Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Skylanders Toys and Merchandise > Utterly appalled by customers at my store on Dragon's Peak day.
Page 1 of 1
Utterly appalled by customers at my store on Dragon's Peak day. [CLOSED]
VendettaACS Green Sparx Gems: 223
#1 Posted: 13:38:50 27/03/2012 | Topic Creator
Welp, the customers at my store turned into raving lunatics when I told them 15 minutes before the store opened that we only had 14 of the Lightning Rod/Zook/Cynder 3 packs.

The limit was ONE PE$R CHARACTER PER FAMILY. I thought that would be fair. Tried to be nice, wrote up a list of who we had and passed it around to the people waiting outside.

"Oh, but I have 3 kids, all with their own wallets."
"I can't walk, so my daughter needs two tickets!"
"I'm not an ebay-er."

Every, excuse in the ****ING book.

We open, and they rush. didn't even give us time to set up the blockade, even though they were given numbers AND tickets that guaranteed them ONE Dragon's Peak. One dude pushed a kid out of the way and tried to snag 3-4 of the Triple Packs. NOT happening. He only got to ring up one.

Took down the number of one customer, who had a child with autism. He wanted the Lightning Rod pack REALLY bad, but they were gone before he got his turn due to the madness. When we get ANYTHING Lightning Rod in, it's his. I felt utterly terrible.

On the Apil 1st Blue Bash event, things will go more smoothly. I'll have a blockcade set up, and let 2-3 guests in at a time. Really tired of savages, and parents who don't understand how to teach their kids how to share.
---
smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 13:39:30 27/03/2012 by VendettaACS
Alcatalog Blue Sparx Gems: 753
#2 Posted: 13:44:20 27/03/2012
Good for you!
---
Got 38
Kesrael Gold Sparx Gems: 2507
#3 Posted: 13:45:24 27/03/2012
In a case like this, it might be best to keep the stuff behind the register (so say there is more than register, just have everyone interested in Skylanders go to cust service) When one person comes up in line, ask them what they want, if they want one DP and one 3 pack, ok, they can ring it out right there. That would prevent shoving, etc because there wouldn't be a reason to shove. They would know they are getting only one, no matter what.

What all is going to happen with your stores blue Bash event?
---
I'm Kesrael_V on Lost Islands! Add me!!
Alcatalog Blue Sparx Gems: 753
#4 Posted: 13:52:49 27/03/2012
They'll still shove & make their children try to cut the line... Saw it Sunday
---
Got 38
Deandria Green Sparx Gems: 304
#5 Posted: 13:56:19 27/03/2012
My 10 year old neigbour was shoved away from Skylanders by an adult in a shop here in the UK... it's shocking... imo kids have more rights to Skylanders than adults do... and they certainly shouldn't be physically pushed around for a toy!

Though I have to disagree about the whole "kids have to share" thing... I have a brother who used to borrow my stuff and ruin it so I'd never share with him even now we're both adults as he has no respect for other people's property. He is mentally ill and will never learn though so I guess he is an exception... but still, there are a number of reasons why someone might want more than one for their kids... they might not all live together, they might have mental or emotional problems that means they have problems sharing or whatever, they might have been allowed to pick just one Skylander that is just for them (with the rest being shared) and have all chosen the same...

If I encounter DP in a shop (it's not out here yet) I will be buying 2 if I'm allowed because I promised my neighbour's son I would get 1 for him too... but if I'm restricted to just 1 it will be for him and I'll just wait for another time.
---
Own: smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie
Really Want: smilie smilie
Grandlethal Green Sparx Gems: 174
#6 Posted: 13:59:27 27/03/2012
wow, that is just nuts. While I appreciate the rarity of the characters and the collectability... I think Activision needs to take a step back and look at the volume of people that are buying these and re-adjust how many are released. A store getting only 14 of a newcharacter is rediculous when they know that potentially hundreds of people could go to the store to buy them.

I'm glad that where I am, the hype isn't that bad, but I was still surprised that there were 5 people lined up the other day waiting to get in... and every one of them made a dash for the skylander section when the door opened. I thought this would be a fun little game to play with my wife and daughter, and it is turning into an obsession of trying to beat the crowds so that we can have one of every character.
---
Owned: All except - smilie and smilie
#7 Posted: 13:59:28 27/03/2012 | Topic Creator
Regardless of how you or I feel about sharing, the rule is set in place for a REASON. So that more people can ATTEMPT to get Dragon's Peak and enjoy it.

On April 1st, I will look at the line of customers as cattle, not humans. They will be treated accordingly.
---
smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
spyroflame0487 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3866
#8 Posted: 14:07:11 27/03/2012
What they should do is have people line up inside with their tickets, and then you call them one at a time to go and get what they want. It's gotten so crazy that's the only thing to do for fairness.
---
Why did Uncle Peter have an interdimentional portal in his attic?
Spyro's entire collection! [Updated June 28th 15]
#9 Posted: 14:11:47 27/03/2012
Quote: VendettaACS
Regardless of how you or I feel about sharing, the rule is set in place for a REASON. So that more people can ATTEMPT to get Dragon's Peak and enjoy it.

On April 1st, I will look at the line of customers as cattle, not humans. They will be treated accordingly.

Oh I get that and I think it's fair that your store is limiting BUT I don't agree with your idea that there's no reason that siblings would need more than one.

I agree with the limit, it's neccessary with the greedy *expletive*s around... but "kids have to share" is thrown around too much here and I don't agree with that... if my brother and I were still kids we'd both want to play this game together but I really don't want to find he'd taken our shared Skylanders out into the garden for airgun target practice, set them on fire, lost them, left them somewhere, sold them or traded them to someone all of those being things he has done with things that were either mine or shared.
---
Own: smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie
Zing Blue Sparx Gems: 616
#10 Posted: 14:29:19 27/03/2012
It sounds like they should just do what is done here in Canada. Silently stock the figures and watch them slowly sell out over the course of a day. There are no promotions. No flyers. Just the standard stock and sell. I go to my TRU at opening and there is never anyone else there for Skylanders. Sometimes I don't get there until after school is out and there are still some on the shelves. There is no fighting or crowds, and it seems like actual children get their fair share.
sykotek Yellow Sparx Gems: 1262
#11 Posted: 14:41:42 27/03/2012
@VendettaACS: I took the time to write all this and I think it would do you a lot of good to read it.

Hindsight is 20/20 and while I don't fault you for what occurred, you could have avoided this situation by simply not revealing the quantity of how many of something you have. This was the big mistake in my estimation. By the mere mentioning of the exact number of what you had in stock, you may have inadvertently caused this disorderly conduct to happen. People don't like waiting in line for nothing, but it's understood that it's first come, first served and quantities are limited, you don't owe them any more information than that. By not mentioning specifics, you don't risk whipping people into a frenzy.

If you plan on limiting the number of people into your store, try to start letting people in a bit at a time starting 15-20 minutes before you standard opening time. Officially, you would not be open to public, it is a special event, so you have full control over who comes in and does what sort of business with you. Also, that way, you don't get people attempting to cut the line to go "buy other things" in your store when you should only be focusing on those here for the event.

Please, do not make the mistake of limiting by family. That sort of thing is hard to prove and while you may think it's more fair, you're just setting yourself up for trouble. Each guest is a potential customer and you can not age discriminate. You can and should limit quantities for sure, but leave it as a per guest/per ticket/individual payment method basis. You can inform them that if a guest doesn't present you a ticket and their own payment method they don't get to buy it. You can inform everyone in line of that while passing out numbers and allow each guest time to secure their own payment method...once 20 minutes before opening comes around, you call the numbers, if they're not there, they're skipped.

If your guests don't get what they want, it wouldn't hurt to take down their information and promise to contact them when one comes in, I know you mentioned doing that for 1 guest, you should expand that to all. If you do not maintain control, you very well could have a riot on your hands, but it doesn't take much to have things running smoothly.

Best of luck on your future event.
---
Volcanic Vault World Tour is temporarily on hold...waiting on dwattzdrummer
SkyDaddy Blue Sparx Gems: 692
#12 Posted: 14:50:20 27/03/2012
Welp, the customers at my store turned into raving lunatics when I told them 15 minutes before the store opened that we only had 14 of the Lightning Rod/Zook/Cynder 3 packs.

The limit was ONE PE$R CHARACTER PER FAMILY. I thought that would be fair. Tried to be nice, wrote up a list of who we had and passed it around to the people waiting outside.

"I'm not an ebay-er."

We open, and they rush. didn't even give us time to set up the blockade, even though they were given numbers AND tickets that guaranteed them ONE Dragon's Peak. One dude pushed a kid out of the way and tried to snag 3-4 of the Triple Packs. NOT happening. He only got to ring up one.

Took down the number of one customer, who had a child with autism. He wanted the Lightning Rod pack REALLY bad, but they were gone before he got his turn due to the madness. When we get ANYTHING Lightning Rod in, it's his. I felt utterly terrible.

On the Apil 1st Blue Bash event, things will go more smoothly. I'll have a blockcade set up, and let 2-3 guests in at a time. Really tired of savages, and parents who don't understand how to teach their kids how to share.

This is the most disappointing part of these so called events. It seems that once the door opens, everyone seems to leave the rules of safety out the door. The strategy of putting the items in a cart behind the register is probably the best way to manage the crowd. Limiting the number of people entering is also another good idea. I really hate it when people run especially the adults because it gives the kids the wrong message.
---
-- PortalMasters.net -- Check out my site and get a chance to win Lightning Rod , Ignitor and other single character packs!
Tigorus Emerald Sparx Gems: 3589
#13 Posted: 15:34:55 27/03/2012
Quote: sykotek
@VendettaACS: I took the time to write all this and I think it would do you a lot of good to read it.

Hindsight is 20/20 and while I don't fault you for what occurred, you could have avoided this situation by simply not revealing the quantity of how many of something you have. This was the big mistake in my estimation. By the mere mentioning of the exact number of what you had in stock, you may have inadvertently caused this disorderly conduct to happen. People don't like waiting in line for nothing, but it's understood that it's first come, first served and quantities are limited, you don't owe them any more information than that. By not mentioning specifics, you don't risk whipping people into a frenzy.

If you plan on limiting the number of people into your store, try to start letting people in a bit at a time starting 15-20 minutes before you standard opening time. Officially, you would not be open to public, it is a special event, so you have full control over who comes in and does what sort of business with you. Also, that way, you don't get people attempting to cut the line to go "buy other things" in your store when you should only be focusing on those here for the event.

Please, do not make the mistake of limiting by family. That sort of thing is hard to prove and while you may think it's more fair, you're just setting yourself up for trouble. Each guest is a potential customer and you can not age discriminate. You can and should limit quantities for sure, but leave it as a per guest/per ticket/individual payment method basis. You can inform them that if a guest doesn't present you a ticket and their own payment method they don't get to buy it. You can inform everyone in line of that while passing out numbers and allow each guest time to secure their own payment method...once 20 minutes before opening comes around, you call the numbers, if they're not there, they're skipped.

If your guests don't get what they want, it wouldn't hurt to take down their information and promise to contact them when one comes in, I know you mentioned doing that for 1 guest, you should expand that to all. If you do not maintain control, you very well could have a riot on your hands, but it doesn't take much to have things running smoothly.

Best of luck on your future event.

I get what you're trying to say but most of your ideas won't work. I know a TRU manager that tried to let people in to start forming orderly lines before a previous event and to get people out of the cold. The next week he wasn't there any more because he was terminated for violating the rules. Corporate is very strict on when they can start letting people in and I haven't seen it since. Most of the employees would prefer to let people in a little early to organize the chaos a little but they just can't (based on previous experience). Second, the o.p. didn't add to the chaos by letting people know what's available. Trust me it would have happened anyway. Both Wednesday and Sunday were a mess. A person can be cool but people suck. There is no respect, manners, civility, just overall being a good person when it comes to stuff like this. It's like Black Friday except not as much to go around. I personally wish they'd let 5 people at a time into electronics and let them conduct themselves in an orderly fashion. I'm also saying that as a shopper and wouldn't mind waiting a little longer to avoid getting squished or accidentally bumping into little kids...people were actually using their kids as isle blocks...I hate people sometimes.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 15:36:45 27/03/2012 by Tigorus
#14 Posted: 16:12:11 27/03/2012 | Topic Creator
The next event will be handled better. We can't let anyone in early, not going to happen. The opening manager and myself tried to be civil and give them simple instructions.

I will not reveal quantity next time, THAT was a mistake on my end. I suppose by trying to be informative of quantity it awoke people's primal instincts of "ME ME ME!!!".

I'm going to be setting up stantions in front and in back o our display and let 2-3 people in at a time.
---
sykotek Yellow Sparx Gems: 1262
#15 Posted: 16:18:10 27/03/2012
@Tigorus: I've never worked for TRU, so I'll take your word for it that stores aren't allowed to let people into the store before it officially opens...even though various reports of the two most recent events from different users on this very site say otherwise. I don't know how TRU corporate works.

In regards to people's behaviors when highly sought after items are involved, I disagree. I've managed many a Black Friday crowd and I've personally been at both the events recently at my TRU and people didn't act like savages when events are run correctly. It's not guaranteed that people automatically act terrible at events such as these.

As for OP's store not fueling this behavior, imagine you're in a line with 30 other people and you're all starving for food. It's known to be first come first served, once they run out, they run out, it's understood. Everything is kept orderly except there's not enough food to go around. Now imagine that before they hand out the food, one of the people that is in charge decides instead to tell everyone that there isn't enough food for all 30 people, only half. What do you think is going to happen now? How would it differ from if that information wasn't given?
---
Volcanic Vault World Tour is temporarily on hold...waiting on dwattzdrummer
#16 Posted: 16:23:04 27/03/2012
I know it's not neccessarily good retail practice but if I was in charge I'd take a note of who was shoving and not sell to them... a simple sign that said something like "Pushing and shoving will not be tolerated."

I know you can't do that but I run my own store and I once told a kid I wouldn't sell him an ice cream unless he apologised for stealing a piece of candy from the Pick 'n' Mix... he did but boy did his mother yell at me... seriously the kid stole from me and all I wanted was an apology... heck... if she'd told him off herself I would have ignored the whole thing.

Edit: I'm glad Black Friday doesn't exist in my country... it sounds like hell for retailers like myself...
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 16:24:55 27/03/2012 by Deandria
Tigorus Emerald Sparx Gems: 3589
#17 Posted: 17:17:37 27/03/2012
Quote: sykotek
@Tigorus: I've never worked for TRU, so I'll take your word for it that stores aren't allowed to let people into the store before it officially opens...even though various reports of the two most recent events from different users on this very site say otherwise. I don't know how TRU corporate works.

In regards to people's behaviors when highly sought after items are involved, I disagree. I've managed many a Black Friday crowd and I've personally been at both the events recently at my TRU and people didn't act like savages when events are run correctly. It's not guaranteed that people automatically act terrible at events such as these.

As for OP's store not fueling this behavior, imagine you're in a line with 30 other people and you're all starving for food. It's known to be first come first served, once they run out, they run out, it's understood. Everything is kept orderly except there's not enough food to go around. Now imagine that before they hand out the food, one of the people that is in charge decides instead to tell everyone that there isn't enough food for all 30 people, only half. What do you think is going to happen now? How would it differ from if that information wasn't given?

lol your example is a little extreme. Food is a necessity and Skylanders are toys. One is needed to survive and one is not. These events do need to be handled better, I think on that we both agree.
jennacat4 Gold Sparx Gems: 2329
#18 Posted: 21:58:05 27/03/2012
CAN HASNT EVEN GOT ONE.ONE!
nowhere
---
http://youtu.be/gSSUco8AzDU
ItsJustMe Yellow Sparx Gems: 1273
#19 Posted: 22:22:29 27/03/2012
I actually think I got my TRU manager in trouble for my experience om 3/21. My issue involved a limit of one figure per customer and not allowing customers back in line. I did not like being refused sale despite being the only customer left because they thought my buying both Zook and LROD was greedy. They said they may be getting a second release of figures and if so I could get one. They did receive extra and still refused my sale. When I contacted corporate their biggest concern was that the associates opened the store twenty minutes early to sell skylanders.

I think this is funny because this is the only part of my experience I thought was good customer service.
GameMaster78 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3321
#20 Posted: 22:30:40 27/03/2012
File a complaint with the BBB. That will get their attention. No corporation outside of Walmart wants an F rating. Walmart doesn't care, because people will shop with them no matter what.
---
Wii U: GameMaster1178, XBL: GameMaster1178, PSN: megax28
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 22:30:52 27/03/2012 by GameMaster78
Capoeira Blue Sparx Gems: 585
#21 Posted: 01:14:28 28/03/2012
PLEASE get this on film. YouTube needs some Skylander riot videos!
Seewolfe78 Green Sparx Gems: 331
#22 Posted: 01:15:07 28/03/2012
I can't Speak for my local TRU on the 21st, I wasn't able to make it. On Dragons Peak Day there were about 12 people in line when I arrived 20 minutes before opening. All seemed in good spirits and were chatting amongst themselves while waiting for the store to open. About 10 minutes before opening the store employees posted a sign in the window stating that there was a limit of 1 Dragons Peak Adnevture (yeah that's how they spelled it.) Pack / Legendary Trigger Happy per customer, there were no other limits set in place. I'd like to add that there should have been a line of some sort. As it was everyone just clumped about the doorway with no rhyme or reason at all which led to people getting in before people that had been there longer. Even so, no one caused a stink over it and there was plenty of stock to go around. There were no fights, or pushing (that I noticed), and when I left, about 20 minutes after they opened there were still plenty more Dragons Peak and Legendary Trig. to go around to more shoppers coming in. There were no L.Rod or Zook anywhere to be found. All in all it seemed a success at my local store. Congrats to those who had a good day and my condolences to those who had bad experiences. I wish you good luck in your future Skylander hunting adventures!
---
GSOsmilie
Themrmusicman14 Blue Sparx Gems: 939
#23 Posted: 09:44:30 28/03/2012
I feel like the odd one out because i dont have DP but everywhere else has it
---
Champions: smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
bisylizzie Emerald Sparx Gems: 3913
#24 Posted: 09:57:31 28/03/2012
Quote: Themrmusicman14
I feel like the odd one out because i dont have DP but everywhere else has it

Don't worry, I don't have it either
gman2001 Blue Sparx Gems: 944
#25 Posted: 13:01:33 28/03/2012
in oklahoma city it was 1 skylander per person i picked up sunburn.
Rays Green Sparx Gems: 392
#26 Posted: 20:51:24 28/03/2012

"I'm not an ebay-er."

Wow... Something is wrong with those people. They took the collecting of Skylanders too far.
---
Youtube account: KoopaBoo2
PortalMaster #517721
Skylanders owned: smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie
ndheah Red Sparx Gems: 16
#27 Posted: 00:43:32 29/03/2012

"I'm not an ebay-er."

Where do you live? I want to avoid it...
---
Wisconsin Gamer!
UncleBuck Green Sparx Gems: 428
#28 Posted: 01:01:41 29/03/2012
Our event in north Texas was semi-orderly. The employees handed out 1 ticket per person... You had a choice of one adventure pack (had all 4), the new 3-pack, Cynder, Double-Trouble, and a few other popular singles, all of which were behind the counter. The shelves were stocked full of the older waves and you could get as many of those that you wanted.

No punching, shoving or fighting... I was pretty impressed. The only issue we had was that the store was telling everyone that is going to open 30 minutes early that morning, but they actually ended up opening 15 minutes later than the normal opening time, because they were handing out the tickets outside.
---
smiliesmiliesmiliesmilie~smiliesmiliesmiliesmilie~smiliesmiliesmiliesmilie~smiliesmiliesmiliesmilie~smiliesmiliesmiliesmilie~smiliesmiliesmiliesmilie~smiliesmiliesmiliesmilie~smiliesmiliesmiliesmilie~smiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me