Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
Page 1 of 1
Concerning the glow-in-the-dark figures [CLOSED]
Johnster1 Red Sparx Gems: 69
#1 Posted: 10:18:00 08/06/2012 | Topic Creator
As a huge fan of the game, I'm highly interested in what it has to offer and what will come out next. Hearing about more Skylanders to add to the adventure and level up, more expansions and stuff, I love that. Even mere rumours and leaks have gotten me excited about this. But the one thing that I really don't like is these "glow in the dark figures". It's not the concept that I dislike, I think it's awesome. But the general appearence of them. I don't really see how this:

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres...29,r:2,s:0,i:78

Is appealing. More like appaulling. Or however you spell it. The effect however does look neat, but these things cost a fortune on some auction houses. eBay goers are expected to pay around £60 (approx. 75 dollars) for one of these figures!

So the questions are:

1) What do you think of the concept? Would you get one if you hadn't seen a demo of them, or if you thought the game was "average"?
2) How much would you pay for one, and which one would you get?
3) Would you pay the same price to get them all?

My answers would be:

1) It's a great concept, but I'd only get one if it were a Skylander I don't already own.
2) I'd pay under £20 for one. I mean, I could get a (TWENTY MINUTE?!) adventure pack and a Skylander with that for the same price, or three for that.
3) Probably not. Sorry Activision, but until I see more expansions, I don't want to play over the same content with a different mask.

So TLsmilieR: What's your opinion on these li'l figures? And do you think Activision are going too far with marketing this game?
---
Spyro gamer since 1998. JohnGreasyGamer on YouTube (the number one source for number two games).
t7gga Yellow Sparx Gems: 1726
#2 Posted: 10:23:51 08/06/2012
the point is all variants are intended for the collectors. the target market is not the average gamer who has no interest in collecting limited editions.
Mortymore Green Sparx Gems: 356
#3 Posted: 10:59:55 08/06/2012
Quote: t7gga
the point is all variants are intended for the collectors. the target market is not the average gamer who has no interest in collecting limited editions.

Don't forget to add that, on that matter, the target market is almost restricted to US, as far as know, because here in Portugal, and I could say, Europe in general (apart from UK or Germany, here ant there), you can't find any of the gold, glow, silver... skylanders. That frito-lay promotions, and Best-buy volcanic vaul, for instance, make me buy stuff on ebay, if I want them. And that totaly sucks.

The only "extras" I manage to buy, were the Legendary and Blue Bash, because we have Toy'r'Us here.
But the silver, gold, and glow Skylanders, are not exclusives from any toy fair or store (as far I know) and they just pop randomly in any store that sells Skylanders, so they could just have shown here also.
Seems like special Skylanders can't swim to be able to cross the Atlantic ocean. Hum!... Wait a minute... I't just hit me!... They're made in China... Hum! It could be that they actually have trouble to fly over some terrorist country. LOL

cumps
---
smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie blsmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 11:19:34 08/06/2012 by Mortymore
Buzzthebatgirl Yellow Sparx Gems: 1526
#4 Posted: 12:50:53 08/06/2012
Also don't forget that we (fans) were informed (from an email someone sent to Toys for Bob) that the Glow in the Dark editions were exclusive to Australia. I like how that worked out smilie
---
GITD smilie won on Facebook.com/Toywinner
Too many Skylanders in collection
Cheeseman Green Sparx Gems: 462
#5 Posted: 13:03:38 08/06/2012
Quote: Buzzthebatgirl
Also don't forget that we (fans) were informed (from an email someone sent to Toys for Bob) that the Glow in the Dark editions were exclusive to Australia. I like how that worked out smilie

Really? Glad they didn't. That would have been crap for collectors.

I hate it when they have a variant exclusive to one country-I can sort of understand at the things like the toy fair, but the flocked stump smash thing was annoying, especially when we in the UK have Walkers, which is basically the same thing. I don't colect variants anyway, but it would have been nice to have.
---
Skylanders: All of them. Boom!
Buzzthebatgirl Yellow Sparx Gems: 1526
#6 Posted: 16:13:19 08/06/2012
I've already contacted Walkers about the Flocked Stump Smash and future Sidekicks promotions and they confirmed they are not doing them over here (UK) despite that Frito Lays is their sister company. My guess is that the big companies wouldn't do any promotions until after the Olympics. McDonald's, Cadbury's and Coca Cola are already tied with sponsoring the Olympics, so I wouldn't expect anything from them until September at the earliest. I keep plugging away just to find information on the Sidekicks smilie

My two cents on these variants is simple, I'd love to find one in a shop at retail price, but since they are not the special colour/texture in-game - Meh.
---
GITD smilie won on Facebook.com/Toywinner
Too many Skylanders in collection
Deandria Green Sparx Gems: 304
#7 Posted: 16:49:39 08/06/2012
Quote: Buzzthebatgirl
My guess is that the big companies wouldn't do any promotions until after the Olympics. McDonald's, Cadbury's and Coca Cola are already tied with sponsoring the Olympics, so I wouldn't expect anything from them until September at the earliest. I keep plugging away just to find information on the Sidekicks smilie

The Olympics spoils everything! *grumble*
---
Own: smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie
Really Want: smilie smilie
fateorfear Blue Sparx Gems: 901
#8 Posted: 17:38:55 08/06/2012
i work at toys r us and i spoke to one of the "buyers" who was in a meeting with activision, they said that the sidekicks were going to be avalible all across the world as the characters are in game characters and not just variants
---
DARK SPYRO HAS RETURNED!!!!
Mortymore Green Sparx Gems: 356
#9 Posted: 17:45:00 08/06/2012
Quote: fateorfear
... activision, they said that the sidekicks were going to be avalible all across the world as the characters are in game characters and not just variants

Thanks! Thats great news.

Cumps
---
smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie blsmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 17:45:36 08/06/2012 by Mortymore
spyroflame0487 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3866
#10 Posted: 20:09:19 08/06/2012
Quote:
Johnster1
1) What do you think of the concept? Would you get one if you hadn't seen a demo of them, or if you thought the game was "average"?
2) How much would you pay for one, and which one would you get?
3) Would you pay the same price to get them all?

I think the variants are a great concept, but it's unfortunately become near impossible to find them. The same thing happens in lots of different series, but with Skylanders it's become a lot more noticeable. I think regardless of what I thought of the game, the figures are honestly really nice sculpts. For the $9.99 price, I could get some junky looking Star Wars figure that doesn't have any sort of technological capabilities.

If they were readily available, I don't see them charging more randomly. As long as they could sell them perhaps from their official site, that'd be a thousand times better. But, you also have to take into account- these are COLLECTIBLE versions of the regular figures. Not everyone is really meant to have them. And as much as I'd love to see a ton of people having them, they can't. Oh well. Too bad.
My dad collects Hot Wheels cars, and I used this example in another thread. There's a convention held every year. Tickets for staying their are about $300+ a night. Now, lots of people sell stuff, and there's a good amount of things to do, but they sell commemorative cars there. For $30 each. That's not to mention what some cars resell for. Certain "Dinner" cars sell for $50+, and an Auction car from a few years back went for $500. That's not a typo. A car you could get for 99 cents is painted special, and resold for five hundred dollars. Now, we eventually sold our extra for $300 which was pretty good honestly.

The special ones are sold to appeal to the adult collectors. TFB and Activision knows there's a lot of adults playing, and they know they have the bones to drop on more expensive ones. Well..most of us anyways.

Although, I certainly hope they do more promotions like the Flocked Stump Smash. That's much more fair then having to have inside contacts or a ton of money to even get a shot at one of them.
---
Why did Uncle Peter have an interdimentional portal in his attic?
Spyro's entire collection! [Updated June 28th 15]
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 20:09:32 08/06/2012 by spyroflame0487
SpyraArtisan Blue Sparx Gems: 609
#11 Posted: 20:45:00 08/06/2012
I think they're going too far. There's too many variants, and besides, unless you're a collector, they'll serve no real use...
chaosworrier Yellow Sparx Gems: 1555
#12 Posted: 23:06:01 08/06/2012
Quote: SpyraArtisan
I think they're going too far. There's too many variants, and besides, unless you're a collector, they'll serve no real use...

Actually, even if you are a collector, they still don't really serve any "use".

Well, I take that back a tad, I am perfectly happy to use the ones not pre-loaded with lvl 5 and gold as the alternate path figs as I can use them without taking them out of the box.
---
Soylent Green is People!
Definitive Doom Spreadsheet...of Doom: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7oq1...ers%20List.xlsm
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me