Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > General > What do your family/friends think of your Spyro *cough* obsession? *cough*
Page 1 of 5 | Next | Last
1 2 3 4 5
What do your family/friends think of your Spyro *cough* obsession? *cough* [CLOSED]
TheWereCat Yellow Sparx Gems: 1000
#1 Posted: 19:54:28 01/01/2011 | Topic Creator
A few days ago I was having an arguement with my brother about DotD; y'see, my brother hates Spyro with a passion, especially since I love it, which would be fine except from the fact that my DotD is for the PS3- his console. He thinks it's a waste of time and that I shouldn't play Spyro. Earlier today, I asked my Dad for a Spyro plush- and that really set him off. He used to not mind me playing Spyro (personally I thought he was just happy I'd been 'weened' off of Pokemon) but know he rolls his eyes at it- considering he was the one who bought me YotD when I was younger. And that made me think- what does everyone else's family/friends think of their Spyro obsession?

EDIT: Oh, so many edits.
---
"It's time to call in the big guns."
Own:smilie smilie smilie smilie
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 10:32:49 19/02/2011 by TheWereCat
Aura24 Platinum Sparx Gems: 6561
#2 Posted: 19:56:49 01/01/2011
Fetish is such a mature, digusting-sounding word around here, WereCat... Think of another word that you can put to your title instead of the word fetish.. Obsessions would be the right word.
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 20:16:38 01/01/2011 by Aura24
Faun Yellow Sparx Gems: 1291
#3 Posted: 19:56:50 01/01/2011
Ewww, Spyro fetish.
---
meguca /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
Darby Platinum Sparx Gems: 5738
#4 Posted: 19:58:13 01/01/2011
Heh, fetish? I'll assume you meant obsession

I really don't think my family care/mind at all. And my best friend is just as interested in Spyro as I am, and two of my other friends are huge Spyro fans as well! My other friends.. they haven't the slightest clue ^.^
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 19:58:50 01/01/2011 by Darby
#5 Posted: 20:02:23 01/01/2011
And...she left..
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
#6 Posted: 20:14:09 01/01/2011 | Topic Creator
Ohhhh... Sorry smilie
---
#7 Posted: 20:17:11 01/01/2011
My parents don't know about my obsession with Spyro, and they don't mind it.
---
#8 Posted: 20:21:40 01/01/2011 | Topic Creator
Lucky. My friends don't mind; they like Spyro, if anything, but they know next to nothing about it.
---
CAV Platinum Sparx Gems: 6253
#9 Posted: 20:31:53 01/01/2011
My family knows about my obsession with games and internet, and my father thinks it has taken over my life, even though it hasn't.

My best friend whom is also obsessed with games knows about my part in the Spyro fandom as well as all the others that I'm a part of, and he doesn't mind. But he doesn't play the games.
sonicbrawler182 Platinum Sparx Gems: 7098
#10 Posted: 20:43:42 01/01/2011
Everyone I know seems to be fine with it. I have two friends who like Spyro.
---
"My memories will be part of the sky."
#11 Posted: 20:48:50 01/01/2011
I don't tell anyone since people will say that it's a babies game, and they will tell me that I should only play CoD, Halo, GTA, and other shooters. Now, I play those other shooters, except GTA since I'm banned from it. But they'll accuse me regardless.

I wouldn't care about what they say, but I just don't want to have to deal with it at all.
#12 Posted: 20:52:46 01/01/2011
I was like that too, but a lot of people found out I liked Sonic. Some people didn't act any different, some TRIED to annoy me, and some people also liked him. Recently, I was practicing drawing DotD Spyro in school, and was suprised to find that a lot of people I know actually like him!smilie
---
#13 Posted: 20:55:35 01/01/2011
I'll be just doodling in class, and at least three people have recognized it as a Spyro character.
#14 Posted: 20:59:30 01/01/2011
When I was drawing that Cynder picture I recently uploaded, one person thought it was supposed to be a Pokemon....and I only had the chest and one front leg drawn! A lot of people who aren't even interested in Sonic like my Sonic doodles in my art pad. One guy even took a picture of one, and a girl took a picture of the Cynder picture, and she wasn't coloured in and I hadn't even started the background!smilie
---
#15 Posted: 21:02:40 01/01/2011
I can't draw to save my life, so I wouldn't be caught doing that.

It seems as though the only game that you can play that isn't rated M is Mario, and even still people get on me for that one.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 21:02:58 01/01/2011 by CAV
Faun Yellow Sparx Gems: 1291
#16 Posted: 21:03:29 01/01/2011
I don't really think that it''s necessary that i tell my friends that I like Spyro. All my friends know that I'm super geeky anyway. :3
---
meguca /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
#17 Posted: 21:09:16 01/01/2011
@CAV: I never understood that. Mario has levels set in bubbly mushroomy and cloudy areas, yet Sonic games have levels set in modern ruined cities, and has had swearing, attempted suicides and bestiality(if you want to look at it that way), yet, somehow, Mario is STILL more mature than Sonic to a lot of people.smilie
---
LTU Spyro Emerald Sparx Gems: 4985
#18 Posted: 21:11:05 01/01/2011
My parents don't really care about that and my friends haven't even heard about Spyro
#19 Posted: 21:28:54 01/01/2011 | Topic Creator
Ahhh, the doodling... When I was in my first year of secondary school, and was given my homework diary, I doodled to the max- within a month it was filled with Spyro, Pokemon and Ginga dogs. At first people would say 'have you drawn anymore pictures in your homework diary?' 'Wow!' and etc, but by the end of the year I'd become a bit of a laughing stock for the popular COD playing kids... And, unfortunately, they did recognise Spyro... After years I've only just managed to shake that one off, plus they still tease me about it occasionally. In all honesty, I think they have very tragic lives if they spend all night and day on COD yet tease others for playing more creative games such as Mario, Sonic and Spyro.

Quote: sonicbrawler182
@CAV: I never understood that. Mario has levels set in bubbly mushroomy and cloudy areas, yet Sonic games have levels set in modern ruined cities, and has had swearing, attempted suicides and bestiality(if you want to look at it that way), yet, somehow, Mario is STILL more mature than Sonic to a lot of people.smilie

Really?! I never knew that (unless you mean Shadow the Hedgehog)... but then, I've only owned about 4 Sonic games, including a Tails game for a kid's Sega console that taught about shapes, colours and reading (it was AWESOME, though! smilie)... So I guess that doesn't suggest anything mature.
---
#20 Posted: 21:29:15 01/01/2011
But even still, Mario is considered babish. As far as most of my classmates are concerned, if it doesn't have a gun, it's a baby game.
#21 Posted: 21:32:22 01/01/2011 | Topic Creator

My favourite game as a 3 year old... I had no idea at the time Tails was from Sonic. Derp.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 21:32:56 01/01/2011 by TheWereCat
Spyroo Blue Sparx Gems: 867
#22 Posted: 21:36:08 01/01/2011
Pretty much everyone I know is aware of my love for Spyro. Thankfully, my friends and family are awesome.

Although I don't have a single friend under 20, so that could be why they're more mature than most.
---
http://www.nanowrimo.org/en/participants/glumshanks - Because apparently the user 'Kaos' is a spammer. Sheesh, Kaos, srsly?
terradortime Green Sparx Gems: 351
#23 Posted: 02:19:54 02/01/2011
my family doesn't care about my obsession of spyro. They know i love that game. Strange thing is the first game was released a day before i was born.
---
my sick dragon
http://www.darkspyro.net/images/night/lair/lair-12H5IG337A1-Blackstorm+.jpg
#24 Posted: 02:26:38 02/01/2011
The first game came out a month before I became 2 years old.
terradortime Green Sparx Gems: 351
#25 Posted: 02:43:34 02/01/2011
StD was one of my all time favorites. I went back to replay it and i literally started cryin right there.
---
my sick dragon
http://www.darkspyro.net/images/night/lair/lair-12H5IG337A1-Blackstorm+.jpg
Queen_Cynder Yellow Sparx Gems: 1694
#26 Posted: 02:51:27 02/01/2011
My mom and dad don't care as long as I don't talk about Spyro too much (which I tend to do smilie) And my grandma rolls her eyes when I start talking about it. My little sis yells at me. smilie
---
I know my username says Queen but I’m a guy I’m just gay : (
#27 Posted: 02:52:44 02/01/2011
My little brother just gives me a weird look. The only Spyro game he ever played was DotD since it was co-op. He was never really interested.
SuperSpyroFan Diamond Sparx Gems: 9224
#28 Posted: 10:20:11 02/01/2011
My parents don't really care what video games I like.
Sometimes my Sister comes in the room and shouts "Yay, Spyro!" But she's only four so she says "Syo" instead of "Spyro" smilie and she actually doesn't like DotD, after like 10 minutes she says "Urgh, this is boring now Sam" then I put the Classic ones on, and she gets bored after like 3 hours, smilie, I think to myself "Yay, she knows which ones are the best" LOL
My Dad has been interested in it, but he just thinks it's repetitive, he doesn't mind watching me play. He only likes Tomb Raider and GTA. And the odd couple of random games.
---
Crash Bandicoot is over-rated
GamingMaster_76 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1271
#29 Posted: 10:21:54 02/01/2011
Nobody I know has much idea about Spyro so they don't care at all. smilie
#30 Posted: 10:23:24 02/01/2011
I think that Spyro is only popular because it could have been found randomly by people when they were younger, other generations wouldn't care about it.
---
ignitusforever Ripto Gems: 1788
#31 Posted: 15:57:48 02/01/2011
Quote: TheWereCat

My favourite game as a 3 year old... I had no idea at the time Tails was from Sonic. Derp.

Huh. I had no idea this game existed until I saw this.

I don't really mention it a lot, so if I bought it up, I am not sure my parents would know what I was talking about. My brother however, played Spyro as a young kid to, so he doesn't mind it.
#32 Posted: 16:40:12 02/01/2011
Quote: SuperSpyroFan
Sometimes my Sister comes in the room and shouts "Yay, Spyro!" But she's only four so she says "Syo" instead of "Spyro" smilie and she actually doesn't like DotD, after like 10 minutes she says "Urgh, this is boring now Sam" then I put the Classic ones on, and she gets bored after like 3 hours, smilie, I think to myself "Yay, she knows which ones are the best" LOL

Well my father cares if I was to one day waltz in with GTA. He banned me from playing that. Otherwise, he doesn't care either.

Something tells me that you forced her to play for 3 hours. smilie

Anyway, my little brother, he walks in and sees me playing Spyro, and he pays no mind to it. The same thing happened yesterday when I was playing TEN. He ignored it and continued to ask his question. And the only Spyro game he's ever played is DotD simply because it's co-op. He says it's alright. But then again, he's not really into those games.
crazyspyrofan Yellow Sparx Gems: 1042
#33 Posted: 16:47:21 02/01/2011
My dad knows I play Spyro games but he doesn't know that I'm a big fan of them. My mom is a Spyro fan herself so she doesn't mind. I haven't told that many freinds about it.
---
"This twisted game needs to be reset,"-Solo Wing Pixy,Ace Combat Zero.
spyrocrash Platinum Sparx Gems: 5012
#34 Posted: 17:20:19 02/01/2011
my parents say i need more teenage games and they say spyro is not one of them. i wish they would shut up about that since the games they play suck.

My friends still play spyro but, some of them stop at a new beginning.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 17:22:01 02/01/2011 by spyrocrash
#35 Posted: 17:31:53 02/01/2011
I remember when parents used to rage about kids playing violent video games and how Jack Thompson tried to ban them. Now that we are playing non-violent video games, parents want us to play those exact games that they were complaining about because they think we're too old to play things like Spyro or Mario? It's complete blasphamy.

My father isn't like that. As long as I don't play GTA, he's fine with whatever I play. He won't question it.
#36 Posted: 17:39:28 02/01/2011 | Topic Creator
Quote: spyrocrash
my parents say i need more teenage games and they say spyro is not one of them. i wish they would shut up about that since the games they play suck.

My friends still play spyro but, some of them stop at a new beginning.

I know how you feel! I saw my Dad selling one of my old Crash games on eBay (Sure, it was the Crash equivalent of EtD, but still!!) and asked if we couldn't sell it, because I still wanted it, only to be greeted by a 'no' from my parents. My Dad said I 'was too old for a baby's game', whilst my Mum said that it was rubbish, anyway- and that's coming from someone who's only played SingStar. In all honesty, they need to realise that 3+ games aren't just for 3 year olds, like animated films, such as Pixar movies, aren't just for kids.

Quote: ignitusforever
Quote: TheWereCat

Huh. I had no idea this game existed until I saw this.

I don't really mention it a lot, so if I bought it up, I am not sure my parents would know what I was talking about. My brother however, played Spyro as a young kid to, so he doesn't mind it.

Ah, well, I don't think Sega wants people to know about it, seeing as it's an educational game for toddlers... It would probabley only make Sonic's reputation worse (seriously, one game Sonic is for the toddlers, the next it has swearing!)

Neither would mine... My Mum doesn't mind it, though, because I told her Elijah Wood was in them (I didn't mention he was only in 3 of them, though. Tee-hee.) My brother never really played platformers when he was younger, he just stuck to Star Wars games. smilie
---
spyrocrash Platinum Sparx Gems: 5012
#37 Posted: 17:48:37 02/01/2011
what i hate the most is that my dad tried to sell my greatist hits copy of the first three spyro games and the only spyro game i have in the playstation trilogy is yyear of the dragon. and then he spent the money on a stupid game called chuzzle( sorry if there are people who like chuzzle but, i think its kind of a little to babyish so i'm not trying hurt feelings.)
#38 Posted: 20:38:24 02/01/2011 | Topic Creator
Quote: spyrocrash
what i hate the most is that my dad tried to sell my greatist hits copy of the first three spyro games and the only spyro game i have in the playstation trilogy is yyear of the dragon. and then he spent the money on a stupid game called chuzzle( sorry if there are people who like chuzzle but, i think its kind of a little to babyish so i'm not trying hurt feelings.)

Aww, that sucks smilie Look on the bright side, though; my Dad sold ALL of my classic PS1 Spyro's!! Chuzzle...? Never heard of it, but it doesn't sound very good smilie
---
#39 Posted: 22:36:40 02/01/2011
Quote: CAV
Quote: SuperSpyroFan

Well my father cares if I was to one day waltz in with GTA. He banned me from playing that. Otherwise, he doesn't care either.

Something tells me that you forced her to play for 3 hours. smilie

Anyway, my little brother, he walks in and sees me playing Spyro, and he pays no mind to it. The same thing happened yesterday when I was playing TEN. He ignored it and continued to ask his question. And the only Spyro game he's ever played is DotD simply because it's co-op. He says it's alright. But then again, he's not really into those games.

Nope, not at all, lol. She can't play games, she's too young at the moment.
---
SpyroStar Blue Sparx Gems: 588
#40 Posted: 03:05:54 03/01/2011
my mom knows i love Spyro but not the obsession....my dad has no clue....most of my friends don't actually know. only 1 knows i'm obsessed but isn't really a fan like she comes off as being. like when someone doesn't know what Spyro is she'll be all shocked but she doesn't know anything about him.

sad thing is that a lot of people call me Spyro because that's my nickname, but nobody knows why.....
---
Just coast with me.
"The secret is I'm angry all the time." - Pete Wentz
fyra Platinum Sparx Gems: 6435
#41 Posted: 16:52:27 05/01/2011
My parents think nothing of my spyro obsession and they will make me hate spyro if they discover a obsession for that like they did with my pokemon obsession.They dont whant me to speak of spyro,dragons in school because if I speak of it they will say it's a baby game and make me hate it.
---
Life may be harsh in such a dark year, happy new year we said an eternity ago it seem now, but it's far from over, we will survive.
#42 Posted: 18:10:56 05/01/2011 | Topic Creator
Quote: fyra
My parents think nothing of my spyro obsession and they will make me hate spyro if they discover a obsession for that like they did with my pokemon obsession.They dont whant me to speak of spyro,dragons in school because if I speak of it they will say it's a baby game and make me hate it.

Mine did the same with my Pokemon obsession- in the end, my Dad refused to buy me any new Pokemon games... Until I fainted and had to go to A&E. I remember him asking me if there was anything he could do to help, to which I replied that I wanted SoulSilver. Boom!

But, anyway, I don't see how parents can call it a 'baby's game' when they've never even played it!! Especially seeing as they like SingStar and Mario games.
---
Jasher Yellow Sparx Gems: 1177
#43 Posted: 18:28:45 05/01/2011
My family doesn't like the legend of spyro series but their ok with the classics. I on the other hand like both. But I did get a few of my siblings to play DOTD with me.
#44 Posted: 18:33:04 05/01/2011
I asked my Dad on what was his opinion on Spyro and he says that the first one is great, but in the rest of them, they are good points and bad points about them. He really liked The Valley of Avalar in DotD. He thinks that's the best thing he has seen in a Spyro game. My Dad doesn't really like to play the games, but he likes watching me play. He finds it boring if he plays it, but more entertaining when I play for some reason. Sometimes I wonder if he just says that to not hurt my feelings, lol.

EDIT: I asked my Mum for an opinion, and she doesn't like video games at all.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 18:33:40 05/01/2011 by SuperSpyroFan
spyro14ever Green Sparx Gems: 374
#45 Posted: 20:08:05 05/01/2011
I'm not obsessed with Spyro, but I love series (mostly) including the games and universe, and just find these forums cool. smilie
---
Dawn of the Dragon is the best Spyro game since the original trilogy.
Better? No.
Awesome? Yes.
#46 Posted: 20:57:24 05/01/2011
My siblings used to play Spyro with me. They joke around and tease me because I'm so interested, but they don't really care. My parents don't either. :3
SpyroGamer2008 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4203
#47 Posted: 05:43:36 06/01/2011
People at my school thought I was weird to like a video game series called Spyro. They would be saying things to me like, "Spyro is just too kiddish for a person like you." I just told them that I respected their opinions on what they thought of the game, and told them that, in my opinion, I enjoyed the Spyro series. I also then told them that they couldn't change my mind about my opinion of Spyro. After saying that, people eventually stopped bothering me with that question. I think they've all forgotten about my opinions of Spyro. (At least I think they have).
---
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5243-6111
P.M. me if you want me to add you.
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 05:45:23 06/01/2011 by SpyroGamer2008
zzsdf Emerald Sparx Gems: 4185
#48 Posted: 11:17:29 06/01/2011
My parents says that Spyro is a kiddish game so when I'm not alone I have to play with other games. I always have to be careful.
spyro_987 Blue Sparx Gems: 871
#49 Posted: 11:37:30 06/01/2011
None of my friends that do have don't care about it 1% as
Much as they love Black Ops
---
HOOPLA
Page 1 of 5 | Next | Last
1 2 3 4 5

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me