Page 1 of 2 | Last
1 2
If Krome Made DotD... [CLOSED]
Razz Platinum Sparx Gems: 6094
#1 Posted: 04:41:23 27/08/2011 | Topic Creator
I'm kind of rebooting AX7Sparx's topic because the other version so far is nothing but a) complaining about the wrong company names and b) DotD apologists ignoring what the topic is about in order to rag on the people who didn't care for the game (again). So, the question is this:

What do you think would have been different about Dawn of the Dragon if Krome had made it instead of EL?

Some things we know that would have been different:
* character designs
* the title would have been The Darkest Hour
* many story elements (in his blog, LoS character designer Jared S. Pollen said that the Krome team contributed a lot of ideas to ANB and TEN, which implies that the same would have happened here)

Also, I know there was some Krome concept art for the game. Does anyone happen to have that handy to share?

Now for the first opinion of the post. smilie Personally, I would have preferred it if Krome had made the game. Since I was playing for the story and little else, I had come to expect a certain feel and consistency to the series which was absent when EL took over. It's unclear if Krome would have used similar gameplay to ANB/TEN, but I wouldn't have cared either way. Gameplay has never been a strong part of LoS in my books.
CAV Platinum Sparx Gems: 6253
#2 Posted: 04:52:50 27/08/2011
Gameplay wise, I see the flying bits being like the Legend of the Guardians game (which Krome also made).

Otherwise, everything else probably would've remained the same. That's why I have no idea who I would've prefered making this game. Krome might have just made a carbon copy of the first two, but have less glitches than what we already have.
Jackson117 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3875
#3 Posted: 07:35:25 27/08/2011
Well Krome sure were story driven, I bet plot holes would be as large as a small keypocket
SuperSpyroFan Diamond Sparx Gems: 9224
#4 Posted: 09:04:56 27/08/2011
It probably would have been a lot better for LoS fans, but I wouldn't think nothing of it, makes we wonder if the difficulty would have been harder than TEN though.
---
Crash Bandicoot is over-rated
sonicbrawler182 Platinum Sparx Gems: 7098
#5 Posted: 09:14:10 27/08/2011
I think they should of let EL develop the Xbox 360 and PS3 versions, and optimize them, and then let Krome develop the Wii/PS2 version, and optimize them. But Krome would write the story.

If Krome had made it, it would of been just like the previous ones, but with co-op, probably.
---
"My memories will be part of the sky."
PikaSpyro Green Sparx Gems: 250
#6 Posted: 11:37:46 27/08/2011
Like what CAV said already, if Krome did make DOTD, it'll just be yet another carbon copy of ANB/TEN. Only things that'll be different are the title name and the flight.
---
Read my GB.
#7 Posted: 18:15:45 27/08/2011 | Topic Creator
That would've been nice. I liked ANB's gameplay style and it sounded like Krome wanted to take the complaints fans had about both games and improve on them.
BlackNight12 Gold Sparx Gems: 2343
#8 Posted: 01:30:54 28/08/2011
I remember reading somewhere about the story having originally meant to be a lot darker which I think would've been a good way to branch off of TEN seeing as it was also a dark game.

Heh, Malefor may have been an actually acceptable antogonist. I felt he had potention when I played TEN.
---
Trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble! - Taylor Swift
#9 Posted: 03:49:22 28/08/2011 | Topic Creator
Yeah. One of the issues I had with DotD is that it was really light and vague (which was jarring after TEN) but took a viciously dark turn near the end that nothing could recover from (no matter how many faux happy endings they tried to tack on). In the proper hero's journey (which LoS was trying to be), after the hero's fall (which we saw in TEN), the conclusion often starts dark and builds until the hero can have his final act of redemption and become the epic hero (which we didn't get in DotD; Spyro just stupided his way through events and they turned out more or less without the whole world blowing up in spite of him).
#10 Posted: 05:05:59 28/08/2011
^Exactly. For as hard as they tried to go for that heroes journey story they screwed it up big time in that game. Krome probably would have ended up more in that direction. I would love to see what the game would've been. I have no doubt though that it would have been a at least a good jump over DotD. the more light story kind of through it all off for any kind of theme it may have had.
---
Trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble! - Taylor Swift
SpyroFanatic101 Blue Sparx Gems: 851
#11 Posted: 14:11:05 28/08/2011
I would love it. Plain/simple. I LOVED krome's games and to have them create this game t\it would have been so much better. They just would've been a better story. I mean how much more LOTR references can you make? I loved the game but it could've been WWAAAAYYYY BETTA!!11!111one!!11
---
I completely agree with the statement above...
Skorpion216 Ripto Gems: 340
#12 Posted: 14:12:20 28/08/2011
It probably would've had more of a platforming aspect then DoTD did.
Iceclaw Hunter Gems: 10006
#13 Posted: 03:15:12 30/08/2011
Quote: BlackNight12
I remember reading somewhere about the story having originally meant to be a lot darker which I think would've been a good way to branch off of TEN seeing as it was also a dark game.

Heh, Malefor may have been an actually acceptable antogonist. I felt he had potention when I played TEN.

After reading that, I know I would've liked DotD more if Krome made it. I expected it to be darker than TEN, but was quite disapointed when I saw that it wasn't.
---
Twinkies and 2hus
#14 Posted: 05:53:48 30/08/2011
Quote: Iceclaw

After reading that, I know I would've liked DotD more if Krome made it. I expected it to be darker than TEN, but was quite disapointed when I saw that it wasn't.

How does anyone know that if Krome made it, it would have been darker, who knows? The could have decided to make it lighter instead, or more like ANB.
---
#15 Posted: 06:10:14 30/08/2011
Quote: SuperSpyroFan
Quote: Iceclaw

How does anyone know that if Krome made it, it would have been darker, who knows? The could have decided to make it lighter instead, or more like ANB.

Actually, It was stated somewhere a while back (I forget exactly where) that Krome had plans on making it a darker game. I believe it was Activision who trashed the idea.
---
#16 Posted: 06:29:10 30/08/2011
^And yet it's still slightly dark (just not as much as TEN).
#17 Posted: 06:31:41 30/08/2011
Quote: CAV
^And yet it's still slightly dark (just not as much as TEN).

Mostly toward the end though. That's where it actually got ridiculous to how dark it got. No real happy ending could have fallen into play there.
---
#18 Posted: 06:35:41 30/08/2011
I would've liked to see how Krome would've made it darker than TEN. Maybe they would've killed off an important character.......................Without making it completely ridiculous.
#19 Posted: 06:37:08 30/08/2011
Perhaps, they may have. heh, as long as it would have made a decent amount of sense the wayit was executed.
---
#20 Posted: 07:56:55 30/08/2011 | Topic Creator
Well, they were telegraphing Ignitus' death from ANB onwards and hinting that he was the Chronicler telling you the story, but I suspect Krome had better plans for how that was going to play out. Also, it helps that the title for Krome's version actually was "The Darkest Hour".
#21 Posted: 11:31:53 30/08/2011
One thing that would of been better would be Cynder wouldn't be over viewed as a sexual goddess.

Krome's Cynder never did get a character Personality and I always imagined she would be kinda like Buttercup/Cera (Powerpuff Girls and Land Before Time).

The only hint is this bizarre playful side of her seen in the TEN promo trailers.

I should also mention that Volteer would of become the main character smilie
Cuzzberry Gold Sparx Gems: 2081
#22 Posted: 22:45:07 30/08/2011
I don't know, I'm on the fence about this. The glamor of Krome's games kind of wore off after the first few times I played it. I think the levels were relatively nice, and the story made a lot of sense, but I found the gameplay extremely boring. You just battled through countless enemies to keep the story going.

As for Dawn of the Dragon by EL, I found that there were so many unnecessary twists and turns. In a way, it's a bit like The Eternal Night. Spyro is just wandering through the game blindly following the Chronicler's advice and guidance. In Dawn of the Dragon, he's following no one whatsoever. I guess Hunter in the beginning and later Ignitus. It's a little hard to explain, does anyone get what I'm saying?

The gameplay for Dawn of the Dragon was more engaging than the Krome games, I believe. The free flight was decent and being able to play as Cynder also allowed for more possibilities for combos and what not. Climbing was okay, it was kind of pointless when they could FLY. In a nutshell, I think EL was focusing more on the gameplay, but if they had improved the story a lot more and the gameplay a little more, I think they would've had a MUCH better game.
---
Wow... It's been awhile!smilie
#23 Posted: 05:43:16 31/08/2011
Quote: Razz
Well, they were telegraphing Ignitus' death from ANB onwards and hinting that he was the Chronicler telling you the story, but I suspect Krome had better plans for how that was going to play out. Also, it helps that the title for Krome's version actually was "The Darkest Hour".

Yes, that would surely hint to it being darker. I plain just like how that title goes better in with the others

A New Beginning
The Eternal Night
The Darkest Hour.

It has more of a flow to it. Also I agree they probably had a better idea for Ignitus. Anything though would of been better then how he died in Dotd. It was simply put, kinda stupid.
---
#24 Posted: 08:12:40 31/08/2011
When did Ignitus all of a sudden get a power to provide a shield around himself and others? Also, when Ignitus couldn't hold out any longer, he just sort of kicks Spyro and Cynder and they all of a sudden land into safety, first of all, wouldn't the fire have got to them as they were being pushed away? and second of all, how did Ignitus know they would survive by just pushing them away like that. It's so amateur.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 08:15:11 31/08/2011 by SuperSpyroFan
rasigar_dragon2 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1754
#25 Posted: 04:40:25 04/09/2011
/\ yeah thats totally simple
---
[RYUSEI: My reflexes are honed by years of gaming!]
#26 Posted: 09:07:08 04/09/2011
Krome had some good through cliche story (Or maybe i'm a sucker for those type of stories).

Honestly Krome should of finished the project, oh well....
#27 Posted: 09:12:20 04/09/2011
Quote: Jackson117
Krome had some good through cliche story (Or maybe i'm a sucker for those type of stories).

It's a bit silly that Activison/Sierra decided to have a different developer who don't even really know what they are doing with the game to work on it and in such a small amount of time, it's basically another ETD.
---
Prysom Ripto Gems: 131
#28 Posted: 19:56:05 04/09/2011
It would have lost the ONE thing I respected in DotD ever... Spyro's epic, more masculine design.
#29 Posted: 20:09:40 04/09/2011
^I hated that design.
#30 Posted: 20:13:14 04/09/2011
Odd, I loved it. He looked like an older teen, for once.
#31 Posted: 22:44:29 04/09/2011
Quote: SuperSpyroFan
Quote: Jackson117

It's a bit silly that Activison/Sierra decided to have a different developer who don't even really know what they are doing with the game to work on it and in such a small amount of time, it's basically another ETD.

I love EtD!smilie For me DotD is a lot worse then that I'm afraid.
---
#32 Posted: 22:49:00 04/09/2011
Nothing is worse than ETD. JUST NO.
#33 Posted: 03:17:37 05/09/2011
^In your opinion. I love that game. the glitches though are horrid! I think I ended up with the most glitched up one of all.
---
#34 Posted: 09:45:30 05/09/2011
Dude, how could you like it? It's too short! It's nine levels of hell!

smilie

IT'S DANTE'S INFERNO!

[User Posted Image]
#35 Posted: 22:49:38 05/09/2011
again, that's your opinion. I like it because it's nine levels of fun and entertainment for me. A lot of my favorite games are short actually.
---
#36 Posted: 22:58:42 05/09/2011
Yeah, but 9 levels is a little extreme.
#37 Posted: 23:01:09 05/09/2011
Not for me when it comes to EtD. It's (for lack of the proper word) perfect the way it is.
---
#38 Posted: 23:02:34 05/09/2011
It's is used for lack of a better word? What else could It's be?
#39 Posted: 23:04:12 05/09/2011
I'm sorry, what...?
---
#40 Posted: 23:11:15 05/09/2011
Okay, this is about if Krome made DotD, not ETD.
#41 Posted: 23:13:19 05/09/2011
That's right, very good! so lets please keep this on topic.

I know for one Krome's dragon anatomy would have made actual sense. Spyro may not have been the cutest thing in ANB/TEN but at least his body proportion was acceptable.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 23:15:27 05/09/2011 by BlackNight12
#42 Posted: 23:17:32 05/09/2011
Meh, he looked decent in DotD. He looked like he had microencephaly with ANB/TEN.
Smurf Green Sparx Gems: 146
#43 Posted: 23:07:45 14/09/2011
The game would've made alot more sence due to the fact krome had a better understanding of the series. Over all plotholes would be less noticeable game would be less LOTR style. Just a better game in general.
---
"this ain't the level, the next levels the level!"
#44 Posted: 23:18:17 14/09/2011
Yeah, I was always wondering why almost everything was exactly like LOTR.
#45 Posted: 23:20:30 14/09/2011
Quote: Prysom

I wouldn't say it was exactly like LOTR because LOTR was a lot better and that wasn't even half as good, IMO, anyway.
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 23:21:00 14/09/2011 by BlackNight12
#46 Posted: 23:25:53 14/09/2011

I wouldn't say it was exactly like LOTR because LOTR was a lot better and that wasn't even half as good, IMO, anyway.

Yea I agree I'm just saying as a general feel, the whole game seemed like it with dragons...and plotholes. smilie
---
#47 Posted: 23:27:06 14/09/2011
IT IS SUPPOSED TO BE ABOUT DRAGONS.
#48 Posted: 23:33:06 14/09/2011
Derp, I'm saying it felt like they just made lotr with dragons goooosssh the point is the lotr part.
---
#49 Posted: 23:35:00 14/09/2011
Yeah, I stopped looking once the Balrog (Pardon, FIRE GOLEM) came in.
#50 Posted: 23:50:27 15/09/2011
Yeah, I stopped looking once the Balrog (Pardon, FIRE GOLEM) came in.

Lol same I was like *facepalm*
---
Page 1 of 2 | Last
1 2

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me