Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
Page 1 of 1
Problem with parents [CLOSED]
Blazier Yellow Sparx Gems: 1711
#1 Posted: 08:11:18 06/03/2012 | Topic Creator
When I got skylanders a few days later I asked my dad if I could go get more skylanders and he said that is really stupid if you want more of those stupid things and when I ask my mum she says no all the time. Can you give me your story and some advice because I really want more
---
BLAZIER APPROVED
Monsinour Blue Sparx Gems: 972
#2 Posted: 08:26:45 06/03/2012
do chores around the house to earn money. They will be that much sweeter if you earn them.

BTW, your grammar sucks.
---
My kids own :
useless pieces of plastic
Not only that, we passed up 3 of them that we didn't have today. Uselesd carp...
Himewad Yellow Sparx Gems: 1819
#3 Posted: 11:24:44 06/03/2012
Yep. Ask them what you can do to EARN them. They should respect the fact that you aren't looking for a handout, and will probably work something out with you. Don't expect it to just be a couple of chores though. You may have to work for it for a little while. And there's nothing wrong with that.
---
BEST PILOT IN ALL OF SKYLANDS ... WAIT FOR IT ... BOOM!
bisylizzie Emerald Sparx Gems: 3913
#4 Posted: 11:56:23 06/03/2012
Yeah, do something to get yourself some pocket money and buy them yourself - as my parents used to say, when you have pocket money it's your choice what you spend it on - just make sure you don't waste it on something stupid

Or ask for some for birthdays/christmasses
#5 Posted: 12:06:09 06/03/2012 | Topic Creator
I have my own money but my parents say not to buy skylanders with my money
---
BLAZIER APPROVED
#6 Posted: 12:16:36 06/03/2012
Well, you're in a tough spot then. Seems strange though if it's your money. Is it Christmas or birthday money? What do they usually let you spend your money on?
---
#7 Posted: 12:30:15 06/03/2012
Well, let me shove my take on this...

It was October, shortly before Skylanders was due to release. We had just taken a load of games into various stores to work out trade in prices for them, before stopping at ASDA where they had "accidently" put Drill Sarges on the shelves, and, at that time, were removing them off the shelf. We got the prices for our games, before noticing the Skylanders and asking "How much are the packs?" The guy at the counter turned round, opened the cupboard and got one of the starter packs out and scanned it. "Well, they're released on Friday, but they are *price*." My dad nodded, before noting down the prices of the games we had asked for prices for and we went home. On Friday, we went back to ASDA, with all our games and proceeded to trade them in. The guy at the counter recognised us, and asked if we wanted Skylanders, as well as Drill Sarge. my dad looked at us(me and my brother) and replied positively. "And, also a PS3" The guy nodded, before going to get the console we wanted. When he returned, he processed the games, my dad paid for the excess and we left the store.

Then, we went to Gamestation, with the rest of our games, traded them in and got the 3DS version, along with the volcanic vault(and the ICO and Shadow of the Colossus collection).

So that's our story of how we got the game and Drill Sarge.

Whirlwind, I bought with my own money the SECOND we saw Tesco had them. Other ones were birthday presents, except Zap who I traded for myself. And Spyro, who I bought myself

So that's the story of how we got the games and the figures.

Maybe leave asking for more figures for a while? It's not usually a good idea to ask for too much relating to one thing at once... We only got Drill sarge with the game as he was an ASDA exclusive. How recently did you get the game? Leave it a month or so, and maybe they'll warm up to the idea.

But again, it's your money and you should be able to spend it on what you want
Hexin_Wishes Yellow Sparx Gems: 1522
#8 Posted: 13:34:32 06/03/2012
Quote: Blazier

I don't mean to step on anyone's toes (especially parents because I believe a parent has every right to discipline their child) here but it is your money after all. I don't see the purpose or the lesson in stopping you from getting what you want.

Tell me is there any way for you to simply go to the store and get it yourself? That seems to be the only logical solution after the whole reward system.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 13:35:41 06/03/2012 by Hexin_Wishes
#9 Posted: 13:58:28 06/03/2012
Quote: Hexin_Wishes

I don't mean to step on anyone's toes (especially parents because I believe a parent has every right to discipline their child) here but it is your money after all. I don't see the purpose or the lesson in stopping you from getting what you want.

Tell me is there any way for you to simply go to the store and get it yourself? That seems to be the only logical solution after the whole reward system.

Bad idea. Don't go behind your parent's back to get what you want. Talk to them. And if it really is YOUR money (like money you get from doing chores, or from holidays or birthday), then you need to explain that this is something you want to buy with that money. Most parents will listen if their kid talks to them.
---
JAP28 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1097
#10 Posted: 13:58:58 06/03/2012
Yes that is a hard spot to be in....not easy being green as Kermit says! haha Well not easy being 10 years-old either.
Maybe your parents also think you play too much video-games and by buying more figures will contribute to your play time increasing!
They also may think it is a waste of money! If you just recently got the starter pack they might think it is too early for more Skylanders too.
Still seems strange, when I was 10 ....I got a paper rout and was able to buy what I wanted!

I would just talk to them and do not push it too much.
---
All Current Skylanders just no pearl smilie
#11 Posted: 15:19:12 06/03/2012
Quote: JAP28

Maybe your parents also think you play too much video-games and by buying more figures will contribute to your play time increasing!
They also may think it is a waste of money! If you just recently got the starter pack they might think it is too early for more Skylanders too.

I thought this as well. Plus, they clearly don't think too highly of the marketing strategy either. Not that they're wrong. It is a bit ridiculous to sell an incomplete game (ultimately, that's what Skylanders is due to all data of the figures being on the disc).

Quote: Himewad

Bad idea. Don't go behind your parent's back to get what you want. Talk to them. And if it really is YOUR money (like money you get from doing chores, or from holidays or birthday), then you need to explain that this is something you want to buy with that money. Most parents will listen if their kid talks to them.

It seems as though the OP has those adamant parents who refuse to let him get them though. I mean, if they already forbid him or her from getting the figures with his or her own money, how would a talk really help?

I didn't post it as the ideal method, you guys already said the "reward system" approach and I agree. I said buying it on his or her own would be the only solution after that doesn't work. Though, he or she would have to understand and accept the repercussions should the parents actually find out. He or she knows his/her parents better than any of us anyways.
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 15:22:05 06/03/2012 by Hexin_Wishes
Ali1020 Blue Sparx Gems: 750
#12 Posted: 16:35:05 06/03/2012
AS a parent, one who got the game for her own child, I have to agree with other posters. I would ask that you earn the right to buy the figures even if it is your own money. Work toward the "reward" of getting additional figures. The economy is tight and since the figures have jumped in price, I am sure your parents see it as really a useless expense. Parents know kids go through toys like water, and sometimes it's hard for a parent justify spending your money on more "toys". I cannot tell you how much my daughter asks for and I am always saying "no". I know for me these last three months have been stressful finding the characters.

See for me I got involved in the game as well to play along with her. Perhaps your parents don't know the full scope of the game? Perhaps have your dad or mom play the game with you? I don't know your parents, but I limit my daughter to an hour a day for Skylanders. Plus when we play the game together, it's like a bonding thing. She has her favorites and I have mine.

So don't get discouraged just yet. I know it's tough when a parent says "no", but I am sure they have their reasons. Maybe just sit and talk to them, don't push, "but I want it, but the game needs it," that will tune them right out. Play Battle mode with your dad, or mom, lots of parents ( and I am not saying yours) aren't involved with what their kids are into. I rather have my daughter play Skylanders, than some "rip the spine out of your enemy" game.

So take the suggestions the other posters gave you, and take mine if you wish. I wish you good luck.
kappapopm Ripto Gems: 1186
#13 Posted: 16:44:27 06/03/2012
i will take that parents side on this and say, smart parents. the skylanders have become a joke and is just a easy money grab for activision milking route.
voodude Blue Sparx Gems: 715
#14 Posted: 17:55:52 06/03/2012
so why they bought you the game in the first place if they consider skylanders "stupid things"?
---
smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilieITALIAsmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
Ellioy Green Sparx Gems: 469
#15 Posted: 18:12:01 06/03/2012
Quote: kappapopm
i will take that parents side on this and say, smart parents. the skylanders have become a joke and is just a easy money grab for activision milking route.

i don't think about skylanders much i don't want to get collecter fever like *sigh* MY EX-FRIEND
---
AROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 18:12:35 06/03/2012 by Ellioy
Cinnamonster Green Sparx Gems: 128
#16 Posted: 20:13:12 06/03/2012
Quote: JAP28

I thought this as well. Plus, they clearly don't think too highly of the marketing strategy either. Not that they're wrong. It is a bit ridiculous to sell an incomplete game (ultimately, that's what Skylanders is due to all data of the figures being on the disc).

Quote: Himewad

It seems as though the OP has those adamant parents who refuse to let him get them though. I mean, if they already forbid him or her from getting the figures with his or her own money, how would a talk really help?

I didn't post it as the ideal method, you guys already said the "reward system" approach and I agree. I said buying it on his or her own would be the only solution after that doesn't work. Though, he or she would have to understand and accept the repercussions should the parents actually find out. He or she knows his/her parents better than any of us anyways.

The OP is obviously a child. Never encourage a child to disobey their parents, especially for toys. A lot of stores won't even sell to children, because there is the risk of an angry parent coming in a few hours later with the child to complain that they shouldn't have been doing business with their child without parental permission. I've been in the same situation as OP. Parents want children to learn how to save money and wait for better things, instead of blowing it all away on toys the second they get it. Doing chores, getting good grades, and behaving over time can change even very adamant opinions, and is the best route to take. Disobeying parents shouldn't even be entertained, at least not for toys. Ultimately, if OP's parents don't want him to have anymore Skylanders, and there is nothing he can do civilly to change that, then he will just have live without them. It sucks to not be able to collect like he wants, but Skylanders are not a necessity in life.
---
Have: smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
Looking For: smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
Sunny Castanets Gold Sparx Gems: 2231
#17 Posted: 20:13:30 06/03/2012
I can actually see where the parents are coming from on this. My parents wouldn't let me be stupid with my money when I was a kid (sure, I was allowed to buy things, but a lot of the time, I would ask my parents first). Most of the time, they were right when they advised against me buying something because I certainly can't think of anything I wasn't allowed to buy that I didn't regret picking up.

Yeah, it sucks, but there are bigger, better things out there. I would say to try and talk with them maturely though and see if they would compromise at least letting you get a couple of Skylanders, if that's what you want to do, but I'm sure their intentions are good.
---
Quote: Tashiji
Sunny, as always, you are so darn smart.
Rays Green Sparx Gems: 392
#18 Posted: 20:14:20 06/03/2012

The parents gave the money so they get to choose how the child can spend the money.
---
Youtube account: KoopaBoo2
PortalMaster #517721
Skylanders owned: smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie
#19 Posted: 20:29:04 06/03/2012
Quote: Rays
The parents gave the money so they get to choose how the child can spend the money.

I don't agree with that statement. That's like saying if the government gives you a tax refund, they get to choose how you can spend your money. If you're a democrat, I can understand why you might say that, though.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 20:29:42 06/03/2012 by Himewad
#20 Posted: 20:30:09 06/03/2012
Let me tell you girls a little something, Don't tell me what to do. I'm not your child so don't tell me what I can and can't write as a reply.

That is absolutely ridiculous if the child has honestly earned the money.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 20:31:06 06/03/2012 by Hexin_Wishes
#21 Posted: 20:31:56 06/03/2012
Let me tell you girls a little something, Don't tell me what to do. I'm not your child so don't tell me what I can and can't write as a reply.

That is ridiculous if the child has honestly earned the money.

He is still a child though, and legally they parents still control what that child may or may not spend that money on.
---
Have: smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
#22 Posted: 20:35:43 06/03/2012
Quote: Cinnamonster

He is still a child though, and legally they parents still control what that child may or may not spend that money on.

That is correct but what real lesson does that teach? The child works hard and earns their money yet are forbidden to get what they want. That is not very encouraging.

Disclaimer: I don't really condone misbehaving against a parent unless the parents are being unreasonable. However, we are flying off the handle. My response was meant to be the last resort, not the first. I mean there's no other answer after talking it out with your parents regarding a reward system.
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 20:39:02 06/03/2012 by Hexin_Wishes
Rays Green Sparx Gems: 392
#23 Posted: 20:41:43 06/03/2012

That is absolutely ridiculous if the child has honestly earned the money.

Not earned. They get the money. Chores should be done around the house for no money.
---
Youtube account: KoopaBoo2
PortalMaster #517721
Skylanders owned: smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie
#24 Posted: 20:57:49 06/03/2012

That is correct but what real lesson does that teach? The child works hard and earns their money yet are forbidden to get what they want. That is not very encouraging.

There are many lessons that can be learned when a parent tells a child they can't buy something. The biggest one is to save your money and spend wisely. In their minds they may be thinking he is going to blow all his money away on toys, and be bored with them in a week. That is why I wasn't allowed to just blow away $20 on Pokemon cards after a birthday or holiday, even though I knew plenty of kids that did. Maybe they are in a situation where buying toys is inappropriate. I grew up poor. When we would go through periods where we were only eating Kraft Mac and cheese or ramen noodles everyday, we(my twin and I) weren't allowed to buy "luxury" items, even if the money was "ours." There are so many reasons why his parents could have told him no, but we only know his side of the story. Maybe he hasn't been behaving well in his parents eyes? Maybe his parents just don't want anymore of the toys in their house. I grew up with kids that were never allowed to own video games, even if they saved up the money for it. Same with pets, other electronics, makeup, piercings, and so on. If you had a 7 year old daughter that saved up money, and all she wanted red lipstick and eyeshadow, would you let her buy it and wear it wherever she wanted? Most parents wouldn't. For whatever reason, which none of us know, these parents are saying no, and I'm sure it's not just because they like tormenting their child. Let these parents raise their child the way they see fit, and encourage him to behave, instead of go behind their backs.
---
#25 Posted: 21:08:03 06/03/2012

Disclaimer: I don't really condone misbehaving against a parent unless the parents are being unreasonable. However, we are flying off the handle. My response was meant to be the last resort, not the first. I mean there's no other answer after talking it out with your parents regarding a reward system.

But it's not unreasonable for a parent to tell a child they don't need more toys. Going against your parents in this kind of situation shouldn't even be the last resort. It shouldn't be considered at all. I don't know if you have kids, but lets pretend you do. You tell them they can't have ice cream, except on very special occasions like birthdays, but they really want it. I come along and tell your child to just go behind you back and flag down an ice cream truck. How would that make you feel? Some stranger just encouraged your kids to break your rules, which you put in place for a reason(maybe you pediatrician or dentist told them they needed to stop eating so much sugar and fat, because it turned out they were lactose intolerant or had cavities). Kids can't always understand that. All they know is they aren't getting something, and it seems like everyone else is. As the stranger, I go by what you kids say, which implies you are just being mean and stubborn, but that is not the truth at all.
---
willow Blue Sparx Gems: 500
#26 Posted: 21:15:45 06/03/2012
Why did your parents originally buy you the game if they were adamant not to let you buy any more figures? They should know that if they get their kid a game or some sort of collector starter pack, the kid is obviously going to want to collect the rest of whatever the collection may be of. I don't see how this fits, to be honest. I can see the parents may have not realised the collecting side to Skylanders before buying it, or may have thought their kid would be satisfied this just the starter pack, but still...
---
All standard Skylanders now owned, and Dark Spyro, except Camo, Sunburn and Wham-Shell!
kappapopm Ripto Gems: 1186
#27 Posted: 21:21:12 06/03/2012
oh... when you think about it, this is really not a big problem when this child he/she hit age 30-40 or something. they can shop all the skylanders they want on auctions sites... there are many adults here at darkspyro that say they are 'collectors' or 'buy for my child'(only excuses). but in reality play with the toys in their man cave late at night, because they didn't have the toys when they was a kid. so i am not that worried about the kid, and when your a parent you gotta say no that is one of your duty as an adult, you cant afford to buy the whole game shop. because they need to buy their own 30 years old toy that they didnt get, and they cost alot now days.... just saying
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 21:23:10 06/03/2012 by kappapopm
#28 Posted: 21:37:52 06/03/2012

But it's not unreasonable for a parent to tell a child they don't need more toys. Going against your parents in this kind of situation shouldn't even be the last resort. It shouldn't be considered at all. I don't know if you have kids, but lets pretend you do. You tell them they can't have ice cream, except on very special occasions like birthdays, but they really want it. I come along and tell your child to just go behind you back and flag down an ice cream truck. How would that make you feel? Some stranger just encouraged your kids to break your rules, which you put in place for a reason(maybe you pediatrician or dentist told them they needed to stop eating so much sugar and fat, because it turned out they were lactose intolerant or had cavities). Kids can't always understand that. All they know is they aren't getting something, and it seems like everyone else is. As the stranger, I go by what you kids say, which implies you are just being mean and stubborn, but that is not the truth at all.

You have no idea why they're saying no. The OP says his or her father called their wanting "stupid" which basically reads to me that they don't approve of the selling strategy more than saying he or she has "too much toys".

Don't do hypotheticals. You have no idea how I raise my child. I am not going to not give my child ice cream without explanation. I am also not going to tell them not to buy something they want with money they earned. If I gave them the money for a specific reason then of course they can't soend it n something else. However, if they earned it, they can buy it as long as it's not illegal.

Strangers encourage all the time. It's my job as a parent to teach my child to think about what is going on and to make intelligent decisions. Why? Because I actually like my child to be well-informed in just about everything. Yes, I may think what they're into is stupid but that is not the reason I will deny them the joy of getting it.

It's not my job as a stranger. They're not under my legal control. I am in the clear: I didn't tell them to do anything illegal or harmful (though I guess their parent could give them a beat down for it).
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 21:39:57 06/03/2012 by Hexin_Wishes
Deandria Green Sparx Gems: 304
#29 Posted: 22:07:14 06/03/2012
I don't want to get into this arguement of whether the OP has the right to spend his money how he wants or not but I have to say:

Blazier, if you go buy Skylanders without your parents' permission they will probably just confiscate them, or possibly even take them back to the shop. In the long run it might be better to try and reason with them or curry favour helping out at home.

You could even suggest that instead of an Easter egg this year you might like a single Skylander character instead. Assuming your family celebrates Easter I imagine the trade-off of unhealthy chocolate that is seasonally over-priced and will be gone in a couple of days against a toy they think is over-priced and you might get bored with in a few weeks would fall in your favour. It's always worth a try...

If your family doesn't celebrate Easter there may be another holiday that you might be able to use instead.
---
Own: smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie
Really Want: smilie smilie
Alcatalog Blue Sparx Gems: 753
#30 Posted: 22:09:53 06/03/2012
Obey your parents! They'll likely be around way longer and are way more important than your current interest in this game.
---
Got 38
#31 Posted: 23:12:27 06/03/2012 | Topic Creator
I am going to play skylanders with my dad on the weekend and play battle mode and pass a couple of elemental gates. My dad will probably say lets go in there and then explain it to him why I want more figures so I can do more stuff in the game. I will probably ask if I could just get one from each element
---
BLAZIER APPROVED
#32 Posted: 23:17:11 06/03/2012
I am going to play skylanders with my dad on the weekend and play battle mode and pass a couple of elemental gates. My dad will probably say lets go in there and then explain it to him why I want more figures so I can do more stuff in the game. I will probably ask if I could just get one from each element

That's an idea, just don't be too pushy.

My dad really doesn't mind though, he's big into gaming, like myself and my brother, so that's a plus...
#33 Posted: 00:28:33 07/03/2012

You have no idea why they're saying no. The OP says his or her father called their wanting "stupid" which basically reads to me that they don't approve of the selling strategy more than saying he or she has "too much toys".

Don't do hypotheticals. You have no idea how I raise my child. I am not going to not give my child ice cream without explanation. I am also not going to tell them not to buy something they want with money they earned. If I gave them the money for a specific reason then of course they can't soend it n something else. However, if they earned it, they can buy it as long as it's not illegal.

Strangers encourage all the time. It's my job as a parent to teach my child to think about what is going on and to make intelligent decisions. Why? Because I actually like my child to be well-informed in just about everything. Yes, I may think what they're into is stupid but that is not the reason I will deny them the joy of getting it.

It's not my job as a stranger. They're not under my legal control. I am in the clear: I didn't tell them to do anything illegal or harmful (though I guess their parent could give them a beat down for it).

That's right, I do have absolutely no idea why they said no and that's why I chose to remain open and suggest we don't know the full story. Really, all we know is roughly half of what happened, as told by a 9 year old. Encouraging a child to go against their parents is not illegal, but it is harmful to a family to have a misbehaving child. We are just going to have to agree to disagree on this topic.
---
#34 Posted: 01:29:22 07/03/2012
We're not agreeing to disagree anything. I don't condone disobeying parents but I also don't condone unruly parenting. lol

However, it seems as if OP has actually formed the best idea out of all mentioned. smilie Kudos to OP!
MermaidKelly Green Sparx Gems: 444
#35 Posted: 01:40:15 07/03/2012

That's great! If you end up with one of each element you will be able to access everything! Try to get the ones in the adventure packs to open up the four new levels, or if a friend has them then they can add them to your game!
---
smiliesmiliesmilie smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
#36 Posted: 01:43:49 07/03/2012
I don't condone a 9 year old disobeying a parent at all, except in very extreme situations, which is getting way off topic. We also have very different opinions on what is "unruly" parenting. I feel that just because a child has money, doesn't mean they are mature enough to make the right choices with it, even if you think you've raised them well. There is a reason why you're not considered a legal adult until your 18(I've heard it can be a few years younger, or even quite a few years older in some countries). That is why I believe we should agree to disagree.

Anyways, OP did indeed come up with a great plan, and hopefully it works out for him.
---
spyrathedragon Gold Sparx Gems: 2683
#37 Posted: 01:52:30 07/03/2012
My parents have no problem with it at all, since my dad is into techy stuff (he writes programs for computers and is constantly learning new computer "languages"), and my mother doesn't mind one bit.

But, she only gets them if she feels it's convieniant for both her and I.
---
Lovatic for life. <3
The Peace Keepers
smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
#38 Posted: 01:58:29 07/03/2012
You're not fully an adult at 18 either. You can't drink until you're 21.

Anyways, it's based on the relationship and trust you have in your child anyways. Some people aim to have an open relationship, others aim for a more totalitarian and others go for the completely lax. I'd rather have an open relationship but that may be me.

Not for nothing, but learning to make the right decisions is a lesson that must be learned. I've known people with strict parenting who have gone off the deep end.
#39 Posted: 03:07:50 07/03/2012

Anyways, it's based on the relationship and trust you have in your child anyways. Some people aim to have an open relationship, others aim for a more totalitarian and others go for the completely lax. I'd rather have an open relationship but that may be me.

Not for nothing, but learning to make the right decisions is a lesson that must be learned. I've known people with strict parenting who have gone off the deep end.

Legally, you are considered an adult at 18 in the United States. Using the drinking/gambling age as a measure of adulthood is a personal choice, not a legal one. Actually, I'd say the majority of countries actually use 18 as the legal drinking age. I know Canada uses 18 and 19(depends on where you are), and the UK uses 18. I also know that in some countries you can legally consumer alcohol before you are recognized as an adult. Nonetheless, it's the same story for the age at which you are considered an adult, but most countries use 18.

I agree, learning to make the right decisions by making mistakes is important, but different parents have different opinions on when certain lessens should be taught. Financial responsibility may be something OP's parents would rather teach him when he is a bit older. Some think "the sooner the better" others would rather wait until they feel the child is a bit more mature so they understand and learn from the mistake(if they make one), and others have various other styles they go by. Truth is, there are pros and cons to all styles of raising children. Different families teach and learn in different ways. Some need strict structure, some are really lax, and others fall somewhere in between. Just like you I've seen the children of strict families not turn out so well, but I've also seen plenty turn out great. Same story for those that are real lax.
---
#40 Posted: 03:51:30 07/03/2012

Legally, you are considered an adult at 18 in the United States. Using the drinking/gambling age as a measure of adulthood is a personal choice, not a legal one. Actually, I'd say the majority of countries actually use 18 as the legal drinking age. I know Canada uses 18 and 19(depends on where you are), and the UK uses 18. I also know that in some countries you can legally consumer alcohol before you are recognized as an adult. Nonetheless, it's the same story for the age at which you are considered an adult, but most countries use 18.

I agree, learning to make the right decisions by making mistakes is important, but different parents have different opinions on when certain lessens should be taught. Financial responsibility may be something OP's parents would rather teach him when he is a bit older. Some think "the sooner the better" others would rather wait until they feel the child is a bit more mature so they understand and learn from the mistake(if they make one), and others have various other styles they go by. Truth is, there are pros and cons to all styles of raising children. Different families teach and learn in different ways. Some need strict structure, some are really lax, and others fall somewhere in between. Just like you I've seen the children of strict families not turn out so well, but I've also seen plenty turn out great. Same story for those that are real lax.

U boyz r funny.
---
domer Green Sparx Gems: 379
#41 Posted: 14:25:06 07/03/2012
Sit down and ask them why they don't think you should buy Skylanders, even with your own money. Listen to what they have to say and don't automatically dismiss it.

Remember, they have lived a life for a long time where financial management is a necessity. They are far more aware of how quickly money goes and how easily and quickly you could need that 10 dollars that you have otherwise spent on Skylanders.

Start showing them you have some financial sense. Start saving money, establish an emergency fund, create a budget. It doesn't matter if you think you need the emergency fund or savings or not. It's the process of financial management that you need to learn. If you earn 5 dollars a week, or if you earn 500 dollars per week, or if you just get money every now and then as gifts or doing odd jobs. It doesn't matter. Create a budget, build an emergency fund, and start a savings plan.

Show you parents that you are responsible with money and will not blindly waste it on luxury items and they'll more than likely feel more comfortable allowing you to purchase items like skylanders when you have the money for them saved.

You may not need to do any of that now, but in a few short years you will and it will prove to be one of the most valuable skills you can have.

Domer
Ryanator20x6 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1848
#42 Posted: 00:39:39 08/03/2012
^ Words of wisdom man.
---
Hello from Seattle

ask.fm/RyanNeely889
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 15:15:21 31/08/2012 by Ryanator20x6
Tashiji Yellow Sparx Gems: 1453
#43 Posted: 01:30:03 08/03/2012
Nothing constructive can possibly come from a parent dismissing their child's interests as "stupid." There are always better and more fruitful ways to word things with your children than outright insulting them. Regardless of the ultimate reason why, or a parent's right to dictate a child's spending, the way the OP's dad worded his refusal was... *ahem* ... stupid.
#44 Posted: 02:25:49 08/03/2012
Quote: Tashiji
Nothing constructive can possibly come from a parent dismissing their child's interests as "stupid." There are always better and more fruitful ways to word things with your children than outright insulting them. Regardless of the ultimate reason why, or a parent's right to dictate a child's spending, the way the OP's dad worded his refusal was... *ahem* ... stupid.

You don't know how "stupid" was used though. More can be interpreted from the way you say something, and the context it is in, than the word itself, which is why so many miscommunications can happen via text. If I typed up one of the "insult matches" my friend has with his mother, you'd think they were seriously fighting, but in person they are lightheartedly throwing insults back and forth as a silly bonding ritual. Lots of people have words that they use, like "stupid", which when used by them in certain situations aren't insulting. It's just part of their vocabulary. My mother says essentially the same thing to me as OP's dad, but I'm never insulted, because I know what she is really saying is "I don't understand why you like these, and why you want MORE" One of the best things about good relationships is that you don't have to be formal. Yeah, OP's dad could have used different words, but I'd guess he doesn't realize how much OP likes Skylanders, so he chose to use normal informal vocabulary, instead of formal vocabulary to make the refusal less hostile. It's just guessing though. I don't know what kind of relationship OP has with his family.
---
sfreas2001 Green Sparx Gems: 433
#45 Posted: 02:53:30 08/03/2012
I think you should suggest that your parents read all of these posts on your query . Maybe they will reconsider their position on what you would like to spend your money on.
---
37+/37 smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
Flamethrower Green Sparx Gems: 469
#46 Posted: 03:36:44 08/03/2012
My son has his own money and he wanted to waste it on BOK-CHOY-BOYs today and I said NO! as he would play for them for a day or two and then they would end up in the toy bin never to be seen again , I asked "what will you do when new skylanders come out ?" he replied want them ! , I said guess you wont get them if you waste your $$$ on toys that you will forget about in a week ............................He got the point
---
Ones we own |smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie|smiliesmilie|smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie|smiliesmiliesmilie|smiliesmilie|smiliesmiliesmilie|smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie|smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie|
SamXala Gold Sparx Gems: 2398
#47 Posted: 03:43:49 08/03/2012
Maybe you should try to talk to your parents about this, I mean, explain what you Really want to do with your OWN money. Maybe your parents doesn't want to let you use your money in that stuff because it's just a "Simple" videogame, in that case you must talk to them and explain how the game works, the gameplay, graphics, the storyline, funny stuff (Remember, it's a Family game too) and ALSO you can tell them there will be a SEQUEL of the Game, so in other word they will think something like "Mmm... maybe is not a waste of money after all..." Well... who knows, I Wish you luck with this Problem smilie
---
O_0 Holy Cow!! I'm a Gold Sparx!
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me