Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
Page 1 of 1
Gamestops crappy returns [CLOSED]
zap18 Gold Sparx Gems: 2521
#1 Posted: 19:13:21 18/04/2012 | Topic Creator
So today it was my birthday, And I already had a Stealth elf. I got and extra, never touched it, it has a code card and everything. So I went to GameStop and I asked how much it was worth for trade in and the guy said 3$. THREE FREAKING BUCKS!!
Moral: Don't trade Skylanders at gamestop.
---
Salsa is best monkey
Amiibos or skylanders? Not sure this time around
PocketGoddess Blue Sparx Gems: 687
#2 Posted: 19:15:11 18/04/2012
That isn't too surprising, since they sell the used ones for $4.49.

You're better off trying to return it at Wal-Mart, Target, etc.--maybe you can get store credit for the full value since it's a new item.
StormbringerGT Green Sparx Gems: 162
#3 Posted: 19:16:18 18/04/2012
I'm a Gamestop employee and I know this.....
---
I'm currently: Awaiting Dragon's Dogma and listening to Old Linkin park. Bite me, their old stuff is better than their new stuff. smilie
spyroflame0487 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3866
#4 Posted: 19:19:56 18/04/2012
Yeah, I was talking to my dad about this the other day after I bought the Spyro. If they're taking these in, they're definitely gonna be trying to get a profit from them. Therefore, they'll be charging less than what they'll be selling them for, which'd probably be right around $3.

Although, I don't know exactly how they determine the price. A few people have mentioned that they saw Terrafin or Slam Bam or something and it was about $14 by himself. I also have to question about the cards/stickers/webcode. I'd figure they just throw those away really. I know Spyro is part of a larger sticker, and MAYBE the person didn't turn in the card or webcode, but I can easily see them just tossing that stuff.

If it's loose though, I don't think any store would take it back. Your best bet would be to sell it on craigslist or ebay. And even then, you'd probably only get like $5-$6 for it. Even though all the stuff is there, people like having a brand new box and everything.
---
Why did Uncle Peter have an interdimentional portal in his attic?
Spyro's entire collection! [Updated June 28th 15]
Hexin_Wishes Yellow Sparx Gems: 1522
#5 Posted: 19:36:12 18/04/2012
^But a loose figure is what the starters and the adventure pack figures are by themselves anyways.

Anyways, I'm gonna give it a try one day and toss in my Gill Grunt. They better take him! Not only is he in great condition but he also is Level 10 and has that hat from DP with the speed. He just lacks the sticker because they hadn't come up with this and I figured I'd be stuck with him and put his name on the poster and used his webcodes (damn it). So if they're dishing out 3$ then I will gladly take those 3$ for it (though I assume the starters would go for dirt cheap in buyback value, especially since I decided to wait so long).
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 19:37:03 18/04/2012 by Hexin_Wishes
Dueck Green Sparx Gems: 301
#6 Posted: 20:46:54 18/04/2012
$3 isn't bad for something they will probably get $6-7 for.
---
smilie smilie smilie / smilie smilie smilie smilie / smilie smilie / smilie smilie
smilie smilie smilie smilie / smilie smilie / smilie smilie / smilie smilie
ToxicFate Yellow Sparx Gems: 1137
#7 Posted: 21:11:28 18/04/2012
Quote: Dueck

I just sold an extra Stealth Elf I had on Ebay the other day for $9. I'll never understand why people bring stuff to Gamestop when it's such a huge rip off.
Zing Blue Sparx Gems: 616
#8 Posted: 22:49:52 18/04/2012
Used figures are selling for $9 on Ebay?
Landerfan2012 Gold Sparx Gems: 2048
#9 Posted: 23:24:57 18/04/2012
^that is actually a bargen
---
131/174
Trap team and Gearshift on reservation
Slammer Green Sparx Gems: 496
#10 Posted: 01:54:25 19/04/2012
Quote: Dueck

$6 or $7? I was in one of my Game Stops the other day and they had used characters in bags, and were selling them for $8 each. No cards, stickers or web code cards. I started to tell the guy that they were trying to sell them for what you can buy them for (new in package) at Walmart and other places. Wisely realized that the clerk wasn't the one dictating their price on them, and decided to let it go. You really would think that the execs at GS would be aware of what the retail price is at other places, not to mention that all of the used characters they had were ones that are readily available everywhere else. Drobot, Wrecking Ball, Boomer, Stealth Elf, etc......
Capoeira Blue Sparx Gems: 585
#11 Posted: 02:24:35 19/04/2012
They're only worth $2.00 trade-in, in Canada.
Also, check out the price on an Adventure Pack item piece.

[User Posted Image]
#12 Posted: 02:48:34 19/04/2012
Ouch! You can get a new one off a scalper on eBay for less.....
#13 Posted: 02:59:42 19/04/2012
Hey, do these things ever come with the code and the card?
---
131/174
#14 Posted: 03:51:18 19/04/2012
The ones that I saw didn't. Doesn't mean that none of them do, I guess. Wouldn't know if the code had been used until you got home. In fact, if the code were visible in the bag, a customer could snap a pic of it while in the store and then download it later.
Zzyzyx Gold Sparx Gems: 2374
#15 Posted: 12:44:00 19/04/2012
Quote: Landerfan2012
Hey, do these things ever come with the code and the card?

When I traded in my extra Prism Break and Boomer I gave them the card, sticker and web codes as well. Whether or not the will keep them to resell with the figures I'm not sure. I would assume they would keep them together.
PocketGoddess Blue Sparx Gems: 687
#16 Posted: 13:27:14 19/04/2012
Why trade at GameStop? Because eBay can be a real hassle, and sometimes you just want isntant cash or credit so you can be done with it and move on. It's all about price vs. convenience. They're offering a service, and you can choose whether or not you want to use it.

PS I'm NOT a GameStop employee, I just don't understand why folks bash them all the time.
Rich246 Green Sparx Gems: 243
#17 Posted: 13:31:28 19/04/2012
I've found more people selling through Amazon than eBay, if something goes wrong at least Amazon will "deal" with it, no GameStop's in my area have any Skylanders, and if they do..they are far and few between.
I managed to get the smiliesmiliesmilie Triple pack for $18.99 USD shipped.
---
I own:
smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie
gsizzle Green Sparx Gems: 272
#18 Posted: 14:33:17 19/04/2012
I'll be very excited to watch Gamestop go out of business, next generation, when used games start becoming a thing of the past.
---
smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie
Iloveninjas Blue Sparx Gems: 652
#19 Posted: 15:03:33 19/04/2012
it was like 8.29 for stump smash at mine... for that you can get it brand new
---
(smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie)(smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie)(smiliesmiliesmiliesmilie)(smiliesmiliesmilie)(smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie)(smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie)(smiliesmiliesmilie)(smiliesmiliesmilie)
1madcow Red Sparx Gems: 73
#20 Posted: 15:08:31 19/04/2012
My Game stop is charging 8.99 for used figs 9.99 for new, oh and legendary 17.99
---
smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
Still need- smiliesmiliesmilie
#21 Posted: 16:59:25 19/04/2012
Makes you almost want to paint a character gold and sell it to them...but it would suck for who bought that.
---
(smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie)(smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie)(smiliesmiliesmiliesmilie)(smiliesmiliesmilie)(smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie)(smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie)(smiliesmiliesmilie)(smiliesmiliesmilie)
#22 Posted: 17:06:37 19/04/2012
Quote: gsizzle
I'll be very excited to watch Gamestop go out of business, next generation, when used games start becoming a thing of the past.

HERE HERE
---
smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
Dunkin Yellow Sparx Gems: 1066
#23 Posted: 17:47:19 19/04/2012
Quote: gsizzle

Only for you...

And no one is forcing you guys to buy from them. If you don't like it then buy the figures or do business elsewhere. You complaining about it isn't going to fix the problem.
Don't get me wrong I do realize that asking 7.99-9.00 for a used figure when you could easily go to walmart or target and get a new one for the same price, is a bit much. But you also gotta think paying such prices for a used figure at gamestop isn't no where near as insane as spending 100-200 dollars for a Newly Released figure on ebay, when you could be patient and wait for retail, and get it at your local store.

So this is the lesser of the two extremes here to be honest.

And yes I saw a Wham Shell sell Last night on ebay for 202.00 USD. Gamestop > Scalpers/re-sellers. Of course this is MY opinion entirely. I support Gamestop (And no I'm NOT an employee) this is just what I believe. Everyone's out for profit. If you can't make profit theres not point in doing business at all.

If you want more for your figure, sell it on ebay. If you can't do that, then keep it or trade it with another collector. Personally them giving you 3 bucks for a USED figure isn't all that bad, considering its Used.

Sorry long post is long, but this is how I feel.
---
I <3 all Spyro games!smilie
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 17:49:42 19/04/2012 by Dunkin
#24 Posted: 18:33:26 19/04/2012
I always urge people away from trading stuff in at my store, telling them they first should try selling to a friend or craigslist, where they will get much more for it.

That being said a lot of people go for it anyway, I may not trade in stuff at Gamestop personally, but no one at Gamestop holds a gun to your head and makes you do it. If you would rather not go through the hassle of selling stuff yourself, you cannot expect a company to give you what you would have gotten if you had sold it yourself.
---
I'm currently: Awaiting Dragon's Dogma and listening to Old Linkin park. Bite me, their old stuff is better than their new stuff. smilie
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 19:17:58 19/04/2012 by StormbringerGT
darkchylde28 Gold Sparx Gems: 2175
#25 Posted: 18:57:24 19/04/2012
I agree with both Dunkin and StormbringerGT. Don't be mad at Gamestop for trying to make a profit on something that other people brought them willingly and accepted Gamestop's money/credit for.

Nobody forces people to trade their stuff in. In a lot of cases, it almost seems like nobody can talk folks OUT of trading their stuff in. A personal example is when I saw a guy in Gamestop getting ready to trade in a PSP (during the early release days, before the slim, etc., were even rumored) for $70 trade credit. The guy hemmed and hawed and stepped away for a minute to think things over. I walked up to the guy, let him know that I'd overheard the offer and offered him $100 cash on the spot (showing him the money) for the system versus him trading it in. What did he do? Turned right around and took the $70 credit. Maybe people feel some sort of obligation to the store employee they're dealing with once they start down that path? To me, it just never made any sense.

If you want to make sure you don't get "ripped off" by Gamestop, make them price your items one at a time when you trade them in. If they're not willing to give you what you think is fair for something, don't trade it. For those folks who complain about giving them a stack of "new" games and getting $15 trade credit for it, you probably got $10 for one game, $5 for another and a few cents (if anything) for the rest. As I used to work right next door to a Gamestop, I know this is the case a lot of the time. Back when they still bought/sold NES cartridges, I brought in all the duplicates from my collection and had them go through them one by one. At the end, I walked out with over $400 in credit and 30-40 titles that I ended up selling for $3-5 each to a local flea market vendor. Where those titles common? Nope, just overstocked in Gamestop's inventory--hence the $0.05-$0.10 offers I was getting on each.

Everyone is quick to run to Gamestop if they have the Skylanders someone needs, or if they have a good deal on a new or used game. It seems like Gamestop only becomes the villain when they offer something that folks don't want to buy. If they're not making you an offer you find acceptable (when buying a game, trading stuff in, etc.), don't do it. If you totally despise the store, don't shop there. But please, stop acting like you're a victim to Gamestop. You have the power and the choice, exercise it. There are many, many worse offenders price/credit/availability-wise. If you're going to villainize someone, put those places out front.
---
SSA: Complete, SG: Complete, SSF: Complete, STT: Complete (Save Yawn Traps), SSC: Complete (To Date) + Various Chase/Promotional Variants
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 19:00:14 19/04/2012 by darkchylde28
#26 Posted: 19:22:42 19/04/2012
I am not for or against GameStop, I understand they are a business and their profits are based off there used products. Still does not mean that the used skylanders are not a rip in comparison to new ones. I will still go there and buy from them but not used skylanders.
---
#27 Posted: 19:24:39 19/04/2012
Yeah their used system is definitely not fairly priced.

I work there because I enjoy meeting fellow videogame fans and because at my store I think I'm the only one who actually plays video games...

Also getting the display stuff is a nice perk as well!
---
#28 Posted: 19:46:34 19/04/2012
Quote: Iloveninjas
I am not for or against GameStop, I understand they are a business and their profits are based off there used products. Still does not mean that the used skylanders are not a rip in comparison to new ones. I will still go there and buy from them but not used skylanders.

I agree, which is why I said get them elsewhere lol. I May only get little extras of the magic stuff. Since I keep mine in their packaging so I need an extra of some of them since I can't exactly place them on my portal and use them. But that would probably be it.

Always try to get the MOST for you money. Thats what I do. Which is why I've yet to buy any used figures anywhere. (I don't really need to anyway) My husband works in the Electronics section at walmart and he's usually the one re-stocking the skylanders anyway. If anyone ever needs ANY help finding ones they are lacking I'd be happy to give you a hand and only charge you what retail was and shipping costs (Which would be cheap).

Gamestop, I'll just stick to buying Games/consoles from them. I don't find their used system very fair either. I bought a new game not too long ago, and wasn't offered jack for trade-in value, yet I'm okay telling the person "No thanks" and he was like "Okay!" with a smile on his face and gladly handed me my stuff back. Sadly I have a friend who owns her own Video game business that does the same thing "Trade in" and her trade-in value is WORSE. There's also "Play And Trade" but they aren't much better either I'm afriad.
Gamestop has always been the best place for Trade-in's in my opinion. No of course they aren't gonna give you a bunch in Cash. Usually when they do Cash transactions you get less than you would in trade-in credit.

Just stick to buying things New at retail prices. And if your not in DIRE need of funds I don't see why you couldn't just get trade-in for your used Skylanders. No harm done, you can wrack it up and get something worth wile.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 19:58:24 19/04/2012 by Dunkin
#29 Posted: 20:20:59 19/04/2012
Yeah you are in control at all times with your trade in you dont have to sell them. I do sell to them sometimes when they have multipliers and the power up 10 percent make it decent. And if you are using store credits not a bad deal most of the time just need to plan it out when you are trading.
---
#30 Posted: 20:55:39 19/04/2012
Quote: Iloveninjas
Yeah you are in control at all times with your trade in you dont have to sell them. I do sell to them sometimes when they have multipliers and the power up 10 percent make it decent. And if you are using store credits not a bad deal most of the time just need to plan it out when you are trading.

Most agreed, and yes the powerup benefits are a plus. I've been a member for a while.
And true, I always try to always know what I'm trading for in advance. Tends to make going through with it much easier especially if its something I really want lol.
---
Rageling Red Sparx Gems: 54
#31 Posted: 22:12:10 19/04/2012
At our local GameStop (ironically we have 2 within the same mall - been like that for years and I still don't get it), the guy said the trade value on most figures is $4 USD, and the used they sell for $8.99. I really didn't want to pay it (was only $8 with Power Up Rewards thing), but that was literally the only way I could get a Cynder for less than $10 as nothing was showing up locally. Didn't have the online code, or stickers, and the horn set on the left side of her head (right looking straight on) are protruding a little like too much glue was used and that makes me a bit sad... but I'm picky about dragon things.

The only two purchases I'm likely to make through GameStop this year (after Cynder), are "Lollipop Chainsaw" and "Borderlands 2" (for the extra stuff for both on pre-order).

Also - hello forum. I'm done lurking. smilie
#32 Posted: 23:31:33 19/04/2012
If you buy these things used, are you able to register them on ssu? also, do they ever come with the training card?
---
131/174
#33 Posted: 23:42:04 19/04/2012
Our Gamestop got an email telling us to toss the extra stuff, just sell the figure.

Which I think is retarded, Just bag up the card and stickers with the toy and sell them all. Its not a problem on out part.

I have to admit, though, 90% of these figures getting traded in do not come with the stickers or card.
---
#34 Posted: 23:43:08 19/04/2012
If you buy these things used, are you able to register them on ssu? also, do they ever come with the training card?

Yes you should be able too. I have sold a few of my extra used figures and had them all registered on the online game (I unregistered them though) and the person who bought them had no issue.

My hex I bought (Though in the packaging still and all that) Was bought on ebay, and apparently the person whom I bought her off of, used her and didn't reset her or unregister her, and I had no issue. I just registered myself as "New owner" and poof, she was automatically reset. And I use her online and have had no issues.

As far as them coming with the trading cards, thats highly doubtful. But not impossible. Depends on the gamestop (My one local gamestop) Throws out all the Un-necessary things when it comes to used stuff. Like for DS/3DS games, they throw out the cases and sell just the game itself. (Not sure why but I was told this by the manager who is a friend of mine). But the other Gamestops in my town DON'T do this. Just that one. I dunno its weird, so I suppose it just depends on the store.
---
#35 Posted: 00:43:01 20/04/2012
Quote: Dunkin

Yes you should be able too. I have sold a few of my extra used figures and had them all registered on the online game (I unregistered them though) and the person who bought them had no issue.

My hex I bought (Though in the packaging still and all that) Was bought on ebay, and apparently the person whom I bought her off of, used her and didn't reset her or unregister her, and I had no issue. I just registered myself as "New owner" and poof, she was automatically reset. And I use her online and have had no issues.

As far as them coming with the trading cards, thats highly doubtful. But not impossible. Depends on the gamestop (My one local gamestop) Throws out all the Un-necessary things when it comes to used stuff. Like for DS/3DS games, they throw out the cases and sell just the game itself. (Not sure why but I was told this by the manager who is a friend of mine). But the other Gamestops in my town DON'T do this. Just that one. I dunno its weird, so I suppose it just depends on the store.

so they just throw the card and stuff out?
---
131/174
#36 Posted: 01:09:57 20/04/2012

so they just throw the card and stuff out?

Yup pretty much. Not sure why either, but thats what they do.
---
darkchylde28 Gold Sparx Gems: 2175
#37 Posted: 02:23:14 20/04/2012
Yup pretty much. Not sure why either, but thats what they do.

I don't want to suggest anything untoward (that would get you in trouble, etc.), but any chance that you'd be able to keep those discarded cards/stickers for yourself? I've seen a lot of folks here and there looking for duplicate or replacement cards/stickers. I myself am stuck without a card for the shield out of Empire of Ice--I ended up with two Empire of Ice cards in the package. I don't know that you'd want the responsibility/burden, but it'd be a chance for you to help out folks wo are missing stuff and possibly make a little something for yourself for the trouble. (shrug) Something to think about.
---
SSA: Complete, SG: Complete, SSF: Complete, STT: Complete (Save Yawn Traps), SSC: Complete (To Date) + Various Chase/Promotional Variants
#38 Posted: 02:27:26 20/04/2012
I could collect them up if you want, but like I said in my largely ignored post, 90% of the people who trade them in usually dont trade in the cards and stickers.

If you guys want I'll hold onto any that come in and hand them out here?
---
#39 Posted: 03:43:19 20/04/2012
Quote: StormbringerGT
I could collect them up if you want, but like I said in my largely ignored post, 90% of the people who trade them in usually dont trade in the cards and stickers.

If you guys want I'll hold onto any that come in and hand them out here?

Hey I'm sure alot of people here would really appreicate that alot actually. If you can do it without getting repremanded for it. Wouldn't want to suggest something that would get you into trouble.
But yeah I imagine people who trade in the figures wouldn't still have the cards/stickers and codes. If they are so not into the game anymore to the point of selling them off I imagine thats something they'd throw in the trash.

I'm really anal about things so I'd be the one to include it, since I'm the kind of person who likes things complete in the first place.
---
#40 Posted: 03:45:50 20/04/2012
Im not mad at what they do i just think its a bit unfair, here have $3 buck for something you paid 9.99 for, now we are going to sell it for 8.99, i can get em brand new at wal mart for 8.69 and 17.99 for a single used legendary they do know toys r us brought back the legendary 3 pack right? i understand we are in control of our trades but come on 100% - 2005 mark up they could come down a lil
---
SpyroTek Blue Sparx Gems: 516
#41 Posted: 03:48:15 20/04/2012
I wonder if Gamestop will get a flood of figures in after Giants is released, and if so will the prices plummet?
Mistimp Red Sparx Gems: 97
#42 Posted: 23:41:14 20/04/2012
I picked up Dark Spyro and Ignitor used at GameStop today. They wanted $7.99 for them. Gill Grunt was $2.99, and everything else they had was a seemingly random amount between $8.30 and $9.00.
All the ones I saw had the card and web code, some had the stickers. They also included a slip of paper with instructions on resetting the Skylander.
---
smilie**smilie**smilie**smilie**smilie**smilie**smilie**smilie**smilie**smilie smilie**smilie**smilie**smilie**smilie smilie**smilie**smilie**smilie**smilie**smilie**smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie
#43 Posted: 00:01:37 21/04/2012
Yeah we were told to throw those out. The last two we got in I put the papers in. smilie I don't see any harm in it really.
---
Ravenouschaos Green Sparx Gems: 201
#44 Posted: 00:08:52 21/04/2012
I wonder what gamestop will do when all the people that are winning the free skylanders bring them in BNIB. Heh
---
We stand ready to defend Skylands: smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
#45 Posted: 00:45:50 21/04/2012
Quote: Ravenouschaos
I wonder what gamestop will do when all the people that are winning the free skylanders bring them in BNIB. Heh

We can't take it. At least policy for video games. All video games and accessories cannot be traded in while new in box. They have to have been opened. If you open it in the store policy says we can't take it. Due to people trading in stuff they just stole from walmart and what not.
---
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me