Page 1 of 1
Difficulty [CLOSED]
NEW_SpyroLUVA Emerald Sparx Gems: 3308
#1 Posted: 11:39:21 23/08/2011 | Topic Creator
One thing that worries me about Skylanders is how difficult (or rather, easy) it's going to be. Since it's marketed exclusively at children and given that (from what I hear) some of Activision's games are quite leasy (eg.CoD), I'm concerned it's going to be so easy it's dull and lacking replay value outside of the purchase of new peripherals. I hope Activision/Toys for Bob realized that you can make a game with kid friendly atmosphere, characters and story but still have an all ages difficulty level. A good example of such a game is Epic Mickey; it's Disney/Mickey so of course the game is perfectly appropriate for kids, but I've been playing platform games since I was four years old and that game still challenged me.

That said the lack of a jump button instantly makes me doubt that it will have one of the maing things that made Epic Mickey so fun/challenging, and that is tricky platforms. Not only that but EM managed to introduce a milti-hit system for killing certain enemies (which never degraded into press sircle fifty million times), whereas the enemies in Skylnaders seem to fall from one hit, or so It seemed to me. But I suppose they could make the platforming difficult by introducing puzzles you need to complete to make platforms appear or clear obstacles, or the need for more intelligent technique/strategy to kill different enemies beyond switching elements or using a stronger/faster character.

But for some reason I doubt that'll happen. Don't know why though...

Nope, cool as some of these characters may be, they're not enough to keep me coming back for more if the game itself bores me.
---
3 uses of teh Int@rw3bz: get info, waste time, and complain.
"Stick to your guns and keep on firin'!" - Max (Me)
Ice Dragoness Diamond Sparx Gems: 7896
#2 Posted: 14:36:08 23/08/2011
Dragon Quest 9 does not have a jump button, neither does The Dog Island and Catz/Dogz wii/ps2 and those games were epic.
semp123 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3232
#3 Posted: 14:47:15 23/08/2011
Quote: Ice Dragoness
Dragon Quest 9 does not have a jump button, neither does The Dog Island and Catz/Dogz wii/ps2 and those games were epic.

Are you ****ting me?
#4 Posted: 14:49:33 23/08/2011
They are, but you probbly have never played them smilie

They are not pet games they are adventure games.
CAV Platinum Sparx Gems: 6253
#5 Posted: 15:33:22 23/08/2011
The game does look easy. This is why I'm hoping for collectables and decent online gameplay. Otherwise I'd be in the same boat as you in terms of lack of replay value.

Quote: NEW_SpyroLUVA
some of Activision's games are quite leasy (eg.CoD)

That's true. CoD is very easy to learn and beat. Multiplayer is a bit more difficult, but only because you have other human players that have probably been playing CoD for several years and have figured out all of the tricks (or lack thereof). It's one of those "pick up and play" games that don't require much work to figure out.

I played them. They still sucked.
XSparxX Emerald Sparx Gems: 4752
#6 Posted: 15:49:21 23/08/2011
Zelda,Harvest Moon,Rune Factory,Final Fantasy,Tales of ect does have not jump button and all of this games are great.
---
"If I had any humanity left, I would have been crushed by the guilt by now."
TheWereCat Yellow Sparx Gems: 1000
#7 Posted: 16:52:31 23/08/2011
I see where you're coming from, but... Well, before the 21st century, games were generally aimed at kids; platformers especially. But that didn't stop them from being a suitable difficuilty- Super Mario Bros., Crash Bandicoot. Heck, Spyro itself. Also, while this an 'ittle boy's' game, I think it's safe to say that younger children today are maybe more experienced with video games then we might've been at their age.
---
"It's time to call in the big guns."
Own:smilie smilie smilie smilie
sonicbrawler182 Platinum Sparx Gems: 7098
#8 Posted: 18:32:40 23/08/2011
Epic Mickey wasn't very challenging, IMO. Still a great game though.

A better example would be Super Mario Galaxy 2.

An even better example would be LittleBigPlanet 2.
---
"My memories will be part of the sky."
#9 Posted: 21:26:59 23/08/2011 | Topic Creator
Quote: TheWereCat
I see where you're coming from, but... Well, before the 21st century, games were generally aimed at kids; platformers especially. But that didn't stop them from being a suitable difficuilty- Super Mario Bros., Crash Bandicoot. Heck, Spyro itself. Also, while this an 'ittle boy's' game, I think it's safe to say that younger children today are maybe more experienced with video games then we might've been at their age.

I know, I'm not saying a kids game can't be challenging; I actually think I said the opposite of that. What concerns me is that this game seems really easy, and that some of Activision's other games were so easy so maybe they'll go the 'idiot proof' route with Skylanders too. I'm also concerned that the developer will baby the young audience with straightforward, super easy base gameplay, simple mini games, and not so cunningly hidden collectables.
---
alicecarp Prismatic Sparx Gems: 12760
#10 Posted: 21:30:06 23/08/2011
Surely the game can't be that simple. The age rating is E10+ or 7+ (depending on region).
#11 Posted: 21:32:59 23/08/2011 | Topic Creator
Maybe, and I hope you're right. Still, It doesn't look like the type of thing that's going to make me think or struggle or have me on my feet I'm trying so hard. And I like that in my games, except for little time waster games, ie. bejeweled
---
spyroGalNicoleX Yellow Sparx Gems: 1582
#12 Posted: 22:31:15 23/08/2011
I really am praying the game isn't as easy as it's portrayed in the screen shots and what not. I really don't want to lose all hope in Spyro and it's future as a game.
---
''All I wanna be, is everything at once''
Fireball Emerald Sparx Gems: 3156
#13 Posted: 23:43:55 23/08/2011
They should have an option to pick your difficulty.
---
OblivionSkull21, up and coming indie developer
#14 Posted: 00:53:03 24/08/2011 | Topic Creator
^Yep, I agree. It would be wise, I mean they must know that, targeted at kids or not, this game does have people of an older age in its fanbase and that some will no doubt be drawn to the game.
---
Clark_Kent99 Green Sparx Gems: 109
#15 Posted: 01:47:01 24/08/2011
Quote: Fireball
They should have an option to pick your difficulty.

This.
---
I rise from the ashes.
Okaps Platinum Sparx Gems: 6245
#16 Posted: 08:20:18 24/08/2011
Many challenging action games do just fine without jumping. I think it could add to the challenge as well, since you can't just become a jumping bean and dodge things. It looks like the winged characters can hover, though.

I'm a little concerned about overall difficulty being easy as well, but in promo videos, the featured character is usually shown "showing off" by defeating enemies with ease.
Or maybe damage will be where the enemy can almost do as much damage as you do to them, similar to Pokemon Scramble if any of you have played that.
Or maybe it really is easy...
---
#all Spyros are valid
Jackson117 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3875
#17 Posted: 11:34:57 24/08/2011
It should be extreme torture, each level done gives a gleam of hope but then it shots down back into your mouth like molten liquid of foul design
#18 Posted: 11:41:43 24/08/2011 | Topic Creator
Well, it can't be THAT hard, though kids games can have a decent level of dificulty, it IS still for young kids.
---
Jackson117 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3875
#19 Posted: 02:55:34 25/08/2011
Ravage Rider, Steam and Ripto were the most hardest creatures to crawl the earth
alicecarp Prismatic Sparx Gems: 12760
#20 Posted: 09:34:27 25/08/2011
I'm 18 yet I still find some 3+ games hard such as Super Mario.

All the newer Spyro and Crash Bandicoot games which can be difficult sometimes are rated 7+ just like Skylanders.
SuperSpyroFan Diamond Sparx Gems: 9224
#21 Posted: 09:38:41 25/08/2011
I think it's all a matter of opinion whether someone thinks that a video game is difficult or not, like some of the Spyro challenges where some people say "Oh I hate this challenge, it's so hard" and some people may look at the same one and just think "Wow, this is too easy"

Like in my opinion, The Eternal Night is the hardest Spyro game to play, but there are people that think it's pretty easy to complete.
---
Crash Bandicoot is over-rated
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 09:39:09 25/08/2011 by SuperSpyroFan
#22 Posted: 10:24:53 25/08/2011 | Topic Creator
Quote: alicecarp
I'm 18 yet I still find some 3+ games hard such as Super Mario.

All the newer Spyro and Crash Bandicoot games which can be difficult sometimes are rated 7+ just like Skylanders.

Yeah I know, but my concern is that someone on the development team thought " Kids R dumb! Make it rly easy 4 them or they won't get it! HERP DERP!"
---
#23 Posted: 14:58:42 25/08/2011
Quote: Jackson117
It should be extreme torture, each level done gives a gleam of hope but then it shots down back into your mouth like molten liquid of foul design

I think it should be difficult, but not insane like Battletoads or IWBTG.
#24 Posted: 09:23:37 26/08/2011
Has anyone played Toy Story 2 for the PlayStation, try that game without cheats, I think that one is pretty difficult for a kids' game. Anyone agree? Just interested to know, and also would you want this game to be difficult like that? Of course it is your opinion if you think Toy Story 2 is hard in the first place.
---
#25 Posted: 10:16:10 26/08/2011 | Topic Creator
I don't recall much of that game.
---
Fireball Emerald Sparx Gems: 3156
#26 Posted: 10:30:07 26/08/2011
I didn't even know there was a game for that on Playstation.
---
OblivionSkull21, up and coming indie developer
CAV Platinum Sparx Gems: 6253
#27 Posted: 16:35:55 26/08/2011
Quote: SuperSpyroFan
Has anyone played Toy Story 2 for the PlayStation, try that game without cheats, I think that one is pretty difficult for a kids' game. Anyone agree? Just interested to know, and also would you want this game to be difficult like that? Of course it is your opinion if you think Toy Story 2 is hard in the first place.

I've played it. It is rather difficult without cheats when you're a kid.
Cuzzberry Gold Sparx Gems: 2081
#28 Posted: 23:11:54 27/08/2011
Ehhhh... I have to say I do enjoy a jump button.smilie

I do like games that don't have a jump button, but I think the reasons that those games don't have a jump button is because it's not a platform game. I don't know though, because there are some jumping things in this game, I don't know what Activision is thinking.smilie
---
Wow... It's been awhile!smilie
#29 Posted: 23:45:19 27/08/2011

I beat the N64 version in just a couple sittings at age 11.
#30 Posted: 09:54:16 28/08/2011
Quote: semp123

I beat the N64 version in just a couple sittings at age 11.

I wonder if the N64 version is different to the PS version?
---
#31 Posted: 03:16:46 29/08/2011
I wonder if the N64 version is different to the PS version?

It's not different gameplay wise, but the N64 version lacks the cutscenes taken from the movie due to hardware limitations.
#32 Posted: 09:51:03 30/08/2011
Quote: CAV
The game does look easy. This is why I'm hoping for collectables and decent online gameplay. Otherwise I'd be in the same boat as you in terms of lack of replay value.

That's true. CoD is very easy to learn and beat. Multiplayer is a bit more difficult, but only because you have other human players that have probably been playing CoD for several years and have figured out all of the tricks (or lack thereof). It's one of those "pick up and play" games that don't require much work to figure out.

They don't, they are awesome. You are just saying that because you have to disagree with everything I say. It's quite sad really CAV.
#33 Posted: 12:16:47 30/08/2011
They don't, they are awesome. You are just saying that because you have to disagree with everything I say. It's quite sad really CAV.

if u don't agree with my opinion, ur just lying!!!1
#34 Posted: 14:00:44 30/08/2011 | Topic Creator

No, I think it's silly for anyone to think someone would disagree with them JUST to disagree with them. It's his opinion that they're not good, and he's entitled to his opinion.
---
#35 Posted: 14:05:34 30/08/2011
No, I think it's silly for anyone to think someone would disagree with them JUST to disagree with them. It's his opinion that they're not good, and he's entitled to his opinion.

Agreed.
#36 Posted: 10:30:14 31/08/2011

But he does it all the time. In fact, you are arguing with my opinion of him now so does that make you a hypocrite? Yes it does.
#37 Posted: 14:57:33 31/08/2011
But he does it all the time.

And he agrees with people's opinions frequently.

In fact, you are arguing with my opinion of him now so does that make you a hypocrite? Yes it does.

Wake up and smell reality.
That wasn't an opinion, you were stating it as if it were a fact.
#38 Posted: 18:27:29 31/08/2011
My DarkSpyro flame war senses are tingling. Back onto kid's games? I was always proud that I beat Kingdom Hearts when I was eight.

Never told anyone I had the guide book though, tee-hee.
---
#39 Posted: 18:37:47 31/08/2011
My DarkSpyro flame war senses are tingling.

Predicting it will happen will only increase the chances.
#40 Posted: 19:33:23 31/08/2011
Quote: semp123
My DarkSpyro flame war senses are tingling.

Predicting it will happen will only increase the chances.

Or possibly put people off and change the subject?
---
#41 Posted: 14:09:38 01/09/2011 | Topic Creator

But he does it all the time. In fact, you are arguing with my opinion of him now so does that make you a hypocrite? Yes it does.

This a forum web site, it is dedicated to discussion and debate. Therefore, everyone's opinions will be argued and debated. I'm not a hypocrite, why would you think so? I siad I THINK, indicating it's MY opinion, I did NOT say that you were completely wrong. Just because I said HE'S entitled to his opinions doesn't mean that you or anyone else is NOT entitled to thier opinion.
---
JeremyTheDragon Green Sparx Gems: 317
#42 Posted: 12:47:50 02/09/2011
I think it'll probably become a challenge. It's like strategy. Some strategies don't acquire jumping.
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me