Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
Page 1 of 1
variants = stupid [CLOSED]
Himewad Yellow Sparx Gems: 1819
#1 Posted: 16:46:00 14/05/2012 | Topic Creator
Lots of people around here go bonkers over a solid color paint job over an existing figure (silvers, golds, glow-in-darks) or a semi-transparent mold (blue Bash, crystals). Personally, the only reason I would ever have one of these things is if I found one in a store - then I would promptly put it on eBay and get whatever I could for it. They don't show up different in the game, and they cost gobs of money to obtain. Yeah, sign me up smilie.

I also feel this way about the Legendaries now, but at least their paint job shows up in the game, and they have slightly better stats over the normal figures.

Let's end the obsession over these waste-of-time-and-money variants. Who is with me?
---
BEST PILOT IN ALL OF SKYLANDS ... WAIT FOR IT ... BOOM!
Geekycat Yellow Sparx Gems: 1184
#2 Posted: 16:49:50 14/05/2012
I'm with you. If they spent more time on making newer skylanders and getting to the UK quicker than making stupid varients, then maybe I'd spend some more money. I still don't have all of wave 1.
---
If you can't think of something clever to say, ask someone like me.
Deandria Green Sparx Gems: 304
#3 Posted: 17:09:17 14/05/2012
I have to say I agree. I have considered buying a blue Bash for my baby to chew on (see avatar) but here in the UK they cost more than other Skylanders for some reason and I'm not going to support price gouging.

I might consider keeping a glow variant if I found one for retail (depending on how they actually look close-up) but otherwise I'd either sell it or make my neigbour's son's day.
---
Own: smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie
Really Want: smilie smilie
Burning Gnorc Emerald Sparx Gems: 3463
#4 Posted: 17:11:06 14/05/2012
I like the Legendary variants, their paint job is absolutely gorgeous.

The rest of them (save for Dark Spyro) don't interest me at all, but if other people are interested in them, I don't see the harm in letting them use their money how they want to.

Quote: Geekycat
I'm with you. If they spent more time on making newer skylanders and getting to the UK quicker than making stupid varients, then maybe I'd spend some more money. I still don't have all of wave 1.

Trust me, they wouldn't get over here any quicker even if variants didn't exist. Europe just gets screwed over a lot when developers have America in mind.
---
Eh.
fanjo Gold Sparx Gems: 2382
#5 Posted: 17:31:52 14/05/2012
I agree. There are too many variants. they don't do anything in the game, so I'm not interested in getting them for my son. The only reason I would get one is if I saw it in a store and paid retail for it. I've been looking for ages and haven't seen one! I've talk to some staff in stores and they confess that they saw the variants and bought them and sold them. So that's why I have never seen one in a store. I blame activision for doing this. They should have the variants more widely available. That would cut the prices scalpers can get for them.

The market for skylanders figures appears to be turning. They are now begining to drop and amazon are offering the easy to find figures like Drill Sergant for below retail prices. I see the market crashing for the variants soon (I hope). Then I can get some GITD cheaply for my son who thinks these are cool.
Dunkin Yellow Sparx Gems: 1066
#6 Posted: 17:38:46 14/05/2012
I agree, the variants (While the crystals are epic looking) aren't worth the money people are paying for them, they are useless in my opinion.
I'd only get one if I found it in-stores. I'd never pay more than 15 dollars for one.

I have a blue bash, only for collection purposes but I bought him in-store.
But yeah you are not alone, I have to fully agree!
---
I <3 all Spyro games!smilie
Sunny Castanets Gold Sparx Gems: 2231
#7 Posted: 17:59:02 14/05/2012
I certainly couldn't pay obscene prices for variants. My brother bought me a Blue Bash instore, but I wouldn't go on eBay and pay through the nose for one, let's put it that way.
---
Quote: Tashiji
Sunny, as always, you are so darn smart.
spyroflame0487 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3866
#8 Posted: 18:42:31 14/05/2012
I think the worst part of them is how obscenely hard they are to obtain. Good luck finding one in a store; if someone wants one, they're gonna be shelling out double, triple plus for it on ebay.

Honestly, I really like variants. I have a bunch in other lines and they're mainly for collectors of the line which is kinda nice. I see it as a kind of "thank you" from the company for people buying them.

But Skylanders has had the worst distribution method for these that I've ever seen. And I've been collecting things for quite some time.
---
Why did Uncle Peter have an interdimentional portal in his attic?
Spyro's entire collection! [Updated June 28th 15]
ace Gold Sparx Gems: 2982
#9 Posted: 19:32:04 14/05/2012
I agree. Only reason i would buy a varient is if it was instore and that would only be so that i can sell it and make back some of the money i spent on this game. The only exception is blue bash, i wold pay maybe $25 for him and only so that i can give him to a really good friend of mine who loves bash
---
Praise Helix!!!
Peridot Weapon Blue Sparx Gems: 947
#10 Posted: 19:45:00 14/05/2012
Which is why I expect the variants may have been designed with "frontwards compatibility" in mind.

It'll be humorous to see if there's a mad dash from people previously not interested to acquire a Blue Bash if he suddenly appears differently in Skylanders: Giants. Even more so if he has some unique ability that the original Bash lacks.

It'd be easy enough to do - just have the variants' bases include one extra code segment of data. That section would be ignored by the Skylanders portal (since the game wasn't built to look for it) but supported in Giants.
AJAwesome Platinum Sparx Gems: 6303
#11 Posted: 19:46:24 14/05/2012
I think these super hard to find variants make people go crazy, I would only buy one if I found one.
---
I'm a girl. My name is Reese. :3
RidgeRat517 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1362
#12 Posted: 20:11:36 14/05/2012
I agree too. I am not going out of my way to find any of the variants but I did find a glow in the dark wrecking ball at Walmart last week and I bought it because I couldn't believe I actually found it. I am debating about selling it on ebay. I was watching one on ebay an it sold for around $80. It would be nice to make back some of the money that I have spent on gas driving all over the place trying to find the regular Skylanders. LOL.
LevanJess Emerald Sparx Gems: 3516
#13 Posted: 20:41:27 14/05/2012
I pretty much agree. I wouldn't pay over $20 for a variant. The prices now are just ridiculous for them. It's not worth it at all, especially since they don't change in game.

However, if I can get one for less than $20 in store or eBay/whatever... I would get one. Just because I kinda like the looks of most of them. I hope the prices go down eventually so I can find them easily. I have enough patience to wait, otherwise I won't get any. I haven't found any yet..
---
but i love it all smooth
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 22:33:07 14/05/2012 by LevanJess
Rand O M Gold Sparx Gems: 2223
#14 Posted: 22:16:56 14/05/2012
I agree. Why make them if they aren't gonna be that color in the game? However, if I do see one I might buy it. But still, it seems stupid to make figures that aren't gonna be that color on the game.
chaosworrier Yellow Sparx Gems: 1555
#15 Posted: 23:16:17 14/05/2012
Quote: Rand O M
I agree. Why make them if they aren't gonna be that color in the game? However, if I do see one I might buy it. But still, it seems stupid to make figures that aren't gonna be that color on the game.

Can you say last minute decision money grab?
---
Soylent Green is People!
Definitive Doom Spreadsheet...of Doom: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7oq1...ers%20List.xlsm
trentd78 Ripto Gems: 914
#16 Posted: 00:02:36 15/05/2012
oh i thought that it said variants=yummy.

i kinda agree.
Toyger Green Sparx Gems: 453
#17 Posted: 01:00:38 15/05/2012
I kinda like the legendaries and love Dark Spyro (though I wish he had his 3DS moves on the Wii too =/ )
As for the "different colour but does nothing in the game", I did consider buying blue bash just to sell it again, but decided it would probably be more job than it's worth (since I've never sold anything on eBay before)
I did find about 50 of it on Toys R Us *so tempting*
But I did not want one myself, at all :smilie:
You can't register it online (if you have a regular already) and it doesn't make a lick of difference in the game. I don't buy two of the same kind to have both versions of attacks.
---
Fav8: smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie (top 10: smiliesmilie)
Own 35/37 - Need smiliesmilie
My DeviantArt: http://toyger.deviantart.com/
chopchop Blue Sparx Gems: 552
#18 Posted: 01:08:46 15/05/2012
Variants ARE stupid. They are only for collectors, whitch are worse than scalpers
---
This user has died
#19 Posted: 01:18:11 15/05/2012
Please elucidate how you could possibly equate collectors to be worse than scalpers; thanks in advance...
---
Soylent Green is People!
Definitive Doom Spreadsheet...of Doom: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7oq1...ers%20List.xlsm
Thelawtman Red Sparx Gems: 47
#20 Posted: 03:06:52 15/05/2012
A simple saying, A fool and his money are easily parted.
Kirby_rules Ripto Gems: 504
#21 Posted: 03:11:42 15/05/2012
I agree waste of money but the title shouldn't say stupid that's so 2007.
#22 Posted: 03:15:13 15/05/2012 | Topic Creator
Quote: Kirby_rules

Stupid is timeless. Dope, phat, shizzle ... Those are played, homey.
---
Kirby_rules Ripto Gems: 504
#23 Posted: 03:17:20 15/05/2012
Quote: Himewad

What? Sorry,I don't listen to rap...
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 03:17:31 15/05/2012 by Kirby_rules
Corroded Arceus Green Sparx Gems: 390
#24 Posted: 03:43:37 15/05/2012
I agree. I think people should be able to do whatever they want as long as it doesn't harm anyone else, but this variant thing... I simply do not understand it. It is beyond my comprehension how anyone can find them appealing at all; all they have is a different paint job. If they had different colours/abilities in game, maybe I would find them appealing. It just seems to be to be Activision's way of making extra money by encouraging people to buy extra figures.

Usually if I don't like something, I can understand why others would like it. But this? I'm at a loss.
DrillSarge Gold Sparx Gems: 2327
#25 Posted: 11:39:50 15/05/2012
Wait a year or two. You will be able to buy the whole set of vraiants for a nickel on ebay. The only people that spend money on all of these variants have social issues and addictive personalities. We have all had friends that take whatever is popular to the extreme.
#26 Posted: 11:54:36 15/05/2012
I resent that comment - I have ANTI-social issue, thank you very much!
---
Soylent Green is People!
#27 Posted: 12:51:10 15/05/2012 | Topic Creator
Quote: Himewad

What? Sorry,I don't listen to rap...

My point exactly. Word.
---
Landerfan2012 Gold Sparx Gems: 2048
#28 Posted: 15:03:35 15/05/2012
The varients are only their for you to buy more of the same guy and waste your money. indeed varients are stupid
---
131/174
Trap team and Gearshift on reservation
SpyroTek Blue Sparx Gems: 516
#29 Posted: 20:35:04 15/05/2012
Quote: Peridot Weapon
Which is why I expect the variants may have been designed with "frontwards compatibility" in mind.

It'll be humorous to see if there's a mad dash from people previously not interested to acquire a Blue Bash if he suddenly appears differently in Skylanders: Giants. Even more so if he has some unique ability that the original Bash lacks.

It'd be easy enough to do - just have the variants' bases include one extra code segment of data. That section would be ignored by the Skylanders portal (since the game wasn't built to look for it) but supported in Giants.

Now that would be a brilliant surprise, talk about a kick in the teeth. smilie
Tashiji Yellow Sparx Gems: 1453
#30 Posted: 20:44:12 15/05/2012
I disagree. The variants themselves are easily worth paying retail for. Anyone who would seriously leave one sitting on the shelves is either lying to prove a point, or has no concept of value. The secondary market is the source of the problem here, not the variants as actual items.
Ice Dragoness Diamond Sparx Gems: 7896
#31 Posted: 22:02:33 15/05/2012
I agree. I like Dark spyro and the legendaries. That is all. Waste of money other wise.
whamshell Green Sparx Gems: 271
#32 Posted: 01:52:40 16/05/2012
why would you pay money for a toy that lacks a decent paint job??? cause its rare??? now flocked stump smash??? thats a neat varient
Postalgoddess Yellow Sparx Gems: 1144
#33 Posted: 01:56:44 16/05/2012
Quote: whamshell
why would you pay money for a toy that lacks a decent paint job??? cause its rare??? now flocked stump smash??? thats a neat varient

.....and even better cause it's free!!! smilie
---
37 of 37, AND...blue smilie, flocked smilie, WER smilie
Tashiji Yellow Sparx Gems: 1453
#34 Posted: 01:59:37 16/05/2012
Quote: whamshell

I'm not here to help you rationalize it, just to say that, if you saw one sitting right in front of you on a store shelf, you would buy it. Everyone in this thread would. Lame paintjob or not.
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me