Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
Page 1 of 1
Drill Sergeant variant. [CLOSED]
GameMaster78 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3321
#1 Posted: 21:26:26 14/01/2012 | Topic Creator
Okay, when Drill Sergeant first came out, I noticed that every one of him that I saw in Walmarts, had a bacl base, instead of silver cogs on the black base.

I kept looking in stores to see if any would have silver cogs, like tech Skylanders should have and never found any.

WELL, the Drill Sergeant in the new triple pack, has silver cogs, instead of an all black base. This may be what they call a running change. However, it could have been intentional on the original exclusive version of Drill Sergeant, to make it even more collectable.

So if you ever get a chance, or I decide to show it, take a look at Drill Sergeant while exclusive and in the new triple pack. You will see the difference.
---
Wii U: GameMaster1178, XBL: GameMaster1178, PSN: megax28
t7gga Yellow Sparx Gems: 1726
#2 Posted: 21:31:59 14/01/2012
just checked and the others techs do indeed have silver cogs and my original drill sergeant has a plain black cog base
DrillSarge Gold Sparx Gems: 2327
#3 Posted: 21:34:10 14/01/2012
My drill sarge from sams club on release date is shiny. Tge one i got in tge triple pack with double trouble is black like coal. Early sarge-shiney Recent Sarge-black. I almost posted this last night too. Ill post a pic
GameMaster78 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3321
#4 Posted: 21:34:25 14/01/2012 | Topic Creator
Yep! Now if you see the Drill Sergeant that comes in the new 3-pack, he has silver cogs, like the rest of the tech Skylanders.
---
Wii U: GameMaster1178, XBL: GameMaster1178, PSN: megax28
#5 Posted: 21:40:33 14/01/2012
Gamemaster can u post the pic for me? If u go to flickr and search people. Im the only person named "carnyewest". The pic is on there. The drill on the right is the early drill with a shiney metallic base. The one on the left is just flat black and some silver. The flash kinda makes it hard to see in the light but if u have both drill sarges u can def tell a difference.
JAP28 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1097
#6 Posted: 21:52:13 14/01/2012
Yup mine has the black base.....exclusive from Wal-Mart.
Maybe this is a way of comparing exclusives to the normal ones???
Anything different on Whirl-Wind?
---
All Current Skylanders just no pearl smilie
Himewad Yellow Sparx Gems: 1819
#7 Posted: 21:55:48 14/01/2012
OMG. Something new to limit supply. Super.

I still say these are as collectible as a bag of rocks. What a waste of money.
---
BEST PILOT IN ALL OF SKYLANDS ... WAIT FOR IT ... BOOM!
Tashiji Yellow Sparx Gems: 1453
#8 Posted: 22:02:41 14/01/2012
Quote: Himewad

I'm not sure I understand your example. A bag of rocks may mean nothing to you or I, but there are people whose livelihoods are largely fueled by collecting rocks.

Besides, nobody knows the true collector's value of something when it's fresh in the market. Nobody buying today will dictate that at all. Let's be honest here, a collector's market for Skylanders depends on whether enough of the kids playing it now feel enough nostalgia for it in 15-20 years to decide that, for whatever reason, they want a boxed set of the original toys. Don't scoff so readily at that, either. Look at G.I. Joe, My Little Pony, X-Men, Transformers... Frankly, I don't see where this is unlike that, and I personally consider them a relatively safe investment as a collection. At very least, I doubt they tank like Beanie Babies, but even a few of those dime store stuffed animals are worth major cash nowadays.
Himewad Yellow Sparx Gems: 1819
#9 Posted: 22:09:05 14/01/2012
Quote: Tashiji
Quote: Himewad

I'm not sure I understand your example. A bag of rocks may mean nothing to you or I, but there are people whose livelihoods are largely fueled by collecting rocks.

Besides, nobody knows the true collector's value of something when it's fresh in the market. Nobody buying today will dictate that at all. Let's be honest here, a collector's market for Skylanders depends on whether enough of the kids playing it now feel enough nostalgia for it in 15-20 years to decide that, for whatever reason, they want a boxed set of the original toys. Don't scoff so readily at that, either. Look at G.I. Joe, My Little Pony, X-Men, Transformers... Frankly, I don't see where this is unlike that, and I personally consider them a relatively safe investment as a collection. At very least, I doubt they tank like Beanie Babies, but even a few of those dime store stuffed animals are worth major cash nowadays.

Who is collecting rocks, storing them for 15-20 years, and selling them for profit? And doing this for their livelihood?

A video game CONSOLE may be a collectors item, but not a game. The Atari 2600, for example. But I don't see a huge market for Combat or Space Invaders.
---
BEST PILOT IN ALL OF SKYLANDS ... WAIT FOR IT ... BOOM!
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 22:09:51 14/01/2012 by Himewad
Tashiji Yellow Sparx Gems: 1453
#10 Posted: 22:12:01 14/01/2012
But do you see a huge market for boxed NES, SNES, and even N64 games? If you answer no, I can think of no other reason than you haven't looked. The right titles are worth a ton of money.

Besides, who's counting Skylanders as just a video game and not a series of toys as well? Counting you, that makes... one?
#11 Posted: 22:12:54 14/01/2012
I dont think this is anything worth money or that people will rush to buy. Just those that are completionist and want all the variants, silvers, golds etc. This topic was probably just created to say hey look.......not oh my god its so exclusive and rare i have to have it. I was going to trade this drill and whirlwind for cynder but nobody can find cynder. Tge most overhyped character there is. However, eventually there will be plenty for everyone. It is just a slow process.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 22:16:35 14/01/2012 by DrillSarge
chaosworrier Yellow Sparx Gems: 1555
#12 Posted: 23:08:15 14/01/2012
For the record, my Drill Sarg (obtained when game first came out) has silver cogs. They seem a tad less shiny but they are silver cogs nonetheless.

I just chalk this up to production run variance.

As for collection resale, I do not expect these things to hold value after the bubble bursts. I still collect the variants but I honestly think that they will end up too mass produced to be worthwhile.

My prior example was orig Star Wars figs versus the newer range.
---
Soylent Green is People!
Definitive Doom Spreadsheet...of Doom: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7oq1...ers%20List.xlsm
spyroflame0487 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3866
#13 Posted: 23:10:35 14/01/2012
It's actually really hard to see on pictures, but if you see them with your own eyes you can easily spot it.

[User Posted Image]
(Drill Sarge in the Triple Pack, Drill Sarge from original run, Drobot base for comparison)

The gear base is still actually glossy. To me it looks like they just didn't add the last coat of silver to the individual gears.
---
Why did Uncle Peter have an interdimentional portal in his attic?
Spyro's entire collection! [Updated June 28th 15]
Judge Green Sparx Gems: 312
#14 Posted: 23:33:07 14/01/2012
I see what you mean i would have never even thought to look till you pointed that out my brother has the three pack version and i the origional
---
smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie-smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie-smiliesmiliesmiliesmilie-smiliesmiliesmiliesmilie-smiliesmiliesmiliesmilie-smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie-smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie-smiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
#15 Posted: 23:41:36 14/01/2012
Im just ready for these characters to come out already. Ill never buy any of them off ebay and havent to this point. Id lpve to have silver skylanders but only if I find them. The one thing that ruins value of collecting these in unopened packages is that they can be played with in the packaging. Lol so ur unopened figure may be in a sealed box but 20 people playing with it before I get it is the same as it being opened. The seal is broken. However, as long as idiots are spending the mpney on these crazy prices then people will rush out to buy them all or pre order 100 of them to resale.. i ise to work at target and this group of women with no children wpuld always come in searching for exclusive hard to find toys to resale on ebay. They were well aware of skylanders and spent most of their time buying those and rare monster high dolls. The people that pay 40-200$ on these figures are the ones to blame. I have every skylander out but cynder. I bought the xbox and 3ds pack to get ignitor and dark spyro. I have never had to pay over retail price for any one of them. If people had patience cynder would be open to pre orders right now instead od evilbayers buying 50-00 at a time and posting ebay auctipn pre orders with amazon release dates.
Taintie Green Sparx Gems: 132
#16 Posted: 02:46:04 15/01/2012
That's actually really interesting! Probably an error in the original paint run, I'd guess.

Also, there ARE people who collect rocks then sell them later down the road... smilie I've studied a bit of geology and very very valuable rocks can be found if you have the right eye. We found tons of fossil samples, for example, many fairly 'pristine'. =P

I was actually talking about this with my fiance earlier today, and I do doubt it'll tank as hard as beanie babies seeing that it's also part of a videogame, which I feel has a lot to do with it. I also doubt they'll go the way of Barbies, either; although Barbies had a good run so it's hard to really knock it.
---
[smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie][smiliesmiliesmilie][smiliesmiliesmiliesmilie][smiliesmilie][smiliesmilie][smilie][smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie][smiliesmiliesmilie]
Sunny Castanets Gold Sparx Gems: 2231
#17 Posted: 05:20:48 15/01/2012
I've always wondered why the cogs on my Drill Sergeant aren't as silver as on the other three. Intriguing!
---
Quote: Tashiji
Sunny, as always, you are so darn smart.
greenlantern511 Ripto Gems: 270
#18 Posted: 05:23:57 15/01/2012
Mines not like that! I got mine at walmart though!
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me