Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Skylanders Toys and Merchandise > Skylanders as toys (question for parents)
Page 1 of 1
Skylanders as toys (question for parents) [CLOSED]
Vortimous Blue Sparx Gems: 561
#1 Posted: 05:01:56 01/03/2012 | Topic Creator
To all the parents out there with kids that have the characters, do you let them play with them as toys or just for the game. I have a 6 year old boy that loves action figures and I am worried about them breaking. Has anyone have this problem? Are certain ones more "fragile" than others... do you think that they can stand up to playing... My son doesnt historically play rough with any toys... he doesnt step on them or throw them etc... but he likes to line them up and have battles with action figures and I was wondering what parents of 4-8 year olds think about them as toys also... Right now I am just a little nervous about them being used for anything but playing the game... is there a reason to be worried? I guess I am asking, how durable are they.... I just dont want to place a figure on the portal and it not work or retain its info/levels, etc...

Input?

Thanks
---
Vortimous
"Winning isnt everything, but losing is NOTHING!!!"
TheFireInside Gold Sparx Gems: 2426
#2 Posted: 05:12:52 01/03/2012
I'm not a parent, but I used to play with my toys like this when I was younger. i'd say if any of them were to be more fragile than others, they'd be the skinnier ones (i.e. Hex and Ghost Roaster) rather than bigger ones like Bash or Drill Sergeant. I think they'd be okay as long as he's not rough with them.
---
smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie smiliesmiliesmiliesmilie smiliesmiliesmilie smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie smiliesmiliesmilie smiliesmiliesmiliesmilie smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
JAP28 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1097
#3 Posted: 05:14:20 01/03/2012
I think they are pretty safe to play with!!! Just no bath tub action!
---
All Current Skylanders just no pearl smilie
#4 Posted: 05:17:11 01/03/2012 | Topic Creator
Thanks for the info... any input from parents who LET there kids play with them.... or does NO one allow that... lol
---
Vortimous
chaosworrier Yellow Sparx Gems: 1555
#5 Posted: 05:34:24 01/03/2012
Even the bath thing is possibly subjective as a few people have stated that the chip is exceptionally sealed in so potentially handle immersion.

That said, no, I am not trying it!
---
Soylent Green is People!
Definitive Doom Spreadsheet...of Doom: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7oq1...ers%20List.xlsm
Ravenouschaos Green Sparx Gems: 201
#6 Posted: 06:49:07 01/03/2012
I have a six and four year old who play with their figures. So far none have been broken or damaged. For the record though, I would NOT let them play with my figs.
---
We stand ready to defend Skylands: smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
Tashiji Yellow Sparx Gems: 1453
#7 Posted: 07:23:45 01/03/2012
Our little guy has a special Eruptor just to chew on and throw around. The rest, he likes watching us play, but he has claimed Eruptor as his own, and we'll abide by that.
Fernandez2 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1119
#8 Posted: 12:49:40 01/03/2012
I got 6 year old twin boys and have split the collection between them. Each has their own tower and additional carrying case. They got free reign to play with their Skylanders. They are toys and meant to be played with as such.

No breaking so far. The Hex has had a few calls but just cause of her thin arms.

I say let them play with the. These are TOYS meant for KIDS.
GothamLord Yellow Sparx Gems: 1790
#9 Posted: 12:57:57 01/03/2012
Quote: chaosworrier
Even the bath thing is possibly subjective as a few people have stated that the chip is exceptionally sealed in so potentially handle immersion.

That said, no, I am not trying it!

I have a spare Hex that my dog got a hold of. Shes missing her arms and her head so shes basically just a torso. The figure however still works as the base was undamaged. I might donate it to science with the water testing inquiry and advise how it goes.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 12:58:21 01/03/2012 by GothamLord
Himewad Yellow Sparx Gems: 1819
#10 Posted: 13:47:10 01/03/2012
I've got a 7-year old who plays with his figures. We have had a wing come out of Dark Spyro's back, but we just super-glued it back on. The figure itself can be super-glued if a piece falls or breaks off. It's the base that holds the mechanics, and that seems pretty secure. So let them play with them.
---
BEST PILOT IN ALL OF SKYLANDS ... WAIT FOR IT ... BOOM!
chrisrobbo21982 Blue Sparx Gems: 707
#11 Posted: 20:49:21 01/03/2012
My 5year old tried bending the arms of Hex and Stealth Elf and managed to snap Stealh Elf's arm. Hex's arm had a split at the joint of her elbow too. The chunkier ones like Bash/Eruptor would be fine but I'd be careful with Flameslinger, Stealth Elf, Hex etc
---
Own: smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
skyp1e Green Sparx Gems: 306
#12 Posted: 21:09:49 01/03/2012
Interestingly enough this has never come up at my house.

My son is 5, my daughter 9 and they simply use the figures to play the game (also the web game) and then put them back in the case I gave them for the figures.

I've heard them playing "Skylanders" by pretending to be champions themselves and running around the house fighting Kaos, but they've never actually done anything with the figures.

Huh, makes you think.

I might ask them why they don't play with them, but I suspect the answer will be to keep them from being broken.
---
Mine Portalmaster #788111 smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie
Son's smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie
Daughter's smilie smilie smiliex2 smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie
Deandria Green Sparx Gems: 304
#13 Posted: 21:14:42 01/03/2012
Personally I think it depends on the situation... if the Skylanders belong to the child then yes of course you should let them play with it. If it gets broken it's likely it will only be cosmetically and if not it teaches the child a valuable lesson in treating their things properly. As long as they realise that breaking it means they either don't get a new one or they only get a new one if they save up/do chores/are well behaved.

If the Skylanders are yours or 'shared family' I'd say 'No way, heck no, what are you thinking?' I had to share things with my little brother and everything we shared always got broken... by him... arguements ensued.

Of course that's just me, you can do what you want at the end of the day. The figues are fairly durable although I have seen numerous posts to say kids and pets have broken them or that they arrived damaged (some guy said his Zap's leg arrived only partially attatched and later came off). And many people have said that careful application of super glue will fix them (though if it's a very young child, super glue is poisonous... but you said 6 so I'm guessing that's not an issue).

The paintwork on the other hand is very easily damaged and in fact when I bought my Stealth Elf I went through all of the ones in the store until I found one that didn't already have paint damage whilst still in its box... AND when I got home I realised she's missing a small amount of paint on her leg and foot even though she is still in her box...
---
Own: smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie
Really Want: smilie smilie
willow Blue Sparx Gems: 500
#14 Posted: 20:23:57 02/03/2012
Quote: Deandria
Personally I think it depends on the situation... if the Skylanders belong to the child then yes of course you should let them play with it. If it gets broken it's likely it will only be cosmetically and if not it teaches the child a valuable lesson in treating their things properly. As long as they realise that breaking it means they either don't get a new one or they only get a new one if they save up/do chores/are well behaved.

If the Skylanders are yours or 'shared family' I'd say 'No way, heck no, what are you thinking?' I had to share things with my little brother and everything we shared always got broken... by him... arguements ensued.

Of course that's just me, you can do what you want at the end of the day. The figues are fairly durable although I have seen numerous posts to say kids and pets have broken them or that they arrived damaged (some guy said his Zap's leg arrived only partially attatched and later came off). And many people have said that careful application of super glue will fix them (though if it's a very young child, super glue is poisonous... but you said 6 so I'm guessing that's not an issue).

The paintwork on the other hand is very easily damaged and in fact when I bought my Stealth Elf I went through all of the ones in the store until I found one that didn't already have paint damage whilst still in its box... AND when I got home I realised she's missing a small amount of paint on her leg and foot even though she is still in her box...

Yes, that was me. smilie

Anyway, back on topic, I'd say, let him play with them, however, lay down some strict rules about keeping them safe and not breaking them. Maybe if he breaks/ damages a figure he can't play Skylanders for a day or so, so that he tries harder to keep the Skylanders in tact. smilie
---
All standard Skylanders now owned, and Dark Spyro, except Camo, Sunburn and Wham-Shell!
#15 Posted: 05:56:11 03/03/2012 | Topic Creator
Thanks for all the advice... He is by no means rough with his toys and will smash them... he just likes to "battle" with action figures, etc.... (and LOL to the water/tub comment... this is a no brainer but thanks for the concern... smilie ). Now if I could just find that voodood and sonic boom in stores... I have yet to see either of them.... the hunt is on...
---
Vortimous
jperrot1 Blue Sparx Gems: 993
#16 Posted: 18:03:42 03/03/2012
Yes. My 7 year old plays with them, and 3 arms came off, but we glued them back on. No damage to the electronics, though.
willow Blue Sparx Gems: 500
#17 Posted: 18:36:22 03/03/2012
Quote: Vortimous
Thanks for all the advice... He is by no means rough with his toys and will smash them... he just likes to "battle" with action figures, etc.... (and LOL to the water/tub comment... this is a no brainer but thanks for the concern... smilie ). Now if I could just find that voodood and sonic boom in stores... I have yet to see either of them.... the hunt is on...

I saw Sonic Boom is Argos yesterday, although I didn't buy it because I already have two. I also saw a Voodood in GAME a while ago and foolishly didn't buy it. I haven't seen one since.
---
All standard Skylanders now owned, and Dark Spyro, except Camo, Sunburn and Wham-Shell!
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 18:37:10 03/03/2012 by willow
Monsinour Blue Sparx Gems: 972
#18 Posted: 00:57:22 04/03/2012
I let my kids play with the toys. They are toys and are meant to be played with. Yes, appendages do come off. But Activision is great on the warranty replacement so let them have fun with them. Once my kids broke choppy, they played more carefully with them.
---
My kids own :
useless pieces of plastic
Not only that, we passed up 3 of them that we didn't have today. Uselesd carp...
Angel Wing Green Sparx Gems: 361
#19 Posted: 01:10:32 04/03/2012
I am 14 and a girl and I play with te figures with my bro and my cousin and they are 10 and 7 and we have little adventures and I make little area's with Snthetic leaves and blankets with uneven objects under them and some old playmobile and houses and some other stuff. We made a stop motion video but Idk if my dad put it on Youtube. But It is fun. BTW I am usually Cynder or Zap. Soon Sunburn shall join in an adventure when my bro gets Zook and cousin gets Lightning Rod.
---
Raine's Collection [smilie][smiliesmilie][smiliesmilie][smiliesmilie][smiliesmilie][smilie][smilie][smiliesmilie]
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me