Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
Page 1 of 1
The Collector Fever has been Destroyed [CLOSED]
DinoHex Blue Sparx Gems: 735
#1 Posted: 20:48:19 09/02/2012 | Topic Creator
I've been buying Skylanders since November, and I've always kept the empty packaging as a collector keepsake. I then saw Gamemaster's collection hanging on his wall and thought "that's a great idea!" I hung the empty packaging on the wall for a while, but eventually I wasn't satisfied with that. Even though I had all the Skylanders up to that point (aside from legendaries and Cynder) I wanted a sealed set of them to hang on the wall. This is where my collector fever started. It was to the point where all I could think about was buying Skylanders, and it was making me overly anxious. I have tourette's syndrome, and an unfortunate part of that comes in the form of obsessions. In my case, it's obsessions with buying things, and I had it bad when it came to Skylanders. The problem with these obsessions is that it often takes something pretty drastic to get rid of them.

Anyways, I had gotten pretty far in collecting a sealed set of Skylanders. Take a look!

[User Posted Image]
(Not pictured, the sealed Dino-Rang and Eruptor I got yesterday)

Unfortunatley my obsession with Skylanders has been a costly one, and I'm now left with very little money until the 22nd of February (I'm really bad with money)

A few days ago I finally got around to getting into the Wii version rather than just replaying the 3DS game over and over, and I have been really enjoying it. The problem then arose that I wanted to have multiple Skylanders for the different upgrade paths. It was at this point that I started to get really anxious, and started thinking (Can I really justify buying a third set of these?) It was right then and there that I knew what I had to do to destroy the obsession of having a sealed set, and still end up with multiple Skylanders to play with.

[User Posted Image]

And so I did.

[User Posted Image]

The sight of the carnage from opening all the sealed Skylanders is enough to make a collector weep sorrowful tears, but it had to be done to kill the obsession. I know I could have just played with the Skylanders still in the package, but that's inconvenient, and not as fun. It took several attempts to rip open that first package. Right when I was about to rip it, I'd stop and ponder for a few seconds. I eventually did it though, and it felt great, because I could feel all of the anxiety rushing out of me. It was extremely therapeutic, and I don't regret it one bit. Now I can play with the Skylanders, which is how it should be when it comes to toys. Also, the Skylanders look WAY cooler when lined up in a massive army.

[User Posted Image]

If you're wondering why I have three of a few of them, blame that on having sealed versions of a single of a Skylander, and having him sealed in a 3 pack as well. Eruptor's triplicate is a different story, because when I first bought an Eruptor to open, I got him in a single, then I got another one in a 3 pack when I got Chop-Chop and Bash. After that I bought a sealed single of Eruptor for the collection.

And that's my tale of how I killed the obsession of collecting sealed Skylanders. I should probably get rid of my triplicates just in case that fuels the need for a third set. smilie I'll probably still buy a second one of each Skylander, but at least now I won't feel the need to buy THREE sets, and at this point I'm not far away from having two of each anyways. (Whirlwind 3 pack/chop chop and bash is all I need outside of the starter pack exclusives, which I won't be buying again unless they are eventually sold separately)

Sorry if there's not much room for discussion on this thread, I just wanted to tell you about this. : )
---
smilie smilie and smilie: The three greatest Skylanders out of them all.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 20:49:43 09/02/2012 by DinoHex
budkin Yellow Sparx Gems: 1234
#2 Posted: 20:53:15 09/02/2012
Props for opening them! Figures are sooo much cooler when you can actually see them apart from the cardboard and plastic prisons around them.
VendettaACS Green Sparx Gems: 223
#3 Posted: 21:01:13 09/02/2012
I agree with budkin. Release them from their prisons.
---
smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
t7gga Yellow Sparx Gems: 1726
#4 Posted: 21:32:24 09/02/2012
much respect
kappapopm Ripto Gems: 1186
#5 Posted: 21:45:52 09/02/2012
for a sec i though you was gonna burn your whole collection or something.... thank god it wasnt that dramatic... anyway you did the right thing smilie
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 21:46:20 09/02/2012 by kappapopm
Reimu Yellow Sparx Gems: 1076
#6 Posted: 21:48:06 09/02/2012
Nice! Seriously! I'm proud of you.
spyroflame0487 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3866
#7 Posted: 22:34:41 09/02/2012
All those packages. I hope you recycle them. haha

But that's really cool though. What you could do now with some of your extras is to paint them. Make your own customs! Like..a blue Eruptor!
---
Why did Uncle Peter have an interdimentional portal in his attic?
Spyro's entire collection! [Updated June 28th 15]
#8 Posted: 22:36:58 09/02/2012 | Topic Creator
Quote: spyroflame0487
All those packages. I hope you recycle them. haha

But that's really cool though. What you could do now with some of your extras is to paint them. Make your own customs! Like..a blue Eruptor!

Hmm... that might be something I could do with the triplicates. Not with the doubles though. I've actually always had a certain idea for Flameslinger. What kind of paints would I have to use?
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 22:39:27 09/02/2012 by DinoHex
Rays Green Sparx Gems: 392
#9 Posted: 22:38:17 09/02/2012
Whoo. Nice job. You opened them.
---
Youtube account: KoopaBoo2
PortalMaster #517721
Skylanders owned: smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie
Ibishou Red Sparx Gems: 78
#10 Posted: 22:41:04 09/02/2012
From a collectors view it's just illogical. You bought them because you wanted to keep them in package but now you opened them so you have even triples. Fun question: Why do you need triples?
---
smilie
#11 Posted: 22:46:21 09/02/2012 | Topic Creator
Quote: Ibishou
From a collectors view it's just illogical. You bought them because you wanted to keep them in package but now you opened them so you have even triples. Fun question: Why do you need triples?

I completely agree with you that I don't NEED triples. That was why I opened them, so I wouldn't feel the need to buy two of each to use for the upgrade paths, and a third set to have sealed on the wall. By opening them, I'm killing two birds with one stone by eliminating the desire for a third set, and nearly completing a second set.

Any triples I have weren't intentional. I'm aware I could have held on to the Flameslinger 3 pack, but had I kept ANY of them sealed, even to hold on to and sell later, that wouldn't have completely ended the obsession right then and there. I probably would have started collecting sealed ones again had I left any of them unopened.
---
Edited 4 times - Last edited at 22:52:04 09/02/2012 by DinoHex
spyroflame0487 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3866
#12 Posted: 22:59:42 09/02/2012
Quote: DinoHex

Hmm... that might be something I could do with the triplicates. Not with the doubles though. I've actually always had a certain idea for Flameslinger. What kind of paints would I have to use?

Probably just regular acrylic paint. Heck, I colored the blue over my Chop Chop with a silver sharpie, and that worked just fine!
---
Why did Uncle Peter have an interdimentional portal in his attic?
Spyro's entire collection! [Updated June 28th 15]
joseph235 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1089
#13 Posted: 23:12:25 09/02/2012
WOW that must have been like therapy. Was your heart tearing as you were opening them. LOL.

Good job buddy.

Now lets see who has the guts to open up one of there silver or gold skylanders.

That might be a little harder. I know i couldent do it.anyone else
skyp1e Green Sparx Gems: 306
#14 Posted: 23:47:06 09/02/2012
Welcome to a new less costly side of collecting and enjoying a franchise.

After all this was how the Skylanders line was meant to be used. I don't think that Activision ever planned on their toys hanging on bedroom and office walls never to breath fresh air.

Promise that you won't regret your decision when thirty years down the road something you had MIMP sells for $1000 at auction. You're going to get $1000 worth of enjoyment from having them actually in your hands for thirty years if you still have them.
---
Mine Portalmaster #788111 smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie
Son's smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie
Daughter's smilie smilie smiliex2 smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie
joseph235 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1089
#15 Posted: 03:04:59 10/02/2012
Some skylanders have to be collectors only. If they werent they would have brought out the silver skylanders that don't do anything special or have any extra money on them like gold figs. Don't know if the pearl hex or metallic purple cynder will have extras on them but i'm guessing they are just collector editions.
But i guess for the most part they are meant to be played with.
I think there for both to be honest.
SkyDad Red Sparx Gems: 79
#16 Posted: 03:26:45 10/02/2012
Very cool story to read Dinohex. Props and kudos your way! These are toys - they are meant to be played with. smilie They look so much better out of the package, great collection!
---
Owned: *smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie*smiliesmiliesmiliesmilie*smiliesmiliesmiliesmilie*smiliesmiliesmilie*smiliesmiliesmilie*smiliesmilie*smiliesmilie*smiliesmilie*
Ellioy Green Sparx Gems: 469
#17 Posted: 06:14:55 10/02/2012
Thats why i avoided the fever since my friend has it and i only get the skylander that i WANT not NEED.

Snow just stuck farnham!
---
AROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
deathcrow Green Sparx Gems: 272
#18 Posted: 13:07:30 10/02/2012
That's awesome! Skylanders are meant to be played with. I can't wait until I get my hands on a Legendary pack. I'm gonna open that bad boy up as soon as I get out of the store!
SteveW Blue Sparx Gems: 964
#19 Posted: 17:50:43 10/02/2012
Multiple Skylanders for different upgrade paths? that is... unfortunately... a great idea! I'll have to think about that though because my wife would have a cow...
SkylandersBoy Yellow Sparx Gems: 1129
#20 Posted: 17:56:11 10/02/2012
You're a lucky, when you can get 2 of every Skylanders I can't even get 1 of 1 Skylander.
---
Swap Force is just plain awesome!
I'm not related to the SkylanderKids.
http://www.youtube.com/user/Skylanderster
Reimu Yellow Sparx Gems: 1076
#21 Posted: 18:06:55 10/02/2012
I guess he works for it you know?
JAP28 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1097
#22 Posted: 18:36:01 10/02/2012
Wow you destroyed your room! hahaha What is going on with your toes there? Did you use your feet to open them up??? haha joking!
I do not know if I can open all mine??? Good job man!
You really should keep the upc labels just encase they ever offer a mail in character one day!
---
All Current Skylanders just no pearl smilie
#23 Posted: 19:21:54 10/02/2012 | Topic Creator
Quote: SkylandersBoy
You're a lucky, when you can get 2 of every Skylanders I can't even get 1 of 1 Skylander.

Quote: Reimu
I guess he works for it you know?

Part of it is a boat load of luck, and the other part is a lot of effort. Making sure to call every day, and taking transit to wherever I have to go to get them. Plus I bought pretty much my entire first set in November, so it was a lot easier back then.

Quote: JAP28
Wow you destroyed your room! hahaha What is going on with your toes there? Did you use your feet to open them up??? haha joking!
I do not know if I can open all mine??? Good job man!
You really should keep the upc labels just encase they ever offer a mail in character one day!

Darn. Wish I had thought of that. Hopefully there won't be one. smilie Oh, and that's actually something I just do with my feet sometimes without even really noticing. I curl my toes and stand on them. smilie
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 19:22:54 10/02/2012 by DinoHex
Brutungo Blue Sparx Gems: 548
#24 Posted: 19:28:41 10/02/2012
A few more packages and you could have dove in and swam around, kinda like Scrooge Mcduck and his money vault, lol
#25 Posted: 19:36:13 10/02/2012 | Topic Creator
Quote: Brutungo
A few more packages and you could have dove in and swam around, kinda like Scrooge Mcduck and his money vault, lol

Except I'd be cut to shreds by today's titanium plastic that they put around everything. smilie Seriously, getting cut by that stuff REALLY hurts. As for Scrooge McDuck, I always wanted to see him dive into the money bin, and just break his skull open on the big pile of coins, seeing as how that's probably what would really happen. smilie
---
Ellioy Green Sparx Gems: 469
#26 Posted: 21:03:49 10/02/2012
Pretty soon some ones gonna get gold fever.
---
AROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
#27 Posted: 22:10:52 10/02/2012 | Topic Creator
Quote: Ellioy
Pretty soon some ones gonna get gold fever.

LOL! Nice reference. smilie
---
Whirlwind5598 Green Sparx Gems: 332
#28 Posted: 03:32:46 11/02/2012
I have to stop collecting and buying too. I am not obsessed with buying any skylander, but with buying Whirlwind. So far I have 3 smilie
---
smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie

zap18 Gold Sparx Gems: 2521
#29 Posted: 03:40:15 11/02/2012
Can I haz won plz?
---
Salsa is best monkey
Amiibos or skylanders? Not sure this time around
#30 Posted: 03:46:47 11/02/2012
Quote: zap18
Can I haz won plz?

I have one for collecting and two for each path. If I find another one at a store I'll PM you ok? I'm sorry. smilie
---
smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie

Landerfan2012 Gold Sparx Gems: 2048
#31 Posted: 05:09:19 11/02/2012
smilie
thats all im going to say
---
131/174
Trap team and Gearshift on reservation
#32 Posted: 20:11:31 11/02/2012
Quote: Whirlwind5598
Can I haz won plz?

I have one for collecting and two for each path. If I find another one at a store I'll PM you ok? I'm sorry. smilie

Its ok, I was just joking! i might be getting Whirlwind and cynder soon! I foun a deal where you pick 2 skylanders for 16$! I picked Cynder and Whirlwind!
---
Salsa is best monkey
#33 Posted: 00:13:49 12/02/2012
Quote: Whirlwind5598
Can I haz won plz?

Its ok, I was just joking! i might be getting Whirlwind and cynder soon! I foun a deal where you pick 2 skylanders for 16$! I picked Cynder and Whirlwind!

Where?
---

#34 Posted: 00:35:12 12/02/2012
ebay! Its gone now sadly. smilie
---
Salsa is best monkey
#35 Posted: 14:07:31 12/02/2012
Well, Cynder was sold out, smilie But im getting Whirlwind and Double Trouble!
---
Salsa is best monkey
willow Blue Sparx Gems: 500
#36 Posted: 18:33:53 12/02/2012
Woah, awesome! Good for you, mate. I can't see how you could keep it within you to NOT open all those boxes! Like, on the rare few occasions I get to have a new Skylander, I literally am itching to tear open the plastic the second I lay hands on it!
---
All standard Skylanders now owned, and Dark Spyro, except Camo, Sunburn and Wham-Shell!
#37 Posted: 19:41:58 12/02/2012
Quote: willow
Woah, awesome! Good for you, mate. I can't see how you could keep it within you to NOT open all those boxes! Like, on the rare few occasions I get to have a new Skylander, I literally am itching to tear open the plastic the second I lay hands on it!

Me too! I buy a new one and say I'm not going to open this one, but I end up opening it by the end of the day!!! LOL I keep the packaging though. I try not to open them to ugly.
---

#38 Posted: 19:53:55 12/02/2012 | Topic Creator
By the way, I've gotten a few PMs now asking if I'm willing to sell, trade, or just donate some of my second set to people on the forums. To put that to rest right now, I gave away my second set to my best friend who got the game for her birthday. She's been having as much trouble as everyone else finding figures, so for a late birthday gift I gave her my second set. She and I have been playing the game together, and it's been great fun. I'm glad my second set is in the hands of someone who really wanted them, and while I may be out a LOT of money now, it has further destroyed the obsession as I now no longer feel the need to have a second set. I'm now perfectly happy with just one set of figures, and the other set is in the hands of a fellow Skylander fan. Now next month I won't be spending so much money on Skylanders, and I'll have extra money to work with for the month. I've come to realize that these are just toys, and shouldn't be collected in such a serious manner. Heck, those customs I've been doing in my customs thread that have accessories superglued on to them? Those are on my only set of figures, and I actually like them a lot more that way. Be it a video game peripheral or not, toys are meant to be played with by people who really want them, and I guess that's the moral of this thread. smilie
---
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me