Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
Page 1 of 4 | Next | Last
1 2 3 4
Mispackaged Skylanders. [CLOSED]
GameMaster78 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3321
#1 Posted: 21:17:34 21/04/2012 | Topic Creator
Are they doing this on purpose? I saw someone post a pic of a Prism Break in Wham-Shell packaging.

I saw another as well, but couldn't remember what it was.

Well, I ask, because I found me one of these.

Now, before I post a pic, some info about mine. Mine seems to not only be a different character in a pack, but mine is also in foreign packaging. It has that odd peg shape, and the back is very different from the normal US packaging, in that it has tons of flags from different countries on it.

However, I know someone didn't tamper with it at all, because this came out of a case a lady broke open right infront of me.

So, without further ado, here is my mispackaged Skylander -

[User Posted Image]

So, maybe someone can clarify this for me. Someone posted a pic of another character, other than Prism Break in a Wham-Shell package, on this forum. Who was the character? What was the actual character packaging? Is there a link to that topic, because I forget which one it is.
---
Wii U: GameMaster1178, XBL: GameMaster1178, PSN: megax28
ramster1221 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1957
#2 Posted: 21:19:29 21/04/2012
Thats awesome Gamemaster.
trentd78 Ripto Gems: 914
#3 Posted: 21:19:38 21/04/2012
it was camo in a zook box.
#4 Posted: 21:22:00 21/04/2012 | Topic Creator
Ah, now I remember. Thanks for the reminder, Trent.

So, do you people think they are doing this on purpose?
---
#5 Posted: 21:23:30 21/04/2012
Don't think so. Just like the release of Wave 5 early just a mistake.
Dunkin Yellow Sparx Gems: 1066
#6 Posted: 21:26:38 21/04/2012
Wow thats actually quite awesome. Nice find, though I don't suspect its on purpose. Must be just a manufacturing error. smilie
---
I <3 all Spyro games!smilie
#7 Posted: 21:28:30 21/04/2012
LIke with my Hotwheels Ive ran into the same problem of cars being in the wrong packages.
WhirlWindLover Green Sparx Gems: 318
#8 Posted: 21:33:26 21/04/2012
I've seen a few L-Bashes in a single Bash package, too bad I was out of cash...
---
I read on mytholgy, dragons and griffins. Unicorns too!
smilie Twists of Fury! smilie
bisylizzie Emerald Sparx Gems: 3913
#9 Posted: 21:36:51 21/04/2012
Yeah, I'm seeing this as with anything like this, sometimes figures are put onto the wrong backing by accident - for example if they seal them in "waves" of each character, then if they had either an extra character/backing then when it gets sealed, the wrong one is on there. It's just a manufacturing error, and there is very little that they can do about it, really
#10 Posted: 21:42:26 21/04/2012 | Topic Creator
What I find odd, though, is that this has only been happening since wave 5.

I have never seen people mentioning this, nor have I seen it myself, with any wave but wave 5.

I mean, Activision could be doing this on purpose, like Hasbro likes to make simple variants, like Spire-man being in his package upside down. Even on the new Marvel Legends, Iron Man could be blue instead of red and gold.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 21:43:00 21/04/2012 by GameMaster78
Astrail Green Sparx Gems: 194
#11 Posted: 22:00:03 21/04/2012
What I'm finding more baffling than the wrongly packaged Skylander is the fact you've managed to get UK packaging there... thats like.... mega wrong there o_o". Don't know if anywhere else in Europe has that same peg, but thats what all my Skylanders have.
Even more so considering if these have only just started appearing since wave 5... the UK still doesn't have Dragon's Peak yet. We certainly don't have wave 5.

Be interesting to see if more crop up... but if they don't... I have a feeling the few that have are going to be somewhat desirable.
---
Missing: smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
Deviantart: gikairan
Ice Dragoness Diamond Sparx Gems: 7896
#12 Posted: 22:19:01 21/04/2012
That's the European style packaging.
AJAwesome Platinum Sparx Gems: 6290
#13 Posted: 22:43:09 21/04/2012
Quote:
I've seen a few L-Bashes in a single Bash package, too bad I was out of cash...
Ha! I told them I saw legendarys in singles!
---
I'm a girl. My name is Reese. :3
StormbringerGT Green Sparx Gems: 162
#14 Posted: 22:56:56 21/04/2012
In order to keep up with with demand they ramped up production remember. Which means these things were put together as quickly as possible and not all of them were assembled in China this time.
---
I'm currently: Awaiting Dragon's Dogma and listening to Old Linkin park. Bite me, their old stuff is better than their new stuff. smilie
#15 Posted: 23:04:30 21/04/2012 | Topic Creator
Well, I saw the lady put these on the pegs. All boxes were normal, except this one.

However, I find it funny that mispackaged Skylanders are showing up a lot in wave 5. It could be their style of variants. Hasbro does this all the time with Transformers and Marvel Universe. I bet Activision/TFB is taking a cue from them, and making more chase variants for people to collect.

What makes this crazy, is it is now impossible to get every variant and misprint, thus ALL of our collections will forever be incomplete. Another thing I find crazy about the misprints, is there could literally only be one of each in the world. So, that Wham Shell package, with Prism Break inside... yeah... that could be the only one. Same for Camo in Zook packaging, and now Wrecking Ball in EU style Double Trouble packaging.
---
Rand O M Gold Sparx Gems: 2223
#16 Posted: 23:59:19 21/04/2012
Activison is just screwing up. Why they are making mistakes, I don't know. Wonder if the people in china are messing up.
OpalOsprey Yellow Sparx Gems: 1127
#17 Posted: 00:15:25 22/04/2012
Is it just me or does it look like the Wrecking Ball in that picture doesn't have the darker paint wash on its face? I believe why there are so many defects now is due to them cutting corners on the production process so they don't check the characters as well as they used to or spend as much time painting and putting them together.
---
Have a Wii U? My ID and Mii name is OpalOsprey. So why don't you add Mii smilie?

"You don't need a reason to help people" ~ Zidane -Final Fantays IX
Rich246 Green Sparx Gems: 243
#18 Posted: 00:52:20 22/04/2012
In my local Wal-Mart I saw a smilie in a smilie box, they have a few of these haha, sadly I didn't have my iPad with me, so I couldn't take a pic.
---
I own:
smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie
spyroflame0487 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3866
#19 Posted: 01:35:23 22/04/2012
I'd highly doubt they were doing it on purpose. It happens in any line, it's just we've happened to see a lot of them, moreso now than previously. I'd attribute it to hurried production to not only get more out, but to get enough stock produced so they can begin working on Giants stuff.

I actually like these errors since they're not intentional. Makes them more special, at least in my eyes, than variants produced on purpose. As I posted in the other thread, I have a lot of error PEZ dispensers in my collection, and I believe I posted the pic of the error Wildvine from the Ben 10 line.
---
Why did Uncle Peter have an interdimentional portal in his attic?
Spyro's entire collection! [Updated June 28th 15]
Dunkin Yellow Sparx Gems: 1066
#20 Posted: 03:16:38 22/04/2012
Heres' one on ebay. "Eruptor" in a "Boomer" box.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Skylan...=item1e6d65f474

These are seeming to become very common...wow, that'd be awesome to find one mysefl. I'm gonna now be on the lookout for this stuff..
---
I <3 all Spyro games!smilie
Kesrael Gold Sparx Gems: 2507
#21 Posted: 03:56:51 22/04/2012
Game, could you post a pic of the back of it? I'd very much like to see the flags. Thanks!
---
I'm Kesrael_V on Lost Islands! Add me!!
SDMajorTom Green Sparx Gems: 224
#22 Posted: 03:57:09 22/04/2012
haha now people are actually going to be paying more attention to those so called boomers sitting on the shelf.
#23 Posted: 04:07:41 22/04/2012 | Topic Creator
See, now this makes me want to hunt misprints more than variants made the way they are on purpose. These are more rare than silver, golds, glows, crystals, and Toy Fairs combined.

So, now we have -

Eruptor in Boomer packaging
Camo in Zook packaging
Prism Break in Wham Shell packaging

and

Wrecking Ball in foreign Double Trouble packaging, uncased from a US assortment.

Here is the back -

[User Posted Image]

From this moment on, no collection will ever be completed, not unless you get -

- 3 silvers
- 3 golds
- 3 crystals
- 3 glows
- 1 blue Bash
- 1 only at Walmart Drill Sergeant
- 1 only at Target Whirlwind
- Toy Fair Cynder
- Toy Fair Hex
- Flocked Stump Smash
- ALL misprints

I am going to keep my eye out for these UBER rare misprints. They smoke the actual variants in rarity.
---
Kesrael Gold Sparx Gems: 2507
#24 Posted: 04:14:54 22/04/2012
^ thanks for the pic of the back. That's really cool. What kind of peg hooks do they use in the UK? I didn't know they were different but I never really thought about it... Guess I'll have to google for a pic.
---
I'm Kesrael_V on Lost Islands! Add me!!
chaosworrier Yellow Sparx Gems: 1555
#25 Posted: 04:18:05 22/04/2012
Given the lack of quality control in a standard Chinese fsctory, the misprint varieties are potentially really high -- for example, you have forgotten the silver Ignitor from some time ago...

Misprints are only valuable in a controlled supply, such as that one rare run of stamps. Where the production line has too much variable, the misprint value is watered down.
---
Soylent Green is People!
Definitive Doom Spreadsheet...of Doom: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7oq1...ers%20List.xlsm
#26 Posted: 04:29:06 22/04/2012 | Topic Creator
I'm gonna get clarification on if this was intentional. I think it is. Usually my hunches aren't wrong. I just don't believe in coincidence. People would be losing their jobs over this kind of lack of quality control.

This just echoes Transformers and Marvel Universe mispackaings. They are intentional and have served to drive up the value.

I mean out of 20+ million Skylanders released, there are only 4 misprints known about thus far. Remember, they have to keep the collectors in tune somehow. Making characters as limited in supply as silvers, golds, glows, and crystals, aren't going to keep people searching.

I think they are barraging variants/misprints to keep people on the hunt, while we are in this current bit of downtime.
---
#27 Posted: 04:33:03 22/04/2012
I think it's just a mistake, they wouldn't do this on purpose would they.
Tigorus Emerald Sparx Gems: 3589
#28 Posted: 04:37:27 22/04/2012
Maybe it was supposed to be an April Fools wave....smilies.
#29 Posted: 04:48:08 22/04/2012 | Topic Creator
Hasbro does it all the time. How else do you keep serious collectors involved?

Here's the thing, though. If this franchise fails, people who bought the silvers, golds, crystals, glows, toy fairs, and misprints with the intent to sell, boy are they in for a rude awakening, as things that lose popularity over time, becomes worth diddly squat.

That's why I am biding my time on certain figures. While peeps out there are spending near 1000 for a single crystal, I am inclined to actually wait it out until they aren't worth **** and buy cheap.

However, I think it's impossible for anyone to finish their collection now. If there are only - coincidentally - one of each of these mispackaged Skylanders, then tracking down each would be uber tough.

However, I know what's really going down. Like I said, Hasbro pulls this **** all the time with Transformers and Marvel Universe. Acti/TFB just wants a piece of the variant/error/mispackaged pie. However, if I were them, I would make the variants as easy to find as the ones for Marvel Universe seem to be. Just more money for Activision.
---
#30 Posted: 04:53:41 22/04/2012
Lose jobs? This... is... China!!! The number of crap paint jobs of SL figs on the market are a testament to that. Things in the wrong boxes is a Chinese factory cliche.

As for Transformers/Marvel U - I would need proof (i.e. confirmation from the company) that it was intentional as it makes absolutely no logical sense.
---
Soylent Green is People!
Definitive Doom Spreadsheet...of Doom: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7oq1...ers%20List.xlsm
#31 Posted: 04:55:08 22/04/2012
So they might be doing it for money. That's a new low for activison but very clever.
ToxicFate Yellow Sparx Gems: 1137
#32 Posted: 05:08:58 22/04/2012
They aren't doing these on purpose. They are just production errors and it happens in every action figure line unfortunately. It's not uncommon for people to find a figure with wrong carding, backwards part's, two of the same hand, wrong parts on a figure etc.

Also I hate to pop anyone's bubble so to speak but production errors actually bring the value down in the same way that autographed figures bring the value down. You usually will make exactly the retail price or less. The amount of people who collect error's is a very very small niche of any collecting community.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 05:09:51 22/04/2012 by ToxicFate
#33 Posted: 05:40:09 22/04/2012 | Topic Creator
So, why did this mass stint of production errors start on wave 5, and not 4 or 3, when they were really feeling the wrath of disgruntled customers?

I just don't believe in coincidence. Like I said, though, I am going to ask around and see what's up.
---
#34 Posted: 05:42:59 22/04/2012
Well it seems most stores are getting in lots of Skylanders lately. I would assume they ramped up production which means a lot more are being processed at a time and that's why the errors are showing up now.
#35 Posted: 06:06:08 22/04/2012
Ramp up of production means more chance of error.

Also, there were errors prior - the silver Ignitor was one, wrong/missing/superfluous cards...

Heck, I had a single fig (forget which one) which had an Anvil Rain card with it.

I would put money down that the wrong cardboard back for fig has happened in prior waves but simply went unannounced.

Remember, I have never seen whole bins of figs until this wave...
---
Soylent Green is People!
#36 Posted: 06:16:14 22/04/2012
Yeah the more they are making at one time the greater chance for an error. What happens is they make a certain amount of one figure and than switch to the next. During that switch sometimes they forget to change over (for example the package artwork) to what's currently being produced. That's why you get stuff with wrong packaging, figures, cards etc. It's just to late once the figures are all done so they throw them in the box as is. You could also blame the quality control team as well because they usually always check stuff before it's boxed and shipped. If they really wanted to they could just toss the errors but rather than lose out on money they figure someone will buy it.
StormbringerGT Green Sparx Gems: 162
#37 Posted: 08:20:52 22/04/2012
Quote: GameMaster78
So, why did this mass stint of production errors start on wave 5, and not 4 or 3, when they were really feeling the wrath of disgruntled customers?

I just don't believe in coincidence. Like I said, though, I am going to ask around and see what's up.

Because that's when they started to ramp up production and when you hurry and out source to cheaper production facilities mistakes happen.
---
I'm currently: Awaiting Dragon's Dogma and listening to Old Linkin park. Bite me, their old stuff is better than their new stuff. smilie
Deandria Green Sparx Gems: 304
#38 Posted: 10:27:11 22/04/2012
Interesting that this came up... I have recently been thinking about packaging variants and mistakes and their impact on collecting since I got US Ignitor sent to me (in the UK) from a contest on PortalMasters.net

I think it's interesting that we in the UK have a different shaped hook on out packaging... it makes some of the artwork looked messed up because more has been cut away from the original image.
---
Own: smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie
Really Want: smilie smilie
Ellioy Green Sparx Gems: 469
#39 Posted: 13:43:18 22/04/2012
If Hasbro had new workers then they could of done this on accident.
Never happened to me though i don't collect skylanders OR even play with them.
---
AROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
#40 Posted: 13:51:44 22/04/2012 | Topic Creator
I did some research on this. Various sites were asked if mispackaged toys could ever be rare or worth money. The replies given on various sites were about the same. If the mispackaged toy is from a popular line of toys, there's a good chance it would be rare and worth something in the eyes of collectors later on.

Like I said, though. I don't think Skylanders will hold popularity as long as say, Pokemon. I don't see it making it to a third game, if they pull such a stunt, that the original Skylanders are obsolete when Giants releases. In obsolete, I mean TFB didn't future-proof the Skylanders, to any new sequels level cap increase doesn't work on the originals.

That's going to **** off a lot of customers and fans, which will drive sales down, which means toys will stay on the shelf, and this whole ripple effect means silvers, golds, glows, crystals, mispacked are only worth wiping your *** with them.

I just see Activision shooting themselves in the foot, instead of having the consistency that Pokemon has brought with it over the past 14 years. That's when I will go after what so many paid 500+ for.

I wish TFB would plan ahead, though. That way all of the Skylanders remain relevant throughout each sequel, and you don't have to buy each Skylander, each year, just because Activision loves money. They could have had another hot property like Pokemon on their hands.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 13:54:40 22/04/2012 by GameMaster78
kappapopm Ripto Gems: 1186
#41 Posted: 14:03:27 22/04/2012
activi$ion is getting lazy now when they have their money...
#42 Posted: 14:11:23 22/04/2012 | Topic Creator
Seriously. I don't see how they're going to keep collectors, collecting, when the variants are stupid-hard to find. It's a wonder they even do variants, because the way they handle them, doesn't even make them worth releasing.

Oh, well. Collectors will stop wasting their gas on something they know they can't find, because the variants are so bare, the employees of a store will get to them before a collector does (in the US), thus collectors will know not to even check.

That's why I never check. I only found this mispacked Skylander, because I was taking my son to a local Hastings, so he could buy 3 of the Zelda Mangas. That, and the local Nintendo rep told me she was going to be at Best Buy handing out series 1 Kid Icarus: Uprising cards.

If it weren't for those two things, I wouldn't have hit up the two local Walmarts on the way. Until I know variants are easier to find and a tiny bit more plentiful, I will NEVER go out of my way, to go hunting. *does cabbage patch* SAVE MONEY! SAVE MONEY! *does spinaroony*
---
#43 Posted: 14:20:16 22/04/2012
I can't remember, but I'm positive there was one other one a while back. It was like..a Bash or something box, but the figure was Dino-Rang. Or vice versa. Let me see if I can find it.

Ah here we go. It's a Dino-Rang in a Boomer box. Hahaha...Boomer-rang.

Again, I'd doubt these are intentional. I'm sure there were plenty more that were out there, but either people didn't care, or they're not members of this forum to post pics. I mean, there could have been a ton of these, but it just so happens that a few of our members have found them. If there were any out during the shortage, people probably opened those suckers up as fast as possible, especially if the kid didn't realize it or something.

Happens all the time. I could go downstairs and count how many error PEZ I have, I've seen collectors with tons of them. I know a buddy of mine who's dad and him specifically hunt for error Hot Wheels.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 14:24:52 22/04/2012 by spyroflame0487
Wiseman Green Sparx Gems: 333
#44 Posted: 14:22:48 22/04/2012
Quote: spyroflame0487
I can't remember, but I'm positive there was one other one a while back. It was like..a Bash or something box, but the figure was Dino-Rang. Or vice versa. Let me see if I can find it.

Alright, I'm not the only one. I knew there was one having to do with a dino-rang so I looked for twenty minutes for it... I never found the pic, but I do remember seeing it.
---
** Avatar Creator - nitendofan92 **
#45 Posted: 14:25:44 22/04/2012 | Topic Creator
I remember that as well.
---
#46 Posted: 14:27:27 22/04/2012
Going off my edited post to post the pic of it. This was posted on March 5th.

Quote: dness79
not sure which code to use off of photobucket..

[User Posted Image]
---
#47 Posted: 14:28:27 22/04/2012 | Topic Creator
You stated in that thread, you would have wanted that over gold and silvers anyday, Spyro. Can I ask why?
---
#48 Posted: 14:34:00 22/04/2012
Quote: GameMaster78
You stated in that thread, you would have wanted that over gold and silvers anyday, Spyro. Can I ask why?

I like the golds better. Haha I think they're more brilliant in the light than the silvers are, at least from what I've seen.
Gold accents on things are my favorites I suppose!
---
#49 Posted: 14:48:42 22/04/2012
So from what I am hearing, which I believe is an error in the production. I really have not seen any of these in my stores. And by reading these, they are getting easier to come across. Maybe this mistake is good for TFB in a way because the schrewed up but know theyre making a profit off it by collectors.
dangernoah2 Green Sparx Gems: 401
#50 Posted: 15:25:40 22/04/2012
you know what would be cool if we bought skylanders and spyro from activision we could probaly come up with better ideas
---
help with my skylander cartoon http://forum.darkspyro.net/spyro/viewposts.php?topic=53603
Page 1 of 4 | Next | Last
1 2 3 4

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me