Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
Page 1 of 3 | Next | Last
1 2 3
CONTEST: The next one [CLOSED]
StormbringerGT Green Sparx Gems: 162
#1 Posted: 04:14:00 04/05/2012 | Topic Creator
Alright after the pretty cool success of the first contest I want to run a second one. I was just going to Give away a Camo or Warnado but I think this is a cooler prize instead:
[User Posted Image]

Here's the deal for this one, I'm looking for an Adult to organize and run this competition this time. My forum organizational skills are lacking and time is a constant issue for me. That last one could have been run better and given the artists involved more exposure.

I"m also looking for ideas for this contest. Should it be another create your own Skylander type contest? Post your ideas and we will try to get a general consensus on what everyone wants!
---
I'm currently: Awaiting Dragon's Dogma and listening to Old Linkin park. Bite me, their old stuff is better than their new stuff. smilie
90806madgamer Red Sparx Gems: 97
#2 Posted: 04:24:24 04/05/2012
How about create your own GIANT skylander with an unknown element..cool prizes by the way..i hope i win..
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 04:29:29 04/05/2012 by 90806madgamer
xerokills Yellow Sparx Gems: 1181
#3 Posted: 04:26:10 04/05/2012
I hate to say it, but with an art contest you run the risk of people just stealing off the internet and ringers getting in on the contests...cough cough the good artists. This makes it unfair to others really. I do like the create a character contest and there is room to grow with that idea. How about a Create a Giant contest? Or maybe a create a level contest? Or possibly a repaint a Skylander contest. Just a few thoughts. You could always have it be a repaint a Spyro, Gill Grunt or Trigger Happy contest as those are the cheapest to get your hands on at Gamestop. I don't know. Just a few ideas.
---
"I'm disgusted, and repulsed, and...I can't look away..."
#4 Posted: 04:30:27 04/05/2012 | Topic Creator
I agree the art contests can be unfair, but with all the "create" contests, as art is created in the contest it tends to skew views. In this day and age of "pics or it didnt happen" or "No pic no click" hur dur, anyone who just submits an entry without eye catching art is going to get glossed over. (Note: I did not do this last contest I read all the entries including ones without art, art was a factor, but creativity and well thought out plans was what I was looking for)
---
I'm currently: Awaiting Dragon's Dogma and listening to Old Linkin park. Bite me, their old stuff is better than their new stuff. smilie
Kirby_rules Ripto Gems: 504
#5 Posted: 04:36:06 04/05/2012
How about most creativity?
Osbor Blue Sparx Gems: 710
#6 Posted: 04:52:50 04/05/2012
easy way to foil people stealing art; use a reverse image serarcher (look em up) to see if that image is posted elsewhere online. viola
xerokills Yellow Sparx Gems: 1181
#7 Posted: 05:20:17 04/05/2012
If you did do art contests you'd have to have age groups probably. Maybe you give scores based on 3 categories:

Originality
Artwork
Creativity
---
"I'm disgusted, and repulsed, and...I can't look away..."
sykotek Yellow Sparx Gems: 1262
#8 Posted: 05:40:49 04/05/2012
I vote making a haiku about your favorite Skylander character, but the added twist is not revealing who it is, judges must be able to guess who it refers to without it mentioning in the haiku (you'd put the answers in spoilers though). Best three get voted on by the rest of the community. Of course...I wouldn't play since I don't need any of those prizes, but it would demonstrate originality, creativity and be kind of artistic too, lol.

A haiku is a short poem in 5-7-5 syllable format.

Example:

Girls, who has the time?
Soaring through the bright blue skies.
Boom to you my friend!

Flynn
---
Volcanic Vault World Tour is temporarily on hold...waiting on dwattzdrummer
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 05:47:54 04/05/2012 by sykotek
The Dooms Blue Sparx Gems: 600
#9 Posted: 05:51:52 04/05/2012
How about making a new villain? Kaos is fun, but perhaps something else could be used...Ooh! How about you try to make a classic Spyro villain in Skylanders style, whether you make him a hero or not is up to the contest, and it allows for some good art and some good stuff.
---
Skylanders: smiliesmiliesmilie smiliesmiliesmilie smiliesmiliesmilie smiliesmilie smilie smiliesmiliesmilie smiliesmiliesmilie smiliesmilie
Skylanders needed: smilie smilie smilie smilie
#10 Posted: 05:58:11 04/05/2012 | Topic Creator
The problem with age groups is the sheer amount of prizes I'd have to offer up and after helping a lot of friends and family and other forum members the stocks are running low.
---
#11 Posted: 06:01:33 04/05/2012
Heck, maybe the contest could be a "write a short story featuring Skylanders!" It encourages creativity, and it could be anything, a poem, a haiku, or even a little one-shot fanfiction.
---
Skylanders: smiliesmiliesmilie smiliesmiliesmilie smiliesmiliesmilie smiliesmilie smilie smiliesmiliesmilie smiliesmiliesmilie smiliesmilie
exosquad Gold Sparx Gems: 2667
#12 Posted: 06:40:32 04/05/2012
draw or sculpt your own skylander. see what people make into a skylander.a sculpting contest would be super fun, using clay, or mesh, steel, pipe cleaners, you know, whatever someone can sculpt. or maybe whos got the best custom painted skylander. thats two really good ideas. i think.
---
I am going to have 1 of everything. someday...
#13 Posted: 06:44:38 04/05/2012
The problem with a contest like that is that not many people custom their skylanders, and they don't have the supplies to custom-paint or sculpt.

Another idea is A drawn Skylanders Crossover. Basically draw a Skylander interacting with any other character. For example: Stealth Elf and Naruto, or Wrecking Ball and Kirby.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 06:45:06 04/05/2012 by The Dooms
Osbor Blue Sparx Gems: 710
#14 Posted: 13:37:06 04/05/2012
something simple would be a "make a comic using your figures" type thing. it only requires a camera and access to MS paint, nothing demanding, and everyone starts off on the same footing.
Graz73 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3215
#15 Posted: 14:20:11 04/05/2012
I like the Haiku idea. Or what about just something simple like a random drawing?
---
For Trade: EyeSmall, Punch Pop Fizz, Lava Barf Eruptor(black): PM to deal!
Kurui Ripto Gems: 191
#16 Posted: 14:48:29 04/05/2012
Art contest ftw! If it's anything to do with writing, I'll just be screwed T_T
azz01 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3172
#17 Posted: 15:22:46 04/05/2012
Quote: The Dooms
Heck, maybe the contest could be a "write a short story featuring Skylanders!" It encourages creativity, and it could be anything, a poem, a haiku, or even a little one-shot fanfiction.

I like that creative writing idea it would be nice to see what people could make up and it would not have you to worry about if there artwork was taken from someone else
---
Call me the penguin man for that is who I am. Also stan LOOΠΔ!
ace Gold Sparx Gems: 2982
#18 Posted: 20:42:52 04/05/2012
How about making a new villain? Kaos is fun, but perhaps something else could be used...Ooh! How about you try to make a classic Spyro villain in Skylanders style, whether you make him a hero or not is up to the contest, and it allows for some good art and some good stuff.

i really like this idea smilie and i think the age group thing could work, instead of having a 2nd and 3rd place prize you could just have 3 age (or skill) groups with one grand prize.
---
Praise Helix!!!
exosquad Gold Sparx Gems: 2667
#19 Posted: 21:03:40 04/05/2012
The problem with a contest like that is that not many people custom their skylanders, and they don't have the supplies to custom-paint or sculpt.

Another idea is A drawn Skylanders Crossover. Basically draw a Skylander interacting with any other character. For example: Stealth Elf and Naruto, or Wrecking Ball and Kirby.

go to the wal mart, spend 5 dollars on paint and brushes. TADA you have the supplies to paint a skylander. sculpting one, same deal, go to walmart, go into the crafts, look for playdoh or model magic, tada, again ablity to sculpt.
also i think there are more people here that are custom painting their skylanders than you think. its getting pretty popular
---
I am going to have 1 of everything. someday...
chained skull Gold Sparx Gems: 2971
#20 Posted: 22:19:48 04/05/2012
Well the only thing it could be is someting other than a draw your own skylander beacuse
We do use the computor so our stuff is limeted so got no other ideas smilie
---
What do I even write here? Lmao
ryry829 Green Sparx Gems: 492
#21 Posted: 23:09:36 04/05/2012
maybe you can have a create a storyline for a skylanders. describe things like the plot and the final battle with kaos.
---
Hsmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
Wsmiliesmilie
#22 Posted: 23:24:49 04/05/2012

this is a big nono because litterally, a walnut can write better than me
---
Hsmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
Wsmiliesmilie
LevanJess Emerald Sparx Gems: 3516
#23 Posted: 23:32:10 04/05/2012
The Haiku idea is a good one IMO.
In that respect, some kind of poem for a certain Skylander or just any Skylander would be pretty cool too.
Or maybe a very short story (fanfiction, whatever).

yeah these have all been mentioned before but i'm just giving my two cents
---
but i love it all smooth
#24 Posted: 23:37:37 04/05/2012
may i repeat myself WALNUT
---
Wsmiliesmilie
LevanJess Emerald Sparx Gems: 3516
#25 Posted: 23:39:22 04/05/2012
yeah i read your post, but you're not the only one in the contest nor the only one with no writing skills, lol

PS: Why don't you people not good with writing check this topic out?
//forum.darkspyro.net/spyro/viewposts.php?topic=51637
Has good advice for beginners..
---
but i love it all smooth
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 23:40:48 04/05/2012 by LevanJess
ale Red Sparx Gems: 94
#26 Posted: 23:40:14 04/05/2012
Whether it is visual art or written art, the so-called ringer can always steal the show. Certainly in a create your own skylander contest one could leverage both skill sets. It is not a contest unless someone can steal the show. With the Frito Lay promotion one could argue that those who buy more chips or have more access to phone lines have a greater chance to win. In a writing contest or drawing one, the winners should be in theory the best. If we're talking equality in the form of entry, the contest would have to become much more basic.

If art is on the table, it could allow for use of any medium desired. Create a new level could easily be expressed in cake form for instance, perhaps someone will make one out of blocks?

For writing I cannot help, but think that open-ended could be the most chaotic and fun. Perhaps a story contest based on a story starter? The haiku someone mentioned seems like a lot of fun. With a guide to how to make a haiku it could definitely work.

The simplest form of contest I think we can all participate on a pretty basic level would be a caption contest. The facebook page for Skylanders runs these and they are common in print magazines. The organizer presents a picture and people are asked to either insert words in the characters mouths or just caption what is going on.

As far as exposure one could do something simple as asking participants to change their forum signatures to reflect back on the contest. If doing official characters in an art contest one could see about posting them on facebook for a wider audience or cross posting them to a gallery of Skylanders creations if one exists.
#27 Posted: 23:42:40 04/05/2012
yea i gues yor right. but i really want to win this so i can make fun of my friend because he bought that off of ebay from a scalper and he's rubbing them in my face so i want to get back at him by getting them for free.
---
Wsmiliesmilie
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 18:58:31 05/05/2012 by ryry829
Zookie Pookie Blue Sparx Gems: 988
#28 Posted: 00:25:19 05/05/2012
contest should draw two old skylanders fighting to the death for ultimate skylander ...."there can only be one skylander"
1madcow Red Sparx Gems: 73
#29 Posted: 04:26:26 05/05/2012
I just want to say i loooooooovvvvvvvveeeee how nobody can find these rare skylanders and nof of the gamestops in my area code (thats about 9 of them) has even seen them in stock, nor has any wal mart target toys r us or best buy in my neck of the woods, but the gamstop employee has enough not only to finish his collection but to give a bunch away as a prize just sayin
---
smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
Still need- smiliesmiliesmilie
#30 Posted: 04:35:03 05/05/2012
Why not just choose a THEME and let people interpret it through their best medium. And have stuff based on how the theme comes across in their depicted artform. That way artists can be artists, writers can be writers, bakers can be bakers, photographers can be photographers, failers can be failers (like me), and so on =_=
sykotek Yellow Sparx Gems: 1262
#31 Posted: 04:35:52 05/05/2012
@1madcow: The distribution on these aren't standardized nationwide. It's like how I'm looking for the exclusive Target version of Whirlwind, but none of the stores in my area have it, but I don't go cursing the heavens everytime someone rubs it in my face that they have it and bought one from their local Target (and it's happened). ...and even if OP was buying it from the store s/he works at, it's not against the law or against the rules of GameStop either...plus the chances that they work at a store you frequent is just plain astronomical. What I'm trying to say is, it just isn't productive to be jealous, just keep looking and eventually you'll find it.
---
Volcanic Vault World Tour is temporarily on hold...waiting on dwattzdrummer
#32 Posted: 06:11:29 05/05/2012 | Topic Creator
Quote: 1madcow
I just want to say i loooooooovvvvvvvveeeee how nobody can find these rare skylanders and nof of the gamestops in my area code (thats about 9 of them) has even seen them in stock, nor has any wal mart target toys r us or best buy in my neck of the woods, but the gamstop employee has enough not only to finish his collection but to give a bunch away as a prize just sayin

Except I didn't get mine through the store. My store helped me only once with Empire of Ice. I had to hunt down the rest, same as everyone else.
---
#33 Posted: 06:20:03 05/05/2012
@1madcow = Stores around me have jillions of those ones (Whammer shell i think) everyone seems to be looking for.......Its one of the ONLY Skylands I can find around here. I think random places must just have different ones somehow. At least thats what i seem to notice because for me it also feels like, too, that everyone everywhere else has ones I want and here theyre just nonexistent. But i don't get why your mad at someone just because they work at a place that maybe has them and POSSIBLY bought from there (because you really didn't even know if they did or not).
#34 Posted: 08:56:46 05/05/2012 | Topic Creator
Quote: Kurui
@1madcow = Stores around me have jillions of those ones (Whammer shell i think) everyone seems to be looking for.......Its one of the ONLY Skylands I can find around here. I think random places must just have different ones somehow. At least thats what i seem to notice because for me it also feels like, too, that everyone everywhere else has ones I want and here theyre just nonexistent. But i don't get why your mad at someone just because they work at a place that maybe has them and POSSIBLY bought from there (because you really didn't even know if they did or not).

I wish I could have bought them there! I would have gotten my employee discount. smilie
---
Iloveninjas Blue Sparx Gems: 652
#35 Posted: 16:10:20 05/05/2012
I am an artist and I did not win... I did not even place
---
(smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie)(smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie)(smiliesmiliesmiliesmilie)(smiliesmiliesmilie)(smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie)(smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie)(smiliesmiliesmilie)(smiliesmiliesmilie)
1madcow Red Sparx Gems: 73
#36 Posted: 16:11:23 05/05/2012
the last time i bought anything from a gamestop was dragons peak, I made made my rounds calling stores that day and when i found it I had them hold the pack for me. So between the time I had called and the time i got there the manager of the store had seen that they had gotten only 1 dragons peak in and wanted to buy it when he found out it was on hold, and when i got there to pick it up he wouldnt even speak to me, he just stood behind the counter and glared at me, no while i enjoy the game and my ocd says i need to collect all of the skylanders, I really am collecting these for my 5 year old son who loves them, and for that manager not even an employee to act in such a way is just crap, so maybe im a lil bitter and for that, Stormbringer i appologize
---
smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
Still need- smiliesmiliesmilie
Millerman7669 Blue Sparx Gems: 581
#37 Posted: 16:16:10 05/05/2012
My 7 year old son says have the contest describing who is the best Skylander and why. For example, he says Camo is the best Skylander because he looks cool, he's strong and he makes watermelons and my son likes to eat watermelons. I didn't say he'd win the contest but at least he tried.
#38 Posted: 16:19:07 05/05/2012
Quote: Millerman7669
My 7 year old son says have the contest describing who is the best Skylander and why. For example, he says Camo is the best Skylander because he looks cool, he's strong and he makes watermelons and my son likes to eat watermelons. I didn't say he'd win the contest but at least he tried.

That is so unbearably CUTE. xD he SHOULD win lol.
#39 Posted: 17:09:00 05/05/2012
thats a good idea
---
Wsmiliesmilie
#40 Posted: 18:17:26 05/05/2012 | Topic Creator
LOL every type of contest idea so far has 1 to 2 votes. I guess age is the prominent issue here, being that the youngins might get bowled over by those older. The design your own skylander contest had some epic art, (yes you too Iloveninjas) and I was tore between a lot of entries.

I'd like to sort out the details of this contest and get that cool prize into someones hands. smilie

EDIT

I love art, whether it be reading, drawings, colorings, clay etc. However I'm guessing for this to be as far as it is, I should just put everyone's name in a hat and pick two out. smilie
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 18:21:50 05/05/2012 by StormbringerGT
#41 Posted: 18:42:15 05/05/2012
werent there 3 in the picture
---
Wsmiliesmilie
#42 Posted: 18:49:38 05/05/2012 | Topic Creator
One's for me, one's for a friend that lives nearby and the other is a prize. smilie
---
#43 Posted: 18:50:29 05/05/2012
so what will 2nd place get
---
Wsmiliesmilie
#44 Posted: 18:54:11 05/05/2012 | Topic Creator
I got a hand painted silver Dino-Rang.
---
andreas20012001 Blue Sparx Gems: 674
#45 Posted: 18:55:23 05/05/2012
lol !!
---
my youtube channel : http://www.youtube.com/user/andreasgoethals?feature=mhee
#46 Posted: 18:57:13 05/05/2012
cool. Dino-Rang is great.
maybe for the contest we can say why we think we should get the prize
---
Wsmiliesmilie
#47 Posted: 19:02:07 05/05/2012 | Topic Creator
Sorry this is a bad photo I'll take a better one later. I have to stop taking my pictures at night. smilie

[User Posted Image]
---
#48 Posted: 19:03:04 05/05/2012
that looks cool it looks like polished stone a little bit
---
Wsmiliesmilie
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 19:04:50 05/05/2012 by ryry829
#49 Posted: 19:06:12 05/05/2012 | Topic Creator
Quote: ryry829
that looks cool it looks like polished stone a little bit

Thanks, I only own one legit silver skylander, however I took a few hours matching the paint and side by side the paint (I think is spot on)

I figured I'd custom do a silver set and a gold set for those people who like the look but want to save some cash. I mean they look the same in game anyway right?
---
#50 Posted: 19:08:00 05/05/2012
did you hand paint that
EDIT
and yes it does look the same in the game
---
Wsmiliesmilie
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 19:11:40 05/05/2012 by ryry829
Page 1 of 3 | Next | Last
1 2 3

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me