Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
Page 1 of 1
Is the Skylanders fad dying? [CLOSED]
Dragonhope Gold Sparx Gems: 2992
#1 Posted: 03:54:01 19/12/2011 | Topic Creator
No seriously.

I walked in to GameStop yesterday to do some Christmas shopping for a kid who wanted Kirby Mass Attack. I was pretty pleased to see how this GameStop stopped putting random Skylanders next to the Wii games, giving it a full-fledged gaming stand, with Triple Packs taking the previous spot. Surprise, surprise; there was one row of Wrecking Balls, one row of Zaps, and if you look at the back, three Dino-Rangs overshadowing some figures plus more.

Strangely enough, look at Target and you have Darklight Crypts, Voodoods, Stump Smashes, Boomers, and a lone Drobot which an adult took.

Either the fad is dying due to the lack of new waves, or people favor Target over GameStop. Which is odd since the first thing that came to my mind that would sell Skylanders was GameStop itself.
---
Gaccha! Tanoshii dyueru dattaze!
[smilie][smiliesmilie][smiliesmilie][smiliesmilie][smiliesmilie]
RocketBeast Green Sparx Gems: 326
#2 Posted: 04:17:06 19/12/2011
Well, it is possible that when the game came out, it massively appealed to the kids it is focused towards, so kids and parents alike went out and bought as much as they could up.

It's been a couple of months, and it is possible that with the majority of those originally hyped kids, the game fell off their interest radar? Maybe most people already own the ones they want, so stock is filling up? Or its possible that parents are fed up with having to spend so much for the game plus all the figures and expansions the kids want?

Pick your poison, but I'm sure someone has a better explanation than I do.
---
Beastly Tiki Behemoth
Own: (smiliesmiliesmiliesmilie)(smiliesmiliesmiliesmilie)(smiliesmiliesmilie)(smiliesmilie)(smiliesmiliesmiliesmilie)(smiliesmiliesmiliesmilie)(smiliesmilie)(smiliesmilie)
dantilly Blue Sparx Gems: 778
#3 Posted: 04:20:13 19/12/2011
The people who were excited either bought all the figures already or stopped caring when they beat the game.

The people who didnt like the game didnt buy anything.

Eventually the pool of #1 grows thin and with the lack of new characters all the stores are now magically stocked!
---
Wreck-N-Roll!!
JAP28 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1097
#4 Posted: 04:41:07 19/12/2011
I think it just hit a first peak.....I was at Toy's R us yesterday and all they had was Dark-light Crypt and a whole whack of single boomers! That's all! Was kinda shocked!

But...........
I think the stores will be packed again after Christmas, many people, kids will get the game for Christmas, and like us will hunt out the rest of the Characters! (if they enjoy it)

I think it was just the first burst that we saw! More to come!
To be continued......
---
All Current Skylanders just no pearl smilie
#5 Posted: 05:01:48 19/12/2011 | Topic Creator
Quote: dantilly
The people who were excited either bought all the figures already or stopped caring when they beat the game.

The people who didnt like the game didnt buy anything.

Eventually the pool of #1 grows thin and with the lack of new characters all the stores are now magically stocked!
Well yeah, that's true. Unless another giant wave comes, that is. Which isn't until like what? 2012?
---
#6 Posted: 05:25:05 19/12/2011
2012 is soooo far away!!! hahaha only 14 days!!!
---
#7 Posted: 06:09:53 19/12/2011 | Topic Creator
Speaking in like say, February 2012 smilie
---
Okaps Platinum Sparx Gems: 6245
#8 Posted: 09:25:48 19/12/2011
The Gamestops I've been to either have no toys at all (no shelf space for them) or a mostly undisturbed selection.

I think the main reason why Gamestop is selling less figures is that other stores like Walmart is because people want to save time and money by driving to as few places as possible to fill their lists. Other than preorder bonuses and used games, there's not much reason to go spend more gas money going to Gamestop.
---
#all Spyros are valid
Spyro-Dragma Green Sparx Gems: 169
#9 Posted: 09:56:48 19/12/2011
people most likely stoped buying them till after christmas they probibly spent all their money so they waiting after christmas to buy them to see if they drop in price??
---
Skylanders i have: [smilie] [smilie] [smilie] [smilie] [smilie] [smilie] [smilie]
"The Beam is Supreme"
RadSpyro Gold Sparx Gems: 2007
#10 Posted: 15:56:34 19/12/2011
Whenever I go into Game or TRU they have floods of all figures in stock. They don't seem to be shifting them, either, and the game is going down in the charts.

Although seeing as Europe charge twice as much as the US price, there's a chance parents aren't as willing to fork over the money for them now.
---
TUMBLR
DEVIANTART
Visit me and stuff.
GameMaster78 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3321
#11 Posted: 16:03:22 19/12/2011
People can't speculate accurately, based on their one city/town.

If that's the case, I can say easily, that here in Oklahoma City, there is always someone picking up Skylanders related merch when I go into any store.

That's not exageration, either.

Yesterday, I went to a Best Buy to pick up a copy of Halo Reach for my son, so we can play online together. There was a lady who grabbed a Mega Pack to buy, while another parent was picking up one of the new three packs from a huge bin they sey up for the figures.

Walmart had to make an endcap for figures, seeing as how fast they've been selling them.

The people I know who work at Toys R Us tell me it's doing great.

However, just because it's doing superb here, doesn't mean it is in all cities and towns. Activision has deemed it successful enough to boost their profit forecasts for the fiscal year. Nat Loh of Toys for Bob is always reporting sellouts around the country. When they state that, that's how you can tell the "fad" isn't dying. Random people in random cities and towns will never be able to gauge how well any game is doing.
---
Wii U: GameMaster1178, XBL: GameMaster1178, PSN: megax28
kappapopm Ripto Gems: 1186
#12 Posted: 16:14:29 19/12/2011
...and just wait until xmas is over. the interest is going to explode... all the kids getting this game want more... and the parents love it to. so you will see alot more people gonna want skylanders than now. i am just glad i got the foot in the door early, because when the others are still grabbing the two first wave, i can concentrate getting wave 3 & 4. when they see wave 3 & 4 is empty, you will hear a cry all the way to alaska and santa will be forced to do another run... while i can sit comfy at home enjoying the 32++ characters smilie
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 16:19:56 19/12/2011 by kappapopm
Ignitoe76 Red Sparx Gems: 80
#13 Posted: 16:19:23 19/12/2011
Physical and online stores in Sweden have been low on stock for weeks, but last week it seemed like most of them re-stocked again. I think that there will be a hype after christmas again when the kids who get it will want more figures, and also the word of mouth will kick in when new owners are telling other people of this fascinating game/toy combo.
#14 Posted: 16:20:23 19/12/2011
Quote: kappapopm
...and just wait until xmas is over. the interest is going to explode... all the kids getting this game want more... and the parents love it to. so you will see alot more people gonna want skylanders than now.

I agree 100% we just saw the start....I think Skylanders will be exploding again very soon too!
Posters, more characters, strategy guides, tower cases.....will all be back on the shelves very soon!
---
#15 Posted: 16:22:33 19/12/2011
Quote: GameMaster78

If that's the case, I can say easily, that here in Oklahoma City, there is always someone picking up Skylanders related merch when I go into any store.

Yesterday, I went to a Best Buy to pick up a copy of Halo Reach for my son, so we can play online together. There was a lady who grabbed a Mega Pack to buy, while another parent was picking up one of the new three packs from a huge bin they sey up for the figures.

Walmart had to make an endcap for figures, seeing as how fast they've been selling them.

However, just because it's doing superb here, doesn't mean it is in all cities and towns. Activision has deemed it successful enough to boost their profit forecasts for the fiscal year. Nat Loh of Toys for Bob is always reporting sellouts around the country. When they state that, that's how you can tell the "fad" isn't dying. Random people in random cities and towns will never be able to gauge how well any game is doing.

In the US, the game probably is selling well still - But if the game is dropping down in charts all over one country, that's when you can tell it's slowly losing the battle. Other games which came out before Skylanders are still in the same place/rising in charts over in the UK, but Sky is falling, sadly.

Whilst it's easy for them to say it's doing well all over the world, that still doesn't mean it won't slow down eventually. The actual fad is over - The game is still active, though.
---
TUMBLR
DEVIANTART
Visit me and stuff.
#16 Posted: 16:27:57 19/12/2011
Quote: RadSpyro

In the US, the game probably is selling well still - But if the game is dropping down in charts all over one country, that's when you can tell it's slowly losing the battle. Other games which came out before Skylanders are still in the same place/rising in charts over in the UK, but Sky is falling, sadly.

Whilst it's easy for them to say it's doing well all over the world, that still doesn't mean it won't slow down eventually. The actual fad is over - The game is still active, though.

its natural to slowdown now. because most is out of stock, people have bought it for xmas presents etc. when people is getting skylanders for xmas, shop restock and new wave of figurines coming it will blow up all over again... we just seen the first wave of interest and buyers... there will be a second and third coming, before we finally start to slow down. by then hopefully we will see some stuff from the upcoming skylanders2...
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 16:33:50 19/12/2011 by kappapopm
#17 Posted: 16:31:33 19/12/2011

its natural to slowdown now. because most is out of stock, people have bought it for xmas presents etc. when restock, people getting skylanders for xmas and new wave of figurines coming it will blow up all over again... just wait and see...

It probably will, though even with the latest Wave 2 figures, that didn't cause a huge sell out status. Most stores around me have a huge amount of stock left, and I've never come across a store that has run out of the game on any platform (except PC of course).

I'm just thinking of all the fads I've seen in the past and comparing (the wrong thing to do I guess).
---
TUMBLR
DEVIANTART
Visit me and stuff.
#18 Posted: 16:37:49 19/12/2011

its natural to slowdown now. because most is out of stock, people have bought it for xmas presents etc. when people is getting skylanders for xmas, shop restock and new wave of figurines coming it will blow up all over again... we just seen the first wave of interest and buyers... there will be a second and third coming, before we finally start to slow down. by then hopefully we will see some stuff from the upcoming skylanders2...

It probably will, though even with the latest Wave 2 figures, that didn't cause a huge sell out status. Most stores around me have a huge amount of stock left, and I've never come across a store that has run out of the game on any platform (except PC of course).

I'm just thinking of all the fads I've seen in the past and comparing (the wrong thing to do I guess).

some places dont sell as good but others do, its always gonna be some places not doing good... but i think the skylanders stuff will be moved around (if its the same shops) from those places to places that sells better... so in the end it dosent matter that much.
#19 Posted: 16:41:07 19/12/2011
Maybe. As I said, UKers pay twice as much as people in the US, so it's slightly more difficult to shift them here. There's never been a store - Online or offline - That has sold out of the actual game. The figures, however, are a different story online...
---
TUMBLR
DEVIANTART
Visit me and stuff.
Jack Green Sparx Gems: 115
#20 Posted: 17:09:21 19/12/2011
Here's an article that might be of some interest to this thread http://www.reuters.com/article...E7AR1YX20111128

I've also read that some stores put out certain Skylanders too early and are being disciplined by giving them the newer ones at later dates?

As far as the topic goes, I think Skylanders actually does very well where I am. Every time I go into Target or Walmart, the shelves are basically empty after a restock only a few days ago. Every time I go into Toys R Us, somebody is either already looking at Skylanders, or starts to look while I'm there.
---
S:SA 9/37 (Green smilie)
S:G 1/62
Looking for smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie, PM me! (:
#21 Posted: 17:11:35 19/12/2011
Quote: Jack
Here's an article that might be of some interest to this thread http://www.reuters.com/article...E7AR1YX20111128

I've also read that some stores put out certain Skylanders too early and are being disciplined by giving them the newer ones at later dates?

As far as the topic goes, I think Skylanders actually does very well where I am. Every time I go into Target or Walmart, the shelves are basically empty after a restock only a few days ago. Every time I go into Toys R Us, somebody is either already looking at Skylanders, or starts to look while I'm there.

i posted about it here...
//forum.darkspyro.net/spyro/viewposts.php?topic=43899
Razz Platinum Sparx Gems: 6094
#22 Posted: 17:31:02 19/12/2011
Pfft, no. Skylanders did so much better in its first two months than Activision thought it would and they didn't have enough toys made. It's one of the most popular holiday gifts for kids this year. What you're seeing now is Activision trying to make sure there's enough toys for everyone. All the stores sold out and they're just now getting new shipments in.
StevemacQ Platinum Sparx Gems: 6533
#23 Posted: 00:32:16 20/12/2011
I doubt the fad is dying, it's just maturing a bit because most got Skylanders for Christmas (like me) or maybe more kids were into Modern Warfare 3 (just throwing it out there)
---
Needz more eh-mo-shuns.
#24 Posted: 00:38:45 20/12/2011 | Topic Creator
Ok, ok, I guess I get it now smilie
---
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me