Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
Page 1 of 1
Skylanders Tactics the Tabletop Game [CLOSED]
StormbringerGT Green Sparx Gems: 162
#1 Posted: 02:59:00 18/04/2012 | Topic Creator
Me and my cousins sat down last weekend and created this huge tactics board game.

The cards were useless so we created stat sheets for all the characters and gave them classes as well as abilities and such. It turned out really well, especially if you are a fan of Final Fantasy Tactics and games like that.

We still have a LOT of work to do but the framework is there. Balancing is an ongoing thing. We'd like to includ equipment for characters and other cool mechanics as well. We have a ton of cool markers we made up to use on the battlefield.

So far we took an old folding table and made a grid using markers and rulers. This is the battlefield. Its bland but we want to be able to add pieces to it and make it modular for different battles. Stuff to use as cover and whatever else we can think of.

Our next big feature is working on elemental damage. So characters will be stronger or weak against other characters based on elements. Similar to how Pokemon works.

Here's an Example of one of our character cards (I tried taking a picture but they are pretty crummy at this point in development lol):

Eruptor
HP: 210
Armor: 4 (this helps mitigate damage)
Dodge: 14 (this helps avoid damage)
Attack: 8 (this determines if most of your attacks hit)
Speed: 5 (movement and order of play)

Abilities:

Magma Armor (passive): Any characters hitting Eruptor with a Melee attack must roll a D6. 1-3 means the the attacker is hit with 10 points of unavoidable damage. 4-6 means the attacker suffers no damage.

Lavaling (Action/Passive 2 actions): Eruptor can summon a small fire minion on any space adjacent to him. If he does Eruptor loses 25 HP. The minion has 10 HP, 0 armor, 12 Dodge, 10 Attack and 7 Speed. The lavalings only attack is a melee attack that can hit any character adjacent to it. If it hits, this attack does 10 points of Damage.

Pyroxysmal Explosion (Death): When Eruptor dies, he does 25 points of unavoidable damage to any character adjacent to him. He also leaves behind a Lava Pool that spreads to 1 space adjacent to where he died. This Lava Pool lasts the rest of the game.

Magma Shell (Action/Passive - free): Eruptor Cools down his magma body. This raises his armor to 8. Raises his dodge to 18. Raises your Attack to 14. Reduces your Speed to 3.

Eruption (Attack 2 Actions): Eruptor causes himself to meltdown and explode. It does 45 points of damage to all characters within 3 squares. Characters may not roll a dodge to avoid damage. Eruptor does not Roll to see if this attack hits. Eruptor loses 10hp.

Lava Blob (Attack 1 Action): Eruptor shoots out a blob of lava at a target within 6 spaces away. If it his, it does 15 points of damage. Eruptor can also fire an empty space as well. If so, this leaves a small pool of lava that burns for 3 turns.

Lava Flows (Attack 2 Actions): Eruptor roots himself to this spot. He becomes unmovable while he is using Lava Flow. Each turn he uses Lava Flow he can send out a flow of lava that can go 3 squares in any direction. Each turn this flow can move 3 squares. Each space this flow passes through acts as a Lava Pool. The Flow can not be longer than 25 spaces. When Eruptor wishes to move again, he must remain in-mobile for 3 turns and take no actions while he recalls his lava flow to his body.

Notes

Lava Pool: Anyone character entering this space suffers 10 points of damage. If a Character activates and he is standing on a lava pool, he takes 10 points of damage before he can move.
---
I'm currently: Awaiting Dragon's Dogma and listening to Old Linkin park. Bite me, their old stuff is better than their new stuff. smilie
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 04:18:21 18/04/2012 by StormbringerGT
#2 Posted: 04:17:23 18/04/2012 | Topic Creator
Here's some ****ty concept art from last week. It was 2 am, so its pretty crappy but we were brainstorming. The Artillery ended up getting cut.

[User Posted Image]
---
I'm currently: Awaiting Dragon's Dogma and listening to Old Linkin park. Bite me, their old stuff is better than their new stuff. smilie
Landerfan2012 Gold Sparx Gems: 2048
#3 Posted: 05:38:12 18/04/2012
Interesting.
---
131/174
Trap team and Gearshift on reservation
#4 Posted: 05:46:47 18/04/2012 | Topic Creator
Yeah we are big tactics game buffs some of our favorite games:

Baldur's Gate (1 & 2)
Fallout Series
F-Com
Shining Force (1, 2 and CD)
Jagged Alliance
Tactics Ogre
Final Fantasy Tactics Series
Disgea

And a ton of board games. We got a closet full of them.

We figured Skylanders with all these figures are begging to get a more tactical and "Older Audience" version of it. Our test sessions have had some pretty series fights.

Boomer, who is universally hailed as one of the more "useless" Characters in the Video Game, actually pulls his weight here. Hes still not great at close combat, but keep him behind your front line fighters, and hes devastating. He functions sort of an artillery unit. We actually had to nerf our first few versions of him.

This weekend we are having our first 2 vs 2 battle and a 4 player free for all.

Ill post some pics this weekend. smilie
---
#5 Posted: 02:25:47 20/04/2012 | Topic Creator
We are starting are first 2 vs 2 game tonight. We have a cool idea for our board. If anyone is actually interested in this I can post some pics up tomorrow.
---
Hexin_Wishes Yellow Sparx Gems: 1522
#6 Posted: 02:38:18 20/04/2012
Quote: StormbringerGT
Here's some ****ty concept art from last week. It was 2 am, so its pretty crappy but we were brainstorming. The Artillery ended up getting cut.

[User Posted Image]

The Pyro*** Explosion image made me laugh.

You know, it's a wonder how no one made a drinking game yet. Before I get y'all on my back for it being "a kid's game", there's a drinking Pokemon game and even a drinking Disney game! Pop off xxxo
#7 Posted: 02:42:55 20/04/2012 | Topic Creator
Well seeing as how me and my buds are all in out 20s/30s. And I'm one of the two only Skylander Fans plan (but they like tactic games) There will be plenty of drinking regardless to get them into the theme.

Who needs a drinking game, when you can just straight up drink. smilie
---
Agent Joe Green Sparx Gems: 205
#8 Posted: 17:48:53 26/06/2012
Can you please post the remaining skylanders tactics, abilities, stats and how to play this game. This looks really cool! I hope to get to play this!
Aquatic Llama Green Sparx Gems: 436
#9 Posted: 18:35:41 26/06/2012
This is a very neat idea. Keep the great work up!
dragonmk Blue Sparx Gems: 761
#10 Posted: 19:49:33 26/06/2012
Seems interesting enough keep it up im gonna see where this goes
---
I havent updated since I don't particularly care but I have gotten all the skylanders except varients only ones are glow Warnado and WERDS
Agent Joe Green Sparx Gems: 205
#11 Posted: 03:24:51 27/06/2012
Ya it does!
kiz3000 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1734
#12 Posted: 07:54:05 27/06/2012
This seems really interesting and I have a few questions:

1) Are the stats based on the cards or in game stats?
2) What does the value of each stat mean? (Does it determine a die roll? Is it a straight up comparison in a fight?)
3) Why did you feel the need to make new moves when the game already provides you with 3 for each character?
4) Why have you set the game up to be 1v1 or 2v2 when you have so many Skylanders and having a 6v6 or even a 12v12 would bring more variation and less boredom to a fight?
5) Have you got any rules of the game to post up to help us understand the game better?

I obviously don't know the full rule set but just to nit pick

1) This would only work if my suggestion in question number 4 is taken up. The HP values are very very high and can be a nuisance to keep track of, especially considering Skylanders is built for younger audiences and they are just learning basic math. May I suggest reducing HP values, and all damage values, to fit in a scale of 1-10 or even 1-20. This way you can keep track of HP through counters on the character cards.

2) Magma Shell is insanely good. Not only does it up Eruptor's dodge, so he is less likely to be hit, it also up's his defense meaning that when he is hit he takes less damage. If you combine this with his ranged lava blob attack, Eruptor would be a machine at holding down a position without the opponent able to do a thing about him. May I suggest the attack not upping dodge at all as fluff wise it turning something to stone doesn't make it more agile anyway.

Sorry for the wall of text but that's my thoughts on it so far. I hope that you take my words as constructive as I'm looking forward to see where this leads.

Cheers
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 07:55:44 27/06/2012 by kiz3000
Stealthelfrocks Yellow Sparx Gems: 1235
#13 Posted: 11:36:33 27/06/2012
This looks so cool. I keep thinking of how to use the useless trading cards of the characters and thought of a game but I didn't know wether to make it a board game, or a card battle game, you get it. But hey I want a rule book and guide to all skylanders for this smilie
---
well guys..... took me a while.... but i might still hang around.... dont know..... but.... I loved the moment while it lasted smilie
Cynder Lover25 Gold Sparx Gems: 2332
#14 Posted: 12:22:59 27/06/2012
that looks cool
---
Been here since 2012...still a gold sparx
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me