Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
Page 1 of 1
Just out of curiousity [CLOSED]
lemmingluv Ripto Gems: 907
#1 Posted: 14:31:39 09/03/2012 | Topic Creator
Now that a sequel is coming out, does that mean that they're going to stop releasing current skylanders? Because if so, that's not fair to the people who's life doesn't revolve around checking several stores ALL the time to get a skylander.

There are literally NO skylanders anymore in the closest city. The racks are completely cleaned of skylanders in Best Buy, Walmart, and Toys r Us. How is that fair at all to me or people like me who only have the original three and the Legendaries?

(if there's already a topic about this, please just link it to me and I'll close this one)
tiker Blue Sparx Gems: 568
#2 Posted: 14:41:48 09/03/2012
I read that they are trying to fix the supply problem. I'm willing to bet they'll keep making them throughout the summer but will stop in the fall when the next game comes out.
---
Collection List and image
Wiseman Green Sparx Gems: 333
#3 Posted: 14:42:48 09/03/2012
I believe they're going to stop releasing the old ones, But soon after, they're re-releasing the same skylanders with new poses. So you should still be able to find them.
---
** Avatar Creator - nitendofan92 **
Xerobull Green Sparx Gems: 431
#4 Posted: 15:19:41 09/03/2012
It's a company. There's a demand. There will be a supply.
---
smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie
t7gga Yellow Sparx Gems: 1726
#5 Posted: 15:21:27 09/03/2012
hmmm, with clothing, plush etc. etc. etc. just starting to be licensed ?

of course they won't stop making the first characters.

no way will they stop milking a big fat cash cow.
GameMaster78 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3321
#6 Posted: 15:35:13 09/03/2012
They have said NO Skylander will ever be discontinued.

The sequel supports the original Skylanders, so they will always be sold. They would suffer massively, if they released a sequel showing a total of 53 Skylanders in a menu, but only sold 16.

They will continue to package assortments (bleh) with previous Skylanders, while selling new ones.
---
Wii U: GameMaster1178, XBL: GameMaster1178, PSN: megax28
Deandria Green Sparx Gems: 304
#7 Posted: 15:40:36 09/03/2012
Quote: GameMaster78

I've heard that... but I was a little unsure about whether that includes the Legendary/Dark variants or not...
---
Own: smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie
Really Want: smilie smilie
Hexin_Wishes Yellow Sparx Gems: 1522
#8 Posted: 18:18:29 09/03/2012

The sequel supports the original Skylanders, so they will always be sold. They would suffer massively, if they released a sequel showing a total of 53 Skylanders in a menu, but only sold 16.

They will continue to package assortments (bleh) with previous Skylanders, while selling new ones.

I don't think that is the case. They won't sell the current figures anymore after the remodeled versions come out. I mean aside from collector's, there would be no incentive to buy the remodeled versions. Most people are fine with one.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 18:19:30 09/03/2012 by Hexin_Wishes
tiker Blue Sparx Gems: 568
#9 Posted: 18:35:43 09/03/2012
That depends... the remodeled figures won't work with the current game.

If the plan is to continue selling the first (current) game then they will have to continue to create the current characters to work with it.

If the current game falls off the shelves and disappears forever when Giants comes out then the current characters will go as well.
---
Collection List and image
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 18:36:23 09/03/2012 by tiker
Madel Blue Sparx Gems: 584
#10 Posted: 18:38:34 09/03/2012
Quote: Deandria

I've heard that... but I was a little unsure about whether that includes the Legendary/Dark variants or not...

I think that out of any of the figures, the currently released Legendaries are at the greatest risk of not being available. Since they are only variants of already released Champions, they aren't necessary to play the game.

That being said, I doubt Activision will discontinue the Legendaries. The Legendaries are bringing in money for the company. Activision won't let that go.
---
That's why all the Gryffindors sing: Weasley is our king.
#11 Posted: 18:49:29 09/03/2012
Quote: Hexin_Wishes

I don't think that is the case. They won't sell the current figures anymore after the remodeled versions come out. I mean aside from collector's, there would be no incentive to buy the remodeled versions. Most people are fine with one.

They will sell current figures, because people who get their start on the sequel, may want to track down a copy of the first game on the aftermarket, due to the fact stores have to make room for the second game, since they come in huge boxes.

Those reposed Skylanders only amount to 24 of 37 original Skylanders, so there's no reason to discontinue 37 original Skylanders, only to release 24 of them.

There is incentive for people like me, and others, to buy a blue Bash, silver, gold and Toy Fair Skylanders, so there is a reason why people still will. I plan on buying 1 of every reposed Skylander, just because they're different in pose.

Quote: Madel

I think that out of any of the figures, the currently released Legendaries are at the greatest risk of not being available. Since they are only variants of already released Champions, they aren't necessary to play the game.

That being said, I doubt Activision will discontinue the Legendaries. The Legendaries are bringing in money for the company. Activision won't let that go.

Reason why I think Legendaries are safe, is because they are different ingame. They're a part of the Skylander menu. They have their own spots to sit next to Skylanders on the online game (unlike true variants like gold and silvers), and on the 3DS version, they're right out in the open when you look at your list of Skylanders.

What I see happening with Legendaries, is this. They will appear every couple of months, for a couple of shipments, then go bye-bye for a couple of months, before making another appearance.

Like I said above, ALL Skylanders are compatible with the second game, so Activision will want people to buy them, to fill up the Skylander list that I'm sure is embedded into Giants.

Also, like I said above, some people will want to find the first game, if they get their start on the second game and enjoy it. How can they, if figures are gone? That's why they said figures will never be discontinued. That's like saying that since Pokemon Black and White stars 150+ brand new Pokemon, they shouldn't have made it where the original 493 Pokemon even existed. That would have been plain dumb, and customers would have gone overboard.

Skylanders = Pokemon. In that, I mean eventually, there could be over 100 Skylanders. Like Gold, Silver and Crystal Pokemon weren't compatible with the previous game, the previous Pokemon were forward compatible and will be for any future sequels.
---
SkyDaddy Blue Sparx Gems: 692
#12 Posted: 19:24:56 09/03/2012
I doubt it that the first 32 figures (original pose) will be reprinted or reproduced once the sequel is released. They need to focus on the supply for the sequel so as to avoid the huge imbalance of the supply and demand.

Quote:
Also, like I said above, some people will want to find the first game, if they get their start on the second game and enjoy it. How can they, if figures are gone?

Tough luck then. I don't see Activision catering to a smaller market of people who never bought the first product when it was in circulation. I mean why have products you both own compete with each other on the same shelf space while you can simply stock the newer products which are bound to sell better. The last thing you want as a company is losing sales of your new merchandise because your older products are still on the shelves.
---
-- PortalMasters.net -- Check out my site and get a chance to win Lightning Rod , Ignitor and other single character packs!
Hexin_Wishes Yellow Sparx Gems: 1522
#13 Posted: 22:46:15 09/03/2012
Quote: Hexin_Wishes

They will sell current figures, because people who get their start on the sequel, may want to track down a copy of the first game on the aftermarket, due to the fact stores have to make room for the second game, since they come in huge boxes.

Those reposed Skylanders only amount to 24 of 37 original Skylanders, so there's no reason to discontinue 37 original Skylanders, only to release 24 of them.

There is incentive for people like me, and others, to buy a blue Bash, silver, gold and Toy Fair Skylanders, so there is a reason why people still will. I plan on buying 1 of every reposed Skylander, just because they're different in pose.

Quote: Madel

Reason why I think Legendaries are safe, is because they are different ingame. They're a part of the Skylander menu. They have their own spots to sit next to Skylanders on the online game (unlike true variants like gold and silvers), and on the 3DS version, they're right out in the open when you look at your list of Skylanders.

What I see happening with Legendaries, is this. They will appear every couple of months, for a couple of shipments, then go bye-bye for a couple of months, before making another appearance.

Like I said above, ALL Skylanders are compatible with the second game, so Activision will want people to buy them, to fill up the Skylander list that I'm sure is embedded into Giants.

Also, like I said above, some people will want to find the first game, if they get their start on the second game and enjoy it. How can they, if figures are gone? That's why they said figures will never be discontinued. That's like saying that since Pokemon Black and White stars 150+ brand new Pokemon, they shouldn't have made it where the original 493 Pokemon even existed. That would have been plain dumb, and customers would have gone overboard.

Skylanders = Pokemon. In that, I mean eventually, there could be over 100 Skylanders. Like Gold, Silver and Crystal Pokemon weren't compatible with the previous game, the previous Pokemon were forward compatible and will be for any future sequels.

I am talking about the casual customers. Most won't go for a reposed figure that just does the same thing as the previous version. It's ridiculous.

Not such a great analogy. The sacred Pokemon series put out on average 150ish new Pokemon every 3-5 years. For many of the Pokemon games you don't need the original game to find an older Pokemon. BW may not have any older Pokemon native to the region but the Dream World helps bridge that by having a few. Also, no one went overboard when you couldn't find Charmander/Bulbasaur/Squirtle after RBY (bar HGSS).

The data on the previous generations were forward compatible (except RBYGSC is not compatible with RSE-onwards) but the games themselves were discontinued once the new games came out. They're not just going to leave it at 24 remodeled figures either...

tl;dr version: Pokemon and Skylanders aren't really the same. "Never discontinuing" does not mean "we'll keep the same molds going after making new ones".
#14 Posted: 23:09:22 09/03/2012
I don't mean to sound arrogant or anything, but anytime I've come with info, I've been 99% correct. The only thing I could say I was wrong about, is the timeframe for the re-release of the Legendary 3-Pack.

This is all common sense. They won't discontinue ANY Skylanders. Why? Well for one, they said so. I'm going to trust someone who works on the game or is tied to Activision, rather than some random joe who wakes up and gets on the net. That's one part of the common sense. Another reason, is because you don't discontinue 37 Skylanders, to make way for 24 reposed ones.

They also know that if characters weren't forward compatible, parents wouldn't buy the product. Why? Because that's more money out of their pocket, when they will feel like they should be entitled to save some cash. It's not smart business. Activision, despite the fact I hate them, runs a smart business, no matter how much they milk.

The third part of common sense will actually be a replay to SkyDaddy's statement that they need to focus on new wave stuff. HELLO!? Don't you think if that was the case, they would be doing that now? Let's see here -

1: They go from assortments of 12 singles, to 6.
2: In said box of 6 singles, they always release 1 of every NEW Skylander, while packing it with 3 previously released Skylanders.
3: They do this, knowing how much demand there is for the new Skylanders, but still only pack 1 per box.

That's simple logic. If they did that with Giants, they would be doing it now. Wave 2 would have consisted of -

- 2 Hex
- 2 Dino Rang
- 2 Wrecking Ball

Wave 3 would have consisted of -

- 2 Cynder
- 2 Double Trouble
- 1 Whirlwind
- 1 Drill Sergeant

Wave 4 should be -

- 2 Zook
- 2 Lightning Rod
- 2 Ignitor

Instead of focusing on previously released characters.

NOPE! This is how it will go.

Let's pretend wave 1 of Giants consisted of 2 NEW regular sized Skylanders. In a box of 6, it will probably be 1 NEW, 1 NEW, 4 OLD (which can also include reposed, which is still old). Well, that's unless they get smart.

The logic of them focusing on newer figure for Giants, which leaves no room for past figures is flawed, because they would be doing that now. They aren't.

I don't plan on being wrong, mainly because they already stated that no Skylander will be discontinued. Aparently I'm not the only one who saw them say that somewhere in an interview before. But the fact stands, they will keep the characters in circulation, and I can even call this now, so remember this -

"They WILL release a triple pack with Wham Shell in it. However, it will be packed with two Skylanders from Giants."

Think about it. 8 normal size Skylanders for Giants. 1 Skylander from the first game, who can't be in a triple pack, because all triple packs are filled out.

8+1 = 9 = 3 triple packs for Giants.

You guys will see.
---
SkyDaddy Blue Sparx Gems: 692
#15 Posted: 23:55:55 09/03/2012
When I mentioned about the figures being "reproduced" or "reprinted", I am talking specifically about the current version of the product and any revised or remodeled version is what I would consider a new product. I know that the current characters will be reused because of the story that Activision invested on each of them. What will stop is the current version of the character from the first game. I don't believe they will keep producing the same figure in the same pose and the same model over and over again. The current skylander figures (pose and model) from the first game will at one point get "discontinued". The characters however can and will probably have a different model or version on another release just like what they will be doing to a couple of the current characters for the sequel.

@GameMaster78: Also the statement "they (Activision) already stated that no Skylander will be discontinued" could have different meanings. They could be talking about keeping forward compatibility. This ensures that any future version of the video game will support older figures. They could mean that they'll keep reprinting the characters in newer models or newer treatments like the blue translucent bash. They could even mean both. The statement could also be typical company PR crap which really has value to me because they can pretty much do what they want. No company in their right mind will tell be upfront about when they expect a product to die. It is never good for business.
---
-- PortalMasters.net -- Check out my site and get a chance to win Lightning Rod , Ignitor and other single character packs!
#16 Posted: 00:05:54 10/03/2012
They could. However, 24 doesn't equal 37. That means until any given Skylander gets a new pose, they will continue to be produced in their current state, regardless of sequel.

We never know. They could have reposed 24 Skylanders for certain reasons. They could have done Zook, because his rocket launcher is very out there, making it hard to probably transport with other Skylanders or easily breakable. Now he holds his bazooka in one hand and rocket in another, making it pretty vertical and non-intrusive.

I mean, why 24 reposed, instead of all 37 (pending they redo legendaries and Dark Spyro)? Why was 24 the magic number, when they could have chose to repose them all?

Doesn't it make one think? Why are they even making reposed originals, when they should be focusing on getting the originals out? We've already seen 2 Zooks, but he hasn't even streeted yet.
---
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me