Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Skylanders Toys and Merchandise > The Definitive Full Skylanders Collection Check List
Page 1 of 1
The Definitive Full Skylanders Collection Check List [CLOSED]
t7gga Yellow Sparx Gems: 1726
#1 Posted: 11:47:44 29/04/2012 | Topic Creator
the check list below is intended for anyone that would like to collect one of each item variant that interacts with the game and has been intentionally released.

package variations and production line errors have intentionally been excluded.

*** SKYLANDERS ***

AIR
Lightning Rod []
Sonic Boom []
Warnado [] Glow in Dark []
Whirlwind []

EARTH
Bash [] Blue [] Legendary []
Dino-Rang [] Silver []
Prism Break []
Terrafin []

FIRE
Ignitor []
Eruptor [] Silver []
Flameslinger [] Gold []
Sunburn []

LIFE
Camo []
Stealth Elf [] Crystal []
Stump Smash [] Flocked []
Zook []

MAGIC
Double Trouble []
Spyro [] Chrome [] Dark [] Legendary []
Voodood []
Wrecking Ball [] Glow in Dark []

TECH
Boomer [] Silver []
Drill Sergeant [] Gold []
Drobot []
Trigger Happy [] Legendary []

UNDEAD
Chop-Chop [] Gold [] Legendary []
Cynder [] Crystal [] Metallic []
Ghost Roaster []
Hex [] Pearl []

WATER
Gill Grunt []
Slam Bam []
Wham-Shell [] Crystal []
Zap [] Glow in Dark []

*** MAGIC ITEMS ***

Anvil Rain []
Darklight Crypt []
Dragon's Peak []
Empire of Ice []
Ghost Pirate Swords []
Healing Elixir []
Hidden Treasure []
Pirate Seas []
Sky-Iron Shield
Sparx the Dragonfly []
Time Twist Hourglass []
Volcanic Vault []
Winged Boots []

*** SIDEKICKS ***

Gill Runt []
Terrabite []
Trigger Snappy []
Whisper Elf []
Edited 5 times - Last edited at 11:37:21 10/06/2012 by t7gga
AJAwesome Platinum Sparx Gems: 6314
#2 Posted: 11:53:26 29/04/2012
You forgot sidekicks.
---
I'm a girl. My name is Reese. :3
#3 Posted: 12:07:01 29/04/2012 | Topic Creator
^ added, thanks
Tashiji Yellow Sparx Gems: 1453
#4 Posted: 16:08:59 29/04/2012
I understand most package variations, but I don't think you can exclude the Walmart/Target Whirlwind and Drill Sergeant. Since eBay considers them a different thing, and people pay for them like a different thing, it stands to reason they should perhaps be here too.
#5 Posted: 16:45:23 29/04/2012 | Topic Creator
the reason that packaging has been excluded is because once the packaging is removed it is still the same skylander inside no matter where it was purchased or whether it was in a triple, single pack or had some exclusive sticker on.

the walmart and target exclusives released in the usa were released as exclusives in the uk at asda and tesco but without any indication on the packaging. still exactly the same skylander inside as those with stickers on released in the usa.

... the purpose of the list is to check off one of each item variant that interacts with the game. packaging does not interact with the game.
Kirby_rules Ripto Gems: 504
#6 Posted: 16:46:51 29/04/2012
They aren't exculsive anymore...
GameMaster78 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3321
#7 Posted: 02:15:11 30/04/2012
Quote: t7gga
the reason that packaging has been excluded is because once the packaging is removed it is still the same skylander inside no matter where it was purchased or whether it was in a triple, single pack or had some exclusive sticker on.

the walmart and target exclusives released in the usa were released as exclusives in the uk at asda and tesco but without any indication on the packaging. still exactly the same skylander inside as those with stickers on released in the usa.

... the purpose of the list is to check off one of each item variant that interacts with the game. packaging does not interact with the game.

Those Skylanders inside are variants. Whirlwind has an un airbrushed base, while Drill Dergeant is a deeper red and his base is like a shiny onyx (ie no silver cogs).

However, I can't help but feel your statement here is a double-standard, if you still choose to not include them. You say you don't include them due to them being the same Skylander should you take the figure out of the package? Well, the same can be said of all variants, minus Dark Spyro and the legendaries. Open them up, and they are still the same figure regardless of color or packaging.

However, I think Tash really meant to say that the figures inside are variants when compared to their mass released versions. I noted the differences above, but would be glad to take pics if you need further proof of the differences in the actual figures themselves. smilie
---
Wii U: GameMaster1178, XBL: GameMaster1178, PSN: megax28
Kirby_rules Ripto Gems: 504
#8 Posted: 02:32:35 30/04/2012
Oh,it's Sparx Dragonfly....not Spakprk's the Dragonfly.
chaosworrier Yellow Sparx Gems: 1555
#9 Posted: 03:04:15 30/04/2012
GM, I see where you are coming from but I think it should be tempered with the premise that different batches of many SL figs have been different.

For example, Stump Smashes made in the initial wave have more detailed paint jobs than now (in general).
---
Soylent Green is People!
Definitive Doom Spreadsheet...of Doom: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7oq1...ers%20List.xlsm
#10 Posted: 03:50:20 30/04/2012
These are blatantly different.

Depper red on DS, plus a glossy onyx base, and his gold is also deeper. My second DS, and my daughters DS are both mass retail versions. They have painted cogs, instead of glossy black bases.

It's not a coincidence that my sons DS, as well as mine, both have the glossy black bases. Both were torn open from packs that had only at stickers on them.

As for Whirlwind. I haven't seen a single all white cloud base, in the 3 months and hundred of mass release Whirlwinds I've laid my eyes on. Not one single one, and I've seen a **** load of them.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 03:51:26 30/04/2012 by GameMaster78
Hazard335 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1435
#11 Posted: 07:53:42 30/04/2012
im pretty sure i saw a few drill sargent in non-exclusive packaging with only slightly painted silver gears.
i dont think the "exclusive" packaging means anything with the differences in paint jobs,
its just how things have changed since they first came out, and not limited to just Whirl and Drill.
if he was to add all the differences in "paint-jobs" to his list i think it would end up being ridiculously long.
Themrmusicman14 Blue Sparx Gems: 939
#12 Posted: 09:07:44 30/04/2012
Its true that they are different because i have the exclusive drill sergeant and i saw the exclusive whirlwind before skylanders was wildly popular and there was a colour difference
---
Champions: smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
#13 Posted: 10:16:08 30/04/2012
I just looked at mine and both my Drill Sarge and my Whirlwind were exclusives - neither match the descriptions of yours, sorry.
---
Soylent Green is People!
Definitive Doom Spreadsheet...of Doom: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7oq1...ers%20List.xlsm
xerokills Yellow Sparx Gems: 1181
#14 Posted: 14:14:18 30/04/2012
I'm gonna say, that I have found both of the Drill Sarges at Target...ones painted with the silver cogs and the others with the onyx cog and different red colored paint (Barely noticeable really)

This isn't exclusive, it's just a paint variant of a later run probably.
---
"I'm disgusted, and repulsed, and...I can't look away..."
#15 Posted: 14:35:58 30/04/2012
Quote: xerokills
I'm gonna say, that I have found both of the Drill Sarges at Target...ones painted with the silver cogs and the others with the onyx cog and different red colored paint (Barely noticeable really)

This isn't exclusive, it's just a paint variant of a later run probably.

Exactly. Running changes are still variants.

I have two Transformer Animated Arcee exclusives from Toys R Us. That toy had a running change, which made the original worth a lot more.

The original Drill Sarge, the one with the black base, was the first version to come out. The one with the gears colored the same way as Drobot, Boomer, and Trigg's bases, showed up when wave 3 hit retail.

I don't know if Tash meant what he meant in terms of packaging or the variant character itself. I'm leaning toward the assumption he was really telling Tig that they should be added, because they are variants (or running changes to the extremely anal).
---
xerokills Yellow Sparx Gems: 1181
#16 Posted: 21:24:30 30/04/2012
I guess it's more about print runs. I would love to just sit and watch their assembly lines for one day to see what the heck is going in in their production. I guess I have an idea in my head of what they are doing, but reality is probably it's just sloppy manufacturing that is only loosely inspected on a very limited basis. I guess I imagine more of a sweatshop than a highly efficient company. I just picture a Nike Factory with overworked kids making these... smilie

Someone needs to book a tour through their manufacturing plant. smilie
---
"I'm disgusted, and repulsed, and...I can't look away..."
#17 Posted: 22:22:07 30/04/2012
Given that mine were in the initial phase and exclusives, it can't logically be considered a runNING change, merely batch difference.
---
Soylent Green is People!
#18 Posted: 22:56:51 30/04/2012
Only due to your exclusives, Chaos?

I mean, that's fine, if you're of the mindset that thinks, "if it surrounds me and my life it's absolute," but for me living in such a huge country, and seeing a 30 mile wide city in 8 directions, with a bajillion Walmarts, all of which the exclusive was 100% onyx base, I can't say that it was merely a batch difference. It wasn't until 3 months after, when the mass retail version came out, did I ever see a painted base, with a lighter shade of red and a darker shade of gold (exclusive is darker red, lighter gold).

Heck, I can show you further proof on the matter.

All I need to do, is whip out 3 sealed Sarges. One exclusive, two mass. Both mass will "coincidentally" (I don't believe in coincidence) be brighter red, darker gold, with painted base, while the exclusive will be onyx base, darker red, lighter gold. THEN, I can grab my son's DS (exclusive) and daughter's DS (mass), as well as my "Path A" DS (exclusive) and "Path B" DS (mass) and the exclusives will look the same as the sealed exclusive, while the mass versions look the same as my Path B DS and daughter's DS.

Not tryin' to fight with ya, man, but it is a tad bit arrogant for anyone to think it's only a batch difference and not a running change, and that it would be illogical to think otherwise, based on ONE collection alone.

I can say that lately, I've been seeing exclusive versions of DS, in mass retail stores. I've been seeing them moreso now, than the version with the painted cogs. If that's the case, and the painted cog ones are going bye-bye, that's a running change. In both cases however, there are two different versions of Whirlwind and Drill Sergeant. That means there are variants of those characters, due to the consistency of the differences in paint apps and airbrushing, unlike someone like Ignitor, who has a multitude of different color flame-face paint apps.

Variants are variants. Silver boomer or painted boomer. Two different versions. Solid white-base Whirlwind or airbrushed swirl cloud-base Whirlwind. Two different versions. Same with Drill. Brighter red, darker gold, silver cogs or darker red, brighter gold, black base. Two different versions.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 22:59:20 30/04/2012 by GameMaster78
#19 Posted: 23:07:42 30/04/2012
The point is that is only takes a single case to disprove a hypothesis.

The exclusives that went to USA look to be different to the exclusives that went to places like Oz.

They were obviously created in the same wave but probably different batches.

The fact that they were created in the same wave disproves the theory that exclusives were made to look a bit different and that there was a running variation. Variation, yes - batch level, not running.

Please don't get defensive. All theories are good until disproved; they don't make the initial hypothesis crap, simply erroneous.
---
Soylent Green is People!
#20 Posted: 11:24:42 10/06/2012
Crome spyro should be added to this.
#21 Posted: 11:37:56 10/06/2012 | Topic Creator
Quote: Hazard335
Crome spyro should be added to this.

thanks for the reminder, added
sykotek Yellow Sparx Gems: 1262
#22 Posted: 18:26:30 10/06/2012
The Target Whirlwind and Walmart Drill Sergeant variants are missing from the list.
---
Volcanic Vault World Tour is temporarily on hold...waiting on dwattzdrummer
#23 Posted: 18:38:14 10/06/2012 | Topic Creator
Quote: sykotek
The Target Whirlwind and Walmart Drill Sergeant variants are missing from the list.

i'm not getting into this one again but long story short it is intended as a character check list therefore ... "package variations and production line errors have intentionally been excluded."
#24 Posted: 18:45:08 10/06/2012
I didn't read what anyone else wrote, but they're not package variations though, I've opened mine, they're different. Nor are they production line errors..., but whatevs, it's your list...just not quite so definitive without them.
---
Deandria Green Sparx Gems: 304
#25 Posted: 19:03:51 10/06/2012
I don't know about the Whirlwind but the exclusive style Drill Serge paint variant has been found in non-exclusive packaging and in non-WalMart stores... it's just a minor paint variation like the difference between the 3DS Ignitor and the single/triple packed version. They are valuable to hardcore collectors but the difference is not intentional.
---
Own: smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie
Really Want: smilie smilie
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 19:04:13 10/06/2012 by Deandria
#26 Posted: 19:08:27 10/06/2012 | Topic Creator
^ exactly smilie
#27 Posted: 19:13:11 10/06/2012
^ The point is, there is a difference between exclusive and mass retail versions not where you can find them. Let's not pretend this list isn't for the hardcore collectors, I mean, I don't even have most of the variant figures! ..., but that's not a good reason to exclude them. I have them in front of me and I don't think the colors are that minor of a difference, you can clearly see they're different, so why leave them out...people that bother collecting all of them would want those two anyway.

Here, I fixed it for you:

Quote:
*** SKYLANDERS ***

AIR
Lightning Rod []
Sonic Boom []
Warnado [] Glow in Dark []
Whirlwind [] Target Exclusive version []

EARTH
Bash [] Blue [] Legendary []
Dino-Rang [] Silver []
Prism Break []
Terrafin []

FIRE
Ignitor [] 3DS []
Eruptor [] Silver []
Flameslinger [] Gold []
Sunburn []

LIFE
Camo []
Stealth Elf [] Crystal []
Stump Smash [] Flocked []
Zook []

MAGIC
Double Trouble []
Spyro [] Chrome [] Dark [] Legendary []
Voodood []
Wrecking Ball [] Glow in Dark []

TECH
Boomer [] Silver []
Drill Sergeant [] Gold [] Walmart Exclusive version [] Red []
Drobot []
Trigger Happy [] Legendary []

UNDEAD
Chop-Chop [] Gold [] Legendary []
Cynder [] Crystal [] Metallic []
Ghost Roaster []
Hex [] Pearl []

WATER
Gill Grunt []
Slam Bam []
Wham-Shell [] Crystal []
Zap [] Glow in Dark []

*** MAGIC ITEMS ***

Anvil Rain []
Darklight Crypt []
Dragon's Peak []
Empire of Ice []
Ghost Pirate Swords []
Healing Elixir []
Hidden Treasure []
Pirate Seas []
Sky-Iron Shield []
Sparx the Dragonfly []
Time Twist Hourglass []
Volcanic Vault []
Winged Boots []

*** SIDEKICKS ***

Gill Runt []
Terrabite []
Trigger Snappy []
Whisper Elf []
---
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 20:25:33 06/09/2012 by sykotek
Deandria Green Sparx Gems: 304
#28 Posted: 19:21:22 10/06/2012
Quote: t7gga
the check list below is intended for anyone that would like to collect one of each item variant that interacts with the game and has been intentionally released.

The OP is making a list of intentional variants, it's his list, he decides what goes on it. Sorry, but that's how it goes. If you don't like it make your own thread.

I do understand your point, they are different and there's no denying but they do not fall into the category of intentional releases and that's the list t7gga wanted to make.

I just wonder how many people who consider the store exclusives as variants actually consider the 2 different Ignitors as seperate versions... because they are by the same logic.
---
Own: smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie
Really Want: smilie smilie
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 19:23:00 10/06/2012 by Deandria
#29 Posted: 19:44:13 10/06/2012 | Topic Creator
ok, i will briefly get into this discussion again ...

in reality the world does not end at the borders of the usa.

in reality the target and walmart "usa exclusives" were in reality both released as "uk exclusives" at tesco and asda.

as has already been kindly pointed out the paint variations on the "exclusives" are in probability down to being different product batches and not intentional changes.

it has also been kindly pointed out that in reality exactly the same "exclusive" paint variations have been available in other stores other than the "exclusive" stores.

... and yes, at the end of the day, my list, my definitions ... so nah smilie
#30 Posted: 00:58:03 11/06/2012
Tig, I tend to think people like to try and not include what they don't own. People will form whatever excuse they can, in order to make it so not owning what they should, doesn't matter.

Case in point, those who don't own Target Whirlwind and Walmart Drill Sergeant. Those who grab the collector's items when it comes to Skylanders, need those because they are collector's items. Anyone who says otherwise, are the ones who don't own them, just so they can make it look like they own everything currently available.
---
#31 Posted: 03:42:44 11/06/2012
i can say that i own the target whirl and walmart drill, and dont count them as variants.
and im glad there not on t7gga's list for the reasons he stated.
i could be wrong, but wasn't there other skylanders with paint variations as well?
i remember ignitors face was one. why arnt people wanting these on the list as well?
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 03:47:58 11/06/2012 by Hazard335
#32 Posted: 04:30:23 11/06/2012
i could be wrong, but wasn't there other skylanders with paint variations as well?
i remember ignitors face was one. why arnt people wanting these on the list as well?

They were merely one-off accidents and not variants. If you examine any two figs of the same char next to each you will almost certainly find variations due to production control (or lack thereof).
---
Soylent Green is People!
dbaez2 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1242
#33 Posted: 05:14:14 11/06/2012
i can say that i own the target whirl and walmart drill, and dont count them as variants.
and im glad there not on t7gga's list for the reasons he stated.

I agree. My son has the Target exclusive Drill Sergeant, while I have the run of the mill version. When I compare the two there are noticeable differences, there is no arguing that. I have seen later releases of Eruptor that are a darker red. Stealth Elf's skin that is a darker green & the hair a darker blue. I've even seen a Dino-Rang with a black unibrow. The list goes on. But at the end of the day I do not consider them different variants.

Up to a week ago the only variants I had were the Flocked Stump Smash and a Crystal Stealth Elf. The Skylander bug bit me even harder and I am in the process of collecting all the other variants. However, I will not be looking for the Target and Walmart exclusives. They don't seem to be that much of a change for me to consider them a separate collection character. So, when I obtain the golds, silvers, GITDs, crystals/clear/ice, and convention exclusives I will consider it a 100% collection (not counting Sidekicks). Everyone can argue both sides of this, but that's just my personal take on the matter. I won't feel that I am missing anything if I don't have those two.

To each their own - I say let's put this to rest and enjoy what we all have in our collections.
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 05:26:49 11/06/2012 by dbaez2
#34 Posted: 05:24:33 11/06/2012
I got the exclusives when they first came out in Oz and the differences were not as significant - different batch arrived here.
---
Soylent Green is People!
Tashiji Yellow Sparx Gems: 1453
#35 Posted: 05:51:05 11/06/2012
The difference between Walmart and Target exclusives, and standard paint variations or misprints, is that the former are definitely considered variants from a financial perspective. You'll have a tough time selling, say, Zook in Camo's box, or a Bash with his eye on his cheek, for more than retail price. On the other hand, Target Whirlwinds and Walmart Drill Sergeants sell for hugely inflated prices already, and frankly, I defy anyone to come up with a reason why this will diminish and not just intensify from here. We can debate however long we want over whether or not they are variants, but there's no debating that they are collector's items, regardless of our personal opinions of whether they should be or not.

That being said, after thinking this over, I actually am somewhat in agreement over not putting them with the real variants on this list. They're about the same as the E3 2011 Gill Grunt, Trigger Happy and Spyro single packs, in that they do exist, they are different, they definitely command higher prices than the ones in standard packaging, but yet they are obviously not the same thing as, say, a gold.
#36 Posted: 06:28:23 11/06/2012
I've never seen an E3 pre-release Skylander figure to compare them to regular starters, so I wouldn't know if they're the same figure, but I'd take the word of someone who has. If I wanted to have the most complete collection I could, I certainly wouldn't merely dismiss what others are saying in regards to what is a variant.

In actuality, you can very easily identify the Target exclusive Whirlwind and Walmart exclusive Drill Sergeant inside and outside of the packaging as having a glossy white base in Whirlwind's case and a burgundy finish with a glossy black base in Drill Sergeant's case respectively. If you purchase one in package that explicitly mentions those companies, it'll have those characteristics.

It's also easy to spot the differences in the regular retail versions, dusty matte-airbrushed base for Whirlwind and ketchup red finish with silver cogs for Drill Sergeant. As for commanding higher prices, that's all in the eye of the beholder, certainly exclusive Drill Sergeant, with it's limited release in mass retail should not be worth more than the asking price of a regular Skylander figure, but with Target Whirlwind, it's a little more up in the air since they're discontinued and haven't appeared with that variation again. Good news is, most people don't know it's potentially worth more than regular Skylanders, so I've had no trouble finding and helping others find them for reasonable prices when listings go up.

@t7gga: I don't want to argue with you about how you view your collection, it's not my place and it's not like I'd ever personally try to get 100% of the Skylanders anyway, but I'll leave my post above with the additions in case for those who do view them as variants. You can, of course, continue to ignore everyone that has been saying they are and view them as not if that is your wish.

Also, since I've heard it mentioned a few times,
What is the differences between a 3DS Ignitor and mass retail Ignitor anyway? Can anyone explain or provide pictures?
---
#37 Posted: 06:54:15 11/06/2012
I have the following delineation - the exclusive Drill Sarge and Whirlwind are not variants as, batch colouration differences aside (which were not even consistent for all exclusives, viz a viz Oz ones) they are not different. However, that does not mean that if still in their packaging, they are not more collectible as the packaging is not available (in store) any more.
---
Soylent Green is People!
#38 Posted: 07:58:59 11/06/2012 | Topic Creator
Quote: GameMaster69
Tig, I tend to think people like to try and not include what they don't own. People will form whatever excuse they can, in order to make it so not owning what they should, doesn't matter.

Case in point, I don't own E3 2011 Gill Grunt, Trigger Happy or Spyro single packs. Those who grab the collector's items when it comes to Skylanders, need those because they are collector's items. Anyone who says otherwise, are the ones who don't own them, just so they can make it look like they own everything currently available.

... yet you still keep insisting that your sealed in packaging collection is 100% complete

and for the record i do have the asda and tesco "exclusives" but they are the same as the widely available versions apart from the paint batch difference; they didn't even have any "exclusive" marking on the packages in the uk.
spyroflame0487 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3866
#39 Posted: 13:34:05 11/06/2012
Just in case anyone was wondering:

[User Posted Image]
Here's the 2 Whirlwinds. One on the right is the original Target Exclusive one purchased on the first week of release. The one in the box is one purchased a few weeks ago, non exclusive.

[User Posted Image]
And these are the Drill Sarge variants.
The one in the middle is the new regular version, and the one on the far left is the original Walmart version. This one, if anything is much more "Different" than the Whirlwind, since it's base is unpainted, and the paint is much more glossier.

While I own both of them, I don't really consider them "variants" in the vein of the golds or silvers for the same reasons t7gga listed. I'd still consider getting boxed versions of them because of the sticker, but arguably there's really nothing that radically different about them. If Whirlwind was red and Drill Sarge was blue, then I'd reconsider.
---
Why did Uncle Peter have an interdimentional portal in his attic?
Spyro's entire collection! [Updated June 28th 15]
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me