darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Skylanders: Giants > Couple tidbits - the release date and in-game footage
Page 1 of 1
Couple tidbits - the release date and in-game footage [CLOSED]
thetoyspy Red Sparx Gems: 44
#1 Posted: 15:59:53 28/02/2012 | Topic Creator
Ok, I have some stuff for you all that I think will help get everyone fired up (aka excited).

I was able to get some REALLY nice, extended gameplay footage (along with the same showroom pictures you have seen on other sites) of Skylander Giants :

http://www.thetoyspy.com/2012/...eplay-pictures/

(shoutout to alex for the great overview. i was able to edit it up just enough to keep it going for watching at home. you can also flip on the HD settings to drool over the 1080p goodness!)

Also, I did a little homework on that new image that they put up on twitter and I'm coming up with 10/21/12 for the release date.

Of course, I could be horrible at math (and I am), but I think that date "looks" right -- you can do a lot with the 21/12 reversal to make it look fun.

Here's my breakdown on that :

http://www.thetoyspy.com/2012/...e-october-2012/

And hi!

smilie
bionicle2809 Diamond Sparx Gems: 8438
#2 Posted: 16:19:59 28/02/2012
Hm... Going based on the release date of the first game, this could mean that Giants comes out on the Friday before that in the EU and the Thursday before that in Australia. So... I'm guessing a 18th of October release for Australia and a 19th of October release for the EU.
#3 Posted: 19:45:49 28/02/2012 | Topic Creator
Quote: bionicle2809
Hm... Going based on the release date of the first game, this could mean that Giants comes out on the Friday before that in the EU and the Thursday before that in Australia. So... I'm guessing a 18th of October release for Australia and a 19th of October release for the EU.

Yea, I think it's fair to say it's going to be "around" that day. I zeroed in on the 10/21 because of the fun-with-numbers factor and it's a Sunday - a day people (families) are headed to the stores for deals and the like. And, maybe, Skylanders: Giants? smilie
#4 Posted: 20:51:26 28/02/2012
I just watched the video in the article you linked and noticed how the guy kept referring it to as an Expansion Pack. Well... How could I not notice, he mentioned it every 5 seconds. But that's besides the point. Why refer to it as an expansion pack? The phrase 'Expansion Pack' implies that you install the software and it adds onto the first game. Considering that no console game does that, and that it's not going to be released on the PC, then why use that term? It's a new game, it might not be much different, but it's still a separate game. But what was worse was the line "It's an expansion pack, but we're treating it like a sequel." So... Then it is a sequel. Make your mind up Activision man!

Anyway, I also like how the guy mentioned that the game without a Portal will be the price of a regular game. So... £40/$60? Sounds good.
#5 Posted: 21:36:24 28/02/2012 | Topic Creator
I just watched the video in the article you linked and noticed how the guy kept referring it to as an Expansion Pack. Well... How could I not notice, he mentioned it every 5 seconds. But that's besides the point. Why refer to it as an expansion pack? The phrase 'Expansion Pack' implies that you install the software and it adds onto the first game. Considering that no console game does that, and that it's not going to be released on the PC, then why use that term? It's a new game, it might not be much different, but it's still a separate game. But what was worse was the line "It's an expansion pack, but we're treating it like a sequel." So... Then it is a sequel. Make your mind up Activision man!

Anyway, I also like how the guy mentioned that the game without a Portal will be the price of a regular game. So... £40/$60? Sounds good.

I think I take a little bit of the blame there as well. There are certain... points that they want to get across in a one-on-one and I probably could have edited one more cycle through. But, hey, you seemed to pick up on the expansion pack concept! So, maybe, it did work the way it was intended! smilie

Seriously though, I do see what you are saying. I guess we'll find out more as the days and months go on, but, I guess it's almost a dual purpose - an "expansion" for those that already have the necessary gear (portal) and a sequel at the same time? Perhaps that's the meaning behind it?

Now I'm wrapped up in it.

I think I'll stop while I'm ahead. Or, rather, behind.

But -- that was my big takeaway. I cut out the back and forth on the questions. I wanted to get a sense for when it was coming out (fall was all that was put forth at the time) and what the price would be along with the compatibility understanding.

If you can't tell from the gameplay video though, it DOES look like a really nice new chapter in the game. The gameplay was the same, but, enhanced with the large characters. You see most of what I am remembering, but, the interaction of the new "giants" really fit well. You can do things that you couldn't before and it lends itself to a bit more action that action/puzzle. At least in the snippets that I saw.
#6 Posted: 22:12:10 28/02/2012
Out of interest, did you actually get the opportunity to play the game whilst you were there?
#7 Posted: 00:55:22 29/02/2012 | Topic Creator
Out of interest, did you actually get the opportunity to play the game whilst you were there?

No, I didn't unfortunately.
Sunny Castanets Gold Sparx Gems: 2231
#8 Posted: 06:21:05 29/02/2012
I just watched the video in the article you linked and noticed how the guy kept referring it to as an Expansion Pack. Well... How could I not notice, he mentioned it every 5 seconds. But that's besides the point. Why refer to it as an expansion pack? The phrase 'Expansion Pack' implies that you install the software and it adds onto the first game.

I guess he could mean it in the sense that people referred to Super Mario Galaxy 2 as an "expansion pack" of the original Super Mario Galaxy. Not so much in the literal sense of an expansion pack; more to do with the fact that it's "more of the same".
---
Quote: Tashiji
Sunny, as always, you are so darn smart.
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me