Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
Page 1 of 2 | Last
1 2
Really......Really???? [CLOSED]
Monsinour Blue Sparx Gems: 972
#1 Posted: 02:59:50 15/01/2012 | Topic Creator
2 gold chop chops just had their auction end on ebay. One went for $178 and the other for $173. Who in their right mind is willing to spend that kind of money on an $8 toy? Come on. It is a lump of plastic for freaks sake. Its not that rare as not all of them have hit the freaking market! There isn't a kid on the planet who deserves this kind of expenditure and no collector who has his/her wits about them would spend this kind of money. OMG I just cannot wrap my mind around the fact that there are 2 people who think this is acceptable.
---
My kids own :
useless pieces of plastic
Not only that, we passed up 3 of them that we didn't have today. Uselesd carp...
Octorber13 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1120
#2 Posted: 03:05:07 15/01/2012
Quote: Monsinour
2 gold chop chops just had their auction end on ebay. One went for $178 and the other for $173. Who in their right mind is willing to spend that kind of money on an $8 toy? Come on. It is a lump of plastic for freaks sake. Its not that rare as not all of them have hit the freaking market! There isn't a kid on the planet who deserves this kind of expenditure and no collector who has his/her wits about them would spend this kind of money. OMG I just cannot wrap my mind around the fact that there are 2 people who think this is acceptable.

I hear some where a fool spend their money foolesley.
SilentButDeadly Gold Sparx Gems: 2086
#3 Posted: 03:07:03 15/01/2012
Meh. The buyers get what they want. The sellers get a crud load of cash. I'd like the sound of that as long as I were the seller.
---
LevanJess Emerald Sparx Gems: 3516
#4 Posted: 03:12:42 15/01/2012
You know I could go buy a regular Chop Chop and buy a spray thing of gold paint.
It would only cost me a little bit of my time and less than $15.
---
but i love it all smooth
Tashiji Yellow Sparx Gems: 1453
#5 Posted: 03:13:02 15/01/2012
Well you clearly want them a lot yourself, otherwise you wouldn't care this much.
spyroflame0487 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3866
#6 Posted: 03:19:13 15/01/2012
no collector who has his/her wits about them would spend this kind of money. OMG I just cannot wrap my mind around the fact that there are 2 people who think this is acceptable.

Then you sir, don't know people.

My dad collects Hot Wheels. You know, those little plastic metal cars? Well, every year they have a convention somewhere in the US. (one in CA, one somewhere on the East Coast). Generally, "convention" cars go for about $150 EACH. There's commonly a total of 4 cars, then a few charity cars as well in which the money is donated to the Make a Wish Foundation.

While they do donate some money to charity, at least 1000 people attend them every year. Just total that amount up. That's just one convention.

If someone wants a collector's item like a Gold Skylander, especially in a market where they're super rare, they'll fork the money over every day of the week. If I had the money, I'd probably try buying one as well.
---
Why did Uncle Peter have an interdimentional portal in his attic?
Spyro's entire collection! [Updated June 28th 15]
GameMaster78 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3321
#7 Posted: 03:42:00 15/01/2012
I paid 127 for one, and I don't feel bad at all. The reason? They can only go up in price. 127 for one will pail in comparison to what they will go for in the future.

I bet 20 years from now, I can pay for the entirety of my Skylanders collection, if I sold my gold Chop and 3 silver Skylanders. That's all my games, all figures for myself and my kids, and the ones hanging on my wall.

170 is even a wise investment, seeing as the previous ones went for less just a couple of days ago.

Like the developer at Toys for Bob said, whatever store gets one, will only get 1... EVER. Think about that.

EDIT: Infact, I would go as far as to say I feel sorry for those who sold this figure for less than 200 bucks. Had they sat on it for a few years, they could have gotten more. Some people just want money now. Even though they are making a profit, it's a small profit compared to what they could have years down the line.
---
Wii U: GameMaster1178, XBL: GameMaster1178, PSN: megax28
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 03:44:55 15/01/2012 by GameMaster78
#8 Posted: 03:43:52 15/01/2012 | Topic Creator
Quote: Tashiji
Well you clearly want them a lot yourself, otherwise you wouldn't care this much.

I am actually wondering what they are going without just to have these.
---
My kids own :
Not only that, we passed up 3 of them that we didn't have today. Uselesd carp...
#9 Posted: 03:48:20 15/01/2012
Also, think of this. I bought mine for 127 3 days ago. It's already going for about 50 dollars more. Consider that a 50 dollar profit, IF I wanted to sell it at this point in time. That's after only 3 days for the last ones that sold.

EDIT: Look at what silvers are going for now -

http://www.ebay.com/csc/i.html...d=p3286.c0.m283

That's after only a couple of months. Imagine what they will go for in about 2-5 years.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 03:50:31 15/01/2012 by GameMaster78
DrillSarge Gold Sparx Gems: 2327
#10 Posted: 03:53:51 15/01/2012
$170 bucks is a gamble. I would never pay that. If u did punch yourself in the face. Unless you are rich and money is no object to you. We wobt know the value of these til years later. The best time to sell is now. A month from now they cpuld annoumce on facebook that gold cjop chop comes in a mcdonalds happy meal. Then your gold chop chop would be worth a small fry at mcdonalds. Stop paying these amounts for this crap. You are ruining it for everyone when idiots like you spend so much money. Eople that actually want to open and play with a figure like cynder will probably never gget the chance because of money hungry sellers and trust fund babies whose mommies and daddies gice them moneyvto blow on something that will never be as popular as other toys. Tons of people where i live dont even know what they are and never will where as everyone remembers their ninja turtle tys. Everyone has the right to do what they want and this is jist my opinion. Personally I would never spend that much on one of these figures. Id rather take my wife out to dinner with 170$ or out of town for the day. But on one plastic toy just bc it has a different color. Lolololololol good luck with the investment.

P.s. people use to invest in guitar hero rare guitars. It was wildly popular. Now u can get any color or even the rarest one made for like 10 bucks. The franchise ran its course and one day this one will to. Until their are skylanders toys seperate from the game, a movie, cartoon series, t shirts, lunchboxes, school supplies (pencils, backpacks, etc), pajamas like old toys that actually are worth something unopened. This franchise will not be one of them. The demand is just high right now and that is why sellers are getting the most money they ever will from these right now. Eventually it will flop like baseball cards (and not cards like autographed babe ruths or super rare legendary players.)
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 03:59:28 15/01/2012 by DrillSarge
LevanJess Emerald Sparx Gems: 3516
#11 Posted: 03:55:07 15/01/2012
^ I mostly agree.
---
but i love it all smooth
P1anet Fun Green Sparx Gems: 306
#12 Posted: 04:01:02 15/01/2012
Quote: GameMaster78
Also, think of this. I bought mine for 127 3 days ago. It's already going for about 50 dollars more. Consider that a 50 dollar profit, IF I wanted to sell it at this point in time. That's after only 3 days for the last ones that sold.

EDIT: Look at what silvers are going for now -

http://www.ebay.com/csc/i.html...d=p3286.c0.m283

That's after only a couple of months. Imagine what they will go for in about 2-5 years.

This is true IF Skylanders is still popular. If it becomes less popular (like beanie babies) it still may have some value but people won't care and the price will drop. I remember the Royal Blue Peanut beanie going for $7000, now it's only going for $700. The value may increase, or it may go down. I have all three silvers, but I wouldn't want to pay more than $100 for the gold Chop Chop.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 04:12:57 15/01/2012 by P1anet Fun
#13 Posted: 04:06:58 15/01/2012
Sing a majigs were popular 2 christmas's ago. Parents couldnt find them, stores were sold out, some had errors that made them rare. This christmas target had them on clearence for 1$. Its to much of a hit or miss to blow that kind of cash on these toys. It would mean more to me to actually find a rare skylander myself then to buy one from someone else's glory. If i found one to me it would be worth that much in my mind as an owner. As a buyer the finder has gotten all the glory of finding the figure so there is nothing left for me to buy but the plastic.
#14 Posted: 04:20:22 15/01/2012 | Topic Creator
I paid 127 for one, and I don't feel bad at all. The reason? They can only go up in price. 127 for one will pail in comparison to what they will go for in the future.

I bet 20 years from now, I can pay for the entirety of my Skylanders collection, if I sold my gold Chop and 3 silver Skylanders. That's all my games, all figures for myself and my kids, and the ones hanging on my wall.

170 is even a wise investment, seeing as the previous ones went for less just a couple of days ago.

Like the developer at Toys for Bob said, whatever store gets one, will only get 1... EVER. Think about that.

EDIT: Infact, I would go as far as to say I feel sorry for those who sold this figure for less than 200 bucks. Had they sat on it for a few years, they could have gotten more. Some people just want money now. Even though they are making a profit, it's a small profit compared to what they could have years down the line.

You got yours for $127 as it was the first one available and that auction ended the soonest. You have to be the most optimistic person alive to even think, let alone believe, that this figure will sell for over a grand in 5 years. If it does, I will be glad to eat crow. If it doesn't sell for more than $150 in 5 years, I reserve the right to point and laugh in your face.
---
My kids own :
ialexonline Green Sparx Gems: 452
#15 Posted: 04:34:15 15/01/2012
Ehh...to each their own. Personally I dont agree with "collectors"

In a sense, collectors are no different than scalpers. Everything I "Collect" I take out of the box and also use. I keep it in good shape because im not a barbarian, but I use it because I dont have future plans to make a profit on it. If I buy something, I buy it to use it not to look at it in a box.

Everyone hates scalpers, but what makes collectors who keep things in the best shape any better? You're saving it for future value.

To be honest though, Skylanders isn't something I would collect to sell in the future. Sure it's cool, but honestly I see the price DECREASING in the future, not increasing. I have a Holographics Charizard from the first Pokemon set in pristine condition. You know what it goes for now? Like 10 bucks on eBay. You know how much people used to think theyd sell for in the future? Thousands.

And ya know what, in the future my Charizard might be worth something because Pokemon is already about 10 years in and stronger than ever. I dont see Skylanders becoming THAT big. It's HUGE right now, but Silly Bandz were huge a few months ago, and Webkinz, and Beanie Babies and so the cycle continues. There is rarely anything collectible of value in todays market BECAUSE of eBay.

eBay lets you get in touch with billions of people worldwide. Anything collectible becomes a hell of a lot times less rare, despite only a few being made.

If I was going to be buying a 127 dollars gold figure, i'd be buying it to us it for myself, not to keep it for price increase. I would buy it knowing that if I didnt get more in the future I wouldnt be disappointed in the slightest because I REALLY wanted it for me, and resale didnt matter.
---
Skylanders I own: smiliesmiliesmilie smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
#16 Posted: 04:46:25 15/01/2012
^I agree. I don't see Skylanders increasing in value. Maybe it'll go up a bit, but it'll go down later on in the future. I bought the three silver figures on eBay, but I got great deals for them. Two were $40 and one was $50. I'll probably hold onto them for now. I may decide to sell them, but I just think they are cool. If I find a gold Chop Chop in stores, yeah I would keep it, but I don't want to spend over $100 for one, as much as I want it lol.
CynderFan1309 Gold Sparx Gems: 2235
#17 Posted: 04:49:02 15/01/2012
Quote: LevanJess
You know I could go buy a regular Chop Chop and buy a spray thing of gold paint.
It would only cost me a little bit of my time and less than $15.

Quote: ialexonline
Ehh...to each their own. Personally I dont agree with "collectors"

In a sense, collectors are no different than scalpers. Everything I "Collect" I take out of the box and also use. I keep it in good shape because im not a barbarian, but I use it because I dont have future plans to make a profit on it. If I buy something, I buy it to use it not to look at it in a box.

Everyone hates scalpers, but what makes collectors who keep things in the best shape any better? You're saving it for future value.

To be honest though, Skylanders isn't something I would collect to sell in the future. Sure it's cool, but honestly I see the price DECREASING in the future, not increasing.

I dont see Skylanders becoming THAT big. It's HUGE right now, but Silly Bandz were huge a few months ago, and Webkinz, and Beanie Babies and so the cycle continues. There is rarely anything collectible of value in todays market BECAUSE of eBay.

eBay lets you get in touch with billions of people worldwide. Anything collectible becomes a hell of a lot times less rare, despite only a few being made.

^ these these these
#18 Posted: 04:50:12 15/01/2012
Well Flintstones: Surprise at Dinosaur Peak on the NES wasn't popular, and that goes for about 300 bucks with no box and instructions. Why wouldn't a gold Chop Chop, from a well received game and being a collectable figure, go for more down the line?

The analogy of Chop Chop being in a Happy Meal doesn't seem very logical. Skylander figures won't come in Happy Meals. Maybe bootleg toys, that don't do anything to serve this game, could come in one.

Like I said, this figure is one to stores that carry Skylanders... PERIOD! No store can ever get more than one according to a developer at Toys for Bob. Even then, that developer stated not all stores may even get one, making it even more rare than silver figures.

Games get popular, then they lose popularity, then nostalgia sets in and gets popular again. I see this being one of those games. If I can compare this game to Gauntlet, which is old-school gaming goodness, what game in the future would make people seek this game out, due to the playstyle?

Imagine this, though. Let's say 2 years down the line, these figures are no longer sold. How do people find them in any way other than Ebay? It's not like used video games, and you can walk into Gamestop asking for a used Trigger Happy. NOPE! Some stores don't even take this game in for trade. Ebay will forever be the selling ground for all of these figures. Crazy thing is, though, ALL figures will only go up in price as they become discontinued.

Not that I'm selling mine. Imagine having a good game collection in 20 years, and being able to say in a conversation with someone, "Oh, Skylanders. I remember that game. I own that game." The other person says, "Yeah. But do you own any of the figures? Those aren't easy to come by afterall." The other person then replies, "Yep! I have all 37." Who else in 20 years will be able to say that? Remember, the gaming industry is full of gamers who get rid of things as fast as they buy it. Kids will buy figures and they will get torn up, trashed and whatnot. That makes for less and less Skylanders in the world... which drives up the value of each figure.
---
#19 Posted: 05:05:50 15/01/2012 | Topic Creator
Yup gamemaster, you are ever the optimist.
---
My kids own :
greenlantern511 Ripto Gems: 270
#20 Posted: 05:11:43 15/01/2012

At least he's not one of those people that are like" I'm stupid and think Skylanders won't be worth a bag of dirt in 1 year, cause I herp derp everywhere."
Sunny Castanets Gold Sparx Gems: 2231
#21 Posted: 05:16:10 15/01/2012
If people want to spend money out on the figures, that's their decision, really.

I personally don't have the money to be able to do such a thing, and I don't think I would want to, but if others want to do it to have a collection, why on Earth not?
---
Sunny, as always, you are so darn smart.
greenlantern511 Ripto Gems: 270
#22 Posted: 05:18:47 15/01/2012
Quote: greenlantern511

At least he's not one of those people that are like" I'm stupid and think Skylanders won't be worth a bag of dirt in 1 year, cause I herp derp everywhere."

I LOL'd after I re read my own comment.
#23 Posted: 05:28:30 15/01/2012
The last thing Im doing is thinking about playing, buying or tslking about this game in 20 years. If u put the gold chop chop on the portal he still shows up as the same chop chop everyone else has. If that amount of gold plastic is worth 100$ to you then more power to you. Anything can happen, to assume they will be worth a lot of money in the future is insane. Just bc somethibg is rare doesnt mean it is valuable.These are popular now but in a year or two this game will be forgotten about. Everyone will have played the game and played with each character then it will be old and boring. I agree with the earlier post. If it happens ill eat crow but i bet in 20 years if u put gold chop chop online and started the bidding at 9$, nobody would care and it wouldnt sale.
Himewad Yellow Sparx Gems: 1819
#24 Posted: 05:45:27 15/01/2012
20 years ago, people were going ape-**** for Tecmo Bowl. I really enjoyed that game, but I don't bring it up in conversation nowadays, even with my friends that I played it with.

If you, 20 years from now, are expecting to impress someone with your by-then antiquated technology and assortment of figures, I think you are mistaken. it might be worth something, but consider inflation over the next 20 years and they will have to go up a significant amount to be even remotely worth a purchase today. It's not like you're collecting a '69 Corvette. You're collecting an eight-dollar glorified memory card.
---
BEST PILOT IN ALL OF SKYLANDS ... WAIT FOR IT ... BOOM!
chaosworrier Yellow Sparx Gems: 1555
#25 Posted: 12:12:07 15/01/2012
I will temper this with an opening statement that I will get a gold Chop Chop sooner or later and have the money to purchase it. This is for my own OCD collecting bug and nothing else.

I think people need to understand the concept of a demand bubble and the base concept that all bubbles pop sooner or later. It does not matter if it is SL figs, tech stocks or tulips (yes, that is a real example; please Google tulip bubble 1636-37).

The investment is solely based on "greater fool" theory where you are sure you will find someone who will pay more for your item than you did. This holds true to art as well as little plastic toys.

In terms of economics, something can only be classified as an asset if it generates income. Hence stocks and property are only assets if they give you dividends/rent.

Does your Zap character get off his base and earn his keep? No, he is not an asset.

In summary, SL figs may go up in value in the long term but they may also hit a peak in the intermediate future and then burst. Unfortunately, the chance is heavily skewed to the latter.

Personally, I think that they will always have a certain nostalgic value but there is no chance in living Skyland that they will skyrocket in value. Why should they, they are mass produced and there will always be heaps around. Even the coveted silvers and golds will never be truly rare.

Example:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Star-W...=item41616c8b23

Even this example is still not in the hundreds and may well be truly one of a kind? While you are there, search for X-File ultra-rares and see their dismal asking price.
---
Soylent Green is People!
Definitive Doom Spreadsheet...of Doom: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7oq1...ers%20List.xlsm
#26 Posted: 13:35:48 15/01/2012
Well Flintstones: Surprise at Dinosaur Peak on the NES wasn't popular, and that goes for about 300 bucks with no box and instructions. Why wouldn't a gold Chop Chop, from a well received game and being a collectable figure, go for more down the line?

The analogy of Chop Chop being in a Happy Meal doesn't seem very logical. Skylander figures won't come in Happy Meals. Maybe bootleg toys, that don't do anything to serve this game, could come in one.

Like I said, this figure is one to stores that carry Skylanders... PERIOD! No store can ever get more than one according to a developer at Toys for Bob. Even then, that developer stated not all stores may even get one, making it even more rare than silver figures.

Games get popular, then they lose popularity, then nostalgia sets in and gets popular again. I see this being one of those games. If I can compare this game to Gauntlet, which is old-school gaming goodness, what game in the future would make people seek this game out, due to the playstyle?

Imagine this, though. Let's say 2 years down the line, these figures are no longer sold. How do people find them in any way other than Ebay? It's not like used video games, and you can walk into Gamestop asking for a used Trigger Happy. NOPE! Some stores don't even take this game in for trade. Ebay will forever be the selling ground for all of these figures. Crazy thing is, though, ALL figures will only go up in price as they become discontinued.

Not that I'm selling mine. Imagine having a good game collection in 20 years, and being able to say in a conversation with someone, "Oh, Skylanders. I remember that game. I own that game." The other person says, "Yeah. But do you own any of the figures? Those aren't easy to come by afterall." The other person then replies, "Yep! I have all 37." Who else in 20 years will be able to say that? Remember, the gaming industry is full of gamers who get rid of things as fast as they buy it. Kids will buy figures and they will get torn up, trashed and whatnot. That makes for less and less Skylanders in the world... which drives up the value of each figure.

The first line of this is your fatal flaw. Flintstones WASNT popular. Therefore, not many where made, the ones that were made and not liked were destroyed, thrown out or otherwise lost or gotten rid of, making the ones that people DO Have in PRISTINE CONDITION super rare and hard to come by, despite being disliked, it's still an almost one of a kind thing.

Skylanders are expected to be collectible, therefore they wont be. EVERYONE Will be saving them and keeping them in pristine condition so that they'll be worth something. Which will make them not worth something. The ones that are gold and silver will always have slightly added value over the normal ones, but into the thousands? No way.

Also, I think at some point stores will be taking them in for trades. They're so popular, so no one can find them, anyone willing to trade in a figure for 3-4 bucks and have gamestop sell it for 8-10 im sure theyd be happy to do especially because Activision isnt meeting the demands they want.
---
Skylanders I own: smiliesmiliesmilie smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
kappapopm Ripto Gems: 1186
#27 Posted: 14:09:51 15/01/2012
one word.... 'evilbay'.
#28 Posted: 14:31:32 15/01/2012
Well any good gamer will have a collection that spans old and new.

I still go out and hunt for Nintendo games from 25+ years ago. Face it. Old games with horrible graphics compared to todays games, can still be much more fun than todays games. Why? The focus wasn't on graphics, but gameplay.

I know a lot of gamers who are stuck on the here and now. They only believe in talking about the games of today. They only believe in playing the games of today. They're too elite to go back to games that smoke the games of today. Those people are boring to talk with about video games. That's why most of the conversations I have with fellow gaming friends around my area, are those who will still talk and hold conversations about past games. They also go on the hunt for games dating back to the NES as well.

I have lots of stores around me, that sell games dating back to the NES. I am always hunting for Splatterhouse 3 on Genesis, Ninja Warriors, Sonic Blastman 1 and 2, Pocky and Rocky 2 on SNES, and Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers 2 on NES. I even grabbed an Earthbound about a year ago.

Here are some games I've found on my hunt. Some of the most obscure games on this planet.

[User Posted Image]

A true gamer, values games from all systems. They don't play fanboy to a certain system, nor think the graphics of old games, should keep them from talking about said game 20 years down the line.

Infact, some of us break out the Dreamcast, just to play Soul Calibur, because parts 2-4 seemingly never get it right. Those games look better than Soul Cal 1, yes, but they sure don't play better than Soul Cal 1.
---
PinkWater Yellow Sparx Gems: 1059
#29 Posted: 14:54:24 15/01/2012
^ HOLY CRAP YOU HAVE EARTHBOUND

I LOVE YOU
---
CILAN IS THE SEXIEST MAN ALIVE.

I DARE YOU TO PROVE ME WRONG! ...Actually don't. I'm quite biased.
#30 Posted: 14:58:27 15/01/2012 | Topic Creator
You can't call any megaman game obscure.

I also agree that the flintstone game is "valuable" to some because there are hardly any left in existance. These skylanders are mass produced and there will be a ton of them available in 5 years.

I would imagine that you call yourself a true gamer. I am also aware that your too young for an atari 2600. But I do have to ask, where is your panasonic 3DO and that fighting game with the Rob Zombie music? Since you have a dreamcast (why?) You should have the 3DO.
---
My kids own :
#31 Posted: 15:01:31 15/01/2012
It's an awesome game. A game like Earthbound dances circles around Hallway Fantasy XIII ANY DAY! And the graphics aren't HD. Doesn't stop it from being a good game.

Here's another example. Xenoblade. It's for the Wii, so thereby not being an HD game. Still the best RPG I've played in my life. No 360 or PS3 RPG can match that game.......... EVER!

Sad thing is, HD games put graphics over gameplay, which usually hinder said game from being good. Just look at Linear Hallway XIII. Sad, sad, sad RPG that can't even hold a candle to the excellent Xenoblade. I own both (imported Xenoblade from Eruope) and it's too easy to see how a game with decent graphics, can best a game with HD graphics.
---
#32 Posted: 15:09:07 15/01/2012 | Topic Creator

Here's another example. Xenoblade. It's for the Wii, so thereby not being an HD game. Still the best RPG I've played in my life. No 360 or PS3 RPG can match that game.......... EVER!

I have to assume you are excluding PC games with that statement. D2 has it all over all other RPGs hands down.
---
My kids own :
Skaterpunkdan Blue Sparx Gems: 501
#33 Posted: 15:20:01 15/01/2012

I have to assume you are excluding PC games with that statement. D2 has it all over all other RPGs hands down.

comments like these are opinions obviously because anyone can think any game is better than another
---
I Have: 37/37
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 15:21:09 15/01/2012 by Skaterpunkdan
#34 Posted: 15:21:36 15/01/2012
The idea that any PC RPG other than a port of the Mass Effect series could possibly be better than the Mass Effect series. smilie

... In other words, RPG preference is a matter of opinion.
Skaterpunkdan Blue Sparx Gems: 501
#35 Posted: 15:23:17 15/01/2012
The idea that any PC RPG other than a port of the Mass Effect series could possibly be better than the Mass Effect series. smilie

... In other words, RPG preference is a matter of opinion.

definitely this
---
I Have: 37/37
spyroflame0487 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3866
#36 Posted: 15:30:17 15/01/2012
>Duck Tales 2

[User Posted Image]

As of right now, yeah, I can definitely see them being more rare down the line.

HOWEVER, Beanie Babies lost popularity because of how many there were and because they decided to retire some older designs. Plus, Ty eventually decided to end the line, so they just lost interest.

As long as they don't make a ridiculous amount of these, there should be no reason they'll fizzle out. At least as long as they make a sequel or something. Another toy line comes to mind, the Secret Saturdays line from Mattel. They assumed a lot of people wanted these so they mass produced them and had a whole ton of these things in extra stock. Once the series ended, most of the figures went to cheap shops where they could be picked up for a few bucks...
---
Why did Uncle Peter have an interdimentional portal in his attic?
Spyro's entire collection! [Updated June 28th 15]
#37 Posted: 15:34:53 15/01/2012
But Beanie Babies were, well, stuffed animals filled with plastic beans. That is a far cry from being a Skylander. It's hard to imagine an adult getting nostalgic for a Beanie Baby in quite the same way they will for Skylanders in 15-20 years. I'd compare these more to boxed G.I. Joes and My Little Ponies from the 1980s, and those have appreciated in value quite well over the years. Future collectors' value is all about how much the target demographic loves the product when they first get it. Nothing dictates who's going to buy what 20 years down the line more than that. Because Skylanders is such a smash with the kiddos and such a fun product in general, I expect those rosy memories to yield high returns for vintage toys in a decade or two.
#38 Posted: 15:51:43 15/01/2012 | Topic Creator
But Beanie Babies were, well, stuffed animals filled with plastic beans. That is a far cry from being a Skylander. It's hard to imagine an adult getting nostalgic for a Beanie Baby in quite the same way they will for Skylanders in 15-20 years. I'd compare these more to boxed G.I. Joes and My Little Ponies from the 1980s, and those have appreciated in value quite well over the years. Future collectors' value is all about how much the target demographic loves the product when they first get it. Nothing dictates who's going to buy what 20 years down the line more than that. Because Skylanders is such a smash with the kiddos and such a fun product in general, I expect those rosy memories to yield high returns for vintage toys in a decade or two.

To each their own. My wife loves her manatee beanie baby and cherrishes it more than our old game collection or her old my little ponies she has.

I still don't believe these things will be hard to find any time in the future due to production and so many collectors now.
---
My kids own :
#39 Posted: 15:58:00 15/01/2012
There have been toys with greater mass production that are still worth a fortune now. It's all about who's willing to wait it out.
#40 Posted: 17:12:05 15/01/2012
There have been toys with greater mass production that are still worth a fortune now. It's all about who's willing to wait it out.

Yes but greater mass production that people collected right away?

Skylanders have been collected from day 1...by basically everyone...so that means even the nostalgic ones down the line might either A - Still have theirs or B - Be able to purchase them still relatively cheap because so many people had them and kept htem pristine.
---
eruptor1999 Green Sparx Gems: 219
#41 Posted: 17:35:40 15/01/2012
omg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
#42 Posted: 18:06:58 15/01/2012
Quote: ialexonline

Yes but greater mass production that people collected right away?

Skylanders have been collected from day 1...by basically everyone...so that means even the nostalgic ones down the line might either A - Still have theirs or B - Be able to purchase them still relatively cheap because so many people had them and kept htem pristine.

You misunderstand me. I'm not saying that I know for a fact that they'll be worth a ton of money and not just retail price, just that it's WAY too early to speculate on these things. Nobody can make an informed conclusion, because it'll be decades before the matter even concludes. It's rash to say that they'll be worth nothing, AND that they'll be worth something, because the fact is time will tell. There are reasons to bet in either direction, but it's silly to preclude the matter all these years in advance.
#43 Posted: 18:19:41 15/01/2012
You can't call any megaman game obscure.

I also agree that the flintstone game is "valuable" to some because there are hardly any left in existance. These skylanders are mass produced and there will be a ton of them available in 5 years.

I would imagine that you call yourself a true gamer. I am also aware that your too young for an atari 2600. But I do have to ask, where is your panasonic 3DO and that fighting game with the Rob Zombie music? Since you have a dreamcast (why?) You should have the 3DO.

Well, I am not too young for Atari. I was born in 78. Atari was where it was at then. However, I just don't like playing Atari. Stores around my area sell 5 Atari games for 1.98. They are easy to find (some of them), but I have no interest in it.

I did own a 3DO, but the best games I owned on my 3DO, which was Super Street Fighter II Turbo and Samurai Showdown, I have on anthology collections on the original Xbox (Street Fighter Anniversary Collection) and PS2 (Samurai Showdown Anthology).

Mega Man games can be obscure. How often can you find a Saturn Mega Man 8, which has Cutman and Woodman as mid-level bosses, whereas the PS1 and the Mega Man Anniversary Collection have generic mid-level bosses in those two levels?

EDIT: I have a mess of sealed FF games.

[User Posted Image]

Those are namely for backups, incase something happens to my opened ones.

I even have a sealed Xenoblade Chronicles I imported from Europe... Yes, I ordered two copies of the game. It deserves my money.

[User Posted Image]

EDIT: I would say some other obscure stuff I own, would be a sealed Zelda: Twilight Princess on Gamecube, Ogre Battle on PS1, Lunar 1, 2 and Arc the Lad Collection on PS1, as well as games on Dreamcast like Giga Wing 1, 2, Mars Matrix, Cannon Spike and Power Stone 2. However, I bought all of those, because they happen to be good games.
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 18:26:56 15/01/2012 by GameMaster78
#44 Posted: 18:28:19 15/01/2012
I wanted to stay out of this, but GameMaster is right. He'll be laughing all the way to the bank on those games should he decide to sell them. I mean... do you even SEE the titles he has in that picture? Suikoden II alone is worth a fortune compared to retail price, and that's to say nothing of all the others, which will each fetch much more than market price even today. If you really don't think those games are going up in value year by year, I don't know whose posts you're reading; it seems pretty cut and dry from where I sit.
#45 Posted: 18:38:18 15/01/2012
Well Suikoden II was the only thing getting in the way of me playing my copies of III, IV and V. I heard you can transfer save data from the first Suikoden, to part II and from II to III. I don't like skipping, so I luckily found one at a local Vintage Stock and snatched it up without giving it a second thought.

Ducktales 2, well that's just Capcom. They made some of the best NES games back in the day.

And when thinking of Bust-a-Groove, well who here is well versed in PS1 knowledge and remembers this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPna5cfMtjQ

Awesome game.
---
#46 Posted: 18:44:04 15/01/2012
The extent of the transferred data is that you can use the hero from the first Suikoden as an optional hidden character in Suikoden II. Also, if you save (spoilery dead dude) in the first game, he makes a cameo with McDohl. There's a glitch where the first letter of McDohl's name will be the same as the first letter of your character's name in the first Suikoden--for example, Bobby in S1 = BcDohl in S2--but that's the extent of anything you can do with him. Useful character, but you must travel to Gregminster every time you want to play him.

I really would figure out a way to play it if I were you. Suikoden II has the best plotline of any RPG, in my opinion.
#47 Posted: 18:48:08 15/01/2012
Cool. I've only ever beaten part 1. Now I may have to give II a go. Thanks for the info on what the save transfer entails.
---
EgoNaut Yellow Sparx Gems: 1730
#48 Posted: 18:50:13 15/01/2012
I think there are so many examples both of old franchises becoming valuable in the eyes of collectors, and of old franchises becoming unwanted trash in the eyes of collectors, that it's almost like there's a 50-50 chance either way.

Collecting and buying up from the Skylanders franchise in the way that GameMaster78 has done was a gamble: Either it will pay off and he will make a lot of profit from all his work, or no-one will be interested enough, and he'll have wasted his money.

I wish you luck, sir!
---
S1: smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
S2: smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
S3: smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 18:52:41 15/01/2012 by EgoNaut
#49 Posted: 19:02:22 15/01/2012
Actually, my Skylanders collection was never bought with the intent to sell. None of my games are. They serve the purpose of being fun games to play, making my collection varied, and making my collection look good.

When I die, I may will my kids or someone to sell my games and give to a charity, or donate it to some history museum. Lord knows, the gaming industry wants to go download only, so history museums can show games when they were physical.

I still haven't decided. I'm just a Skylander uber ultra hyper meganut fan.
---
#50 Posted: 19:05:39 15/01/2012
If Skylanders were just toys and had nothing to do with video games, I'd say they won't be worth anything, but in years from now if you want to play Skylanders, you'll need the toys, so I do agree they'll be worth something. I just don't think it's thousands and thousands of dollars.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 19:06:43 15/01/2012 by P1anet Fun
Page 1 of 2 | Last
1 2

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me