Page 1 of 1
Most disappointing character thus far? [CLOSED]
YaggleberryFinn Green Sparx Gems: 284
#1 Posted: 18:28:30 14/11/2011 | Topic Creator
I searched and didn't find this topic, sorry if it exists already and I missed it.

Since this game is so new and information is fairly scarce, I find myself only "hoping" that whatever character I'm about to buy will be good. As the kids and I have played, we're moving towards the "gotta catch 'em all" stage, but I'm still curious which ones have been underwhelming so far? Let us know what path you've chosen as well, since that might end up being the lesser path to take.

For us it's Gill Grunt, hands down. I don't feel too bad about this, since we didn't choose to buy him. We went with the harpoon upgrade path. I'm not sure what the point of his water cannon attack is... I don't think it even deals damage. The jet pack "flying" ability is decent, since it allows him to strafe or get out of a jam quickly, but basically he's reduced to one attack - just long range shooting. And others do that much better.
---
Check out my new blog: Skylanders Armory!
Littlerain Green Sparx Gems: 384
#2 Posted: 19:21:59 14/11/2011
I have almost all of the characters out and I have to say I have been fairly impressed with most of them. If I had to pick any that I don't like using I would go with gill grunt though, for the exact same reasons.
Archae Emerald Sparx Gems: 4182
#3 Posted: 20:11:54 14/11/2011
I have to say Gill Grunt, also.

Basically he's cannon fodder and Leviathan's fish food.
---
Gunter glieben glauten globen...
TheWereCat Yellow Sparx Gems: 1000
#4 Posted: 20:16:34 14/11/2011
Three Gill Grunts as 'most dissapointing character'?

It's decided- I'm buying Zap smilie Oh, Acti, why you have such good marketing strategies?
---
"It's time to call in the big guns."
Own:smilie smilie smilie smilie
BerryShaker Blue Sparx Gems: 540
#5 Posted: 20:35:46 14/11/2011
For me Bash holds no appeal, I haven't really given him a chance, but he's just such an ugly brute! lol. I only own the legendary version of him... I couldn't justify getting the regular version since I never play him...
---
smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
SteveW Blue Sparx Gems: 964
#6 Posted: 21:02:31 14/11/2011
Gill Grunt is one of my favorites, I'd say Wrecking Ball is one of my least favorites.
LevanJess Emerald Sparx Gems: 3516
#7 Posted: 21:27:06 14/11/2011
Bash is one of my strongest.

I think Gill Grunt is my least as well, but I love all my Skylanders anyway.
---
but i love it all smooth
exosquad Gold Sparx Gems: 2667
#8 Posted: 21:53:08 14/11/2011
Stealth Elf is just awful. looks cool(her blades glow in the dark), but i hate her/its attacks
---
I am going to have 1 of everything. someday...
Prysom Ripto Gems: 131
#9 Posted: 22:25:51 14/11/2011
Spyro, merely for the clones.
Cuzzberry Gold Sparx Gems: 2081
#10 Posted: 22:51:11 14/11/2011
Oh gosh, Gill Grunt is definitely the least favorite of the ones that I own. The ones that LOOK the most disappointing have to be Zook and Drill Sergeant. I just don't like Drill Sergeant's design whatsoever, I can't imagine any little kid wanting him.

"Yes mommy, I want the pile of cans Skylander for Christmas!"

Sorry if any of you like him, I just had to make a joke. smilie
---
Wow... It's been awhile!smilie
Kariana Emerald Sparx Gems: 3057
#11 Posted: 22:58:58 14/11/2011
Quote: Cuzzberry
Oh gosh, Gill Grunt is definitely the least favorite of the ones that I own. The ones that LOOK the most disappointing have to be Zook and Drill Sergeant. I just don't like Drill Sergeant's design whatsoever, I can't imagine any little kid wanting him.

"Yes mommy, I want the pile of cans Skylander for Christmas!"

Sorry if any of you like him, I just had to make a joke. smilie

I was thinking the same exact thing, Zook and Drill Sergeant are my least favorite too.
---
KrazyKari.deviantart.com
#12 Posted: 23:02:20 14/11/2011
Just because they're ugly, though, doesn't mean their gameplay'll suck.

I know none of you implied that, just saying.
---
but i love it all smooth
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 23:02:29 14/11/2011 by LevanJess
Cyndark Blue Sparx Gems: 612
#13 Posted: 23:03:36 14/11/2011
I havent got all of them but Gill Grunt is useless however when Trigger and Spyro died he managed to save the day!He's still pretty slow and make weird sounds (although I like his laugh when he's falling smilie )
I dont really like Wrecking ball his attacks....Er they dont look really usefull and pretty slow Although he would be fun just to play as becasue I kinda like him regardless (:
Archae Emerald Sparx Gems: 4182
#14 Posted: 23:18:15 14/11/2011
My biggest disappointment in voices is Trigger Happy.

That constant "Mine! Mine! MIne!" drives me crazy after a short time.
---
Gunter glieben glauten globen...
Dragonhope Gold Sparx Gems: 2992
#15 Posted: 23:50:18 14/11/2011
Probably Bash, I don't know why but his tail attack for me is underwhelming since it isn't even quite that continuous, plus his roll attack is kind of hard for me to aim at enemies. But hey, he's quite strong, I'll give him that.

I agree on Gill Grunt. He is the most disappointing for me, as I used the Water Cannon path. Even with unlimited water and a better range he can't seem to deal that much of damage. Plus, his harpoons can easily be reflected by Air Punks so there you go.
---
Gaccha! Tanoshii dyueru dattaze!
[smilie][smiliesmilie][smiliesmilie][smiliesmilie][smiliesmilie]
CAV Platinum Sparx Gems: 6253
#16 Posted: 00:00:59 15/11/2011
Gill Grunt.

Also, Sonic Boom's babies are also very disappointing, since they don't do anything, even when upgraded.
Jackson117 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3875
#17 Posted: 00:11:46 15/11/2011
Gill Grunt if upgraded his cannon can deal a massive load of damage combined with the jetpack.
RadSpyro Gold Sparx Gems: 2007
#18 Posted: 00:32:42 15/11/2011
Gill Grunt for me. Though I do still love him, he always goes down so fast.
---
TUMBLR
DEVIANTART
Visit me and stuff.
Psykostevo Red Sparx Gems: 66
#19 Posted: 04:18:50 15/11/2011
Whirlwind for me......lame-o
Quikwix Green Sparx Gems: 134
#20 Posted: 04:55:40 15/11/2011
I like Gil Grunt smilie

For me out of the ones I own I am not impressed with Drill Sargent. Other characters do everything better (Took the improved drill missile upgrade path thing)

Then Whirlwinds gameplay was disapointing to. I so wanted her to be amazing but it takes to much time for not much profit to set up storm clouds just to bounce rainbows off them OR if you want to use the stormclouds just for damage then the rainbows go and "use" them up. Her being able to heal might be good for 2 player mode, but solo she is just does not do enough (I took the improved rainbow tree, but I think the stormcloud one might be better)

Ghost Roaster was close to being on the list due to lack of range and being a 1 trick pony but I <3 him to much.
Dragons-go-hrr Platinum Sparx Gems: 6991
#21 Posted: 05:22:24 15/11/2011
Out of the ones I have, Gillgrunt. He's so slow! He just dies all the time.

The main disapointment with figures tho, is the amount that just DON'T WORK. I've heard SO many people having problems with Skylanders, even I got a stuffed up one, and it's been like a month and the replacement STILL hasn't arrived! If it was just one or 2 that didn't work it'd be fine, but it's NOT.
---
"Was it a hot ghost?"
chaosworrier Yellow Sparx Gems: 1555
#22 Posted: 05:49:12 15/11/2011
Quote: Dragons-go-hrr
The main disapointment with figures tho, is the amount that just DON'T WORK. I've heard SO many people having problems with Skylanders, even I got a stuffed up one, and it's been like a month and the replacement STILL hasn't arrived! If it was just one or 2 that didn't work it'd be fine, but it's NOT.

Wow, including expansion pack goodies and the 2 figurines I am selling with the 3DS version, I have 29 figurines and they all work. Unlucky, my friend, and I feel for you...
---
Soylent Green is People!
Definitive Doom Spreadsheet...of Doom: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7oq1...ers%20List.xlsm
Dragonhope Gold Sparx Gems: 2992
#23 Posted: 05:54:21 15/11/2011
Quote: Dragons-go-hrr
Out of the ones I have, Gillgrunt. He's so slow! He just dies all the time.

Like I said before, the problem lies within the Portal itself. It may have 'stressed' the figure's memory chip too much. I think you had the PC version, correct? Then there you go. I heard the PC's Portal is not that good to begin with.

On topic: I take back what I said about Bash. He's pretty strong when you think about it. I'm still disappointed in Gill Grunt, though.
---
Gaccha! Tanoshii dyueru dattaze!
[smilie][smiliesmilie][smiliesmilie][smiliesmilie][smiliesmilie]
#24 Posted: 06:04:03 15/11/2011
The consensus seems to be no love for poor ol' Gill?

Just think Beyonce: "Who runs the world? Gill. Who runs the world? Gill."

But seriously, I have kicked some serious butt with him?
---
Soylent Green is People!
Definitive Doom Spreadsheet...of Doom: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7oq1...ers%20List.xlsm
#25 Posted: 11:57:17 15/11/2011
I love Gill Grunt, when you upgrade him he does do some pretty good damage with the harpoons.

It's just that his water attack barely does any damage for me, and sometimes he dies easily.
Although I can thank him for being the last one to defeat Kaos at the end.
---
but i love it all smooth
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10010
#26 Posted: 16:46:52 15/11/2011
Even though I'm still trying to survive only with the Starter Pack,none of the three ever left me alone when I needed it.Spyro is a killing machine,Gill Grunt is awesome against ambushes and puzzles, and Trigger can make trolls sweep the floor with his ranged attacks.

However,Trigger Happy still is the worst for me.Yes,he was the only one left standing in the Leviathan Lagoon after the boss battle and I soloed Falling Forest with him, but he goes down so quickly.and his secondary attack makes things worse,because it's his only short-range attack and it's so slow.

Where's the love for Gill Grunt,guys? D: I took the powerhose upgrade path(okay,I did that so I can get the achievement once I get to Lava Lakes Railway),but yet he can take everything down with a normal harpoon, and dodges a lot of stuff with his 'flying' ability.The first boss pretty much turned him inside out in Leviathan Lagoon,but against many enemies at the same time Gill is really good.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
forcesofwill Yellow Sparx Gems: 1476
#27 Posted: 18:56:48 15/11/2011
I like Gill Grunt too. The Power Hose attack is really useful for clearing out a horde of little swarming enemies so you can focus on harpooning the big ones. And his jetpack helps make up for his lousy foot speed.

I think the worst figure is Drill Sergeant. He just has nothing going for him. His damage is incredibly low and the rate of fire for his drill rockets is way slower than it needs to be. Yeah they give him that silly autocannon weapon later, but at 2 damage a hit, what is the point?? If the Armor stat actually reduced damage like you would expect then he might have a role as a tank character, but instead, he's basically irredeemable.
TheWereCat Yellow Sparx Gems: 1000
#28 Posted: 20:26:51 15/11/2011
So Drill Sergeant has both terrible gameplay and visual appeal? Wow.
---
"It's time to call in the big guns."
Own:smilie smilie smilie smilie
Slivers Yellow Sparx Gems: 1387
#29 Posted: 02:54:58 16/11/2011
Stealth Elf with Blades is nearly OP.
Trigger Happy w/ Machine Gun unlimited ammo and Lazer of Doom which fires through walls is definitely OP.
#30 Posted: 03:24:22 16/11/2011
Quote: forcesofwill
Yeah they give him that silly autocannon weapon later, but at 2 damage a hit, what is the point??

Someone else mentioned that you can use the autocannon at the same time so it is a constant bonus hit whilst you use DS's other "talents".
---
Soylent Green is People!
Littlerain Green Sparx Gems: 384
#31 Posted: 04:01:38 16/11/2011
Quote: Slivers
Stealth Elf with Blades is nearly OP.
Trigger Happy w/ Machine Gun unlimited ammo and Lazer of Doom which fires through walls is definitely OP.

I actually feel like all fully upgraded characters feel overpowered. The ones that dont are the ones we say are not good (such as gill). While I complain about him, I'm sure I could beat most enemies easily if I did all his heroic challenges like I did with my main skylanders.
Phoenixdragon Blue Sparx Gems: 523
#32 Posted: 20:32:26 18/11/2011
I would go for Bash. His look is not the reason, but his attacks. He is too slow and "needs a break" very fast
---
smilie Sunburn - "Roast N' Toast!" smilie

My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Phoenixdrag0n
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me