Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
Page 1 of 1
The scalpers are out in force. [CLOSED]
Archae Emerald Sparx Gems: 4182
#1 Posted: 02:23:11 20/01/2012 | Topic Creator
This morning my local Shopko and the nearby Gamestop at the Mall got in their shipment.

In less than a half hour both stores were cleaned out, by the same group of middle-aged guys.

I didn't get Cynder. smilie
---
Gunter glieben glauten globen...
GhostRoaster Yellow Sparx Gems: 1803
#2 Posted: 02:25:00 20/01/2012
Yep...people seeing this selling for $70+ on eBay will motivate people to do this. I'm laughing because I'm patient. I have my priorities straight lol.
---
RIP GhostRoaster. He's reanimated as TakeYourLemons but occasionally is resurrected from the beyond when needed.
Ridinggrl27 Blue Sparx Gems: 792
#3 Posted: 02:27:30 20/01/2012
Seriously? I live in a really small town and my local gamestop got there wave three shipment in just the 2 short days I was gone-poof-there weren't any left
---
Hanayo is the Rice Queen
#4 Posted: 02:28:38 20/01/2012 | Topic Creator
I live in a smaller town also, 50,000 people.

This whole thing reminds me of the toy crazes from past years.

Remember when people paid thousands for a "Tickle Me Elmo?"
When there were riots of Cabbage Patch Kids?
And so on...
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 02:29:38 20/01/2012 by Archae
GhostRoaster Yellow Sparx Gems: 1803
#5 Posted: 02:31:49 20/01/2012
Quote: Archae

And so on...

Agreed, but is Skylanders on this level? I'm curious if management has communicated unit sales ... I really don't know if this is being considered a "blockbuster" hit...although coming from here and our shopping experiences it sounds like a resounding YES!
---
RIP GhostRoaster. He's reanimated as TakeYourLemons but occasionally is resurrected from the beyond when needed.
Grenadyr Green Sparx Gems: 244
#6 Posted: 02:37:52 20/01/2012
Quote: Ridinggrl27
Seriously? I live in a really small town and my local gamestop got there wave three shipment in just the 2 short days I was gone-poof-there weren't any left

I've talked to quite a few of the Gamestop people about that and they seem to get groups of six characters at a time and its pretty normal to sell them all to the first couple customers who spot them. The best I heard was about customers following the UPS truck around and "casually" lounging about the store until he unpacked the boxes.
#7 Posted: 02:44:51 20/01/2012 | Topic Creator
Quote: GhostRoaster

And so on...

Agreed, but is Skylanders on this level? I'm curious if management has communicated unit sales ... I really don't know if this is being considered a "blockbuster" hit...although coming from here and our shopping experiences it sounds like a resounding YES!

I doubt it will get to the madness level of "Tickle Me Elmo."
But the prices are already manytimes their original worth.

Add to the "Gotta have it" factor the fact that Skylanders may possibly be the highest-rated Spyro game to date.
It's a new concept adding our world toys to a videogame universe, and it's proving to be very popular.
---
terranakari Green Sparx Gems: 468
#8 Posted: 02:47:47 20/01/2012
Luckily one of my friends' husbands works for Wal-Mart, she says when they get their next shipment she's going to have him grab me a cynder which will rock, cuz she got the wave 3 on day one of her wal-mart having them lol, so nowshes going to keep an eye out for me, cant wait! Otehrwise she has a spare one she ordered off ebay for like $60 a week ago before her hubby brought her home a cynder so she'll jsut give me her. Super excited! cuz technically i have all ofwave 3 now as well! w00t!
---
We finally have all the skylanders from SA and SG! Still working on SSF & STT.

Proud Skylander Mom! To our little skyfamily. <3
Tramz Red Sparx Gems: 42
#9 Posted: 03:28:04 20/01/2012

And so on...

Man, at least it's not quite like the Cabbage Patch kids. The parents during that time actually would get into fist fights over those. But yeah, it definitely reminds me of those other toy crazes, just the same.

As much as I wish there was something that could be done about the scalpers (I am patient, but it is frustrating), the shipments have been so unfortunately small, that I doubt even instituting a one-per-customer policy would help.
---
M: [smiliesmiliesmiliesmilie] T: [smiliesmiliesmiliesmilie] U: [smiliesmiliesmiliesmilie] L: [smiliesmilie] F: [smiliesmilie] E: [smiliesmiliesmiliesmilie] A: [smiliesmilie] W: [smiliesmiliesmilie]
Brony Blue Sparx Gems: 660
#10 Posted: 03:59:43 20/01/2012
Went to Best Buy yesterday, full of Skylanders. Today, empty. Shame on scalpers.
Whirlwind5598 Green Sparx Gems: 332
#11 Posted: 05:11:31 20/01/2012
Quote: Brony
Went to Best Buy yesterday, full of Skylanders. Today, empty. Shame on scalpers.

OMG! I called yesterday and they restocked on everything except wave 3 and I went today and nothing.
---
smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie

SerAndrew Red Sparx Gems: 10
#12 Posted: 07:16:53 21/01/2012
The good news is scalpers won't get much. Just in the last 24 hours, ebay has seen a huge drop in price for Whirlwind, Double Trouble, and Cynder. Now, each goes for about $20 apiece. It appears the bubble finally burst and most stores are getting plenty of wave 3. Scalpers did themselves in, flooding ebay with so many auctions that supply finally outweighs demand.
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 07:18:48 21/01/2012 by SerAndrew
#13 Posted: 16:32:30 21/01/2012 | Topic Creator
Quote: SerAndrew
The good news is scalpers won't get much. Just in the last 24 hours, ebay has seen a huge drop in price for Whirlwind, Double Trouble, and Cynder. Now, each goes for about $20 apiece. It appears the bubble finally burst and most stores are getting plenty of wave 3. Scalpers did themselves in, flooding ebay with so many auctions that supply finally outweighs demand.

I'm glad to hear that, the greedy jerks will end up losing money, and actual prices will become common.
---
Himewad Yellow Sparx Gems: 1819
#14 Posted: 17:58:13 21/01/2012
They won't lose money unless stores don't let them return their stockpiled merchandise.

Need a return policy that states something like this, "If you buy more than two of the same item, you will only be allowed to return a maximum of two in the future."

And I'm sure their computer system could track if they purchased the same item on different days. So buying two of Cynder, for example, on 7 consecutive days would still only allow for a maximum return of two.
---
BEST PILOT IN ALL OF SKYLANDS ... WAIT FOR IT ... BOOM!
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 17:58:47 21/01/2012 by Himewad
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me