Page 1 of 1
Oh Activision. [CLOSED]
VexusTD Green Sparx Gems: 464
#1 Posted: 04:56:28 06/05/2012 | Topic Creator
If you had a face I would punch you in the nuts - Kim from Scott Pilgrim

Jokes aside. I have a simple question that I know will be spammed with repeated simple answers that I already know, but I felt I must ask it anyways.

Why. Why make money when you don't have much to show for it? I cannot judge Skylanders for what it is because I have never played it, but why would you take a gaming icon that should have stayed where it was at and use it as a marketing campaign just to fill your pockets? It's genious the idea, I give them that. Kids need to go back to the oldschool figurines instead of being subjected to stupid entertainment such as the hate filled rage inducing violent games we know today. Call of Duty anyone? But still, taking a symbol of not just mine, but many others' childhood and turning him into just a quick buck is a little messed up. I have no beef with Skylander fans and I support you all as fans of a great series, but I still needed to ask that question.
---
"If you are man enough to make a child, you should be man enough to raise one." ~Kellin Quinn
LevanJess Emerald Sparx Gems: 3516
#2 Posted: 04:59:35 06/05/2012
because it makes them money
and they don't seem to care what the fans of the older series think

enough said
---
but i love it all smooth
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 05:00:25 06/05/2012 by LevanJess
Aura24 Platinum Sparx Gems: 6561
#3 Posted: 05:03:02 06/05/2012
Yea, Activision is ignoring the older Spyro fanbase of the classic series. For good reason too.
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 05:07:05 06/05/2012 by Aura24
#4 Posted: 05:09:15 06/05/2012 | Topic Creator
And those are two of the three/four answers I was expecting smilie.

Now as a second added question, why is it that they ignore the older Spyro fanbase? They could make money and make an even greater game, though there are mixed opinions so making the perfect game would not happen. I love questions. Dey make I smartar.
---
"If you are man enough to make a child, you should be man enough to raise one." ~Kellin Quinn
#5 Posted: 05:11:56 06/05/2012
Because they know that the older fanbase of the classic series will rage and send pointless death threats to Activision about Spyro looking all "demented" and not like THEIR Spyro. Trying to force the company to change his look all because of a new character design.

Activision decided to take the Spyro series in a different direction, far from the dark, mature of the LoS, and back into the light atmosphere the classic Spyro games had, this time for children who have no idea who Spyro is. And it suceeded.
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 05:14:19 06/05/2012 by Aura24
#6 Posted: 05:13:31 06/05/2012
probably because the older fanbase is raging up a storm going like "OMG SPYRO IS A F-CKING GREMLIN, I H8 U ACTIVISION, CHANGE HIM BACK!!!!!!!!!!! ILL NEVAR BY UR GAMES AGAIN >:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:("
most/some of 'em don't deserve anything honestly
and this game isn't to please the spyro fanbase, it's to please the KIDS, so they went with what they thought the kids would like, and guess what? it made them a load of money

besides the spyro fanbase is never pleased, they'll find anything to complain about
---
but i love it all smooth
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 05:15:29 06/05/2012 by LevanJess
#7 Posted: 05:20:00 06/05/2012 | Topic Creator
I have no problem with the design for I don't really care about it as long as the gameplay is fine, and so should others. You are so right in saying that trying to force a change is pointless and stupid. Taking a giant turn, after an already giant turn is what threw me off about the decision of Skylanders most now that I look back to it. Light --> Dark --> Light again was strange.

I laughed at your post Levan. Boycotting an item through just a few thousand people wont meen squat to them. They made millions on this switch and are most likely going to make another heap through Giants. Marketeering is an evil, evil trade, my friend.
---
#8 Posted: 05:22:31 06/05/2012
They are obviously milking the franchise, Vexus, since it made a whole ton of money. The sequel revealed a few months after the first game was sort of predictable.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 05:23:19 06/05/2012 by Aura24
#9 Posted: 05:23:01 06/05/2012
wow, i wish more people realized that what you said was true (spyro design and last part of post), that would make the fandom seem a bit better, nice post
---
but i love it all smooth
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 05:23:24 06/05/2012 by LevanJess
#10 Posted: 05:23:38 06/05/2012 | Topic Creator
Quote: Aura24
They are obviously milking the franchise, Vexus, since it made a whole ton of money. The sequel revealed a few months after the first game was sort of predictable.

Evil, evil trade, my friend. :3
---
Jackson117 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3875
#11 Posted: 07:55:54 06/05/2012
It's more the fact this is, a game with Spyro not staring Spyro.
spyro and sonic Diamond Sparx Gems: 8318
#12 Posted: 13:26:48 06/05/2012
Activision is only interested in creating the most lucrative franchise it can. They succeeded. Their profit doubled the year skylanders was released. This will lead them to care about the spyro character even less. However I predict that giants will not sell nearly as well as the first.
spyroflame0487 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3866
#13 Posted: 15:14:28 06/05/2012
Quote: VexusTD
I cannot judge Skylanders for what it is because I have never played it

Spyro has really been lacking in...well..recognition. There was a good number of people playing TLoS series, but I think Skylanders has really introduced Spyro to a new audience. The problem has been that Spyro's been tossed around through various publishers like some rag doll.

I see why you'd think it'd be a "quick buck" which..honestly it's kind of turned into, but Skylanders at it's core feels very similar to the original Spyro games. There's a campy, almost Saturday Morning Cartoons feel to it which is great.

Really, I don't think they foresaw it being as popular as it did. That was one of the big reasons we had no figures for sale for so long. (of course there were other factors, but having to make a ton more that what you were originally going to produce didn't help)

Skylanders was originally supposed to be a gritty Spyro reboot (gritty..er than TLOS I'm guessing) but after deciding that wasn't Spyro, they reworked it into the game we see today. Which is great. A storyline penned by some wonderful people, and a really inventive way for people to keep coming back (as mind-numbingly frustrating as it is to find what I want) it's a really fun game. I recommend you pick it up and try it out.
---
Why did Uncle Peter have an interdimentional portal in his attic?
Spyro's entire collection! [Updated June 28th 15]
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 15:15:30 06/05/2012 by spyroflame0487
#14 Posted: 19:46:01 06/05/2012 | Topic Creator
Quote: spyroflame0487
I cannot judge Skylanders for what it is because I have never played it

Spyro has really been lacking in...well..recognition. There was a good number of people playing TLoS series, but I think Skylanders has really introduced Spyro to a new audience. The problem has been that Spyro's been tossed around through various publishers like some rag doll.

I see why you'd think it'd be a "quick buck" which..honestly it's kind of turned into, but Skylanders at it's core feels very similar to the original Spyro games. There's a campy, almost Saturday Morning Cartoons feel to it which is great.

Really, I don't think they foresaw it being as popular as it did. That was one of the big reasons we had no figures for sale for so long. (of course there were other factors, but having to make a ton more that what you were originally going to produce didn't help)

Skylanders was originally supposed to be a gritty Spyro reboot (gritty..er than TLOS I'm guessing) but after deciding that wasn't Spyro, they reworked it into the game we see today. Which is great. A storyline penned by some wonderful people, and a really inventive way for people to keep coming back (as mind-numbingly frustrating as it is to find what I want) it's a really fun game. I recommend you pick it up and try it out.

I would buy it if it weren't so expensive. That turns me away from a game like that. 30+ items that you don't really need to complete the game, but if you want a complete set it's almost 600$ :/
---
spyroflame0487 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3866
#15 Posted: 20:40:25 06/05/2012
I would buy it if it weren't so expensive. That turns me away from a game like that. 30+ items that you don't really need to complete the game, but if you want a complete set it's almost 600$ :/

The game is really interesting in that you can make it as expensive or inexpensive as you want. The starter kits are usually on sale every other weekend (probably moreso closer to Giants). You get 3 characters with it, and you can finish the game with just those 3.

However, if you want to open up all the secret areas, you'll have to get one character of the other 5 elements. At $8.99 apiece, that's around $100 total for 100% completion. Then, if you decide you want to collect ALL the figures, it will get more expensive. But I think it evens it out a bit; DLC you'd buy from a console marketplace is what..like $5-$10. At least with these things you get a physical item, which is nice. It helps too that the sculpts on them are really amazing as well.
---
Why did Uncle Peter have an interdimentional portal in his attic?
Spyro's entire collection! [Updated June 28th 15]
#16 Posted: 00:11:57 07/05/2012 | Topic Creator
Well I like to have 100% and not just in game, but the other things with it as well. Skyrim and oblivion wouldn't be complete without their maps and strategy guides. Skylands woulden't be completed if I didn't own every single figurine.
---
imanirox890 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1424
#17 Posted: 12:38:07 07/05/2012
Quote: LevanJess
because it makes them money
and they don't seem to care what the fans of the older series think

enough said

considering most of the older spyro fanbase were sending death threats and trolling SSA I see why they would ignore them
#18 Posted: 20:51:25 07/05/2012
agreed
I think they should be lucky they added Cynder, Sparx, sheep and other references to it
---
but i love it all smooth
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me