darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure > Gamestop and Wal-Mart trying to make this unnoticeable?
Page 1 of 2 | Last
1 2
Gamestop and Wal-Mart trying to make this unnoticeable? [CLOSED]
SuperMegaBoss10 Green Sparx Gems: 461
#1 Posted: 02:52:45 11/11/2011 | Topic Creator
In my Gamestop, I went to get a figure the day it came out. I couldn't afford the game, but really wanted Drobot. I walked up and there were already mw3 posters in the windows. I asked about Skylanders and the looked at me weird (probably because im 13) asked if I wanted to pre-order mw3 or bly Black Ops, I told them I hated call of duty (wich earned me another strange look) and then pointed to two three packs in a corner (along with a copy of the game). Later I went to Wal-Mart and got Drobot. They also looked at me funny and they had one of each figure. I think that they don't want people to buy this (or just arn't expecting people to buy it).
---
Like A Boss!
Dragonhope Gold Sparx Gems: 2992
#2 Posted: 03:00:29 11/11/2011
Don't have a Wal-Mart next to me smilie

GameStop, however, didn't put any effort with Skylanders. On release, they just put out the box containing the game near the counter. Even after release, you would most likely find Skylanders on a Target store than on GameStop, since they still kept the copies in their storage. At least the employees actually know what Skylanders is, since they had a nice lil row of them in the Wii section. At least one of them insulted Boomer's appearance smilie

But I do agree. Not just them; my Best Buy had all of the Skylanders waaaaaaay at the back with a nice little demo and the figures still on, untouched. At least Target made an effort and put out large signs with Whirlwind on them and pointing out the demo :/
---
Gaccha! Tanoshii dyueru dattaze!
[smilie][smiliesmilie][smiliesmilie][smiliesmilie][smiliesmilie]
CynderFan1309 Gold Sparx Gems: 2235
#3 Posted: 03:03:37 11/11/2011
Huh, that's weird... That didn't happen to me.

Don't have to read the rest of the post if you don't want.

I went to Wal Mart the 3rd, 4th, something along those lines day and asked for the toys. They didn't have any of them. The guy who helped us was fine with it.

I went to Best Buy to get a majority of the ones I have now, I didn't get any weird looks, just a little embarrassed (felt better when I was paying with my own money).

Went to GameStop and asked for toys, got 3 of them, and the receptionist just said that she heard Skylanders was great.

Then went to Target to get Sonic Boom, the receptionist merely asked if that was all I wanted.
IsisStormDragon Platinum Sparx Gems: 7127
#4 Posted: 03:08:37 11/11/2011
Funny, my GameStop has an area with a bunch of toys, and when I picked up the game, the manager/employee (not sure) smiled, and pointed out the area to me. And smiled again when I declared that I found two figures I wanted.

Guess it depends on the GameStop.
LevanJess Emerald Sparx Gems: 3516
#5 Posted: 03:11:35 11/11/2011
My GameStop didn't have many of them. Then again, it was a rather unpopular GameStop, I haven't been to the big one yet.

The employee merely said they didn't have any singles and said Skylanders was a wonderful game.
---
but i love it all smooth
spyrathedragon Gold Sparx Gems: 2683
#6 Posted: 03:15:53 11/11/2011
Heh. When I went to my GameStop in my local mall (Got Drobot there.) and the one down a few blocks (Got Sonic Boom there.), they smiled and asked me if I liked the game. I said yes, of course.

At my BestBuy, the guy said that he heard the game was pretty sweet and that he was a gamer, and told my mom a little more about it. That's where I got Bash

At Frys, the guy was neutral and just got the job done (he also had to bag a coffee maker my mom got to replace the old, broken one.). That's where I got Stealth Elf. Same with Chop Chop, too.

Needless to say, I don't feel embarassed at all. Right when my mom and I go into GameStop anymore, I walk right over to the counter where the Skylanders are and pick who I want.
---
Lovatic for life. <3
The Peace Keepers
smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
#7 Posted: 03:16:06 11/11/2011 | Topic Creator
All of the Gamestop people hate me. I rode my bike there in the summer every day that I got bored, looking for platformers. They didn't know what a platformer was. And I swear that they think that I like Cod. And they don't sell games for original Xbox. I can tell just by who is there on the day I go if I will get my game or not. So yeah I live in a small town Butte Montana! But back on the Skylanders topic, everybody is a douche about it. I swear my family is the only one in town that has heard of it.
---
Like A Boss!
#8 Posted: 03:23:37 11/11/2011
Quote: SuperMegaBoss10
All of the Gamestop people hate me. I rode my bike there in the summer every day that I got bored, looking for platformers. They didn't know what a platformer was. And I swear that they think that I like Cod. And they don't sell games for original Xbox. I can tell just by who is there on the day I go if I will get my game or not. So yeah I live in a small town Butte Montana! But back on the Skylanders topic, everybody is a douche about it. I swear my family is the only one in town that has heard of it.

Damn, that sucks. A few people at my school have asked me already if I've heard of it, since I'm a fan of Spyro, and I say "well durh". I even have a sticker on my binder. smilie
---
Lovatic for life. <3
The Peace Keepers
smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
#9 Posted: 03:32:13 11/11/2011 | Topic Creator
Yeah, the only "cool" game is COD and that is only for the popular kids. Video games are just unpopular in general.
---
Like A Boss!
#10 Posted: 03:34:17 11/11/2011
Lucky about the sticker. :c

I don't want people to know I like Skylanders, because the kids in my school either don't know Spyro or if I mention I like it, they'll be brats about it and say "ITS SOOOO CHILDISH LOLOLOL PLAY SOME CALL OF DUTY" or I bet if I mention LoS, the boys (if they know) would be like "I'D TAP CYNDER".

No one knows I even like Spyro.
---
but i love it all smooth
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 03:34:44 11/11/2011 by LevanJess
#11 Posted: 03:38:54 11/11/2011
Yeah, the only "cool" game is COD and that is only for the popular kids. Video games are just unpopular in general.

Same. :c

Quote: LevanJess
Lucky about the sticker. :c

I don't want people to know I like Skylanders, because the kids in my school either don't know Spyro or if I mention I like it, they'll be brats about it and say "ITS SOOOO CHILDISH LOLOLOL PLAY SOME CALL OF DUTY" or I bet if I mention LoS, the boys (if they know) would be like "I'D TAP CYNDER".

No one knows I even like Spyro.

Same here.
---
Lovatic for life. <3
The Peace Keepers
#12 Posted: 04:36:43 11/11/2011 | Topic Creator
My friends know all about Crash and Spyro. They are the only ones (and geuss who they learned about them from?)
---
Like A Boss!
CAV Platinum Sparx Gems: 6253
#13 Posted: 05:28:39 11/11/2011
I asked if I wanted to pre-order mw3 or bly Black Ops

He asked a 13 year old to pre-order a game that specifically made for people 17+.

He's not suppose to do that..................but that guy is awesome anyway.
#14 Posted: 05:33:12 11/11/2011 | Topic Creator
^ How is he awesome?
---
Like A Boss!
#15 Posted: 05:45:07 11/11/2011
He allows you to buy a rated M game.

This is good for me, since my father hates going into Gamestop, so I can't get rated M games.
Archae Emerald Sparx Gems: 4182
#16 Posted: 05:50:34 11/11/2011
My local Gamestop has Skylanders right in the middle of the store, in a stand-alone display with videos of the characters.

I bought my game there, and the guy offered me a whole box of the different characters.

Shopko has a entire display area in the videogame section.
---
Gunter glieben glauten globen...
#17 Posted: 05:51:39 11/11/2011 | Topic Creator
^ I understand what you are saying now. I thought you meant Call of Duty specifically.
---
Like A Boss!
Reimu Yellow Sparx Gems: 1076
#18 Posted: 11:49:07 11/11/2011
I don't know why people should be douching Spyro for CoD. CoD is rated Mature, Skylanders is for kids.

So if a 13 years old guy doesn't buy CoD I find it pretty NORMAL.

Each time I was buying a Spyro figure here or something related to Spyro, I had a good service. Well, they seem to think it's for my kid or a nephew. And it's funny how each time they try to explain me the game =) I don't care, I like it.
#19 Posted: 11:59:47 11/11/2011
Quote: Spyrobaro
People in school say to me whenever I mention Spyro, "You STILL play Spyro? Grow up, Skylar".
My best-friend-in-the-entire-world smiles whenever I mention Spyro.
Anyway, back onto the Skylanders topic: At first, it wasn't popular at GameStop (I was the first person to pre-order it, the day before it came out) and now, weeks later, they have lots of Skylanders (which are always sold out) and smile when they see someone/child pick a toy/ the game itself up.

Pfft, that sucks. :l I don't see why older kids can't enjoy childish things.
My best friend doesn't know about Spyro. xP
---
but i love it all smooth
chaosworrier Yellow Sparx Gems: 1555
#20 Posted: 12:15:43 11/11/2011
The best thing about having children is that you get to enjoy "kids" things again, guilt free.
---
Soylent Green is People!
Definitive Doom Spreadsheet...of Doom: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7oq1...ers%20List.xlsm
#21 Posted: 14:56:37 11/11/2011 | Topic Creator
Well most kids my age only play cod.
---
Like A Boss!
TheWereCat Yellow Sparx Gems: 1000
#22 Posted: 16:57:14 11/11/2011
Whenever I go into GAME, the staff are so chuffed to have a girl in there that they just grin and keep asking if I need help, haha. Wish I could say the same about ponies :/
---
"It's time to call in the big guns."
Own:smilie smilie smilie smilie
sonicbrawler182 Platinum Sparx Gems: 7098
#23 Posted: 17:04:55 11/11/2011
I've gotten weird looks when trying to pre-order the Sonic Generations CE in local shops, probably because they didn't know a CE existed for the game. Then again, they looked more like looks of general confusion, more so than funny looks directed towards me.

And one day, when LightSpeed95 was getting his PSP, he was getting Dissidia: Final Fantasy for it, and some random guy tells him it's a **** game, and not to get it. Good thing I was with him (then again, that wouldn't of made a difference)! smilie
---
"My memories will be part of the sky."
LyraDragon Yellow Sparx Gems: 1283
#24 Posted: 19:09:37 11/11/2011
wow. you guys have some douchebag workers at game stores.
---
Team Drago
smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
wanted:smilie
StevemacQ Platinum Sparx Gems: 6533
#25 Posted: 22:13:44 11/11/2011
This is why I hate Call of Duty. Activision is going out of harm's way to try and make the entire gaming industry all about Call of Duty and forget about every other video game like Legend of Zelda, Mario and Elder Scrolls. They even goes as far as stomping on their own franchises like Skylanders just to put Call of Duty into the spotlight even longer than it should.

The Call of Duty games are good games with Modern Wafare being the best but these game are not changing the way we play video games like Doom, Street Fighter II, Super Mario 64, Goldeneye, Final Fantasy VII, Devil May Cry, Grand Theft Auto III.

These post-CoD4 games are offering nothing substantial. I just hope the Gamestops I go to aren't going to be MW3 slaves.
---
Needz more eh-mo-shuns.
Prysom Ripto Gems: 131
#26 Posted: 22:16:28 11/11/2011
My assumption would be that it's about the math. Numerous factors define what please certain age demographics, and often the factors fall into a category that is specifically designed for those desiring something of a sanguine nature and stereotypical testosterone-heavy materia (Such as melee weapons and firearms), as well as a more expansive (Size wise, not in terms of utility always) multiplayer system and biofeedback, which is usually far greater in games with specific effects.

Often, a lack of magnetism to FPS games and the like is often either considered aberrative psychology or a deficiency in certain hormones, most of which would be indicative of an asexual person with rudimentary puerile cognitive order and a penchant for materia of a much lower age group. In either case, it leads to strange looks from the passersby, but whereas the first is usually not curable but bearable, the second (Like it or not) is a sign that immediate medical intervention is required to stabilize hormone levels. The bad side effects of prolonged refusal to treatment are often infertility and stunted growth, most often.

That's simply the statistical, psychological, biological, and medical answering to the presumably rhetorical question proposed by the OP.
#27 Posted: 22:17:59 11/11/2011
Quote: StevemacQ
This is why I hate Call of Duty. Activision is going out of harm's way to try and make the entire gaming industry all about Call of Duty and forget about every other video game like Legend of Zelda, Mario and Elder Scrolls. They even goes as far as stomping on their own franchises like Skylanders just to put Call of Duty into the spotlight even longer than it should.

The Call of Duty games are good games with Modern Wafare being the best but these game are not changing the way we play video games like Doom, Street Fighter II, Super Mario 64, Goldeneye, Final Fantasy VII, Devil May Cry, Grand Theft Auto III.

These post-CoD4 games are offering nothing substantial. I just hope the Gamestops I go to aren't going to be MW3 slaves.

LOL why they should bother about other games, other producers? It's a business, it's competitive, not wonderland where everyone is friendly.

PS: Goldeneye is an Activision game too by now.
#28 Posted: 22:28:13 11/11/2011
Quote: Reimu

LOL why they should bother about other games, other producers? It's a business, it's competitive, not wonderland where everyone is friendly.

*childhood falls out 10 story window*

NO! Childhood, COME BACK!
#29 Posted: 22:29:08 11/11/2011
The game is pretty much the same don't worry, it's a port.
#30 Posted: 22:38:32 11/11/2011
@Steve I walked into Gamestop yesterday. One ad for MW3. Several ads for Skyrim, Zelda, and Mario 3D Land. I don't know where you live, but your Gamestops must be a tad ****ed up.

Then again, what do I know? I'm an idiot that plays CoD.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 22:38:55 11/11/2011 by CAV
#31 Posted: 23:40:50 11/11/2011

I'm talking about the original Goldeneye on the N64 that redefined the way we play our FPS games along with Half-Life. Call of Duty adds nothing new and the Wii remake is just a shot-for-shot remake but it didn't get any attention like it used to.
---
Needz more eh-mo-shuns.
RadSpyro Gold Sparx Gems: 2007
#32 Posted: 23:48:15 11/11/2011
Quote: CAV
@Steve I walked into Gamestop yesterday. One ad for MW3. Several ads for Skyrim, Zelda, and Mario 3D Land. I don't know where you live, but your Gamestops must be a tad ****ed up.

Then again, what do I know? I'm an idiot that plays CoD.

Lucky - Over in the UK, my local GAME store has this massive MW3 cardboard standee right in the middle of the store, loads of merch line ups next to it, masses of the game (dummy boxes possibly) shoved right behind the counter..... And one tiny ad for Mario 3D and Zelda at the front (and I mean TINY) >:/

Oh, and nothing for Skyrim. Just the boxes on the pre-order section.
---
TUMBLR
DEVIANTART
Visit me and stuff.
#33 Posted: 02:44:33 12/11/2011
^My Gamestop had something similar to that.

But once we got really freakin close to the release of Skyrim, they pushed it aside in favor of that and its midnight release. I assume Zelda will get the same treatment as we get closer to its release.

I'm talking about the original Goldeneye on the N64 that redefined the way we play our FPS games along with Half-Life. Call of Duty adds nothing new and the Wii remake is just a shot-for-shot remake but it didn't get any attention like it used to.

Really?

It's nothing big (especially for someone that doesn't play FPS games on a normal basis), but it's still something that was somewhat new.

But you probably don't give 2 ****s about any of that anyway.

Oh, and inb4 "IGNorance".
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 02:45:16 12/11/2011 by CAV
spyrocynderfan7 Ripto Gems: 783
#34 Posted: 04:32:36 12/11/2011
18 years old, go to Walmart over in Champaigne, IL.

Go to buy Halo 3 and WaW.
I need an ID

Don't have one (don't drive)
Friend buys, I pay him back.

When I go to buy SSA (from a Walmart in the ghettos as a scrawny caucasian kid)
I need to use my siblings as an excuse to purchase the game...

In short, I'm ****ed.
But for Skylanders...it's (sorta) worth it.
Psykostevo Red Sparx Gems: 66
#35 Posted: 06:46:30 12/11/2011
Some walmarts near me don't even carry the game. Had to call all over the city to get drill sergeant.
TheSpyrofan12 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3172
#36 Posted: 10:46:28 12/11/2011
Well most kids my age only play cod.

Ditto.
I'm in year 9 at school (I'm 14) and practically all boys in my year play COD.
They call me weird for not liking it.

Also, Quote: SuperMegaBoss10
In my Gamestop, I went to get a figure the day it came out. I couldn't afford the game, but really wanted Drobot. I walked up and there were already mw3 posters in the windows. I asked about Skylanders and the looked at me weird (probably because im 13) asked if I wanted to pre-order mw3 or bly Black Ops, I told them I hated call of duty (wich earned me another strange look) and then pointed to two three packs in a corner (along with a copy of the game). Later I went to Wal-Mart and got Drobot. They also looked at me funny and they had one of each figure. I think that they don't want people to buy this (or just arn't expecting people to buy it).

I didn't get any weird looks when I went to Toys 'R' Us and bought 5 single characters and the 2 adventure packs.
---
Bring the Fanta
#37 Posted: 11:48:31 12/11/2011

But once we got really freakin close to the release of Skyrim, they pushed it aside in favor of that and its midnight release. I assume Zelda will get the same treatment as we get closer to its release.

Really?

It's nothing big (especially for someone that doesn't play FPS games on a normal basis), but it's still something that was somewhat new.

Because there's nothing more revolutionary than health regeneration and being forced to only two weapons and run through a linear pathway for six hours(!) Believe me, I've played Modern Warfare 2 and Black Ops and the altter is just down-right depressing with one of the worst main menus I've ever seen in a game. I saw your source and I stand by what I said.
---
Needz more eh-mo-shuns.
#38 Posted: 13:14:50 12/11/2011
^Funny. I played both games, and liked both of them. I personally prefered Black Ops for it's more balanced multiplayer, which included no game-ending killstreaks like MW2's tactical nuke. I also liked it's higher difficulty compared to MW2, and less overpowered weapons (though some still exist).

Also, Halo had these same problems you're complaining about. But didn't you praise it once?
#39 Posted: 20:04:25 12/11/2011
I'm just back and it turns out ones of the Gamestops I go to isn't all about Modern Warfare 3 but Skylanders cost 60 euro on Wii and a whopping 70 euro on PS3 and Xbox 360 but there was also an electronic store that was selling the game for 56.99 (or least I think that's the price) on all three console formats.
---
Needz more eh-mo-shuns.
#40 Posted: 23:22:01 12/11/2011

Really?

Because there's nothing more revolutionary than health regeneration and being forced to only two weapons and run through a linear pathway for six hours(!) Believe me, I've played Modern Warfare 2 and Black Ops and the altter is just down-right depressing with one of the worst main menus I've ever seen in a game. I saw your source and I stand by what I said.

Call of Duty redefined the gameplay of FPS. The proof is that now, each damn shooter has the same controls and gameplay than CoD (which I hate a bit though...)
#41 Posted: 00:09:07 13/11/2011

Really?

Call of Duty redefined the gameplay of FPS. The proof is that now, each damn shooter has the same controls and gameplay than CoD (which I hate a bit though...)

You clearly never heard of Doom. Sadly because of Modern Warfare, military FPS games over-saturate the market with games desperate to have shocker value on a crap campaign (Homefront) or already existing ones throwing away their own identity to try and rip off Call of Duty and claim to be better (Medal of Honour, Battlefield 3). Why can't people pay attention to better genres like action-adventure games, hack'n'slash games, platformers, fighting games and RPGs? (I'm talking about RPGs in general like Elder Scrolls and Mass Effect, not just JRPGs) How about a first person non-shooter like Portal?
---
Needz more eh-mo-shuns.
#42 Posted: 00:16:37 13/11/2011
And why are you assuming that a CoD player is not playing other games as well? I play CoD, but I play a lot of other games too. Come on...
spyrocynderfan7 Ripto Gems: 783
#43 Posted: 10:28:42 13/11/2011
In all reality,
First sights of ...... In games:

Wield two weapons only: Call of Duty 1 (1999 I believe)

Regenerating health: Kill.Switch (2000)

Halo: Combat Evolved (2001) carried these on.
Halo has nothing to do with this. The crap began long before Halo.
What it introduced was a new style of gameplay. Space FPS, which were, although existent, were hardly known until Halo. Though the earliest record I can find of space FPS is MDK (1997) which alternated between First and Third Person.

MDK and MDK2 (2000) supposedly is what inspired Bungie to produce Halo.

Also, in the list of 100 games you need to play before you die, MDK made it, but it's way-better sequel did not. smilie
#44 Posted: 12:53:36 13/11/2011
Quote: spyrocynderfan7
In all reality,
First sights of ...... In games:

Wield two weapons only: Call of Duty 1 (1999 I believe)

Regenerating health: Kill.Switch (2000)

Halo: Combat Evolved (2001) carried these on.
Halo has nothing to do with this. The crap began long before Halo.
What it introduced was a new style of gameplay. Space FPS, which were, although existent, were hardly known until Halo. Though the earliest record I can find of space FPS is MDK (1997) which alternated between First and Third Person.

MDK and MDK2 (2000) supposedly is what inspired Bungie to produce Halo.

Also, in the list of 100 games you need to play before you die, MDK made it, but it's way-better sequel did not. smilie

Research fail. The original Call of Duty and Kill.Switch were both released in 2003, two years after Halo.
---
Needz more eh-mo-shuns.
#45 Posted: 13:44:18 13/11/2011
I'm just back and it turns out ones of the Gamestops I go to isn't all about Modern Warfare 3 but Skylanders cost 60 euro on Wii and a whopping 70 euro on PS3 and Xbox 360 but there was also an electronic store that was selling the game for 56.99 (or least I think that's the price) on all three console formats.

70 EUROS? What are they smoking?
#46 Posted: 16:38:48 13/11/2011

Alright then.

Also worth noting is that Activision has 3 big name games coming out within these few months. And they all have their own advertisers. Think about it:

Gamestop is promoting MW3 heavy.
Toysrus is promoting Skylanders heavy.
And odds are Best Buy would promote Prototype 2 heavy.

All games would get equal time in the spotlight in their respective stores.
Littlerain Green Sparx Gems: 384
#47 Posted: 01:57:30 14/11/2011
If I had responded to this topic a few days ago, I would be raging about the fact that there are no skylanders in my area besides a select few 3 boomer/prisim break/voodood packs and the pirate adventure pack. Now however, it seems like all the stores suddenly decided to carry a LOT of them. There are now full set ups and displays at my walmart and target. I even got all the exclusives yesterday.

If your stores are lacking, I wouldn't lose hope yet
Fireball Emerald Sparx Gems: 3163
#48 Posted: 02:04:36 14/11/2011
In my Walmart, they put Skylanders right next to MW3. :3
---
OblivionSkull21, up and coming indie developer
Page 1 of 2 | Last
1 2

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me