Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
Page 1 of 1
Was it worth it? [CLOSED]
ialexonline Green Sparx Gems: 452
#1 Posted: 13:15:52 26/03/2012 | Topic Creator
You now have the gave for months. You have every expansion pack. You have almost every character and you're now out somewhere between 300-500 dollars (for the average user, thousands for GameMaster). So, was your purchase worth it? Are all your Skylanders worth the money you spent on the game and figures?

For me, it's a toss-up. I rarely play the game now and I havent beaten the 3DS version yet. I got Dragons Peak yesterday and haven't played it yet. I haven't beat all the other expansion levels either (I think i beat 2). I have 31 Skylanders so far (with another free one coming from walmart) and still plan to get Warnado Camo and Lightning Rod (because theyre on my list of favorites).

I have no idea how much i've spent but it has to be in the range of 400 or 500 because I have Console and 3DS and almost every figure. I'm not sure if I really feel it was worth it, but when Giants comes out and I can start the game with over 32 characters to choose from I might feel like I hit the jackpot. The game also supplied numerous hours of bonding time for me and my girlfriend. I convinced her dad to get her Skylanders for PS3 smilie

The online play also makes me feel like I got a better deal. Online games are usually free but usually cost a lot of money for full content. The fact that I have all these characters I can use online and unlock new things with and just play fun little games increases the value a bit, though I hope they add a LOT more to the online universe. It's lacking a lot right now.

So after all the money you (or your parents) spent, do you think it was all worth it?
---
Skylanders I own: smiliesmiliesmilie smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
Cinnamonster Green Sparx Gems: 128
#2 Posted: 14:05:55 26/03/2012
Yes and no, mostly no. Might snag Dragon's Peak, but that's it. I'm a college student that just got cut off from financial aid last year(science major, so my wallet is seriously feeling it), and I lack a steady job, so I prefer to buy games that keep me entertained for a long time, and are reasonably priced. I've put less money into just about every other game I have, and received 10 times the features and enjoyment as what Skylanders has brought me. As a game, it doesn't meet my standards. As collectibles, I'm okay with them. The figures are of a very nice quality for their price.In other words, I'm just ok with what I've spent so far, but if I spent anymore then I'd feel quite stupid. I won't be getting Giants, unless they manage to pull off some big changes before it's release.
---
Have: smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
Looking For: smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
wem Red Sparx Gems: 72
#3 Posted: 14:29:48 26/03/2012
We've spent about $170 so far on it and have nearly all characters and adventure packs. Just need zook, LR, Legendary 3 pack and 3 yet to be released, so maybe $225-250 when it's said and done. We will get them all for completion purposes and to unlock everything in the game 100%. But we still have a bunch of stuff to sell off, which isn't doable right now given the flooded marketplace (save for the rare/HTF figures, which are all ones I need anyway). I'd guess we'll be around $75-100 into the game when those all sell off. Also, we got a lot as x-mas gifts from others.

We've gotten hours and hours of play out of the game and my kids get lots of play out of the figures beyond the game. We've just discovered the battle modes, which are a lot of fun too.

So for us, it's a resounding YES! Well worth the money we've spent.

Edited: Just got Empire of Ice on Amazon for $20.00 with Hunger Games III and free shipping. Pretty cool!
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 14:40:18 26/03/2012 by wem
JAP28 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1097
#4 Posted: 14:41:19 26/03/2012
I would say yes and no too...
A great experience but it does get very expensive to collect everything!

The Good....
Skylanders is pretty cool though, with a console version, a 3Ds version, and some PC mini games. Cool to come on this site and talk about it too!
Never had a game that was so cross-platform like it. Love the easy game play story and music. The whole over all concept is amazing!
Plus I look at Skylanders more like collecting Star Wars figures or having a spoon collection.

The Bad....
I was hoping for more games, mini games, and game-play ....anything??? Wanted just more content for, 3Ds, downloadable content on console , on-line play, an arcade game ect...There is so much they could do!
They almost seem more focused on the figures? Lots of money spent, I have never spent this much on one game before!

I am looking forward to Giants just not sure I will be collecting everything.
---
All Current Skylanders just no pearl smilie
GameMaster78 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3321
#5 Posted: 14:59:57 26/03/2012
Worth it for me. Having over 1320 games, you want games like this to diversify your collection.

It's never hard to have a game collection that amounts to nothing more than a disc/cartridge and its case. It's games like Skylanders, DJ Hero, Guitar Hero, Rock Band, Steel Batallion, Eye of Judgment, E-Reader Nintendo card games, and fighting games which brought about the surge of fighting sticks, that makes a collection look more varied than most collections.

20 years from now, when everything is either digitally downloaded, or lack imagination in the peripheral department, certain gamers will be able to show their diverse collection of physical games and accessories.
---
Wii U: GameMaster1178, XBL: GameMaster1178, PSN: megax28
GamerDrone Emerald Sparx Gems: 3287
#6 Posted: 19:16:26 26/03/2012
It's worth it. I gotten some deals on the figures. My kids enjoy playing and that's all that matters. If it wasn't Skylanders then we would be buying other stuff. Some TRU stores not getting figures, while other did, sucks, but I'll get the ones we don't have eventually.
DrillSarge Gold Sparx Gems: 2327
#7 Posted: 19:20:50 26/03/2012
Buying all thw figures....yes. buying doubles to keep in the box amd a toy fair cynder? No . There is no way Ill get out what I put into them back.
xerokills Yellow Sparx Gems: 1181
#8 Posted: 19:21:34 26/03/2012
If you have the money, it's worth it. The game has a lot of depth for a "kids" game. You get to essentially choose a path of improved attacks on each character, tons of characters to play, a battle mode, story mode, expansion levels, a large fan base, and future titles coming out. I have a feeling our skylanders will continue to be used in future expansions and that's a cool thing. So it's worth it. For me as an adult, I am loving it. And when my kids get old enough, they can enjoy it too. smilie So that's my 2 pennies.
---
"I'm disgusted, and repulsed, and...I can't look away..."
Sunny Castanets Gold Sparx Gems: 2231
#9 Posted: 19:22:15 26/03/2012
I've found it worthwhile. It's a game that I am happy to play through over and over and over again; a rarity for me nowadays.
---
Quote: Tashiji
Sunny, as always, you are so darn smart.
Grandlethal Green Sparx Gems: 174
#10 Posted: 19:29:49 26/03/2012
100% worth it for me. I got this game for my Daughter, but the wife and I have probably got more enjoyment out of it in the long run. While I do wish there was a little more to the game, there is definitely a level of challenge associated with certain aspects of the game. We actually just spent the weekend leveling some of the characters we haven't had a chance to play much... it ended up being a weekend of maxing out characters! I now hove 16 skylanders that are level 10, fully upgraded and have done all 23 of the heroic challenges I have available.
In the end, I would say I have spent about $250 on the game and have gotten hours of enjoyment out of it (as has my wife and daughter). I've spend way more money in the past going out to movies that have disappointed me in the end lol.

On a side note: what is up with Drobots challenge being like 1,00,000 times worse than every other challenge?? I am starting to think it is actually impossible with a few characters (fully upgraded sonic boom for example).
---
Owned: All except - smilie and smilie
GameMaster78 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3321
#11 Posted: 19:30:08 26/03/2012
Quote: DrillSarge
Buying all thw figures....yes. buying doubles to keep in the box amd a toy fair cynder? No . There is no way Ill get out what I put into them back.

One should never buy anything with the intent on holding onto it, in hopes it draws a profit later on.

Nothing is a gaurentee. However, having a sealed set - for me - holds more than one meaning.

1: One day, there won't be many if any sealed sets of these. Take into account, some characters will be getting reposed, so the originals will be more obscure, especially in packaging.

2: Gaming is a hobby. I never buy anything gaming related to make a profit. I buy it, because it makes my game collection or game room look more varied.

My friend has this bad habit. He says he's a gamer, but everything he buys that is rare, I know he is doing just because he thinks it could go up in value later on.
---
Wii U: GameMaster1178, XBL: GameMaster1178, PSN: megax28
Markster91 Blue Sparx Gems: 804
#12 Posted: 19:38:40 26/03/2012
Hard to say, since I buy for siblings and myself(very little doubles). I think the game was to short but all the characters are unique and PVP is always challenging. If I had all the money I spent, it would just go towards food and gas, which I manage without it.
Gaiaknight Blue Sparx Gems: 792
#13 Posted: 19:46:34 26/03/2012
ima keep it short and sweet very worth it
---
smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie|smiliesmiliesmiliesmilie|smiliesmiliesmiliesmilie|smiliesmiliesmiliesmilie|smiliesmiliesmiliesmilie|smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
exosquad Gold Sparx Gems: 2667
#14 Posted: 19:47:07 26/03/2012
the search and the hunt wasnt worth it.
but the money ive spent (retail prices) on all my figures was worth it.
---
I am going to have 1 of everything. someday...
Sisqo4ever Green Sparx Gems: 162
#15 Posted: 19:51:30 26/03/2012
I would say yes for the most part, I'm in the army, I have a husband and son. So I need some me time. The game helps me relax, and I can collect cool figures while at it. Money isn't a problem for us. So yes it was worth it.
spyroflame0487 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3866
#16 Posted: 19:59:31 26/03/2012
Yes I believe so.

While the game does lack a lot of extra playtime, you're still given extra chapters and stuff. Essentially DLC, but rather than just spending money for it in a console's marketplace, you have a physical figure/toy which makes it worth it to me. And I'm guessing that's why people have been so receptive to it.

And honestly, despite the claims of not having a lot of content, I've spent over 75 hours playing the game, so I'm definitely getting my money's worth out of replayability and collecting.

Which is another reason; I love collecting. I collect a few different lines and these Skylanders blow them out of the water not only in their function, but in their sculpt and design.

I also enjoy hunting for the figures although I'd much rather have a guarantee that I'll find one somewhere. It's a little bit disheartening after looking through 10 different stores only to go home with nothing. But boy that moment when you find something you need is like no other.
---
Why did Uncle Peter have an interdimentional portal in his attic?
Spyro's entire collection! [Updated June 28th 15]
Sisqo4ever Green Sparx Gems: 162
#17 Posted: 20:06:00 26/03/2012
Quote: spyroflame0487
Yes I believe so.

While the game does lack a lot of extra playtime, you're still given extra chapters and stuff. Essentially DLC, but rather than just spending money for it in a console's marketplace, you have a physical figure/toy which makes it worth it to me. And I'm guessing that's why people have been so receptive to it.

And honestly, despite the claims of not having a lot of content, I've spent over 75 hours playing the game, so I'm definitely getting my money's worth out of replayability and collecting.

Which is another reason; I love collecting. I collect a few different lines and these Skylanders blow them out of the water not only in their function, but in their sculpt and design.

I also enjoy hunting for the figures although I'd much rather have a guarantee that I'll find one somewhere. It's a little bit disheartening after looking through 10 different stores only to go home with nothing. But boy that moment when you find something you need is like no other.

I agree with you, I'm a collector too. And like I said before I live a busy life, but I have played hours at a time on skylanders. There's a lot u can do. I have ps3 which to 100 percent the game you get trophies which been trying to get them all cause it raises your level on the ps3. And the game it self has all the heroic challenges that u can play for every single chapter, and all the levels u can get 100 percent completion which is fun. And u can fully up grade all ur skylanders and max all their stats which most people don't that's why they don't know how really strong they can be. And level them completely up. There is a lot.
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me