Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
Page 1 of 1
I don't want collector fever! [CLOSED]
skyp1e Green Sparx Gems: 306
#1 Posted: 18:00:54 08/02/2012 | Topic Creator
I've had plenty of bad cases of Pokemonism (to coin a phrase referencing "Gotta catch'm all".

Don't get me wrong, I eventually want one or two of every champion and adventure pack.

BUT

As someone that is typing this from an office surrounded by Star Wars toys/books/games etc.

AND

Has a basement full of even more plus other collections I had Pokemonism over as well.

I DO NOT WANT TO CATCH THE FEVER THIS TIME!

That is to say, I'm not going to chase down variants of any stripe out of the need to be a completionist. I will not keep anything in the package (this time).

Me and my family want only what is needed to enjoy the game fully.

I wonder how many other fans of the new Skylanders game feel as I do?

It's not like I would turn down one of the holy grails if it were given to me as a gift. Additionally, if I somehow came into possession of one I wouldn't try to flip it and make a quick buck on the bay.

But, there is a very good chance that I would open said figure and level it even though I know you can play it while in the packaging. I want my kids and to a lesser extent ME to be able to hold the figure and enjoy it for the sake of how fun they are.

I know, blasphemy! I still have plenty of 1977 Kenner Star Wars things MIMP so I know how horrible this sounds to some. Still, I've taken my vaccination and won't succumb.

Feels good to state that emphatically.
---
Mine Portalmaster #788111 smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie
Son's smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie
Daughter's smilie smilie smiliex2 smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie
spyroflame0487 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3866
#2 Posted: 20:17:15 08/02/2012
You are a braver man than I.

Haha I've collected a lot of things, and I just wish I had like this huge gallery to put them all in. I'd love to have those extra ones, but they're just a bit too far out of my reach.

One day.
---
Why did Uncle Peter have an interdimentional portal in his attic?
Spyro's entire collection! [Updated June 28th 15]
Buzzthebatgirl Yellow Sparx Gems: 1526
#3 Posted: 20:22:14 08/02/2012
I feel the same. I love to collect things, my house is full of Pokemon mostly. I have figures, plushes, charms, magazines, official clothing and all that. My husband loves Yoshi so we have collected Yoshi items mostly plushes, but we also have a remote control Yoshi kart and I have a Yoshi T-shirt.

We both enjoy playing Skylanders together and I really enjoy getting new figures, taking them out of the box, putting the card into the folder and he puts the name sticker on the character chart. We both play and have fun together.

My usual franchise obsession has kicked in for Skylanders, but the lack of figure availability has really kicked that in the head. I would live nothing more than to pop down to the nearest store and buy another figure to play with, but I can't. I can't even find release dates or indeed express my desire for certain figures as some online sites don't do preorders (I'm looking at you TRU UK!!). This has actually left me feeling very frustrated with the game as I can't buy figures.

I could rant about this some more but I wouldn't for now. I really should do the washing up before sitting down to work on a Trigger Happy plush, a (possibly belated) Valentine's gift for my husband smilie
---
GITD smilie won on Facebook.com/Toywinner
Too many Skylanders in collection
Himewad Yellow Sparx Gems: 1819
#4 Posted: 21:01:08 08/02/2012
Don't have the fever, and considering the number of figures that will be released with the Giants game, I won't ever be getting it.

Apparently, Activision didn't get the memo that the economy isn't doing so good. Maybe they've been reading too many of Obama's press releases.
---
BEST PILOT IN ALL OF SKYLANDS ... WAIT FOR IT ... BOOM!
DinoHex Blue Sparx Gems: 735
#5 Posted: 23:04:06 08/02/2012
I'm collecting a sealed set of Skylanders, but I'm not going super crazy looking for them like I was when looking for figures to play with. When I was looking for wave 3 Skylanders to play the game with, I was calling every store that I could get to by transit, sometimes multiple times a day. I would go to pretty far away malls to get ahold of them. For the sealed set, I don't call EVERY day, and when I do call, it's usually only once, and I only call the nearest EBGames, and the nearest Toys R Us. I'm making some effort, but not going all out. There are also some Skylanders that I'm pretty sure I'll never get a hold of unless I go online such as the legendary pack, or a single of Stealth Elf, but I'm not going to go to the extra expense of buying them online just to hang them on the wall.

Basically I guess I'm saying that I'm collecting, but not in a super hardcore manner. If I can find one I don't have sealed, I'll get it, but I'm not going to be stressing out over it. Not that I can do anything about it right now anyways, because I've exhausted my Skylanders money for this month. Too bad too, seeing as how the lady at Toys R Us said they're going to get a big shipment tomorrow. : (
---
smilie smilie and smilie: The three greatest Skylanders out of them all.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 23:05:33 08/02/2012 by DinoHex
exosquad Gold Sparx Gems: 2667
#6 Posted: 00:02:00 09/02/2012
well, the fever happens.. sometimes you dont control it, most of the time it controls you. i want definitely 1 of each figure., and some of the figures, i have to have 2 of because i want both of their paths. but when it comes to getting 3 or more... im out. but dont worry if you do get the fever, you'll never get your fix cause youll never find any of the toys (at this rate anyway). and you'll never see in real life, a gold or silver, unless you buy one for $$$ off ebay. and your buying them off ebay will be highly dependent on your disposable income.

so.. if i was you, which im not, but im saying if i was... get the game cause its fun, get one of each character you like (if you want one of all of them thats okay, theres only 32, but you shouldnt go crazy over it. (i went crazy over wave3 figures, calling stores every day, showing up before their UPS delivery guy so i could get first pick from their shipment and following ups trucks to the stores did that twice)

also dont get into collecting rares, JUST DONT DO IT.
---
I am going to have 1 of everything. someday...
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 00:03:50 09/02/2012 by exosquad
joseph235 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1089
#7 Posted: 00:36:05 09/02/2012
I've got skylander fever real bad. LOL.

At least it's nice to see more legendary skylanders in the stores. My toys r us got like 20 triple packs of legendary skylanders today.
I thought they were being discontinued.
SilentButDeadly Gold Sparx Gems: 2086
#8 Posted: 00:44:37 09/02/2012
I'm only going after the skylanders that look cool or fun. And since I'm only looking for three others (not out yet, so I have plenty of time to save up cash), I don't think I have too much of a fever.
---
DrillSarge Gold Sparx Gems: 2327
#9 Posted: 01:42:20 09/02/2012
Im more of a completionist. I have to have at least one of every figure. I dont buy variants tho bc when it comes down to it i just want the whole original set. Im buying doublea to keep in the package. When it comea down to it the originals are sometimes worth more than the variants when they get older. All of the toys I had when I was young the originals are worth the most money unless there was a variant in special packaging like the hex and cynder exclusives. I dont plan on kepping my unopened set to sell one day. I just want them so no matter what I have a set in perfect condition. I guess im half n half. Ill never get or understand the variant fever. Ive said many times id love to have them.but only if i foubd my own in stores instead of cheating and using ebay. Congrats on your collection though. These are fun to hunt down and buy. I guess since i have everyone out Im really just buying doubles out of boredom lol.
PinkWater Yellow Sparx Gems: 1059
#10 Posted: 01:55:24 09/02/2012
Quote: SilentButDeadly
I'm only going after the skylanders that look cool or fun. And since I'm only looking for three others (not out yet, so I have plenty of time to save up cash), I don't think I have too much of a fever.

Ditto. These things cost too much to get em all. I only want 4 more.
---
CILAN IS THE SEXIEST MAN ALIVE.

I DARE YOU TO PROVE ME WRONG! ...Actually don't. I'm quite biased.
Brutungo Blue Sparx Gems: 548
#11 Posted: 02:37:31 09/02/2012
I am in the same boat I have tons of figures, comics, and old lego sets packed away in my storage room, and still many sitting out. But I decided im only getting one of each fig, and one of each legendary and thats it. Now if I do stumble across a silver, gold or otherwise in a store i would grab it but im not going hunting for one and im not hunting for more then what I need to feel like the game is 100%.

As far as giants goes I like the giants so ill be grabbing it and ill grab the giants and the new skylanders but as far as the old ones in new poses that Ill have to wait and see.
#12 Posted: 02:53:28 09/02/2012 | Topic Creator
Quote: Brutungo
I am in the same boat I have tons of figures, comics, and old lego sets packed away in my storage room, and still many sitting out. But I decided im only getting one of each fig, and one of each legendary and thats it. Now if I do stumble across a silver, gold or otherwise in a store i would grab it but im not going hunting for one and im not hunting for more then what I need to feel like the game is 100%.

As far as giants goes I like the giants so ill be grabbing it and ill grab the giants and the new skylanders but as far as the old ones in new poses that Ill have to wait and see.

I'm right with you there. I feel nearly exactly the same way right down the line.
---
kappapopm Ripto Gems: 1186
#13 Posted: 11:55:23 09/02/2012
if you dont want collector fever, then dont buy skylanders.... its pokemon all over again

with skylanders spyros adventure we have this to collect...

32 regular skylanders
4 legendarys
1 exclusive dark spyro 3ds
3 silver
3 gold
1 pearl
1 purple metallic
1 blue

thats a 46 total to collect so far, from the first game...

the new skylanders giants there is now been said there is 44 new figurines so far....

8 giants skylanders with light
8 new skylanders
4 older skylanders with light
24 older skylanders reissued in new poses

it will not end here, there will be exclusive figurines for the new 3ds,vita etc.... and all sort of special version like we had with the gold,silver,pearl,purple metallic etc etc...
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 11:57:32 09/02/2012 by kappapopm
PinkWater Yellow Sparx Gems: 1059
#14 Posted: 12:34:50 09/02/2012
Quote: kappapopm
if you dont want collector fever, then dont buy skylanders.... its pokemon all over again

32 regular skylanders
4 legendarys
3 silver
3 gold
1 pearl
1 purple metallic
1 blue

the new skylanders giants there is now been said there is 44 new figurines so far....

8 new skylanders

it will not end here, there will be exclusive figurines for the new 3ds,vita etc.... and all sort of special version like we had with the gold,silver,pearl,purple metallic etc etc...

Wow, where'd you get that info?
---
CILAN IS THE SEXIEST MAN ALIVE.

I DARE YOU TO PROVE ME WRONG! ...Actually don't. I'm quite biased.
#15 Posted: 12:41:19 09/02/2012
by reading this forum.....
DrillSarge Gold Sparx Gems: 2327
#16 Posted: 14:07:13 09/02/2012
Im more of a completionist. I have to have at least one of every figure. I dont buy variants tho bc when it comes down to it i just want the whole original set. Im buying doublea to keep in the package. When it comea down to it the originals are sometimes worth more than the variants when they get older. All of the toys I had when I was young the originals are worth the most money unless there was a variant in special packaging like the hex and cynder exclusives. I dont plan on kepping my unopened set to sell one day. I just want them so no matter what I have a set in perfect condition. I guess im half n half. Ill never get or understand the variant fever. Ive said many times id love to have them.but only if i foubd my own in stores instead of cheating and using ebay. Congrats on your collection though. These are fun to hunt down and buy. I guess since i have everyone out Im really just buying doubles out of boredom lol.
#17 Posted: 14:12:54 09/02/2012 | Topic Creator
Quote: kappapopm

32 regular skylanders

Already resigned to buying these as soon as I bought the first three pack. Not really unexpected or a problem.

Quote:
4 legendarys

Not needed. Not gonna go seeking these out.
Quote:

Again, not needed. Not going to buy the ds version to get this or pay some opportunist on the bay for a repaint.
Quote:
3 silver
3 gold
1 pearl
1 purple metallic
1 blue

So much ditto from the two statements above. I don't even like the solid colored figures. I'd get legendaries way before these.

Quote:

Nah, I'm still at 32.

Quote:

Will cheerfully buy if they look like fun additions to the game. Will most especially purchase if Activision and Toys for Bob thought ahead and they work in the game we have now.

Quote:
8 new skylanders

My family are loving skylanders. We'll cheerfully get 8 new ones.

Quote:

If Prism Break, Hex, Eruptor and Drill Sargeant are the four then color me happy. We planned on getting seconds for these figures for dual pathing anyway. This would make them different from our originals plus how cool would it be for them to light up?

Quote:

I will probably pass. Unless Trigger Happy's pose is fixed. We don't like that one of his arms is so far back it looks painful.

Quote:

I will pass on anything not readily available at retail. That's the difference between having the fever and just being a regular happy consumer.

Thanks for the reply though. I did enjoy going through your list to make my statements. It was fun.

*shakes your hand*
---
willow Blue Sparx Gems: 500
#18 Posted: 16:24:38 09/02/2012
I agree. My brother and I have been hoping to get a Skylander of each element simply by chance in the nearby shops which may stock them, and we, despite our enjoyment in the game itself, do not feel compelled to buy every single Skylander made avaliable. We've got one to three of each element now, apart from Life (but our Stump Smash is due to be arriving soon), and we do not feel the need to get many more unless it is one we desperately want (for me, Cynder and Whirlwind, my brother, Ghost Roaster, Terrafin, Camo and Warnado). Our current collection [as shown by my signature] is as follows:

Magic:
Spyro
Wrecking Ball

Tech:
Trigger Happy
Boomer
Drobot

Water:
Gill Grunt
Zap

Earth:
Dino-Rang
Bash

Undead:
Hex

Air:
Sonic Boom (x2, after bidding on two Sonics and surprisingly winning both- marked with an "S" on one, Sonic, and a "B" on the other, Boom, in permament marker so that we can tell them apart)

Fire:
Eruptor

Life:
Stump Smash should be arriving soon, possibly today.
---
All standard Skylanders now owned, and Dark Spyro, except Camo, Sunburn and Wham-Shell!
#19 Posted: 16:54:20 09/02/2012
the main problem with not getting all the skylanders(32+legendary) is that you lose out on extra xp and the option to build your skylander stronger,faster and get more hit power... thats the point with the accolades bonuses and heroic challenges... but now as it is if you not get all, you will be sitting there with a weak low stat char, that will be killed of more easily ingame and battle mode.

if i had to start collecting today i would have got the 24 + the 4 legendary only(total 32).... then you will get the most out of skylanders spyros adventure...
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 16:55:20 09/02/2012 by kappapopm
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me