Page 1 of 5 | Next | Last
1 2 3 4 5
Should I Buy This Game? [CLOSED]
spyro14ever Green Sparx Gems: 374
#1 Posted: 14:55:10 04/01/2011 | Topic Creator
Hi, everyone! I've been thinking about getting DotD... but I can't decide! smilie I really need your guys' opinions and such. Here's my quick opinions on the other main console Spyros so you can know what I like in the series...

Spyro the Dragon- Perfect
Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage!- Great
Spyro: Year of the Dragon- Fantastic
Spyro: Enter the Dragonfly- Bad
Spyro: A Hero's Tail- Okay
The Legend of Spyro: A New Beginning- Good
The Legend of Spyro: The Eternal Night- Bad

I can't decide if I want to spend $20 on this game! I liked ANB and really disliked TEN... why? TEN had horrible graphics (I'm not opsessed with graphics but they were worse than ANB ), repetative gameplay, cheap difficulty curves, bad level design, and more...

Does DotD improve on those things? Should I pick it up? Please help. smilie
---
Dawn of the Dragon is the best Spyro game since the original trilogy.
Better? No.
Awesome? Yes.
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 14:56:16 04/01/2011 by spyro14ever
sonicbrawler182 Platinum Sparx Gems: 7098
#2 Posted: 15:08:34 04/01/2011
DotD is the best LoS game in my opinion. It's also the one that's most like the Insomniac games, as the levels are more open, and there are collectables to find. There are also objective-based missions rather than just getting from point A to B. As for difficulty, it's not too hard. The elite enemies are very tough without fury breath, but they are not mandatory, so you can come back to them later. Also, Cynder's moves spice up the combat, and of course, you can play with a friend.

What system do you plan to get it on?
---
"My memories will be part of the sky."
#3 Posted: 15:21:50 04/01/2011 | Topic Creator
Quote: sonicbrawler182
DotD is the best LoS game in my opinion. It's also the one that's most like the Insomniac games, as the levels are more open, and there are collectables to find. There are also objective-based missions rather than just getting from point A to B. As for difficulty, it's not too hard. The elite enemies are very tough without fury breath, but they are not mandatory, so you can come back to them later. Also, Cynder's moves spice up the combat, and of course, you can play with a friend.

Hmmm... sounds quite cool the way you put it! smilie

I wanted to get it on PS3 if I do, but I see that version is VERY rare, so probably Xbox 360.
---
Better? No.
Awesome? Yes.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 15:25:04 04/01/2011 by spyro14ever
#4 Posted: 15:26:28 04/01/2011 | Topic Creator
Quote: spyro14ever

Hmmm... sounds quite cool the way you put it! smilie

I wanted to get it on PS3 if I do, but I see that version is VERY rare, so probably Xbox 360.

Also, I like my games being difficult sometimes, I just thought TEN's difficulty was cheap and unblalanced taking the fun away often.
---
Better? No.
Awesome? Yes.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 15:26:48 04/01/2011 by spyro14ever
#5 Posted: 15:30:16 04/01/2011
DotD isn't that hard, but the elite enemies are a great optional challenge.
---
#6 Posted: 15:35:58 04/01/2011 | Topic Creator
DotD isn't that hard, but the elite enemies are a great optional challenge.

Cool. Thanks for the opinion! smilie
---
Better? No.
Awesome? Yes.
SuperSpyroFan Diamond Sparx Gems: 9224
#7 Posted: 16:06:12 04/01/2011
DotD sucks in my opinion, Spyro can be hard to control and it feels like your turning a tank around each corner, he feels kind of slow, the attacking moves will take you a while to learn, most of the time, especially towards the end you will be button smashing and you'll get loads of enemies all over you, the level design gets pretty predictable towards the end, the first three levels, and the opening cutscenes are great and interesting. Character designs are pretty amazing too. Graphics is awesome. Flight mechanics are terrible, and you cannot fly very high, can take a while to get used to. I wouldn't spend £20 on it, more like £5, lol. It's nothing great.

Also, by your ratings of the Spyro games, it looks like you prefer the Classics to the Legend, so maybe you should give this one a miss?
---
Crash Bandicoot is over-rated
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 16:06:55 04/01/2011 by SuperSpyroFan
Spyroo Blue Sparx Gems: 867
#8 Posted: 16:14:51 04/01/2011
DotD is either 'you love it or hate it'.

Difficulty wise, it's easy. Insanely easy. I can safely say Year of the Dragon has more difficulty than DotD.
Graphics, brilliant.
Gameplay - This is where I can't really say. Some think gameplay is amazing, some (myself included) think it's mediocre/poor.

There's also a lot of glitches, again, some people get lucky and miss them, some people end up getting every glitch in the game.
---
http://www.nanowrimo.org/en/participants/glumshanks - Because apparently the user 'Kaos' is a spammer. Sheesh, Kaos, srsly?
#9 Posted: 16:15:34 04/01/2011
I completly disagree with all of that, lol.
---
#10 Posted: 17:31:49 04/01/2011
The glitches depend on what version you get. The Xbox 360 version (one I have) doesn't contain many annoying glitches. I only encountered two or three bad glitches, and they don't happen often, and are actually pretty minor. Any other glitch is pointless or actually helpful.

I might get the Wii version too, as everyone says that one is real glitchy on this site. I haven't heard anyone outside of this site complain about it though, and it doesn't seem like there is anything wrong with it from YouTube videos.
---
#11 Posted: 18:10:45 04/01/2011
The Wii version crashed once for me, when I was using Cynder (Rofl) and her Shadow Strike ability. I had to reset the console. I have a lot of glitches on that version, but PS2 is the worst (from my own experience at least).
---
http://www.nanowrimo.org/en/participants/glumshanks - Because apparently the user 'Kaos' is a spammer. Sheesh, Kaos, srsly?
#12 Posted: 18:20:22 04/01/2011
I can make Super Mario Galaxy 2 crash my Wii on purpose!smilie
---
Darby Platinum Sparx Gems: 5738
#13 Posted: 18:31:53 04/01/2011
I'd reccommend it, but like Spyroo said, it's a love it or hate it game. Maybe before you go out and buy it, you could check out videos of it, to see whether it interests you or not? Because really, the opinion on the game varies from person to person.
#14 Posted: 18:35:03 04/01/2011
Just like any game, really!smilie
---
#15 Posted: 18:41:41 04/01/2011
Yup, pretty much!
#16 Posted: 20:11:31 04/01/2011 | Topic Creator
Quote: SuperSpyroFan
DotD sucks in my opinion, Spyro can be hard to control and it feels like your turning a tank around each corner, he feels kind of slow, the attacking moves will take you a while to learn, most of the time, especially towards the end you will be button smashing and you'll get loads of enemies all over you, the level design gets pretty predictable towards the end, the first three levels, and the opening cutscenes are great and interesting. Character designs are pretty amazing too. Graphics is awesome. Flight mechanics are terrible, and you cannot fly very high, can take a while to get used to. I wouldn't spend £20 on it, more like £5, lol. It's nothing great.

Also, by your ratings of the Spyro games, it looks like you prefer the Classics to the Legend, so maybe you should give this one a miss?

Well, I DID like ANB.
---
Better? No.
Awesome? Yes.
#17 Posted: 20:13:59 04/01/2011
It's up to you then, do what you want.
---
#18 Posted: 20:59:17 04/01/2011
I'm currently playing through ANB, and it's a bit repetitive, but still very fun. DotD never felt too repetitive to me.
---
#19 Posted: 21:01:52 04/01/2011
All of the Spyro games in the Legend series are repetitive to me, but then again, the Spyro games in the Classic series become repetitive after a while. So repetivness is equel, don't know if I spelt that right, but whatever.
---
GamingMaster_76 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1271
#20 Posted: 00:08:01 05/01/2011
If you hated TEN and just liked ANB, don't bother with this. It's the game with the most collectables, the best graphics, and the largest areas... But it's mind-numbingly easy and has so many plot holes you cannot enjoy it if you try to. Just buy The Eternal Night for Gameboy Advance(GBA). I can make it definite that it will be at least ten times better than this.

Or, you can read my review in the reviews topic, which points out just a few of the plotholes.(Note: Contains the horribly-executed death of somebody, which you could say is a major spoiler if it wasn't so uncared of...)
Link: //forum.darkspyro.net/spyro/detail.php?post=2087862

Worst LoS game in my opinion.

So pretty much, rent it first.
Edited 4 times - Last edited at 01:43:48 05/01/2011 by GamingMaster_76
#21 Posted: 11:32:19 05/01/2011
Yes, but not all gamers care about story...smilie
---
#22 Posted: 11:39:05 05/01/2011
Yes, but the story is so horrible that it ruins the entire game, IMO. I have NEVER given anything in any game a score of 1(at least as I can remember), except for Dawn of The Dragon. At least there are games out there that are much worse, or the gaming world would be on its knees...

Judging by how spyro14eva didn't like the other LoS games crazily, though... I'd avoid it. The combat is repetitive, the scenery will eventually bore, and the whole game is so easy it's almost like there isn't any replay value at all. I'm actually starting to hate this game, and that's coming from somebody who enjoyed EtD. Only get it if you can find it for cheap, and avoid the horrible Wii version.
Still, opinions are opinions, so I'd never say anybody would definitely, absolutely hate it. It depends on what you're into.

Like I said, TEN on GBA is much better, but if you really want to try DoTD so much... Just give it a shot.

Quote: Darby
I'd reccommend it, but like Spyroo said, it's a love it or hate it game. Maybe before you go out and buy it, you could check out videos of it, to see whether it interests you or not? Because really, the opinion on the game varies from person to person.

I don't believe in the concept of 'Love or hate', like how I find Pocket God to be a good game which sadly gets repetitive but lots of people say 'Love or hate game' about it. It's a completely false thing to me, with the partial exclusion of Justin Bieber(One may find his music bad, yet respect him as a singer, but nearly nobody does).
Edited 5 times - Last edited at 11:54:58 05/01/2011 by GamingMaster_76
#23 Posted: 11:52:21 05/01/2011 | Topic Creator
Quote: GamingMaster_76
Yes, but the story is so horrible that it ruins the entire game, IMO. I have NEVER given anything in any game a score of 1(at least as I can remember), except for Dawn of The Dragon. At least there are games out there that are much worse, or the game world would be on its knees...

Judging by how spyro14eva didn't like the other LoS games crazily, though... I'd avoid it. The combat is repetitive, the scenery will eventually bore, and the whole game is so easy it's almost like there isn't any replay value at all. I'm actually starting to hate this game, and that's coming from somebody who enjoyed EtD. Only get it if you can find it for cheap, and avoid the horrible Wii version.
Still, opinions are opinions, so I'd never say anybody would definitely, absolutely hate it. It depends on what you're into.

Like I said, TEN on GBA is much better, but if you really want to try DoTD so much... Just give it a shot.

I think I will try DotD... I saw gameplay of it and it looks kinda fun. smilie
---
Better? No.
Awesome? Yes.
#24 Posted: 11:56:44 05/01/2011
Yes, but you shouldn't pass the other versions off as bad, even if the Wii version is. I find that DotD is the LoS game with the widest audience. I know three people who haven't played much LoS yet. My brother finished DotD and started playing ANB, and he doesn't seem to enjoy it as much as DotD. Also, he loves the Classics. The second person, my friend from school, played TEN and DotD back to back and enjoyed DotD significantly more. He also loves the Classics, and is quite nostalgic with any game franchise(he believes every franchise should have at least one side-scrolling game). Then, my best friend, played through all of DotD with me in co-op, and loved it. He played TEN and thought it was good, but he didn't enjoy it as much as DotD. He was a non-Spyro fan (he has a demo of Spyro 1, but never got into the series.)

And I don't see how a tenth of the game ruins it (DotD's cutscenes, including the credits, tally up to about 1 hour and 2 seconds. The game takes 10-12 hours to complete). I mean, the cutscenes are skippable. You could play the entire game, and not find out a thing about the story.

But yeah, OP, maybe renting is the best option!smilie
---
#25 Posted: 11:58:21 05/01/2011
^ The. Storyline. Was. Horrible. I've. Played. Whackylands. Boss. Which. is just "Boss VS. hero castle blocking view". And I find the storyline here to be lackluster compared to it- not bad, lackluster, at least that one had some charm. And if you skipped all the cutscenes on your first go, it would be very hard to tell what happened. It's not just the storyline either- It's the fact it's overrated, the fact the combat is tedious, the fact it's almost as short as TEN, the fact there's hardly one moment of 'laugh out loud' humor unlike the other two, and the fact it for me personally ruined a franchise I was actually fully enjoying, and often in franchises I find one or two horrible games, and the fact it was so different from the other two... Must I go on?
Also, I haven't just played the Wii version, I've played the 360 and plan to play the PS3 version if we get a PS3. I'm also thinking of buying the PS2 version.

Basically, rent it first. I warn you, though, you will eventually get tired of it, and the Burned Lands... For the game, it's insanely hard, and you can get through it mostly by button mashing. GTG was harder than this.

I'm in a hate DoTD mood today smilie

Still, if you see The Eternal Night on GBA, buy it straght away and ignore this. It's one of the best games I've ever played.
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 12:10:16 05/01/2011 by GamingMaster_76
#26 Posted: 12:03:20 05/01/2011

And I don't see how a tenth of the game ruins it (DotD's cutscenes, including the credits, tally up to about 1 hour and 2 seconds. The game takes 10-12 hours to complete). I mean, the cutscenes are skippable. You could play the entire game, and not find out a thing about the story.

I'd actually say only about 6-7 hours max, if not less. I beat it around 6 hours on my first playthrough, if I remember smilie

But yeah, rent it first. If you like it, great! Get out there and get it! If not, well, you won't lose out on much money.
---
#27 Posted: 12:09:09 05/01/2011
WRONG!!
....Get TEN on GBA via EMULATORZ!!! It's free!smilie

But as for DotD....
I myself played through this straight after TEN, and loved it. I really liked TEN too, but that's irrelevant, as the games are totally different. DotD should definitly appeal more than ANB and TEN if you're a Classic fan, as fights are often skippable, and there is plenty to collect. Combat is less repetitive than any other LoS game(including TEN on GBA).

When I was looking at videos of this game before getting it, I didn't think I'd love it. Didn't look bad, but not great. But after playing it, I loved it. You said "it looks cool", which is a lot more positive than I thought when watching videos, so I think you might like it.
---
#28 Posted: 12:12:57 05/01/2011
Yes, but if you get TEN on emulator, then you won't be able to carry it around, and if you're like me with the mouse and keyboard, then it will be difficult to control. smilie Plus, the graphics must be badly rendered. I've never played an emulator, but have played PC games, and the controls are frustrating.

DoTD may have the most free roaming, but it's also very poor IMO. Fighting in my opinion, was less repetitive than ANB, but not un-repetitive enough to be called almost completely skippable fighting.

Also, if you can skip most fights, that's actually a bad point, as you're missing out on the whole purpose of the gameplay, fighting <_> And the collectables are too easy to find anyway, I only had trouble with the really badly placed ones, like that one overshadowed by a bush quite severely under a ledge, and some of the randomly placed ones, as well as a couple that were almost impossible to reach- again, poor mechanics. Also, I felt just a tiny bit that the game wasn't clear enough once or twice. Same with the guide, but we aren't talking about that.

Again, it's really up to personal taste. I can't say you'll hate it. You probably won't enjoy it as much as SB kept mentioning, but you probably won't hate it as much as me. I guess you'll like it more than the other two though, which... *sniff* are far too underrated in my opinion. *blows nose on tissue sadly* smilie
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 12:22:52 05/01/2011 by GamingMaster_76
#29 Posted: 12:20:36 05/01/2011
TEN on GBA works fine on an emulator, although I couldn't be bothered finishing hard mode and the like, I'm a bit bored of the game....*shot*

If you rush DotD, you can actually complete it in three hours!smilie
I'm doing a special playthrough of DotD where I don't upgrade myself, use armour, or use elemental attacks in fights, just melee attacks.....I'm on the Dam, and I haven't even passed the two hour mark yet, I believe!smilie

I don't think DotD is overrated though. It got 60-somethin' on Metacritic for cryin' out loud.
---
#30 Posted: 12:24:04 05/01/2011
I never said it was overrated. I may be beginning to hate it, but I actually find it a bit underrated.
#31 Posted: 12:27:13 05/01/2011
Yeah, I hate Sonic 06(as you probably very well know) but often, I feel I exaggerate things.....there is SOME good in it....
---
#32 Posted: 12:29:44 05/01/2011
Yep, lol, these days it's pretty hard not to accidentally exaggerate. I don't disdain DoTD quite as much as my review states, but I'm not crazy about it.

Fun fact: I haven't played DoTD for months, further proof my review is off. But I still uphold everything I said about the storyline.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 12:30:42 05/01/2011 by GamingMaster_76
#33 Posted: 12:32:16 05/01/2011
I go back to Sonic 06 sometimes.....I have all the achievements in it, and bought all the DLC!smilie

But I still stand in saying it's bad. It is the most rushed game I've seen......and if you think DotD is bad for plotholes.....Sonic 06 will blow your mind.....literally...
---
#34 Posted: 12:35:44 05/01/2011
I'll probably never plan on playing 06. I don't. Lots of huge fans hate it, and I've only got 3 games(one of which I hate but it also happens to be a crossover, one of which I enjoy, and one I haven't played yet), so I would probably rip it until it became pieces of nano protons and I died. smilie

DoTD definitely doesn't deserve the worst game ever title, though. But it is my least favorite console Spyro game.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 12:36:32 05/01/2011 by GamingMaster_76
#35 Posted: 12:39:55 05/01/2011
It's often that kind of game where it's so bad it's funny!smilie

Yeah, I think it's a matter of taste in regards to DotD, even when it comes to storyline. When it comes down to it it's a solid game, and it at least tried some new things, unlike TEN, which didn't do much new. I actually find DotD's combat unique....*shot*
---
#36 Posted: 14:57:16 05/01/2011 | Topic Creator
TEN on GBA works fine on an emulator, although I couldn't be bothered finishing hard mode and the like, I'm a bit bored of the game....*shot*

I'm doing a special playthrough of DotD where I don't upgrade myself, use armour, or use elemental attacks in fights, just melee attacks.....I'm on the Dam, and I haven't even passed the two hour mark yet, I believe!smilie

I don't think DotD is overrated though. It got 60-somethin' on Metacritic for cryin' out loud.

I don't use emulators so I won't have to worry about that. smilie

I think I'll order DotD for 360 soon. I mean, I would get it eventually anyways it's the only main console Spyro I have not yet played. smilie And I plan on getting every Spyro game someday... even the ones I dislike... (*Cough* TEN and EtD *Cough*)
---
Better? No.
Awesome? Yes.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 14:58:55 05/01/2011 by spyro14ever
#37 Posted: 14:58:10 05/01/2011 | Topic Creator
Yeah, I hate Sonic 06(as you probably very well know) but often, I feel I exaggerate things.....there is SOME good in it....

Sonic 06 is a very bad game, but I don't hate it. I actually had some fun with the Sonic stages. Besides that was all pain. smilie
---
Better? No.
Awesome? Yes.
Paplok Yellow Sparx Gems: 1754
#38 Posted: 15:01:23 05/01/2011
My opinions for each Spyro game (like in first, spyro14ever's post).

Spyro the Dragon - perfect, awesome music and levels.

Spyro: Gateway to Glimmer - almost perfect, awesome music and levels, but something is missing (maybe freed dragon's quotes).

Spyro: Year of the Dragon - great, good music and levels, but some minigames are difficult, and there's no Elora after GtG.

Spyro: Enter the Dragonfly - I haven't play this game.

Spyro: A Hero's Tail - bad, stupid music, stupid characters and their personalities, strange bosses.

TLoS: ANB - good, nice music, nice levels, next-gen Spyro. But there's something missing...

TLoS: TEN - ^ just look there.

TLoS: DotD - very bad, plotholes, dull characters, changed Guardians lifestyles, stupid situations (growing in crystal etc), Sparx's voice changes again etc. But with good music.
TheWereCat Yellow Sparx Gems: 1000
#39 Posted: 18:51:19 05/01/2011
Quote: spyro14ever

I don't use emulators so I won't have to worry about that. smilie

I think I'll order DotD for 360 soon. I mean, I would get it eventually anyways it's the only main console Spyro I have not yet played. smilie And I plan on getting every Spyro game someday... even the ones I dislike... (*Cough* TEN and EtD *Cough*)

Ignore everyone else's complaints and buy it... Everyone here has wildly different opinions, although I can state as a fact: DotD is NOT an EtD or SL. And since the XBox 360 version is destined to fall to the same fate as the PS3 version, now's the best time. Remember; even if you end up not liking it, it may become worth far more then what you bought it for!!
---
"It's time to call in the big guns."
Own:smilie smilie smilie smilie
#40 Posted: 19:15:34 05/01/2011
^Exactly!
The 360 version could be worth a lot in years to come, so even if you don't like it, you could make money off of it in the future.
Personally, DotD is one of my favourite games of all time. I think it's such an underated gem(no pun intended)!
---
CAV Platinum Sparx Gems: 6253
#41 Posted: 19:58:28 05/01/2011
Love it or hate it. Personally, I love it.

Seeing everybody talk good about the 360 version makes me want to rent it. But I can't, Gamefly expired.

Quote: Spyroo
The Wii version crashed once for me, when I was using Cynder (Rofl) and her Shadow Strike ability. I had to reset the console.

Hooray for irony!

But I never got any glitches, and I own the Wii version. One of the only times my Wii crashed was when I was playing Goldeneye, and it's because my Wii is almost 4 years old.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 19:59:28 05/01/2011 by CAV
#42 Posted: 20:28:38 05/01/2011
I can crash my Wii on purpose when playing Super Mario Galaxy 2!smilie

The only other time it crashed was twice when playing Zelda: Twilight Princess. Also, because my Wii is old(got it a month after launch), I get "The Brawl Problem"....
---
#43 Posted: 21:12:43 05/01/2011
Game opinions are completely different for every person. I never trust reviews. It's simply someone critisizing a game like you're all supposed to believe that's how you're supposed to see it.. maybe I'm exaggerating, but I just don't let critics influence my opinions- or others, really.
#44 Posted: 00:20:54 06/01/2011
The Brawl Problem?

I have a brand new Mario Wii...

DoTD still crashed on it, but only once. Other than that, It had very bad lag, and heavy attacks were actually faster. smilie
#45 Posted: 12:06:25 06/01/2011
If you have an old Wii, it will struggle to read Super Smash Bros Brawl. This is both because of:

1) Your Wii's laser is dusty because of it's age.
2) Brawl is actually a dual-layered disc, as it is such a big game. It's disc is therefore bigger than normal Wii discs, making it harder to read.

It was a problem since Brawl's launch, and many customers sent their Wii for repairs. However, if you place your Wii horizontally, it works easier, and even that's not necessary. I just push it slightly to the side.
---
#46 Posted: 14:08:48 06/01/2011 | Topic Creator
Well, everyone... I ordered Dawn of the Dragon and it should be here in a few days. I hope it like it! smilie Here we go...
---
Better? No.
Awesome? Yes.
#47 Posted: 14:09:54 06/01/2011
Which version did you order?
---
#48 Posted: 14:20:07 06/01/2011 | Topic Creator
Which version did you order?

360 version (I would have gotten the PS3 version, but it was WAY too expensive due to rarity... :/)
---
Better? No.
Awesome? Yes.
#49 Posted: 14:24:58 06/01/2011 | Topic Creator
I REALLY hope I like this game... but if I don't, you know what they say...

[User Posted Image]
---
Better? No.
Awesome? Yes.
#50 Posted: 14:25:43 06/01/2011
"All toasters, toast toast!"smilie
---
Page 1 of 5 | Next | Last
1 2 3 4 5

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me