Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Skylanders Toys and Merchandise > DinoHex's Custom Skylanders (first attempts at customizing figures ever)
Page 1 of 2 | Last
1 2
DinoHex's Custom Skylanders (first attempts at customizing figures ever) [CLOSED]
DinoHex Blue Sparx Gems: 735
#1 Posted: 01:05:22 10/02/2012 | Topic Creator
So now that I have loose triplicates of a few figures due to certain circumstances, spyroflame0487 suggested that I repaint one of them and make a custom. It wasn't long after he suggested that when I looked at the three Flameslingers, and got a great idea. The sculpt is basically BEGGING for it to be repainted like this, so I gave Flameslinger a haircut, and a new coat of paint and voila! Piccolo Flameslinger!

[User Posted Image]

[User Posted Image]

I know the paint job is pretty bad, but in my defense it was my first time doing something like this, and to be honest I didn't buy very good paints. smilie Hopefully later I can do a few touch ups, but for now I like it. It's one of the few times that a creative project of mine actually turned out quite well. Usually when I try and do fancy art stuff, it doesn't come out anything like I had hoped. This was a surprising success, and was a lot of fun. : )

If you've got any customs you've made, make sure to show them off here too!
---
smilie smilie and smilie: The three greatest Skylanders out of them all.
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 21:42:33 10/02/2012 by DinoHex
spyroflame0487 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3866
#2 Posted: 01:08:15 10/02/2012
hah! That's awesome. I bet if you got an extra Lightning Rod, you could make a convincing Goku.

My Silver and Bronze Chop Chop I posted over here, but I'm still looking for some metallic red to make him more Arkeyean.

Let me go grab a pic. I'll update this shortly.

EDIT: Here we go.

[User Posted Image]

I touched up his face some more, and colored in his mouth which gave him a more Darth Vader-y look, which was pretty cool. Not too bad with a Sharpie! Haha.
---
Why did Uncle Peter have an interdimentional portal in his attic?
Spyro's entire collection! [Updated June 28th 15]
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 01:17:37 10/02/2012 by spyroflame0487
Himewad Yellow Sparx Gems: 1819
#3 Posted: 01:17:37 10/02/2012
Keep working on it. You'll get better. Just take your time, use VERY tiny brushes and good paint that is meant to go on plastic.
---
BEST PILOT IN ALL OF SKYLANDS ... WAIT FOR IT ... BOOM!
Ibishou Red Sparx Gems: 78
#4 Posted: 01:46:56 10/02/2012
Spyroflame, if you want red, metal look just mix silver and red acrylic paints together. In case the red is too intense reduce it with black. Best way to practice mixing acrylic paints is on tiles.
---
smilie
BerryShaker Blue Sparx Gems: 540
#5 Posted: 02:20:30 10/02/2012
Nice Piccolo dinohex!

spyroflame, silver chop chop looks really nice!
Just look for testors red metallic paint. They'll have it anywhere they have car models probably. Toysrus has testors paint kits, but can't remember if they have the singles. Hobbyshops and anyplace they sell gundam kits will probably have the paints. Or can just order it online. It's like $5 shipped for a bottle.
---
smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
#6 Posted: 04:40:41 10/02/2012 | Topic Creator
I recoloured my triplicate of Drobot. (I intend to do modifications to the figures I have three of) I cheated though and used red and black sharpie, since I didn't have red or black paint.

[User Posted Image]
---
OpalOsprey Yellow Sparx Gems: 1127
#7 Posted: 07:00:10 10/02/2012
^ Nice, you did a great job on him. I have an extra Whirlwind and Drill Sergeant ( from the Double trouble triple pack) that I'm thinking of paint customizing. I might paint Drill black but leave the gold rims. Anyone have an idea of what I should do with Whirlwind?
---
Have a Wii U? My ID and Mii name is OpalOsprey. So why don't you add Mii smilie?

"You don't need a reason to help people" ~ Zidane -Final Fantays IX
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 07:00:36 10/02/2012 by OpalOsprey
#8 Posted: 07:15:15 10/02/2012 | Topic Creator
Quote: OpalOsprey
^ Nice, you did a great job on him. I have an extra Whirlwind and Drill Sergeant ( from the Double trouble triple pack) that I'm thinking of paint customizing. I might paint Drill black but leave the gold rims. Anyone have an idea of what I should do with Whirlwind?

You should paint a rainbow pattern on the white part of her wings. Or just make the entire wing rainbow patterned.

Oh, and I scraped the paint I added off of the Piccolo Flameslinger, and I'm redoing it. I also removed the bow and arrow and his quiver to make it seem more like piccolo, and so it's easier to paint. smilie This time I'm doing multiple layers of paint, and it's been working great so far. Clearly this paint isn't meant to be put on plastic, but it's working well enough. It'll do until I get the funds to get the right type of paint I need.

It's kind of shocking just how easy it is to snap pieces of these things off. Makes me nervous about handling the Hex figure too much, what with those scrawny arms that could probably snap if I sneezed on them.
---
Edited 4 times - Last edited at 07:21:21 10/02/2012 by DinoHex
#9 Posted: 19:47:44 10/02/2012 | Topic Creator
I painted my triplicate of Stump Smash.

[User Posted Image]

Only Eruptor left to go!
---
#10 Posted: 19:57:01 10/02/2012
I use Testers acrylic paints for my plastic models, they are a good brand and have a nice plethora of colors. Your local Hobby Town or any hobby shop or art supply should have them. After your done painting, you should paint a cote of sealant (clear paint also works) to help protect the paint from figure prints and ware and tare. Thanks for the paint idea for Whirlwind, I might paint her like that.
---
Have a Wii U? My ID and Mii name is OpalOsprey. So why don't you add Mii smilie?

#11 Posted: 20:02:13 10/02/2012 | Topic Creator
I use Testers acrylic paints for my plastic models, they are a good brand and have a nice plethora of colors. Your local Hobby Town or any hobby shop or art supply should have them. After your done painting, you should paint a cote of sealant (clear paint also works) to help protect the paint from figure prints and ware and tare. Thanks for the paint idea for Whirlwind, I might paint her like that.

Thanks for the advice. : ) I'm probably going to stick with this washable paint for a little while, because that isn't as permanent, so I can redo them if I don't like a certain colour scheme. Then once I find a good colour scheme, I can use the good paints.
---
#12 Posted: 20:06:28 10/02/2012
^ No problem =). That's actually a good idea, I might steal that idea from you so I can test the color schemes that I have in mind before I permanently mark my characters.
---

#13 Posted: 20:39:01 10/02/2012 | Topic Creator
How much does acrylic paint typically cost? Is it expensive?
---
GothamLord Yellow Sparx Gems: 1790
#14 Posted: 20:42:19 10/02/2012
Acrylic Paint isn't to bad. Can buy 2oz bottles at most model stores for around 2 bucks a piece on average.
Tashiji Yellow Sparx Gems: 1453
#15 Posted: 21:05:02 10/02/2012
I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with your third Wrecking Ball. These might be a virgin attempt, but they are fun. Keep up the good work!
#16 Posted: 21:24:58 10/02/2012 | Topic Creator
Quote: Tashiji
I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with your third Wrecking Ball. These might be a virgin attempt, but they are fun. Keep up the good work!

Ah. Well, about Wrecking Ball. I tried doing something with him, but it essentially destroyed it. A massive failed attempt. :S
---
#17 Posted: 21:25:49 10/02/2012
You realize you can't just say that without posting the result.
#18 Posted: 21:41:22 10/02/2012 | Topic Creator
You realize you can't just say that without posting the result.

True. smilie

I was trying to make him look like the blue virus from Dr. Mario. In all honesty, it's not as bad as I say, but it certainly didn't turn out like I hoped. (I was going to super glue that piece of the Blue Ranger's bow onto his forehead when I had the money to buy super glue)

[User Posted Image]

I did this with my double of Stealth Elf btw. (Again with sharpies)

[User Posted Image]
---
#19 Posted: 21:47:37 10/02/2012
^ I like him and Stealth Elf, it's hard to paint perfectly especially with the type if pain you're using. That Blue Virus Wrecking Ball is very creative and innovative.
---

#20 Posted: 23:58:57 10/02/2012 | Topic Creator
Who says you need to cover your Skylanders in paint or sharpie to customize them?

[User Posted Image]

The clothes are made from clothes from Polly Pocket dolls. I cut them up a bit so they could go around stealth elf without actually having to put the sleeves through her arms. I didn't even notice until a while after I made the nurse hat that her mask looks like a surgical mask. smilie Hopefully I'll be able to get parts to make a little stethoscope to go around her neck. Stapling the skirt wasn't easy, because I had to staple it while the skirt was around her. I ended up having to take a loose staple, poke it through the skirt and bend the ends of the staple myself.

And here's one that's not as creative, but works so perfectly.

[User Posted Image]

That gun is from a Halo Reach figure, but the way the gun snaps into place in Slam Bam's hand makes it seem like it was designed for him. Too bad only one of his hands are open. I could have put a Power Rangers Samurai sword in one of his other hands had they been open. smilie

I actually think this type of customizing looks WAY better than repainting them. It's also more creative this way. : )

EDIT: Here's another one.

[User Posted Image]

The ribbon was taken from a Sailor Moon figure. Not sure what purpose the loose part served on the figure, but it makes a great scarf for Whirlwind as it fits around her neck just as snug as the gun in Slam Bam's hand. I actually think Whirlwind looks way better this way. smilie
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 01:21:19 11/02/2012 by DinoHex
DantheDragonBoy Green Sparx Gems: 404
#21 Posted: 01:21:49 11/02/2012
smilie
I liked that last one (Slam Bam with the rifle)
It DOES fit perfectly!
---
smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
37/37
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 01:23:15 11/02/2012 by DantheDragonBoy
#22 Posted: 01:25:09 11/02/2012
Your Dr. Mario Wrecking Ball is actually awesome, I don't know why you're calling it a failure. I didn't even realize the resemblance between the two until you posted that.
#23 Posted: 03:04:22 11/02/2012 | Topic Creator
Got one more, and I'll probably stop for today.

[User Posted Image]

Disney buffs will already spot before I tell you that the hair was taken from a Princess Jasmine figure, and you have NO IDEA how difficult it was to separate the hair from the figure. I spent a long time getting that hair off, but it fits Stump Smash perfectly, and is just the sort of humiliating thing I wanted for Stump Smash. Stump Smash is one of my favourite Skylanders, but I've always imagined him as an old man. (You know, being a tree and all) In my mind, I like to imagine that the old man Skylander gets a lot of humiliating stuff happening to him, often as pranks by the young'ins, so I wanted something to fit that interpretation of Stump Smash. This is exactly the sort of thing I was looking for. smilie

Though really with the past batch I've posted, they aren't exactly customs. They're more just adding accessories to the figures.

Your Dr. Mario Wrecking Ball is actually awesome, I don't know why you're calling it a failure. I didn't even realize the resemblance between the two until you posted that.

Glad you like him. The more I look at it, the more I'm starting to like it too, though it's still not quite how I pictured it. :/
---
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 03:42:23 11/02/2012 by DinoHex
Himewad Yellow Sparx Gems: 1819
#24 Posted: 03:09:59 11/02/2012
This thread just got weird.
---
BEST PILOT IN ALL OF SKYLANDS ... WAIT FOR IT ... BOOM!
#25 Posted: 03:13:14 11/02/2012
I just got this deja vu of Stump Smash being a sumo wrestler. Oh god.
---
#26 Posted: 03:13:49 11/02/2012 | Topic Creator
Quote: Himewad
This thread just got weird.

As if it wasn't weird right from the start. smilie
---
Whirlwind5598 Green Sparx Gems: 332
#27 Posted: 03:50:04 11/02/2012
Quote: DinoHex
I recoloured my triplicate of Drobot. (I intend to do modifications to the figures I have three of) I cheated though and used red and black sharpie, since I didn't have red or black paint.

[User Posted Image]

I really like this one. Good Job! smilie Its like a Dark/Evil Drobot. I like it a lot. Did you use a brown sharpie for his neck and body?
---
smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie

Edited 1 time - Last edited at 03:51:10 11/02/2012 by Whirlwind5598
#28 Posted: 04:23:57 11/02/2012 | Topic Creator
Actually, I used red sharpie. Red sharpie on green = brown. : )
---
#29 Posted: 04:55:07 11/02/2012
Actually, I used red sharpie. Red sharpie on green = brown. : )

Oh. ok Its really good. I like it. smilie
---
smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie

#30 Posted: 05:35:54 11/02/2012 | Topic Creator
This is just another accessorizing modification rather than a full blown custom, but the scale of these items were so made in heaven that I had to show it off even if it doesn't count as a custom. In case you're wondering, it's being held by double sided tape.

[User Posted Image]

I'll now never be able to look at the position of Double Trouble's hand on the figure and not think about how much it's crying out for a Pokeball. Seriously, that's the EXACT same hand pose as in the show. smilie Well, minus a finger. :/ Fun fact, none of the Skylanders have five fingers on their hands, and Slam Bam is the only Skylander that has more than three toes on his feet.
---
Edited 4 times - Last edited at 05:46:45 11/02/2012 by DinoHex
#31 Posted: 05:46:38 11/02/2012
^ Haha, Nice one! He should be the next Psychic gym leader.
---

#32 Posted: 05:50:58 11/02/2012 | Topic Creator
Or he could be a Dark gym leader, since tiki-masked tribes in movies and games often use voodoo dolls, and voodoo is a form of black magic, and black magic is part of the dark arts. smilie
---
#33 Posted: 05:51:06 11/02/2012
This is just another accessorizing modification rather than a full blown custom, but the scale of these items were so made in heaven that I had to show it off even if it doesn't count as a custom. In case you're wondering, it's being held by double sided tape.

[User Posted Image]

I'll now never be able to look at the position of Double Trouble's hand on the figure and not think about how much it's crying out for a Pokeball. Seriously, that's the EXACT same hand pose as in the show. smilie Well, minus a finger. :/ Fun fact, none of the Skylanders have five fingers on their hands, and Slam Bam is the only Skylander that has more than three toes on his feet.

YOU JUST BLEW MY MIND!!! YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW MUCH I LIKE POKEMON!!!

^ Haha, Nice one! He should be the next Psychic gym leader.

Totally!
---

#34 Posted: 05:59:03 11/02/2012
To DinoHex:

^ or a mix of psychic and dark pokemon team. For some reason Double Trouble always reminded me of Mumbo Jumbo from Banjo Kazooie.

[User Posted Image]

Edit: Sorry, the last image size was taking up way too much room and was hard to view so I found a smaller one.
---

Edited 1 time - Last edited at 06:04:47 11/02/2012 by OpalOsprey
#35 Posted: 06:06:53 11/02/2012 | Topic Creator
Double Trouble is weird for me because in terms of toy design, he's one of the best of the set. Seriously, the toy of Double Trouble is incredible. On the other hand, his in game model doesn't look anywhere near as good, and he's not that fun to play as. (going by 3DS version. Haven't tried him on Wii yet) So yeah, DT is a mixed bag for me.

Also, I'm incredibly curious if Activision hid something behind his mask on the toy. It looks like you could pretty easily tear off the mask, so I wonder if there's a smiley face or something underneath it. smilie
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 06:08:57 11/02/2012 by DinoHex
#36 Posted: 06:44:38 11/02/2012 | Topic Creator
I guess this is probably a better use for the Jasmine hair than Stump Smash. smilie

[User Posted Image]
---
#37 Posted: 06:50:06 11/02/2012
^ I very carefully pulled on the end of his mask and peeked in and there's nothing under his mask. I did discover that his feathers are all one piece so his head piece is just this white plate that's flat underneath his mask with feathers as one whole piece. Then they attach his mask over the flat part of this white piece so all you see are the feathers coming out from his mask. It would've been funny though if they did hide something behind it.

Edit: (About DinoHex's above picture) Jasmine's hair on hex gives her more personality in my opinion.
---

Edited 1 time - Last edited at 06:52:39 11/02/2012 by OpalOsprey
Ellioy Green Sparx Gems: 469
#38 Posted: 10:32:02 11/02/2012
I might get another slam bam and make it look like a fire yeti with a lava body and black fur.

oh that will be awesome.
---
AROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 10:32:35 11/02/2012 by Ellioy
JAP28 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1097
#39 Posted: 12:49:35 11/02/2012
It would be nice to get an extra Slam bam....and paint him solid blue like he was originally going to be!
---
All Current Skylanders just no pearl smilie
#40 Posted: 22:03:19 11/02/2012 | Topic Creator
I got the super glue I needed at a dollar store, so I've been able to further accessorize the figures.

[User Posted Image]

I'm trying to make Slam Bam look like a character out of a generic spy film. The bow tie again was a polly pocket accessory. As for the monocle, you know those sheets of pills you get, and you have to poke the pill out of the clear plastic hole? You find those with pills like Gravol. That's what is monocle was made from. Now I just need some kind of villainous hat. Might be tough considering the size of Slam Bam's head.

Why is Hex there? Well there has to be a femme fatale for any spy film character. : P

Also, double axe Voodood.

[User Posted Image]
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 22:07:16 11/02/2012 by DinoHex
bisylizzie Emerald Sparx Gems: 3913
#41 Posted: 22:14:45 11/02/2012
^Billy Hatcher plushie?

On topic: These are some nice customizations *nods* I might have to dig around at home for some random little items and some blu-tack and see what I can do smilie
#42 Posted: 22:17:55 11/02/2012
Bond Villain Slam Bam? All of my money.
---
#43 Posted: 22:20:05 11/02/2012 | Topic Creator
Yup. Got that Billy Hatcher custom made for me by someone online. Wasn't cheap, but I can say with pretty high confidence that I have the highest quality Billy Hatcher plushie in existence.

And I say go for it. I'd only super glue them on if you're absolutely sure you'll like the figure better with the accessory though. Personally, I don't think I'd ever want a regular Slam Bam now that I have this one. smilie
---
kappapopm Ripto Gems: 1186
#44 Posted: 22:35:15 11/02/2012
[User Posted Image]
[User Posted Image]

omg!..... [User Posted Image][User Posted Image][User Posted Image]
zap18 Gold Sparx Gems: 2521
#45 Posted: 22:41:33 11/02/2012
you should take the bow off flameslinger
---
Salsa is best monkey
Amiibos or skylanders? Not sure this time around
DantheDragonBoy Green Sparx Gems: 404
#46 Posted: 22:46:14 11/02/2012
smilie
Love what you did with Slam Bam
Awesome
---
smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
37/37
Fireballz Green Sparx Gems: 298
#47 Posted: 22:59:08 11/02/2012
The Voodood one is epic!! smilie Awesome customization!
---
Skylanders I currently own- (smiliesmiliesmiliesmilie)(smiliesmiliesmilie)(smiliesmilie)(smiliesmiliesmilie)(smiliesmilie)(smilie)(smiliesmilie)(smilie)
#48 Posted: 23:56:26 11/02/2012 | Topic Creator
Since I don't have the Jasmine hair for stump smash anymore, I had to give him something else. I still wanted it to be a head of hair though, because Stump Smash's baldness has always somewhat annoyed me. So I went ahead and did this.

[User Posted Image]

The leaves were taken off of this weird Pokemon toy I once got. It's a Snivy figure, but it has this elaborate thhrone it sits in that launches discs. I snipped some leaves off of that, and instant hair!

By the way, if people are having trouble loading this page due to all of the pictures, just let me know. I've been posting PNG images, so I'm sure Jpgs would be easier to load. It's just that Jpeg isn't as nice quality.
---
Ibishou Red Sparx Gems: 78
#49 Posted: 11:49:45 12/02/2012
Hey DinoHex, I would reaatach those leaves as pants, that would be cool. Cheers.
---
smilie
#50 Posted: 19:36:56 12/02/2012 | Topic Creator
Updated Hex and Stealth Elf

[User Posted Image][User Posted Image]

Also, extra armoured Drill Sergeant! All additions are from cheap jewelry I bought at the thrift shop for a buck each. smilie And yes, I DID do this to the only Drill Sergeant I own. I actually really like customizing these guys and giving my own twist to them. Makes it feel like I have somewhat different characters than all of their clones running around. smilie
[User Posted Image]
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 19:57:04 12/02/2012 by DinoHex
Page 1 of 2 | Last
1 2

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me