Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
Page 1 of 1
The Legacy of MorningStar [CLOSED]
MorningStar Green Sparx Gems: 298
#1 Posted: 03:06:33 28/05/2008 | Topic Creator
At last, here it is! The story of MorningStar, the little earth dragon that could! There will be very few appearances of canon characters (one of which you'll see in this post), and lots of appearances of characters of my own design, and a little of my collection of dragon lore mixed into the world of Spyro, but I hope you enjoy this story anyway. :3

:: Prologue ::

Darkness settled over the sky, and a small community of dragons was settling down to rest. Stars glinted brightly in the nightsky... as well as in the eyes of fell beasts in the shadows. Little did the dragons know that the Dark Master's corruption had once again begun creeping its way to every last corner of the world, just as it had in ancient times, which few remembered.
A particular horned, black figure peered out from the trees. "Tonight, we begin our master's conquest..." a feminine voice hissed. "Make sure the others are ready; we mustn't fail."
"Yes, Milady," said a hoarse voice, and its owner scurried off without a sound...

A small earth dragon shifted to a more comfortable position in her small nest, unaware of what was under way outside. Life has always been peaceful, and so it would be tomorrow... And the next day... and the day after that. All the other dragons had settled into this state of mind as well, but tonight the world was going to be shaken to its core, and it all started there on that small island.

--
Crash!! Apes of every shape and size stormed from the forest, the larger leading apes carrying frightful spears. They trampled their way into the village, the large apes grunting crude commands to the smaller apes. The watch dragon, who had long ago become nothing more than a figurehead, was awakened from his sleep by the din all too late. "We are under attack!" he shrieked in fear. "Dragonesses and dragonets! To-to the shelter! Males, to arms!" he yelped as he scurried to the shelter, despite the fact he was a male too.

There was an immediate ruckus all over the village, numerous females and their children scrambling through the streets trying to get to the woefully small, underused shelter first. The young earth dragon sprung from her nest to see what was going on. A great brute of an earth dragon leapt over her to get through the exit of their home, landed and turned on a dime towards the source of all the commotion. "Mother," the smaller dragon asked over her shoulder, "Where is Father going!? What's happening!?"

A moderately sized earth dragon of lighter build stepped out beside her. "I... I don't know, MorningStar. The watch dragon said we are under attack," she said redundantly, as a large fire dragon sent a smaller ape flying.

"But how can this be!?" the smaller dragon cried, still disbelieving. "There's never been any war!"

Her mother gave her a long, deep look. "..." Another crash and she picked up MorningStar by the scruff of her garment and fell in the throng of other females and their babies headed for the shelter.

Meanwhile, all the males had assembled to fight the forces attacking their home. One dragon, an ice dragon, was particularly large and was obviously taking out more enemies than the others. Seeing this, the black horned figure burst from the woods, feeling it needed to step in. "Who here is the Father Dragon?" it hissed, spreading its wings to reveal itself as a crimson and ebony she-dragon. She knew who it was; she mostly spoke that line for effect.

As if on cue, the apes backed away from the dragons so they could talk. "I am," the voice of the ice dragon deeply rumbled. "What are you and these beasts doing here?"

"My master Malefor returns! He commands you and every other dragon to surrender, or face destruction!" she said.

"!!!" The older dragons, including the Dragon Father, recoiled in shock. "M-Malefor... But how? How could it be?"

"He commands you to surrender or face destruction," the black dragon repeated testily.

"We will never surrender," grumbled the Dragon Father. The other males looked at him as if he were crazy; he was going to doom them all!

"Very well, then! You shall face destruction!" And not another word was spoken; she lunged for the ice dragon's throat at such speed that he didn't have a ghost of a chance. The males fought valiantly, but they were greatly outnumbered. Under the leadership of the black dragon, the hoarde laid waste to the dragons' homes and left few survivors...

--
Those dragons that had made it to the shelter were not found by the dark forces. Dragonesses, their dragonets, and the cowardly males who had fled were the only survivors. The next morning they stepped away from the hidden shelter to see what had become of their home, once the attackers had left for the next island.

All of it was in ruins. Most importantly, the home of the Dragon Father was smashed down to rubble and burned. Those who had lived through the attack circled solemnly around what was left of the Dragon Father's home. Some wept, while others shook with rage at the sight. An ice dragonet stood at the back of the group. Apparently he had the worst reaction of all of them, unable to bring himself to react at all. MorningStar, one of the earth dragonets, stepped out of the crowd of older dragons to get a better look. "...Someday... somehow... I'm going to fix this," she vowed. Some other dragonets heard her resolution, and stepped out beside her in solemn agreement. They exchanged glances, nodded, and bowed their heads, having made their decision...

I think I wrote too much for just a prologue, lulz.
---
I'll take a potato chip... AND EAT IT!
Last edited at 18:53:37 28/05/2008 by MorningStar
SequoiaDragon Emerald Sparx Gems: 3930
#2 Posted: 21:09:51 28/05/2008
Wonderful story! Will you write more?....please? smilie
---
My book Harahpin is now on sale! smilie
DragonFriend244 Blue Sparx Gems: 767
#3 Posted: 21:14:45 28/05/2008
Nice. smilie

I would like to hear more.
#4 Posted: 21:18:50 28/05/2008 | Topic Creator
;3 Of course I'll write more.
It takes a little while, though. I have this weird thing, I have to know it word for word pretty much before I'll write it or else I dunno what to write. o 3o But I'll get the next part done soon. smilie I'm glad you guys like it.
---
fantasy luver Yellow Sparx Gems: 1286
#5 Posted: 21:41:31 28/05/2008
I loved that! you are really good at coming up with these things. I wish I could do thatsmilie
#6 Posted: 05:28:18 29/05/2008 | Topic Creator
Quote: fantasy luver
I loved that! you are really good at coming up with these things. I wish I could do thatsmilie

D'aw, gosh. x3 *blush*

My advice to aspiring writers is to read! And then read some more. And, finally, read. Lots and lots and lots.

And here is... chapter 1! Proper character introduction.

:: Chapter 1: Present day ::

"We are under attack!" called the watchdragon. He sounded much calmer than he had twelve years ago. He had good reason, though, to be less alarmed about this attack; the village had proper protection this time. Besides that, the attacks had dwindled down to little skirmishes in an attempt to gain power.

"We're on it," an earth dragon called up to the watch dragon. "C'mon, mercenaries! We got some ape butt to kick!" she shouted over her shoulder. Soon she was joined by a trio of dragons approximately her age; a fire dragon, an ice dragon, and a lightning dragon, all female, and all donning the same sash and leggings. The four of them merged into a formation and charged headlong into a group of apes; there was a large ape wielding a magic spear, two moderately-sized apes, and a larger group of smaller apes. "Sonia," the earth dragon directed the command to the ice dragon, "and Athena," the lightning dragon, "You two work on the smaller ones.

"Aye-aye, captain!" the two said in unison. Athena drew a dagger from a hilt wrapped around her waist and held it in her mouth, letting loose with it upon the apes. In the dagger she infused her power of lightning, sending an extra shock with her slashes. Yellow sparks bounced about the blade. Sonia skidded up to the other smaller apes, breathing onto them an icy mist. A glowing blue crystal around her neck imbued her breath with great freezing power, rendering her foes motionless. Once this process was complete, she tore into them with a flurry of headbutting melee attacks.

"Kenina," she said to the fire dragon, "You can take out the bigger ones, right?"

"Are you kidding?" Kenina spat, skidding to a stop in front of the two larger apes. They were, of course, being stupid standing right next to eachother, each looking at the dragons with dumb looks on their faces. "They never get any smarter, do they?" the fire dragon laughed, snapping her jaws open and sending crackling red flames their way.

"The big one with the spear is mine," the earth dragon made clear. She sauntered up to the brute and whipped her tail. "Think this little cluster is enough to take over my village, do you?"

"You tell 'em, MorningStar!" Kenina piped up, once her work was finished. She sounded almost sarcastic. "Your village, haha..."

"Urrrghhgghhhh," the giant ape grunted. He stepped forward once and lowered his spear in a confident challenge.

"Oh, I have a weapon, too. This'll be a fair fight," she said, opening her mouth. With the slightest grunt of effort, from her jaws came a ghostly green flail of energy. "The... earth flail!" It actually took some effort to talk with her weapon poised.

The ape charged at her with his spear, but MorningStar dodged with an easy flap of her large wings. This confused her adversary, and with a swing of her head she sent her earth flail crashing into him. The ape managed to knock her out of flight with his spear as she fell, eliciting from her a soft cry. The dragon landed on the ground with a dull thud, dissipating her flail. She was quickly back up on her feet, and so was the ape. Resummoning her flail, she swung it high over her head before bringing it back down upon her foe. The ape managed to dodge it by a hair, and the flail left a great indent in the ground. "Ooh, you're good," MorningStar admitted, turning back to the enemy. "But you're not good enough!" At last she struck a direct hit, sending the poor brute flying. "Well, that takes care of that," she said, looking around at the ape carnage. "We did good, girls."

"MorningStar," Sonia said, dragging a frozen ape behind her, "This one's still alive. Don't you suppose we need to take it back to headquarters for interrogation? We haven't received an update on the Dark Master's progress in some time."

"Good idea, Sonia," Athena commended with a nod. "We must know more about what is going on on the outside."

"Back to the lair, then," MorningStar said, and with that she turned and made her way to the Mercenary headquarters, followed by her three comrades. Little did they know they were being followed by a fifth dragon...

Their lair was actually a shelter from twelve years ago, refurbished and well-expanded upon. The inside was a pleasant stone blue, and candles melted onto rocky edges served as a light source for Athena's reading and Sonia's recording. Shelves dotted walls here and there and were adorned from various trinkets looted from apes. It was altogether a comfortable place.

Kenina took the frosted ape and slapped him in a chair, puffing him with some fire to thaw him out. He screeched comically and clung to his chair, fearful of the four dragons surrounding him. Sonia stepped forward and held a claw to his throat. "What do you know, primate? What's going on with the Dark Master's forces?"

"C-Cynder has been defeated... b-by a purple dragon!" he squealed, not wanting any harm to come to him.

"What's that? A purple dragon!?" Athena exclaimed, sharing an expression of disbelief with the others. "The legendary creature of prophesies? Prophesies of world-saving? That creature?"

"Y-y-yes, a p-purple dragon named Spyro!"

"Not only is there a purple dragon, then," Kenina pointed out, "But this purple dragon has also defeated Cynder."

"The Cynder? The black dread dragon?" Now it was MorningStar's turn to look disbelieving. "If Cynder's gone, then who is leading the Dark Forces now?"

"G-Gaul, Cynder's caretaker!" the ape obliged. "He-he's planning another attack on all the islands! T-To finish what Cynder didn't! Oh, please, don't hurt me..."
--
Bonus! Character Profile #1

• [User Posted Image]
---
Last edited at 05:29:20 29/05/2008 by MorningStar
SequoiaDragon Emerald Sparx Gems: 3930
#7 Posted: 20:20:13 29/05/2008
YAAAAY! Can't wait for more! smilie
---
My book Harahpin is now on sale! smilie
DragonFriend244 Blue Sparx Gems: 767
#8 Posted: 18:06:42 31/05/2008
Yes please write more. smilie
#9 Posted: 00:02:11 01/06/2008 | Topic Creator
I'll get started on the next chapter soon enough- there's a Hatching at the Dragonriders of Pern RP I'm a part of that starts tonight. I know what's going to happen, though, so no worries. It'll get written soon. ;3 I'm glad people are looking forward to it.
---
Last edited at 00:02:26 01/06/2008 by MorningStar
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me