Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Skylanders Toys and Merchandise > Made me a custom Skylanders case. (UPDATED 12-17-11)
Page 1 of 2 | Last
1 2
Made me a custom Skylanders case. (UPDATED 12-17-11) [CLOSED]
GameMaster78 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3321
#1 Posted: 03:20:01 08/12/2011 | Topic Creator
I went to Walmart tonight, and bought a tackle box made some company called "Plano." This box was big enough to fit the current tallest Skylander, Ignitor (due to his sword sticking up), so it's what I went with. It was only 5.96 for the box, too.

I then managed to fit 21 Skylanders in the box, without them overlapping one another, and I used the name stickers from their sticker sheets. I placed the names in the spots the Skylanders rest in, when put into this box.

I will buy another one of these boxes for the remaining 21, which includes the last 9 to be released, once they release. Since I can fit 21, and I only need 16 spaces, I am going to save 4 of the last 5 for the adventure pack toys. If they don't fit, I will at least put the magical items in there for transport.

Here is my first custom case, complete with character name sticker from their sheets, as well as the Skylanders logo from the starter pack sticker sheet. Enjoy.

http://i15.photobucket.com/alb...01/PC070227.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/alb...01/PC070229.jpg
---
Wii U: GameMaster1178, XBL: GameMaster1178, PSN: megax28
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 18:10:36 17/12/2011 by GameMaster78
Zackeio Yellow Sparx Gems: 1733
#2 Posted: 03:28:21 08/12/2011
You're pretty resourceful aren't ya GameMaster?

Still though, smart idea using another form of carrying case to carry your Skylanders around. Makes you wonder why Toys for Bob or Activision just didn't make a carrying case like that to begin with?
---
Everyday that you wake up . . . is a good day.
My Gallery
spyrathedragon Gold Sparx Gems: 2683
#3 Posted: 03:51:34 08/12/2011
Sweet. smilie
---
Lovatic for life. <3
The Peace Keepers
smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
JAP28 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1097
#4 Posted: 04:05:11 08/12/2011
Nice Job Man....really cool!!! I was looking for that same sort of thing too.
---
All Current Skylanders just no pearl smilie
Seth727 Green Sparx Gems: 185
#5 Posted: 04:42:08 08/12/2011
Thats awesome, i dont understand why everybody wants the tower case, i understand that its meant for holding skylanders but i just use this blue bin i have and they all fit in their and if i ever wanted to take them somewhere i would just put them in one of my MANY backpacks lying around the house.
---
(smiliesmiliesmiliesmilie)(smiliesmiliesmiliesmilie)(smiliesmiliesmilie)(smiliesmiliesmiliesmilie )(smiliesmilie)(smiliesmiliesmiliesmilie)(smiliesmilie)(smiliesmiliesmilie)
#6 Posted: 04:56:14 08/12/2011 | Topic Creator
Quote: Seth727
Thats awesome, i dont understand why everybody wants the tower case, i understand that its meant for holding skylanders but i just use this blue bin i have and they all fit in their and if i ever wanted to take them somewhere i would just put them in one of my MANY backpacks lying around the house.

The tower case doesn't even hold them well. I think it's just for decoration, which is why I bought it.

Remember, anyone wanting to store some Skylanders, can go buy this tackle box in the sporting goods section of Wal-Mart, made by Plano, for 5.96.

I also wondered why 3rd party companies making carrying cases for Skylanders, didn't put more thought into it. They could have come up with some cool ideas.
---
chaosworrier Yellow Sparx Gems: 1555
#7 Posted: 05:25:10 08/12/2011
Wow! I actually originally looked for something like this but could not find it without spending lots. Then I worried about figurines knocking together where there were not enough dividers to separate them (that said, if I could have find one that deep, that cheap, I would have merely bought a spare for the dividers).
---
Soylent Green is People!
Definitive Doom Spreadsheet...of Doom: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7oq1...ers%20List.xlsm
Sunny Castanets Gold Sparx Gems: 2231
#8 Posted: 07:23:10 08/12/2011
Hopefully I can find something like that in the UK. I currently display them on a shelf and then put them in a bag to take to my friend's house, but it would be nice to have a way to transport them that wouldn't bash them together.
---
Quote: Tashiji
Sunny, as always, you are so darn smart.
joseph235 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1089
#9 Posted: 09:52:01 08/12/2011
That is sooo wierd i'm doing the same thing but i'm making something that can contain ALL the skylanders and accessories
I already have the fiber glass just don't know if should use wood or metel and i still don't know exactly how big i need it because they are not all out yet
Can't wait it's gonna look AWSOME to pay 40 bucks for that skylander castle is insane it only fits like 8 skylanders aswell as that case
for 20 no thanks

i will show you all when it's finished

Very smart gamemaster is mmmm yessss
#10 Posted: 14:31:07 08/12/2011 | Topic Creator
Quote: chaosworrier
Wow! I actually originally looked for something like this but could not find it without spending lots. Then I worried about figurines knocking together where there were not enough dividers to separate them (that said, if I could have find one that deep, that cheap, I would have merely bought a spare for the dividers).

Well, if you're in the US, go to Walmart. The dividers caused a problem, so I merely put a few dividers in there. It came with 11 dividers, but it can hold up to 18 dividers to make 22 total spots. However, if all of the dividers were in place, it wouldn't that many Skylanders at all, because only three of the current 27 Skylanders can fit into those tiny square. Believe it or not, I still have three dividers, but had to take them out.

If you look at the second pic, with the box open, you can see characters like Drobot and Whirlwind demand those outer spots, because of how long they, due to their wingspans.

One more case should definately do me fine. However, the biggest Skylander still hasn't released, which I believe to be Sunburn. Looking at his pic on the figure poster that comes with the game, you can tell he may be tall because he's standing on two legs. I may have to improvise my second case to accomodate him.
---
Wim Green Sparx Gems: 307
#11 Posted: 14:51:42 08/12/2011
I have those Plano boxes too (bought 2 two weeks ago) and they work, although Ignitor has to lay sideways and some of the characters aren't a perfect fit as they push against the walls of the box a little. Fine for the short term, but I don't know how the material of the Skylanders will cope with that if stored that way for a couple of years (eventually). It's probably a better type of plastic than the toys of old that would deform and stick together after a few years in storage, but I'm still hesitant to have any sort of pressure on the toys when boxed up.
BIG_Rich Blue Sparx Gems: 613
#12 Posted: 01:35:06 09/12/2011
Could you PLEASE post the exact model that the tackle box is please? I'm trying to order one for my figures but they have so many types of models.
BerryShaker Blue Sparx Gems: 540
#13 Posted: 02:05:00 09/12/2011
Very cool and great way to stay organized! I've looked up wall mount display cases and I think the ones for shot glasses *Might work.
---
smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
RadSpyro Gold Sparx Gems: 2007
#14 Posted: 02:06:24 09/12/2011
That's pretty cool!

I display my Skylanders on a unit, so I don't need a case..... Yet smilie
---
TUMBLR
DEVIANTART
Visit me and stuff.
GaelicWolf Green Sparx Gems: 110
#15 Posted: 17:45:00 09/12/2011
Thank you GameMaster! I saw the tower one that only holds 8, and I have even seen the very 'carpy' cloth case that has thin cardboard seperators. I take it you can't fit the crypt or the pirate ship in yours though?

I was thinking of making a cloth case that will hold all the figures, the Adventure packs & items, as well as the portal. I make puppets with foam so would use that to cushion a little. Figured I could make it like a cloth tower, where the different rings are zipped together. Figured I could put a plastic sleeve on the outside of each compartment to place the characters cards/stickers/barcodes.

It wouldn't be as handy as yours for easy access, but mainly I want some place to put them when company comes over so they don't get in the way.

Will provide pictures once it is complete, however, that might not be until they all come out so I can take dimensions and get it right the first time. Darn OCD!
---
Own: (smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie)(smiliesmilie)(smiliesmiliesmiliesmilie)(smiliesmilie)(smiliesmiliesmiliesmilie)(smiliesmiliesmilie)(smiliesmilie)(smiliesmiliesmilie)
LudoBash Green Sparx Gems: 368
#16 Posted: 21:35:12 09/12/2011
Nice!

Heh, I pile all my skylanders, game, and portal into a small red corduroy Jansport bag. So far, it holds everything. smilie
---
My Skylanders: ALL of S1!
BIG_Rich Blue Sparx Gems: 613
#17 Posted: 23:57:39 09/12/2011
I went to walmart this afternoon and bought this exact case for my Skylanders that I'm getting for Christmas. It is awesome.
GamerDrone Emerald Sparx Gems: 3287
#18 Posted: 00:25:00 10/12/2011
I went to JoAnns and found the Super Satchel Box (9007AB) for my boys' Skylanders. JoAnns only had one and it was damaged. Not a problem, since I was able to get it at Amazon. It's more than the Plano at $12.88, but it is slightly bigger with plenty of spacers. The front spaces are the biggest and the back ones are smaller. But, the smallest ones still have no problem holding the skylanders. Also, it is tall enough where the figures can stand without being mashed when the top is closed.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 00:26:05 10/12/2011 by GamerDrone
#19 Posted: 01:20:28 10/12/2011 | Topic Creator
Quote: BIG_Rich
Could you PLEASE post the exact model that the tackle box is please? I'm trying to order one for my figures but they have so many types of models.

Model 3730 is what it says inside the box.

Check it guys. I went and did something else. I bought smaller boxes that can hold ANY Skylander, even Sunburn (when he releases; tallest imo). Why? One box for each element. Let's say I want to group them together when taking them on the road, or put them into two boxes that are dedicated to the 8 elements, well now I can.

I decorated them with Skylander logos. On the top is the four characters from each element (some character pics are missing because not all have been released), as well as the element on the front of the smaller cases. The elemental stickers come from the tower case, which comes with a set of stickers.

Here is what it looks like thus far. I need 3 more boxes, one for fire element, two to carry 8 total figures, one of each element. I may buy a 4th to keep the adventure pack items in.

[User Posted Image]
[User Posted Image]
[User Posted Image]

I don't have the model number for these, but it says "United Plastics" on the top. They are 2.5 qt, and I got them at Family Dollar, for 1.75 each. I still need 3-4 more, for if I want to travel with less Skylanders.
---
#20 Posted: 20:08:02 16/12/2011 | Topic Creator
An update.

So I have boxes that can hold 4 characters just fine. I bought enough to hold 4 from each element.

I bought two big Plano Tackle Boxes (3730) to transport ALL Skylanders once released.

However, I did it again. I found small containers from Target to hold each Adventure pack and it's items. Check it -

[User Posted Image]
[User Posted Image]
[User Posted Image]
[User Posted Image]
[User Posted Image]

These were the smallest of this brand, which I don't know but you can look for the style based on my boxes, at Target. They were a dollar-something. They fit fine inside without anything being bent or pushed.
---
Jack Green Sparx Gems: 115
#21 Posted: 18:03:31 17/12/2011
Too cool. I've been looking for a way to store my Skylanders but the "official" options just didn't take the cake for me.

Do your largest boxes (the ones for ALL of the Skylanders) store them like your 21-figure box? Or would it be a larger box to hold the smaller boxes?

Again, awesome find! I will definitely be making a trip to Walmart.
---
S:SA 9/37 (Green smilie)
S:G 1/62
Looking for smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie, PM me! (:
#22 Posted: 18:12:03 17/12/2011 | Topic Creator
(UPDATE 12-17-11)

Okay, I have to give mad props to my friend, Scott, for finding these.

I will be posting pics of the ultimate Skylanders casing. When organized right, there are no clearance issues when it comes to storing Skylanders in these cases.

He gets total credit for this, but I am posting pics, since he frequents these forums and Gamefaqs, but hasn't signed up to either... yet (hurry and sign up Scott so you can tell people the things you found out with the Skylanders themselves).

I will edit this post within the hour to show the ultimate Skylanders casing he bought, which I then bought. They can be gotten from Walmart and are used for storing tools, not fishing equipment.

Stay tuned.
---
P1anet Fun Green Sparx Gems: 306
#23 Posted: 19:32:54 17/12/2011
These cases are a MILLION times better than the official ones. They don't cost as much and they hold more Skylanders. Why would anybody buy the Tower aside from having it as a collectors piece?
#24 Posted: 20:11:42 17/12/2011 | Topic Creator
OKAY, TIME TO SHOW EVERYONE THE AWESOMENESS!

My friend showed me these cases last night. They come as a set of 3, for a mere 15 bucks. It can easily fit ALL Skylanders without clearance issues, as you will in my pics. The cool part is, these three cases have handles on the sides that snap together, holding it all together, for safe travel. You can simply unsnap them and it turns into three containers.

It can be bought at Walmart.

[User Posted Image]
[User Posted Image]
[User Posted Image]
[User Posted Image]
[User Posted Image]
[User Posted Image]
[User Posted Image]
[User Posted Image]
[User Posted Image]

All credit goes to my friend for this excellent find. These are the best cases ever.
---
C1nder Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10108
#25 Posted: 21:04:53 17/12/2011
That looks excellent.
Vhraina Green Sparx Gems: 210
#26 Posted: 21:43:49 17/12/2011
how sweet are those! What a great way to store them. WTG Scott
---
No longer an active member of DS. Will no longer be updating pictures. Not worth it.
#27 Posted: 22:54:46 17/12/2011 | Topic Creator
I know, right? The glory of these cases is that the cases snap on to the other cases so you can grab the middle handle and lug it around.

BEST. CASE. EVER!
---
Jack Green Sparx Gems: 115
#28 Posted: 04:24:08 18/12/2011
Quote: GameMaster78
I know, right? The glory of these cases is that the cases snap on to the other cases so you can grab the middle handle and lug it around.

BEST. CASE. EVER!

Just picked up two of these! Such an awesome find, hat is tipped to you and your friend sir!
---
S:SA 9/37 (Green smilie)
S:G 1/62
Looking for smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie, PM me! (:
JAP28 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1097
#29 Posted: 04:59:39 18/12/2011
Great job man!!!!!! The company should take a page from you ....and create an actual Skylanders case like that!
---
All Current Skylanders just no pearl smilie
#30 Posted: 05:57:39 18/12/2011 | Topic Creator
Like I said, all credit should go to my friend for the find. I would have never thought to check automotive or the tools area for cases.
---
ENVSV6 Green Sparx Gems: 317
#31 Posted: 09:36:38 18/12/2011
Cannot beat the automotive industry lol.
kappapopm Ripto Gems: 1186
#32 Posted: 12:26:46 18/12/2011
now we only need a box that will fit the portal, all the adventure packs and the 32+++ figurines....
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 12:27:07 18/12/2011 by kappapopm
GamerDrone Emerald Sparx Gems: 3287
#33 Posted: 12:48:03 25/12/2011
The boys got the adventure packs this morning and they also fit in the Super Satchel Box (9007AB). All the figures stand without being mashed, but the adventure packs have to lay on their side. So, you can fit them all in one carry case. It can be bought at Joanns or online. Multiple boxes don't attach like the ones GameMaster78 found, but it's a case that works if you need an alternative.

[User Posted Image]

[User Posted Image]
Edited 4 times - Last edited at 13:11:55 25/12/2011 by GamerDrone
#34 Posted: 15:44:52 25/12/2011 | Topic Creator
Those are cool as well. Thanks for contributing to the "Skylanders find a storage cause." smilie

I like that there is no clearance issue on those while standing.
---
ladeesiren87 Red Sparx Gems: 11
#35 Posted: 00:00:54 27/12/2011
OH WOW! I was trying to figure out where to store my Skylanders as I refuse to buy those carrying cases. So thanks for the ideas love them!
---
Skylanders I Own: smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie
Skylanders I Want: smilie smilie smilie
Cynder134 Gold Sparx Gems: 2044
#36 Posted: 12:37:35 27/12/2011
I saw one of these pics on Facebook nice thinking
---
Why am I back
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 12:54:47 27/12/2011 by Cynder134
#37 Posted: 14:55:17 27/12/2011 | Topic Creator
If the Facebook pic you saw, was from some handsome looking fella named David, that's me. smilie

Trying to spread the info on these cases to s many people as possible.
---
wonderfrog Red Sparx Gems: 31
#38 Posted: 01:01:31 28/12/2011
Thanks to all of the posters with their ideas. I tried Gamemaster78's original cases from Walmart, the clear fishing ones, but found them to be too small. I then got very excited about his later case, the stanley interlocking ones and got two sets of 3 boxes for my son for xmas. I know Gamemaster78 loves and swears by them, but I found many of the skylanders do not fit nicely in the spaces without the lid or sides of the compartments compressing wings (whirlwind or spyro) or swords (chop chop, ignitor, and vodood...ok its a spear, but you know what I mean).

Wholehearted congratulations go out to Gamerdrone. The super sachel 9007ab fits the skylanders perfectly, with everybody standing up. Each box has 3 top rows for 5 spots, that fit any skylander to date, and 3 bottom slopts that accomomdate the pirate ship and darklight crypt as well as any extra usb cables etc. We are getting 3 of these so each element will have its own row of 5 spaces. This accommodates the 4 primary characters and one legendary. Magic of course needs a sixth slot for dark spyro, but we will just put that next to an element that has no legendary...like fire. These cases are currently on sale at joann's 40% off through January 7 making them $11.99 USD each.

I also wanted to thank GameMaster78 for the great idea of putting the picture stickers on the lids and the name stickers in each character's space. That really helps with organization and vastly improves the professional look of the cases.

Another idea we had was saving the skylanders logo cardboard inserts from the characters and 3 packs. Maybe they can be used for later decorations on the cases.

These beat the heck out of 5 towers at $40 each that would be needed to accommodate all 37 skylanders. $200...no thank you.

Thanks to everybody for the ideas, recommendations and inspirations.
#39 Posted: 01:55:50 28/12/2011 | Topic Creator
Well the later ones I posted, the Stanley ones, don't have any clearance issues, IF you position them how I did. If you look at my Whirlwind and Voodood, they are positioned so the axe on Voodood doesn't bend, nor do the wings on Whirlwind.

Trust me, that was one of my biggest fears, because I like to take care of my things. However, these do just great. However, I can see where the Sachel 9007ab might fit the bill for others. So, roll with it, if that's what your heart tells ya.
---
Eruptorfan84 Red Sparx Gems: 67
#40 Posted: 14:34:37 02/01/2012
where can i buy the stanley ones
RD74 Red Sparx Gems: 40
#41 Posted: 20:43:57 02/01/2012
Those Stanley case's (under a diff brand name in the UK) are £20 in each in B & Q.
zap18 Gold Sparx Gems: 2521
#42 Posted: 20:19:30 03/01/2012
I have the tower case. It is pretty small considering it only fits 8 out of my 20 skylanders (Not counting magic items) It breaks open pretty quick if you are not careful but it is fun for putting the portal on top and taking a few to a freinds house
---
Salsa is best monkey
Amiibos or skylanders? Not sure this time around
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 20:20:33 03/01/2012 by zap18
Monsinour Blue Sparx Gems: 972
#43 Posted: 00:57:25 04/01/2012
Did anyone post the price of the stanley cases? I cant seem to find it.
---
My kids own :
useless pieces of plastic
Not only that, we passed up 3 of them that we didn't have today. Uselesd carp...
spyroflame0487 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3866
#44 Posted: 01:01:39 04/01/2012
So, that triple one is in automotive, right? I'd definitely like to pick those up. And the other one is in Sporting Goods, and the ones with the green handles- Are they in Sporting goods too or just buy Target's regular storage items?
---
Why did Uncle Peter have an interdimentional portal in his attic?
Spyro's entire collection! [Updated June 28th 15]
#45 Posted: 06:03:31 04/01/2012
I might have to shop around for the Stanley-type cases, in that case. RD74, what brand were they under in B&Q? I can try looking online for a cheaper alternative that way.
---
Hammer Hazle Green Sparx Gems: 102
#46 Posted: 12:40:07 04/01/2012
If you are in the Uk you can get these Stanley boxes in Homebase for half price at the moment, £9.99.
Link: http://www.homebase.co.uk/weba...rtNumber=265481

They are even bigger than the other Stanley boxes that GameMaster78 has, as you can store all of your Skylanders upright. I bought two for my girls at the weekend, and they have been perfect. I will take some pictures when I get home from work and try to post them later.
#47 Posted: 18:47:38 04/01/2012
Oh, nice find, Hammer Hazle! I may have to look into these!
---
Tigorus Emerald Sparx Gems: 3589
#48 Posted: 19:29:05 04/01/2012
I picked up 3 of the Stanley cases myself at my local Walmart for $8 a piece. They work great and the best part is the fact that they snap together for easy storage as well as keeping them all together.
Monsinour Blue Sparx Gems: 972
#49 Posted: 19:32:44 04/01/2012
Ok, so the stanley cases are $8 and we need 3 of them to hold all the figures? There are what, 32 normal figures and 4 legendary for a total of 36? I thought I read that there was 37. Is that dark spyro coming in for #37?

Edit : my awesome wife picked up the stanley cases and I just got done stickerizing them. Question, where / how did everyone put the boat from the pirate adventure set?
---
My kids own :
useless pieces of plastic
Not only that, we passed up 3 of them that we didn't have today. Uselesd carp...
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 04:02:18 05/01/2012 by Monsinour
MrWrecker Red Sparx Gems: 63
#50 Posted: 00:18:32 09/01/2012
Thanks GameMaster and props to your friend! Picked up the Stanley cases from Walmart and the figures fit great! Not only that but it looks cool too. My son and I had a fun time labeling the case with the stickers as your photos showed. I'm new to posting but have been reading the forum for a couple days, just want to say thank you to all the people on here that have contributed some very useful info!
---
Ours=[smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie] [smiliesmiliesmiliesmilie] [smiliesmiliesmilie] [smiliesmilie] [smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie] [smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie] [smiliesmilie] [smiliesmilie]
Page 1 of 2 | Last
1 2

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me