darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Skylanders: Giants > Only getting some of the sequel components
Page 1 of 1
Only getting some of the sequel components [CLOSED]
chaosworrier Yellow Sparx Gems: 1555
#1 Posted: 13:57:55 08/02/2012 | Topic Creator
A few people now have stated that they feel that there are simply too many new figs related to this sequel and not worth the investment.

Out of curiosity, who would possibly do the following:

Only purchase the game and some (maybe all) of the giant figs only.

The game comes with a new standard sized fig and a remodelled existing fig, but apart from these, no new standard sized figs will be purchased.

Disclaimer: In no manner or form am I trying to deride any decisions to purchase or not to purchase items. I actually agree with the premise that it is really getting a bit "too much". I am simply trying to gauge how this may pan out.
---
Soylent Green is People!
Definitive Doom Spreadsheet...of Doom: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7oq1...ers%20List.xlsm
bisylizzie Emerald Sparx Gems: 3913
#2 Posted: 14:02:48 08/02/2012
I'll continue with my "getting what ones I want, plus a starter pack" plan. So far, that's 2 figures and whatever is in the starter pack, until they announce more
#3 Posted: 14:06:22 08/02/2012 | Topic Creator
i can respect people who have had the same philosopy from day dot.

However, I really want to explore the opinions of people who bought in to the "whole set" philosophy of the original game but don't see themselves buying in to that for the sequel.
---
Soylent Green is People!
Definitive Doom Spreadsheet...of Doom: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7oq1...ers%20List.xlsm
SilentButDeadly Gold Sparx Gems: 2086
#4 Posted: 14:06:57 08/02/2012
Starter Pack (hopefully minus another portal, unless I need it). Then I'll wing it and just buy whatever skylander looks both cool and fun to play as.

So basically something like Lizzie's plan.
---
Monsinour Blue Sparx Gems: 972
#5 Posted: 17:31:24 08/02/2012
It all depends on price for me. If the figs are cheap, I'll buy em. If they arent, the kids will have to pick and choose and then save their $ for them.
---
My kids own :
useless pieces of plastic
Not only that, we passed up 3 of them that we didn't have today. Uselesd carp...
Himewad Yellow Sparx Gems: 1819
#6 Posted: 18:01:18 08/02/2012
It annoys me that if I want the new game, that I will have to buy a starter pack that includes a previously released figure in a new pose. Just sell the game and figures separately, please.

And my plan right now is to only buy the giants. I showed the trailer to my 7-year old last night and when it was over he was just sitting there with his mouth open for a few seconds. It was pretty funny. And I knew that I would be buying a bunch of these stupid things later this year. Again.
---
BEST PILOT IN ALL OF SKYLANDS ... WAIT FOR IT ... BOOM!
exosquad Gold Sparx Gems: 2667
#7 Posted: 19:20:05 08/02/2012
I'll buy the new characters figures, and the giants, as for rebuying 24 of the originals but now in a different pose... thats a hard sell to me. (maybe if the re posed figure is really really cool looking) i hope all 8 giants are out when the game comes out. ill buy those that same day smilie
---
I am going to have 1 of everything. someday...
Star Dragon Platinum Sparx Gems: 5323
#8 Posted: 19:25:57 08/02/2012
Just like with the first Skylanders game I'm only buying the characters that I like. I've got no interest in buying any of the re-designed figures unless their gameplay is different to the original figures.
---
What! Marco sent you here? I've got a restraining order against him! - Rapunzel, Spyro 3
ace Gold Sparx Gems: 2982
#9 Posted: 19:36:57 08/02/2012
As much as my wallet is going to hate me, I think I will be getting all of the redesigned figures.....I was thinking about getting two of each already, one for each path, but then i wouldnt be able to tell which one had which path smilie with the redesigned ones I will at least be able to tell them apart, and can slightly justify buying a character i already have
---
Praise Helix!!!
Fireball Emerald Sparx Gems: 3163
#10 Posted: 20:11:43 08/02/2012
I don't know... I assume the game will come with a giant Skylander and a normal Skylander. smilie
---
OblivionSkull21, up and coming indie developer
kappapopm Ripto Gems: 1186
#11 Posted: 20:55:01 08/02/2012
i am gonna get the starter pack with the the 3 new figurines and a new portal.... then i am gonna get the 7 giants(one included with the starter kit)... then we will see what the new 8 normal size skylanders have to bring to the game. if its only accolades bonuses and new heroic challenges, then i can live without them... if you need the 8 new ones to open part of the new skylanders game or they comes with dlc... it will be a rage quit for sure...

and yes there is to much figurines for the new game, 8 was more than enough... i am not interested in regular figurines with light or new poses...
#12 Posted: 21:22:32 08/02/2012 | Topic Creator
Quote: Himewad
It annoys me that if I want the new game, that I will have to buy a starter pack that includes a previously released figure in a new pose. Just sell the game and figures separately, please.

I had this conversation on an Aussie forum...

...If they did that, then some mouth breathing parent is going to whinge and whine that they bought little Johnnie this game and spent so much and their precious urchin still can't play the game.
---
Soylent Green is People!
#13 Posted: 21:34:26 08/02/2012
Quote: chaosworrier

...If they did that, then some mouth breathing parent is going to whinge and whine that they bought little Johnnie this game and spent so much and their precious urchin still can't play the game.

Yeah, but they could just put a giant and a couple of new figures in the starter pack instead of throwing in a "new pose" figure.

And not that I'm going to buy them, but why only have 24 previously released figures with a new pose? Why not all 32? At least if they did all 32, you could have SOME justification for buying 2 of each figure. One pose for the first upgrade path, a second pose for the second upgrade path.
---
SkyDad Red Sparx Gems: 79
#14 Posted: 21:41:00 08/02/2012
As much as my wallet and wife will hate me...I'm sure my son and I will try to purchase all of the new Skylanders. The 24 figures that they are redesigning from the first game? Probably not unless they are some of our favorites and they look really cool, but we will be getting the giants, light-ups and new regular sized figures first.
---
Owned: *smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie*smiliesmiliesmiliesmilie*smiliesmiliesmiliesmilie*smiliesmiliesmilie*smiliesmiliesmilie*smiliesmilie*smiliesmilie*smiliesmilie*
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 21:41:30 08/02/2012 by SkyDad
#15 Posted: 23:15:04 08/02/2012 | Topic Creator
Quote: chaosworrier

Yeah, but they could just put a giant and a couple of new figures in the starter pack instead of throwing in a "new pose" figure.

And not that I'm going to buy them, but why only have 24 previously released figures with a new pose? Why not all 32? At least if they did all 32, you could have SOME justification for buying 2 of each figure. One pose for the first upgrade path, a second pose for the second upgrade path.

But then they could not sucker you in to being more tempted to buy the lot - Marketing 101. It is the same rationale as offering the first magazine in a series cheap.

Why not 32? 3 silvers + 3 gold + 1 pearl + 1 metal purple = 8. 32 - 8 = 24. Pure conjecture but solid maths.
---
Soylent Green is People!
#16 Posted: 23:22:25 08/02/2012
But those other ones aren't in wide release.
---
Ibishou Red Sparx Gems: 78
#17 Posted: 23:27:07 08/02/2012
My philosophy is to buy things from the stores that surround me. If I can't get something I'll just wait till it magically appears.
---
smilie
DinoHex Blue Sparx Gems: 735
#18 Posted: 23:34:33 08/02/2012
I'm not quite sure at this point. Really, I'd have to wait and see what the rest of the figures look like. At the moment I'll probably buy all of the Giants, and I'm not sure about the others. I'll most certainly get that air elemental bird guy with the bazooka, mostly because it's the only Air Skylander that I like so far. The first game sort of blew it in the air Skylander department. (Pun very much intended) I'll probably buy all of the new regular sized Skylanders, but I'm not sure yet.

As for the re-released figures, that's a more difficult sell. After going through the frustration of finding them the first time around, I don't really feel the need to do it again. There would only be a handful of Skylanders I'd be willing to re-buy in a different pose, so I can pretty much guarantee I won't be going for all of those. However if they release new singles of Gill-Grunt, Trigger Happy, and Spyro, I'd go for those since you can't get those in singles at this point.
---
smilie smilie and smilie: The three greatest Skylanders out of them all.
#19 Posted: 00:15:30 09/02/2012 | Topic Creator
But those other ones aren't in wide release.

Introducing the gold 3 pack for $40 or the "trade show" pack of 2 figs for $50.

Pure conjecture and not terribly based on expected reality but it is still interesting that there are no figs with more than 1 variant, Legendaries nonwithstanding.

AFTER-THOUGHT: Translucent Bash still fits in with the no second variant premise but throws my 3+3+2 premise out the window! Grin!
---
Soylent Green is People!
willow Blue Sparx Gems: 500
#20 Posted: 16:15:29 09/02/2012
Likewise to what has happened for the original Skylanders for me, I will just buy whatever I can in the shops that are near me. Though to tell the truth, that isn't very much, and often the shelves are bare of all Skylanders, except for one lucky day when I purchased Boomer, Dino-Rang, Hex, Wrecking Ball and Zap, and another more recent day when I was able to get my hands on Bash and Drobot. My other Skylanders (Eruptor, and my two Sonic Booms, and soon to be arriving, Stump Smash) were all bought of eBay for the most ridiculous prices.
---
All standard Skylanders now owned, and Dark Spyro, except Camo, Sunburn and Wham-Shell!
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me