Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
Page 1 of 1
Flight of the Owls [CLOSED]
Bolt Hunter Gems: 6135
#1 Posted: 08:53:47 21/12/2010 | Topic Creator
Chapter 1

The sun just started rising from the dusty horizon. The creatures of the desert plains were just starting to awaken. Another scorching day in the Alamaries Desert. But it was always like this, even in the winter it was hot, though not as hot as summer. Not many trees grew in Alamaries, usually only shrubs or cactus. Many rock formations where spread around the terrain forming hoops, swirls and many strange shapes. Most were somehow connected with another, some even forming caves. On the outskirts of Alamaries was a great forest, but that was dangerous for the Alamarian creatures to enter. The desert was protected by a ring of rocks, usually keeping out the other creatures. There was a great forest of rock formations with nooks and caverns seeping through them. Many were home to Elf Owls, all living in the caverns.
Glyra woke up after a short sleep. She didn't have the best rest last night. She shook her head and small, fluffy feathers flew off and landed in her twiggy nest. Glyra stood up and took a deep breath of the warm Alamarian air. She stretched her wings out, then her legs and slowly got out of her nest.
Glyra was ordinary for an Elf Owlet, reddish-brown feathers with white on her under-side. Her eyebrows were also white and she had little white spots around her face. Glyra's family had light blue on them so she inhabited it too, having two blue horizontal lines on her wing feathers and a sort of T on her forehead leading down to her beak.
Glyra trotted towards the entrance to her home, watching her mother and father fly around spotting food. Her little sister, Nymph, slept in her nest. She still had her fluffy hatchling feathers. Another hot day I guess, Glyra thought to herself then quickly glanced over to Nymph. She had woken up, probably from the sound of Glyra's footsteps.
"Good morning," she yawned she walked over to Glyra.
Glyra gave a little chirp and nuzzled her little sister. "Morning," she said.
Nymph turned around when she heard a footstep, then Glyra followed. Standing there was their big brother Neffidd. His red-brown feathers were more darker and his under-side was gray. His blue markings were darker blue as well and were much less. There was one small one in the shape of a circle with an arrow on his left wing and a arrow over his left eye. He also had red markings on him too, like their father but they were also darker, kinda like a maroon colour. There was one in the shape of a gash over his left eye too and it was underneath the blue arrow and there were three horizontal red lines across his right wing. Neffidd also has a sort of crest on his head that was almost black and it continued down until it reached his tail feathers. The crest also continued up his wings. He was just slightly older than Glyra.
"What's the report?" Neffidd asked as he stood out of the shadow.
"Nothing really. Mum and Dad are just catching food an—" Glyra was cut off.
"Okay, and the weather?" He asked.
"That's what I was going to tell you! There seems to be some clouds in the far distance but I can't tell if they are carrying any rain," Glyra snorted, annoyed that her brother cut her off. But then again, he does it a lot, to everyone.
"I hope we get rain," Nymph weakly said. "Look at the trees now, they are dying."
"Yeah, that creek needs some refilling," Glyra puffed, looking at the creek that passed through the shrubs. Then she just saw her Dad zip into a shrub near where she was looking and snatch up a desert mouse. Glyra thought she saw smoke and a spark come from her father's wings. Their parents flew for the nook and land at the entrance.
"Hello my children," their mother said. Her voice was strong, but kind. "This is all we could catch today." She put a dead mouse out on the floor or the cave. Their Dad put two dead mice on the ground, one to Glyra and the other for Neffidd. Nymph snatched up the one her mother put down while Neffidd swallowed his very fast. Glyra was the last to eat her's, she wasn't very hungry.
Glyra looked outside again and saw other Elf Owls flying out for their morning meal. She remembered her great longing to fly. "Dad?" she asked suddenly.
"Yes, Glyra?" he replied, turning his head to his daughter.
She knew it was dangerous, but she really wanted to start her training, "When will we, er, me and Neffidd, start out flying lessons?"
"You can start now if Neffidd agrees."
"What ever. At least we can see that I'm better than you, Glyra!" Neffidd boasted and took off towards the entrance.
"Now wait, Neffidd," their father said as he walked up to the entrance. "You have to take this seriously. If you fall on the ground, the dingoes will most-likely eat you. Seeing as you can't fly vertically, you wouldn't have any chance getting back up."
"Yes, yes I know," Neffidd grunted and impatiently waited for them to go out.
There were branch-like ledges coming out of the rock, so the owlets could use them as perches.
"Come on, young owlets, lets get some practice," their Dad said as he glided down onto a ledge. The two siblings followed. Glyra had trouble stretching her wings out to glide, while Neffidd didn't have much trouble.
"Ha!" Neffidd laughed. "I'm better than you already!"
Glyra just rolled her eyes and looked at her Dad.
"Nice going Neffidd! Glyra, try stretching your wings out further, you will do much better," their father said.
"I can't, Dad! My wings are too short..." Glyra said sadly but annoyed.
"Don't worry. It runs in the family, I had the same trouble as you," their Dad said with a wink.
"Well, okay," she sighed. "What are we going to do?"
"Well, we'll start with gliding to a ledge," their father said. "But be careful not to fall."
Neffidd glided to a lower ledge and landed almost perfectly. Glyra tried to stretch her wings and then she too glided down but almost fell off. The dust from the ledge slid off as she landed.
"You are doing well, maybe it is time to try to go upwards," their Dad said as he flew upwards.
Neffidd flexed his wings and flew up onto the ledge his father was on. It wasn't as good as his other landings, but it was pretty good for a beginner. Glyra watched her brother do it, so she tried his technique. She flexed her wings and aimed to fly for the ledge the other two were on. Glyra almost had the branch but started dropping down. Glyra started to panic and her family started to worry. Her Dad was about to drop and go after her, but she locked her talons onto the ledge and started hanging upside-down. A wave of relief washed through the three and Glyra climbed up onto the topside.
"Okay, that's enough for today," her father said as they flew inside the hollow.
---
you don't know me. i break things
I draw stuff.
daimondcynder21 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1218
#2 Posted: 09:55:55 21/12/2010
wow thats really really good!
#3 Posted: 10:05:58 21/12/2010 | Topic Creator
Thank you. smilie
I'll get the next chapter in soon, because it is like nine at night here. And this took me all day to do you know because I hardly had any time.
---
I draw stuff.
#4 Posted: 05:08:52 27/12/2010
wow! really can't wait to read the next chapter!
GamingMaster_76 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1271
#5 Posted: 08:49:51 27/12/2010
Nice LOTG fanfic, Bolt! But I'm pretty sure the desert is called Ambala. At least, in the books. Also, the owls have ceremonies like First Meat on Bones, First Flight, etc. You might want to read the books.
Aura Dragon Yellow Sparx Gems: 1353
#6 Posted: 09:28:44 27/12/2010
This is very interestingsmilie I'll be back for more.
---
Story status- Skylanders: The Forgotten Elements- Chapter 11 is up ~ End of all Hope- Done

~Watch the Power of Aura~
#7 Posted: 21:41:03 27/12/2010 | Topic Creator
Thank you every one!
I'll get the next chapter in when I am finished my Christmas picture. I can't wait to write the next chapter but I can't keep the other waiting for a Christmas picture. smilie

Quote: GamingMaster_76
Nice LOTG fanfic, Bolt! But I'm pretty sure the desert is called Ambala. At least, in the books. Also, the owls have ceremonies like First Meat on Bones, First Flight, etc. You might want to read the books.

It's not really, but thanks. I'm making this desert up. I haven't read the books yet anyway and I'm not trying to get anything from the story, it just came up from the top of my mind.
---
I draw stuff.
#8 Posted: 12:10:26 28/12/2010
Lol, same thing happened to me after a weird dream and it inspired me to make a fanfic on the books.
#9 Posted: 12:15:27 28/12/2010 | Topic Creator
Things like that happen to me all the time. And I know when I will hopefully get the next chapter up, tomorrow or the day after are my plans.
---
I draw stuff.
#10 Posted: 09:47:19 29/12/2010 | Topic Creator
I've got the next chapter right here! smilie

Chapter 2

Glyra hurried inside, worried that she will fall off and onto the ground. Neffidd gave her a smirk of triumph and he walked inside the hollow. Nymph had fallen asleep again and was lying in her nest. Glyra was puffing in fear and exhaustion and she got into her nest and slowly fell asleep looking out at the scenery of the Alamaries Dessert.

Glyra awoke and found herself in an abstract land. She looked around and saw a great and strangely blue lake. Black, thick liquid fell from the sky and the sky itself was pure white. The ground was a pale blue and the blackness soaked quickly into it.
Where am I? she thought and shook her head.
Glyra looked around and saw the same scenery, nothing else. She decided to go and look around this strange place. The ground she was walking on got steeper and the lake was now out of sight from this hill. Glyra reached a higher point and walked off the face of the earth. She looked down and panicked as she saw a molten land quickly advancing to her. She realized she was falling and started flapping her wings like crazy. It was no use and just before she landed into the scolding hot lava, everything turned white.

Glyra got up and yelled in panic. Cold sweat trickled down her brow and she saw she was in her nook in Alamaries. She noticed she was hidden from view by dry grass from her nest. She looked around and saw no one in the nook, not even Nymph was in her nest. There was an eerie silence. Glyra couldn't stand it and went outside to see if they were there. No one. But at the bottom of their rock, there were dingo tracks. They have been known to pick Elf Owls from the caves and eat them.
Glyra couldn't help it, see was scared. She had to move because she knew the dingoes were still around.
You can't go, wait 'till they leave, she thought to herself.
But what if they smell you? she started to debate with herself until she came up with an escape plan. She could grab on to things with her talons so she would climb to the top of her rock formation and glide off. Would it work?
Glyra quickly, but quietly crawled out of her cave and hooked onto the rock. She wasn't holding on so she used her beak to get extra grip. As she climbed up the face of the rock, she heard the dingoes sniffing the air. Down below she saw a dead Elf Owl, but she couldn't tell who it was. Neffidd and Nymph were trapped inside a shrub, Glyra couldn't do anything to help them. When she reached the top of the rock, she saw the dingoes starting to climb up it as well but they were much faster.
Now or never, Glyra said to herself and took off into the hot air. Her wings carried her towards a large pile of rocks. She saw a network of little passageways inside it. Glyra looked over her wing and saw the dingoes howling on the rock. She could tell they were angry because their food had escaped.
She wasn't paying attention to the upcoming rocks so she collided with them, almost breaking her wing. She felt a lightning bolt of pain streak through her skull to her spine. Glyra got up and shook her aching head. There was no time to waste, she scuttled hurriedly inside a cave in the rock.
She watched the dingoes approach her little cave and start snapping at the entrance, hoping their muzzles will reach the owlet and grab her out. Glyra scurried in deeper, escaping the beast' fierce jaws. She noticed it got darker and more rugged as she continued into the network of tunnels.
Glyra got to the interior, though the walls were still very rugged and it was impossible to see for a normal creature but Glyra was an owl. She saw dark figures at the top of the cave, probably just stalactites though. She made herself comfortable in a little ditch in the ground.
"Who goes there!" she heard something mutter in a grumpy voice.
---
I draw stuff.
#11 Posted: 09:57:37 29/12/2010
*claps* Good chapter.
#12 Posted: 10:04:28 29/12/2010 | Topic Creator
Thank you. It was much shorter than my first one because I simply didn't have enough time.
---
I draw stuff.
#13 Posted: 23:47:18 29/12/2010
wow this is really good, don't stop! keep going!
#14 Posted: 01:22:04 30/12/2010 | Topic Creator
I will, I'm really enjoying writing this story.
---
I draw stuff.
#15 Posted: 07:51:48 03/01/2011 | Topic Creator
Next chapter up and away!

Chapter 3

Glyra felt a wave of fear surge through her body. What was this creature? She stepped backwards and weakly replied, "I'm Glyra... an Elf Owlet."
The creature in the dark shifted slightly. "Speak up!" it hissed at the owlet.
"Glyra, an Elf Owlet from Rocky Creek," she spoke with recognizable fear in her voice.
"An owl, I see," the creature said, and it even had fear in it's voice now. Why is this creature scared of Glyra when she is scared of it? The creature hid back further in the shadows. "You and I cannot be seen together!" It barked.
"What?" Glyra asked in surprise.
"You see, we are at war. Us bats have no chance against you. You even killed my family, well, not you exactly."
"You are a bat? I don't want to inflict any pain towards you, I don't want this war. My parents told me of this war, I believed it stupid and pointless."
"Do you know even why we are at war?"
"No..."
"Because you closed the skies from us bats! We got kicked out from the night because you are blaming us for attacking birds when we have no idea what's going on!" the bat hissed.
"I'm just an owlet if you don't know! You sound young yourself, how would you even know this?" Glyra asked, anger flickered through her voice.
"Where you not listening to me?!" the bat shouted. "My parents were killed from you owls. There is no way we could form an alliance when you owls killed like half my colony!"
Glyra saw no use in this fighting, "Anyway, what is your colony?"
"If you must know, I am Raaya from the Usivus, a Flarewing," Raaya said with a puff of annoyance.
"That's strange..." Glyra remembered something.
"What, what is it?" The Flarewing demanded.
"We didn't attack certain bats, your breed is one of them. Though the bigger owls did. You and I had peace because you never angered us. If the other owls found out, we would be dead right now."
Raaya glided out from the shadows revealing his body. He had scars all over him. The most distinct one was over his chest. "If this is true, I may as well go with you. I guess we have nothing to loss, except my life if you are lying..."
Glyra smiled at her new friend. "I swear, I am not lying. We will have to move, there are dingoes trying to attack us out there."
"Can you fly, unlike myself?"
"Sadly, no."

The two went outside and looked around for any signs of danger. The heat suddenly got to them, the caves were much cooler. There were no dingoes around, lucky. Glyra got off the rocks and glided off onto the hot sand. Raaya followed and then winced in pain from the hot sand on his paws. It didn't affect Glyra because she had scaled legs. She gestured to Raaya to hop on her back so he did and sighed in relief from the burning feeling.
They set off on their journey for peace, though not knowing where to go to stop the war...
---
I draw stuff.
#16 Posted: 07:59:42 03/01/2011
this is really good!!!!!
#17 Posted: 08:02:24 03/01/2011 | Topic Creator
Thank you, I guess it is kinda like your story, an impossible friendship.
---
I draw stuff.
#18 Posted: 08:15:54 06/01/2011
Great chapter!
#19 Posted: 08:36:37 06/01/2011 | Topic Creator
Thanks, the next one will come probably tomorrow.
---
I draw stuff.
#20 Posted: 10:03:36 06/01/2011
can't wait!
Aura Dragon Yellow Sparx Gems: 1353
#21 Posted: 01:56:40 10/01/2011
This is getting interestingsmilie
---
Story status- Skylanders: The Forgotten Elements- Chapter 11 is up ~ End of all Hope- Done

~Watch the Power of Aura~
#22 Posted: 22:57:11 14/01/2011 | Topic Creator
Many thanks, Aura. smilie
And sorry about the loooong wait.

Chapter 4 Part 1

Raaya rode on Glyra's back, too scared to let his feet touch the scalding sand. The walk had been treacherous, and they had encountered many different creatures, mainly desert reptiles. The hot sand was starting to affect Glyra now so she had to stop.
"Look there!" Raaya told Glyra.
"What is it?"
"Water!"
Raaya started flapping his wings really hard as he attempted to fly towards the sparkling liquid. He did not succeed in flying but he was able to glide into the shade of a rock and climb on top and glide his way to the water's edge.
"Wait up!" Glyra shouted to him as she ran as fast as her legs could carry her.
They had reached the water and lapped up loads. Though it had a strange salty taste. It gave Glyra a disgusting taste in her mouth and spat the last sip out.
She peered over to the other side of the oasis and saw dingoes gathering up to drink. Fear washed through her every feather and just stared at them, unable to move.
"Glyra?" Raaya asked. "Stupid owl, I'm going to leave. I can't trust you..."
He started to make his way to his rock tunnels and stopped. He saw four large paws in front of him and slowly looked up. Before he could move, the dingo snatched him up in its jaws and sank his teeth into Raaya's back flesh.
Glyra didn't know of this because she hurried away from her own dingo. It snatched her tail feather and dragged her towards it. She could tell it was a she-dingo and started scratching her muzzle. The dingo yelped and let Glyra go, and saw Raaya in a he-dingo's jaws.
She didn't hesitate and ran over to the dingo and clawed at it's feet. The dingo yelped but didn't let go of Raaya. Glyra then clawed her way up onto the dingo's back and he roared in pain from her sharp talons.
To be continued...

Sorry it is short, I had to put it in parts merely because I didn't have time (only 15 mins left on the computer sadly). I will post part 2 soon I hope.
---
I draw stuff.
#23 Posted: 05:46:33 16/01/2011
Nice...
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me