Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Skylanders Toys and Merchandise > Just got to thinking. What's to stop someone?
Page 1 of 1
Just got to thinking. What's to stop someone? [CLOSED]
GameMaster78 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3321
#1 Posted: 17:45:56 01/02/2012 | Topic Creator
I just had a thought. What would stop people from going to the store, buying up Chop Chops, Flameslingers and Drill Sergeants, painting them gold, and selling them on Ebay?

Could that even be possible?

I wonder how one would be able to tell a fake from a real gold Skylander?
---
Wii U: GameMaster1178, XBL: GameMaster1178, PSN: megax28
domer Green Sparx Gems: 379
#2 Posted: 17:48:28 01/02/2012
No idea. There maybe be some way to verify the gold character via Activision using the characters #.

But creating a Gold or Silver character would be easy. the hardest part would be opening the packing carefully enough to be able to put it back together again without obvious signs.

Domer
Monsinour Blue Sparx Gems: 972
#3 Posted: 17:53:16 01/02/2012
Quote: domer
No idea. There maybe be some way to verify the gold character via Activision using the characters #.

But creating a Gold or Silver character would be easy. the hardest part would be opening the packing carefully enough to be able to put it back together again without obvious signs.

Domer

A while back I confirmed with someone on the boards that the model # from a regular eruptor matched a silver eruptor so that option is not available.

Maybe there is paint under the silver and gold so if scratched off, it would show the other paint job.

For the golds, they have to have 2100 coins and be right at lvl5, no extra exp.
---
My kids own :
useless pieces of plastic
Not only that, we passed up 3 of them that we didn't have today. Uselesd carp...
bionicle2809 Diamond Sparx Gems: 8438
#4 Posted: 18:00:45 01/02/2012
Because logic says, you sell a gold figure in the packaging. Apart from that, the only thing that's stopping them is the quality of the paint. If the paint will come off and reveal a normal texture/is poorly applied then it'll obviously be a fake.
Ibishou Red Sparx Gems: 78
#5 Posted: 18:09:38 01/02/2012
Since I was painting lots of figures in my life for battle games like 1stEdition Confrontation, Warhammer, Lord of the Rings. I would say painting is the smallest problem. Acrylic paint comes from metal figures only if put into dissolvent, imagine what happens to plastic ones. Bigger problem is the packaging itself, like domer said. Thus, that is what stops people.
---
smilie
#6 Posted: 18:19:49 01/02/2012 | Topic Creator
But can't someone nicely open the package, paint the figure and reseal it?

I'm asking, because this single pack gold Flameslinger I got, is sealed in package, but the gold looks different than gold Drill Sergeant and Chop Chop.

Thing is, though, there are no bends on the packaging, or stress marks from bending. In other words, the packaging is perfect, but the gold just looks darker than Chop Chop and Drill Sergeant.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 18:20:43 01/02/2012 by GameMaster78
Reimu Yellow Sparx Gems: 1076
#7 Posted: 18:30:31 01/02/2012
Put it on the portal and look if he is level 5 with exactly 2700 (or 2100?) gold (for the gold one).
Himewad Yellow Sparx Gems: 1819
#8 Posted: 18:30:37 01/02/2012
Wow. That would suck hard.
---
BEST PILOT IN ALL OF SKYLANDS ... WAIT FOR IT ... BOOM!
Ibishou Red Sparx Gems: 78
#9 Posted: 18:31:50 01/02/2012
I wouldn't speculate that it's not original because of darker color. If you say there are no signs on the package it is legit, or done so well that it makes it legit. We know in fact that Skylanders tend to come up with various painting differences. Golden and silver versions are so rare that they are probably even painted by hand. Theres always a lot of room for improvisation so it can lie on the manufacturer. Secondly it could happen because the gun for painting figures wasn't properly washed up before implying gold on the figure. It's widely known that figure painters put a ground matt black paint so that other paint can stick better. Doesn't seem to me a matter of bigger concern.
---
smilie
Monsinour Blue Sparx Gems: 972
#10 Posted: 19:30:57 01/02/2012
Quote: Reimu
Put it on the portal and look if he is level 5 with exactly 2700 (or 2100?) gold (for the gold one).

2100 is the $
---
My kids own :
useless pieces of plastic
Not only that, we passed up 3 of them that we didn't have today. Uselesd carp...
Reimu Yellow Sparx Gems: 1076
#11 Posted: 19:31:51 01/02/2012
Thanks!
#12 Posted: 20:01:18 01/02/2012 | Topic Creator
Nevermind. I was off about it. I just got home and compared them next to my other golds, and they are the same. I will be posting updated pics to my collection topic, in about 5-10 minutes.
---
budkin Yellow Sparx Gems: 1234
#13 Posted: 20:21:20 01/02/2012
They wouldn't be worth much out of the package.
spyroflame0487 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3866
#14 Posted: 20:39:38 01/02/2012
It's incredibly easy to do, granted they put everything back together convincingly. But of course, if you have say..a Gold Cynder, people will call you out.

But yeah, if you go and collect an exact amount of coins and get them to level 5 exactly, there's not much you could do.

For myself I was planning on looking for a fun figure to spraypaint a solid metalic color. Maybe Prism Break or Drobot. They'd look good in red. haha
---
Why did Uncle Peter have an interdimentional portal in his attic?
Spyro's entire collection! [Updated June 28th 15]
ialexonline Green Sparx Gems: 452
#15 Posted: 20:56:48 01/02/2012
This just dawned on you? I mentioned like in 4 other threads that people could easily make fake figures.

With the most recent figures I bought I actually opened them slowly to see if it was possible to open the figures without ruining the packaging. With bare hands, no, if you use an x-acto knife and go around the plastic glued edges, yes, very easy to open perfectly.
---
Skylanders I own: smiliesmiliesmilie smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
Himewad Yellow Sparx Gems: 1819
#16 Posted: 21:54:33 01/02/2012
And the thing is, if you say it's a gold Skylander - even if it is out of the box - you aren't lying in the description even if you DID paint it yourself.

Is it a gold Skylander? Yes, it is.

Is it new? Yes, it is.
---
BEST PILOT IN ALL OF SKYLANDS ... WAIT FOR IT ... BOOM!
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me