Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Skylanders Toys and Merchandise > Do the paint defects on your figures bother you?
Page 1 of 1
Do the paint defects on your figures bother you? [CLOSED]
P1anet Fun Green Sparx Gems: 306
#1 Posted: 18:11:30 23/01/2012 | Topic Creator
I noticed that most of my figures have paint defects. Ignitor has a silver on the orange part of his sword, Stealth Elf has green on her weapons. I'm just wondering if things like this bother you? They don't bother me so much, but I'd still like to have a perfect one, even though they probably don't exist. What's your opinion?
EgoNaut Yellow Sparx Gems: 1730
#2 Posted: 18:31:22 23/01/2012
As a person who cares quite deeply about the visual appearence of the figures I purchase, yes I do get bothered by some of the paint defects I see on them.

A few of them i'm fine with: My trigger happy has some of the gold from his guns on his fingers but it isn't noticeable. My Gill Grunt has some pretty bad flecks of brownish grey on his backpack and a patch of unpainted torso behind where his gun his held where you can see the grey plastic he was originally made of. For some reason i've got used to these though.
My Prism break has some flecks of dark green on his eyes, but for some reason they seem to almost look like a natural part of the figure, so I don't mind that they're there so long as I don't look too closely.
My Ignitor has some areas on his armour where the silver and metallic blue have overlapped a little.
My Sonic Boom has some horrible smudges of yellow around his beak where it attaches to the rest of his face. His silver bits have also smudged on to his body beneath.
My Eruptor has this one really tiny but ever-so-irritating dot of yellow on his left eyebrow!
The worst one that I've got by far is my Dino-Rang, but then again I don't think I've ever seen a single Dino-Rang that hasn't been painted horribly, with flecks of gold where they shouldn't be. My Dino-Rang goes a bit further by also having smudges of orange around his eyes and areas on his green scales where you can see the black base coat beneath.
---
S1: smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
S2: smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
S3: smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
#3 Posted: 18:34:10 23/01/2012 | Topic Creator
Well, at least I'm not the only one who has noticed things like this.
Hazard335 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1435
#4 Posted: 18:40:01 23/01/2012
call me weird, but i actually wouldn't buy one with paint defects.
i would wait and keep looking till i found a better one.
it bothers me that much.
Sunny Castanets Gold Sparx Gems: 2231
#5 Posted: 18:44:29 23/01/2012
I noticed a fair few of mine have issues with painting.

My worst one by far was my Wrecking Ball, which came with some yellow paint drizzling out of his nostril! Thankfully, I was able to scrape that off with my nail, but it kinda grossed me out.

The worst one I have now that I can't do anything about is my Drobot who has a glob of metallic blue paint up by his eye. I just turn it so I don't look at that side.
---
Quote: Tashiji
Sunny, as always, you are so darn smart.
#6 Posted: 18:52:42 23/01/2012 | Topic Creator
Even if you look hard enough at a store and don't notice anything wrong with a Skylander, you still may discover a paint problem after you open it.
Hyena Yellow Sparx Gems: 1413
#7 Posted: 18:53:24 23/01/2012
They don't bother me.
But I bet if I showed my uncle them; he'd re-paint them himself.

He loves to paint figurines. And is very good at doing so. :3
Himewad Yellow Sparx Gems: 1819
#8 Posted: 18:54:04 23/01/2012
Nope. Doesn't bother me a bit.
---
BEST PILOT IN ALL OF SKYLANDS ... WAIT FOR IT ... BOOM!
Madel Blue Sparx Gems: 584
#9 Posted: 18:55:17 23/01/2012
The interesting paint job on some of my Champions drives me nuts, too.

I love Sonic Boom, but it seems like couldn't paint her eyes right. They're surrounded by excess yellow.

The lack of color on the claws of the Champions really bothers me, too. This is an $8+ figure we're paying for. I kinda hoped for a better quality.

Sometimes I just think I should paint them to perfection myself.
---
That's why all the Gryffindors sing: Weasley is our king.
GothamLord Yellow Sparx Gems: 1790
#10 Posted: 19:03:54 23/01/2012
And the next variant of Skylanders has been born. Primer white - Paint them yourselves.
#11 Posted: 19:09:13 23/01/2012
Quote: GothamLord
And the next variant of Skylanders has been born. Primer white - Paint them yourselves.

Lol My bad. When I said "paint them myself," I meant do the touch-ups. You know, so I don't have Sonic Boom's eyes leaking on to her face. xD
---
GothamLord Yellow Sparx Gems: 1790
#12 Posted: 19:19:05 23/01/2012
I know what you were going for. However I still repeat opinion that the blank white Skylanders would sell insanely well. Like the blank Mighty Muggs toys people customize.
#13 Posted: 19:21:48 23/01/2012
Quote: GothamLord
I know what you were going for. However I still repeat opinion that the blank white Skylanders would sell insanely well. Like the blank Mighty Muggs toys people customize.

That is incredibly true. Plus, it'd be easier to cover the Champions white for resale because there's hardly any texture on them in the first place.
---
Reimu Yellow Sparx Gems: 1076
#14 Posted: 19:26:18 23/01/2012
Quote: Madel
The interesting paint job on some of my Champions drives me nuts, too.

I love Sonic Boom, but it seems like couldn't paint her eyes right. They're surrounded by excess yellow.

The lack of color on the claws of the Champions really bothers me, too. This is an $8+ figure we're paying for. I kinda hoped for a better quality.

Sometimes I just think I should paint them to perfection myself.

8$ is nothing for a figure you know
#15 Posted: 19:34:50 23/01/2012
Quote: Reimu
8$ is nothing for a figure you know

I understand that, but that doesn't mean I shouldn't expect a better level of quality as a consumer.
---
Reimu Yellow Sparx Gems: 1076
#16 Posted: 19:38:11 23/01/2012
Expecting a 20$ on a 100$ figure paint job on a 8$ figure is a bit much. For 8$, it's not that bad, I've seen worse on 40-50$ figures.
Monsinour Blue Sparx Gems: 972
#17 Posted: 19:42:36 23/01/2012
Wouldn't and doesn't bother me or my kids at all.
---
My kids own :
useless pieces of plastic
Not only that, we passed up 3 of them that we didn't have today. Uselesd carp...
#18 Posted: 19:44:54 23/01/2012
I can understand where you're coming from, but those (my previous posts) are my opinion on the matter.
---
LyraDragon Yellow Sparx Gems: 1283
#19 Posted: 20:13:57 23/01/2012
my spyro have a white scar on his brow. never bothered me tho.
---
Team Drago
smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
wanted:smilie
spyroflame0487 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3866
#20 Posted: 20:29:15 23/01/2012
My trigger happy has what looks like white paint on his feet which I'm assuming is from the painting of the Gears. There's a few other little blotches here and there on some of the other figures, but it's really not that big of a deal for me. The only way I would care is if there's a big splotch on there, and then I'd at least have a unique one.

Makes em feel like they're more individual, rather than just something that was cranked out of a machine.
---
Why did Uncle Peter have an interdimentional portal in his attic?
Spyro's entire collection! [Updated June 28th 15]
SOLD OUT Red Sparx Gems: 95
#21 Posted: 20:45:22 23/01/2012
i like them... more unique
Whirlwind5598 Green Sparx Gems: 332
#22 Posted: 23:38:13 23/01/2012
Quote: P1anet Fun
I noticed that most of my figures have paint defects. Ignitor has a silver on the orange part of his sword, Stealth Elf has green on her weapons. I'm just wondering if things like this bother you? They don't bother me so much, but I'd still like to have a perfect one, even though they probably don't exist. What's your opinion?

YES!!! When I find the last of a figure I want its all ugly but I take it because I'm not going to leave it just for that. but it really DOES bother me.
---
smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie

BerryShaker Blue Sparx Gems: 540
#23 Posted: 23:49:23 23/01/2012
I care when I have the luxury of being able to compare a few figures and pick the one I like best (least defects)... other wise I just grab it and run to the cash register as fast as I can, all while cackling gleefully...
---
smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
Whirlwind5598 Green Sparx Gems: 332
#24 Posted: 23:50:53 23/01/2012
Quote: BerryShaker
I care when I have the luxury of being able to compare a few figures and pick the one I like best (least defects)... other wise I just grab it and run to the cash register as fast as I can, all while cackling gleefully...

OMG!!! I do that too!
---
smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie

spyrathedragon Gold Sparx Gems: 2683
#25 Posted: 23:56:17 23/01/2012
I can't see anything on mine unless I look up close. I'm good.

/i might fix Spyro and Cynder's eyes though
what?Cynder's are suppose to be green, and Spyro's are purple.
---
Lovatic for life. <3
The Peace Keepers
smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
OpalOsprey Yellow Sparx Gems: 1127
#26 Posted: 00:05:02 24/01/2012
I actually can't find any defects on my figures, except for my Ghost Roaster has some shiny glue on where his arms attach to his body and my Vodood has a green spot on his shoulder but it doesn't bother me at all. The only time a defect bothers me on figures if it's not a paint defect. I have an Alien figure from the movie "Alien" that looks great but the articulation joints are too lose and put together wrong so it can barely stand on its own. So visual errors don't matter but when it affects the quality of the toy, then that's when I get annoyed.
---
Have a Wii U? My ID and Mii name is OpalOsprey. So why don't you add Mii smilie?

"You don't need a reason to help people" ~ Zidane -Final Fantays IX
zap18 Gold Sparx Gems: 2521
#27 Posted: 00:15:00 24/01/2012
My wrecking ball had a small black spot above his nose but I got it off smilie
---
Salsa is best monkey
Amiibos or skylanders? Not sure this time around
DinoHex Blue Sparx Gems: 735
#28 Posted: 02:42:37 24/01/2012
It bothers me in that most of the Skylanders I've bought for my second set all look far worse than the versions I already had. I have doubles of Hex, Stump Smash, Wrecking Ball, and Boomer, and the ones that are sealed all look worse for various reasons. Hex is pretty much the same, but has several paint and chipped parts on her face which are really distracting. Wrecking Ball is overall probably more accurate to what he's supposed to look like since on my sealed one there isn't as much blue paint on the top of the eyeballs, which makes him look a bit more wide-eyed and cute, but I think he looks worse because of it. The sealed Boomer I have is the only exception in that it looks pretty much the same as the first one I got, but the worst by far is the Stump Smash I got today. Take a look at them together.

[User Posted Image]

The sealed one's eyes look pretty derpy compared to the more angry one that's out of the package. Also what I hate most of all about the sealed one is that there's very little green on him. The opened one looks a lot more "realistic" due to the extra green. It makes it look more like real bark that's been lying around in the woods for a long time.

I'm not sure how these things get painted, but if it's a mold, I have to wonder if they get less accurate the more the molds are used. I bought pretty much ALL of my Skylanders before Christmas back when they were still pretty new, and not pumping them out due to the increased demand. Maybe the molds get worn out and start making mistakes? Or maybe I just got unlucky. Or maybe it's karma for buying a second set of figures I'm not actually going to use. :/

Or I'm just nitpicking. smilie
---
smilie smilie and smilie: The three greatest Skylanders out of them all.
OpalOsprey Yellow Sparx Gems: 1127
#29 Posted: 02:47:06 24/01/2012
^The're probably rushing through the figures more and not spending as much time painting them as they used to due to the high demand. Just a guess though.
---
Have a Wii U? My ID and Mii name is OpalOsprey. So why don't you add Mii smilie?

"You don't need a reason to help people" ~ Zidane -Final Fantays IX
arceustheprime Ripto Gems: 5362
#30 Posted: 02:57:29 24/01/2012
I'm just happy if I get to play as the character smilie.
dragonmk Blue Sparx Gems: 761
#31 Posted: 03:33:25 24/01/2012
no not alot are big defects unless my brothers have caused them erupter go boom laughing tnt (legos and stuff not really) but the only one that bothers me is my chop chop his eyes and helmet is smeared but anyway its all cool smilie
---
I havent updated since I don't particularly care but I have gotten all the skylanders except varients only ones are glow Warnado and WERDS
NCStarscream Green Sparx Gems: 494
#32 Posted: 05:56:44 24/01/2012
I'm pretty picky about it...comes from collecting toys my whole life. But unless it's absolutely horrid, subpar deco won't stop me from buying a figure if there's only one or I don't think I'll get a chance to get one again.
---
smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
Dsi568 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3173
#33 Posted: 00:28:19 25/01/2012
One of my cynder's horns sticks out about 3cm farther than the other horn, although it kinda blends in after a while. Other than that all my others are ok, but yeah paint problems do bother me a bit
---
Instagram: Skymiibomon_U
Twitter: @skymiibomon_U
NNID: dsi568
chaosworrier Yellow Sparx Gems: 1555
#34 Posted: 01:01:23 25/01/2012
Quote: Dsi568
One of my cynder's horns sticks out about 3cm farther than the other horn, although it kinda blends in after a while. Other than that all my others are ok, but yeah paint problems do bother me a bit

Are you sure you don't mean 3mm? 3cm is over an inch.
---
Soylent Green is People!
Definitive Doom Spreadsheet...of Doom: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7oq1...ers%20List.xlsm
DocCroc Yellow Sparx Gems: 1668
#35 Posted: 04:32:50 25/01/2012
While the minor paint flubs don't bother me I will try to get the best figure out of a bunch if the opportunity presents itself. One of the Gamestops I went to had two Double Troubles, one had pink teeth that looked like he was eating jolly ranchers and another had a dirty orb. Went with the dirty orb one which easily rubbed off with a finger.

My Spyro has a red line that forks from his tongue to a little outside his mouth, I actually like it because it gives him a snake tongue smilie
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me