Page 1 of 1
Calling all artists! [CLOSED]
Milne44 Green Sparx Gems: 108
#1 Posted: 08:26:26 11/04/2012 | Topic Creator
To anyone who's ever painted a custom figure, could you tell me what types of paints to use, tips etc. thx smilie
---
Have: smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
Want: smilie
Thx nitendofan92 for Warnado avatar!
t7gga Yellow Sparx Gems: 1726
#2 Posted: 09:23:47 11/04/2012
lots of info here http://www.jinsaotomesdangeroustoys.com/guides.html
ialexonline Green Sparx Gems: 452
#3 Posted: 12:22:37 11/04/2012
Use any paint you can find. Use any brushes you can find. Be slow and steady dont rush through it. It helps if you prime the figure first. No amount of tips or tutorials can help you because when it comes down to it its the artist not the materials.
---
Skylanders I own: smiliesmiliesmilie smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
#4 Posted: 14:22:16 11/04/2012
actually if you use the wrong paints they can melt the skylander or stay sticky and if you don't prep it the paint won't stay on properly
#5 Posted: 14:32:08 11/04/2012
Quote: t7gga
actually if you use the wrong paints they can melt the skylander or stay sticky and if you don't prep it the paint won't stay on properly

I've made over 30 custom toys using cheap Apple Barrel paints from Wal-Mart. 95% of them weren't prepped in any way shape or form before working on them and they came out like I wanted them. They're not sticky and the paint stays perfectly.

Unless he plans to use non-acrylic paint they should all work perfectly and dry fine.
---
Skylanders I own: smiliesmiliesmilie smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
#6 Posted: 14:37:06 11/04/2012
"Unless he plans to use non-acrylic paint they should all work perfectly and dry fine."

er, which totally contradicts your earlier post of "Use any paint you can find."
joerox123 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1992
#7 Posted: 14:48:48 11/04/2012
Glow in the datk paint looks REALLY cool!
---
the road is long, we carry on
try to have fun in the meantimeā˜ 
MonkeyBones Green Sparx Gems: 155
#8 Posted: 17:55:12 11/04/2012
I know when I was painting my Warhammer figurines I used Reaper paints. I have an extra Eruptor I thought about trying to customize
StormbringerGT Green Sparx Gems: 162
#9 Posted: 18:02:36 11/04/2012
I use water based Acrylic paints. I have a bunch of tips and techniques I use here:

//forum.darkspyro.net/spyro/viewposts.php?topic=50457
---
I'm currently: Awaiting Dragon's Dogma and listening to Old Linkin park. Bite me, their old stuff is better than their new stuff. smilie
#10 Posted: 18:34:30 11/04/2012
Quote: t7gga
"Unless he plans to use non-acrylic paint they should all work perfectly and dry fine."

er, which totally contradicts your earlier post of "Use any paint you can find."

I would hope someone wouldn't be dumb enough to use house paint. Any CRAFT paint you can find it basically suitable.
---
Milne44 Green Sparx Gems: 108
#11 Posted: 22:06:40 11/04/2012 | Topic Creator
thx guys. ^ and no i didn't even THINK of using house paint. lol smilie
---
Have: smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
Want: smilie
Thx nitendofan92 for Warnado avatar!
OpalOsprey Yellow Sparx Gems: 1127
#12 Posted: 22:08:57 11/04/2012
^ If they ever make a life-sized Giant, I would definitely recommend house paint.
---
Have a Wii U? My ID and Mii name is OpalOsprey. So why don't you add Mii smilie?

"You don't need a reason to help people" ~ Zidane -Final Fantays IX
Mistimp Red Sparx Gems: 97
#13 Posted: 07:13:09 12/04/2012
Use any water based acrylic paint. Apple Barrel is great for the price. Get a couple of good small brushes. Size 1 or 0 should do. You won't need to go into the 000 range as Skylanders are huge compared to most minis used for D&D, Warhammer ect. Use a thin coat and let it dry. Recoat if neccesary. Better to do multiple layers than to have a goopy looking fig. Always prime the fig first. If you want it to appear bright use white primer. For a darker, duller look use black. If you want to combine the two prime with black, then put a base coat of white over it on just the areas you want bright, for instance a bright yellow or green.
There are many great tutorials online, look for ones dedicated to D&D, Warhammer or Warmachine. Not the granny craft tutorials.
---
smilie**smilie**smilie**smilie**smilie**smilie**smilie**smilie**smilie**smilie smilie**smilie**smilie**smilie**smilie smilie**smilie**smilie**smilie**smilie**smilie**smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie
Archvillain Green Sparx Gems: 486
#14 Posted: 19:44:17 12/04/2012
Quote:
I would hope someone wouldn't be dumb enough to use house paint. Any CRAFT paint you can find it basically suitable.

As a side note, there are actually quite a few expert model painters who like or recommend house paints for model work. House paints have to be extremely high quality because (unlike model paints, which are often not very good) they are designed to maintain their finish in hostile environments with higher financial consequences of failure. And the price mark-up per volume of paint is lower - many modellers (especially those who also do scenery) get through enough paint that this becomes an additional advantage.

House paints these days are usually acrylic, though I'd avoid latex paints. Spraypaints still commonly use spirits... judging by the smell smilie

I'm not suggesting people should use housepaint (especially if not very familiar with the types of paint, or the qualities they're seeking), just that our options are often wider than reading the name on the label might lead us to believe, once you have some experience.

OTOH model paints seem to have improved in quality over the last several years, without going up in price. That's pretty cool smilie
Matteomax Platinum Sparx Gems: 5378
#15 Posted: 21:26:51 01/09/2012
Im thinking about customizing an Ignitor with red and orange GITD paint..
---
Will still be checking the forums every now and then!
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me