's more an example of how if they ever design a portable system designed around playing "apps" with an actual JOYSTICK built in (and keep the same price point), such a system could easily give the DS/3DS a run for its money. (Either that, or make a console that supports Steam downloads and watch the "big three" cringe every time there's a sale.)

Ghost Trick was a hard sell at the $29.99 DS price. But with two free chapters and the ability to buy the later ones in an installment plan (or get the whole game for $9.99?). Definitely worth the playthrough at the iOS price.

Wii U will support Steam
Matteomax Platinum Sparx Gems: 5378
#44 Posted: 22:47:00 31/07/2012

Just kidding, it was ok, but there were a lot more games that were better...
---
Will still be checking the forums every now and then!
VespiDragon8 Platinum Sparx Gems: 6587
#45 Posted: 02:46:09 02/08/2012
IGN rate the game with 8.0. It was good but it is the great game of 2011. Sorry was not around. Annex here http://www.metacritic.com/feat...o-games-of-2011 the top 10 of the best games of 2011 and of course, is not announced Skylanders. But it was great that the Xbox 360 was the winning console have more games that year.
#46 Posted: 14:14:53 03/08/2012
2 words no way
---
L-Sunburn Yellow Sparx Gems: 1739
#47 Posted: 22:55:14 04/08/2012
just look up how much the sale ratings were. skylanders is highly popular but pokemon is just such a notable name
---
Favorties smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie
Aconx5 Blue Sparx Gems: 517
#48 Posted: 23:39:57 04/08/2012
Yes! Because its awsome!
bisylizzie Emerald Sparx Gems: 3913
#49 Posted: 11:37:36 05/08/2012
I would disagree. Whilst Skylanders WAS a good game, I feel there were other games which I found I preferred a lot more last year.

Case in point: Ghost Trick, Solatorobo, Portal 2.

But my absolute favourite game of 2011 would have to be Project Diva Extend. ^-^

BISYEDIT: No wait, my absolute favourite would have to be Hatoful Boyfriend.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 11:49:56 05/08/2012 by bisylizzie
#50 Posted: 20:37:26 16/08/2012 | Topic Creator
What is hatoful boyfriend
---
Page 1 of 2 | Last
1 2

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me