darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > The Legend of Spyro: Dawn of the Dragon > Do you dislike this game? Let's talk about it! :)
First | Previous | Page 6 of 6
1 2 3 4 5 6
Do you dislike this game? Let's talk about it! :) [CLOSED]
Razz Platinum Sparx Gems: 6094
#251 Posted: 10:50:55 30/11/2010 | Topic Creator
For the record, I didn't mind the skateboarding in the old Spyro games, and I hate skateboarding games as a general rule. They made it fun and it fit with the game well enough. But, honestly, I have no idea why we're even talking about it. smilie

And I do wonder why you're here, sonicbrawler. Every point we make on this topic, you challenge, and that's not what this topic is for. Don't you think those of us who dislike the game put up with that enough as is? I wouldn't have made this topic as a haven for DotD haters to go if we had anywhere else where we could just complain and be left in peace. Your constant bickering about it here is getting a bit old and it does nothing to change our minds on this matter. We played DotD, we know exactly why we hate it. We're fine with you liking it, but really don't care why you do (at least not here; frankly, we hear that enough everywhere else as is) Telling us why you like it and constantly arguing with us about our own grounded opinions doesn't make us like the game more, it just reinforces many of the reasons we hated it to begin with and often gives us new ones to boot.
sonicbrawler182 Platinum Sparx Gems: 7098
#252 Posted: 11:08:11 30/11/2010
I'm not defending it. I'm just saying that there are a lot of things in both LoS and Original Spyro, where, if they put them in the next game, people would say "it's only there for the fanservice".

I actually have been stating things I DON'T like about the game here. Just because I had a slight disagreement on something, does not mean I'm defending the game.

And ther is a huge difference between "fun" and "impressive". Sure, skateboarding impresses some Classic Spyro fans, but anyone else in this day and age would tell you that it would be a way of making the game pointlessly longer. The disc space spent on the skateboarding mini-games could be spent on, you know, SOME ACTUAL, UNIQUE PLATFORMING levels that there have not been anything like in ANY OTHER GAME, rather than ripping off another popular series.

I don't hate the skateboarding sections, I think they are kind of fun, but the disc space could of been spent on something better. I bought Spyro 3 to play it for it's unique platforming action, not to see it rip off another game series I like. Tony does skateboarding better than Spyro, and Spyro's unique feature is the fact that it's a dragon in a platform adventure. The idea of Spyro's skateboarding was to rip off Tony Hawk, and make the game longer. Tony has more tricks, crazier characters than dragons, absolutley insane objectives, course and leaps, AND unlockable "cheats" to make the game even crazier. Spyro's skateboarding is a super toned down version of Tony Hawks skateboarding, with generic, basic courses, and a lot less moves. So, including it would just be "fan service" to people who have ONLY played Spyro's skateboarding. The only people who would describe Spyro's skateboarding as "OMG, AWESOME!" would be truly biased Classic Spyro fans and kids. Anyone else would see it as generic.

Actually, I'm going to create a topic for people who have things they don't like about Classic Spyro, seeing as there are so many LoS hate topics.
---
"My memories will be part of the sky."
Spyroo Blue Sparx Gems: 867
#253 Posted: 11:27:13 30/11/2010
.....Yeah, you don't get our point at all. You have been praising LoS up, defending the flying, defending the plotline, etc.

YOU were the one who brought up skateboading. And you're the one who seems to be getting a bit agitated because not everyone happens to think Tony Hawk is epic (I think it's rubbish - I have a Disney skateboading game that's better, thank you). The Spyro skateboarding is fun, whether you like it or not. In fact, you're starting to sound childish with it now because people don't like Tony Hawk as much as you believe they should, no offense.

And you can do, but honestly, right now it just sounds like a bit of a tittletattle kind of thing to do because we disagree with you. No offense again.
---
http://www.nanowrimo.org/en/participants/glumshanks - Because apparently the user 'Kaos' is a spammer. Sheesh, Kaos, srsly?
SpyroxCynder Yellow Sparx Gems: 1906
#254 Posted: 11:47:47 30/11/2010
I have a friend that gives skateboarding lessons for money. Does that mean he's gonna be put in the slammer for copyright infringement? Just because Tony Hawk has a skateboarding videogame, doesn't mean that other games can't do it as well.

Skateboarding was the big shizz when Tony got real popular. So they thought, hey, what would be funnier than a dragon skateboarding? It's like your dog skateboarding, only purple!
---
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not. - Dr. Seuss
#255 Posted: 12:33:53 30/11/2010
I am not explicitly defending DotD, at least not here. I'm disliking it, but not in a biased way. I just had a slight disagreement, that's all. Plenty of haters are doing the same on the "who loves DotD" topic, yet were not complaining.

I was saying DotD's flying was fine for it's purpose, but would be crap in anything else such as a speedway. It could do with improvement.

I actually brought up some bad points about the plotline, so I don't see how that was defending the plot. And I never disagreed with you about the Dark Spyro/Cynder thing.

I know I brought up the skateboarding thing. And I'm not getting adgitated at all(how could I, it's snowing!smilie). I don't think anyone has to like Tony Hawk. It's just I don't get what you mean by Spyro's skateboarding is great by "the idea alone", seeing as it rips off Tony Hawk's idea and tones it down greatly.

But it doesn't matter, I'll make that topic anyway. And I'm not making it because you disagree with one thing. I just think there should be a balance. A topic for disliking things about LoS and a topic for disliking things about the Classics.
---
#256 Posted: 12:37:34 30/11/2010
You obviously didn't read my post. :/
---
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not. - Dr. Seuss
#257 Posted: 17:01:39 30/11/2010
Generally, haters on the 'who loves DotD' shouldn't be there though, and no one is sticking up for them for that reason anymore.

Classics don't have a hate topic because..... Well, back when they came out, they were really great. There aren't many haters. LoS is just like any other series. On top of that, you have to stop and realise - LoS basically destroyed the classics in order to make way for it.

Also, agreeing with what SpyroxCynder said :/
---
http://www.nanowrimo.org/en/participants/glumshanks - Because apparently the user 'Kaos' is a spammer. Sheesh, Kaos, srsly?
#258 Posted: 21:06:51 30/11/2010 | Topic Creator
^This!

The only people I know of who have anything to complain about with the classic Spyro's (and I'm speaking only of the Insomniac games here) are those who didn't play them from the start and who haven't grown up with gaming technology (as in, you started playing games when they were literally bare bones and, thus, these games were quite innovative for you). Heck, even over a decade later, the Insomniac games are still scoring better than LoS, and this is by today's standards of gaming.

The only people I know of who really don't like the Insomniac games are those who played LoS first and got it in their heads that Spyro is supposed to be epic.

Also, I'm convinced the makers of LoS never actually played the original trilogy. Looking through Activision's list of Spyro games, those first three aren't on there at all and every time Mike Graham or Chris Wilson gave an interview about Spyro, they really only seemed to talk about games like AHT and onward.
#259 Posted: 22:09:54 30/11/2010
I have things I dislike about the Classics, just like I have things I dislike about LoS. Spyro 1 was the game that truly got me into gaming, and I still see it as innovative. Any flaws I pick out are unbiased when it comes to both Spyros. I love them both, but I still have things I don't like. No game is perfect to me. I will always find something I don't like.
---
SuperSpyroFan Diamond Sparx Gems: 9224
#260 Posted: 22:11:59 30/11/2010
Quote: sonicbrawler182
I have things I dislike about the Classics, just like I have things I dislike about LoS. Spyro 1 was the game that truly got me into gaming, and I still see it as innovative. Any flaws I pick out are unbiased when it comes to both Spyros. I love them both, but I still have things I don't like. No game is perfect to me. I will always find something I don't like.

That is true, there hasn't been a game for me, that I think is 'perfect' and nothing is wrong with it. The first game I played was 'Tomb Raider' and it's mainly the nostalgia that makes me enjoy it and play it again.
---
Crash Bandicoot is over-rated
#261 Posted: 22:41:07 30/11/2010
I have learned to forget about nostalgia. The reason I like Classic Spyro isn't nostalgia based - I played them again recently and noticed flaws that I never noticed before, but I still love them. I also went into LoS with a "this won't be the same" mindset, and that helped me to like it. It was a new kind of Spyro for me, not an old one.
---
#262 Posted: 23:25:57 30/11/2010 | Topic Creator
I like the old Spyro games both for nostalgic reasons and because, quite frankly, they're still fun to me. I enjoyed playing them then and I still do now. A lot of modern gamers who played them when they first came out say the same thing.

I came into LoS with the same mindset and I did like it to a point. But, frankly, it was a shallow attempt to make money off an old franchise and the shallowness is evident in every part of it, from the story-by-numbers to the cut-and-past pretend combat game. There's nothing innovative or original about it in the slightest. At least with the classics, they did do some new things, try a few experiments, and their sources of inspiration were other platform games instead of tired movie cliches and combat titles that are about as suited to a Spyro game as socks are to a parrot.

More and more, I really just wish they'd left Spyro out of this. The games would be forgiveable if they'd been about Cynder, or some other dragon had been the hero. Tying them in with Spyro just makes their grasping for money more obvious and gives more people a reason to hate them than not.
#263 Posted: 23:48:17 30/11/2010
^ Yeah, why did it have to be about spyro? Any other dragon in this game would've been perfectly fine.
---
#264 Posted: 23:49:59 30/11/2010
Agreed with Razz.

No game is perfect, but I've never been a fussy gamer. Many gamer gripes for many famous games I just think 'Eh, no biggie'.
So for me, classic Spyro is as close to perfect as I will ever get - It featured my favourite type of creature, my favourite style of gameplay, my favourite level design (Can't stand epic anymore - All because teens think 'darkness is teh awesum' nowadays), no soppy love scenes (too girly for me unless done right like Hunter & Bianca), great selection of characters and personality.... I could go on, really. Yeah, it has flaws, but I don't care in the slightest.

LoS was very different. However, the one game in the series many disliked - TEN - I found the combat tedious and the characters a bit bland, but no other flaws in the game. That doesn't mean I think it's perfect, I just like the game enough not to complain about the flaws.
---
#265 Posted: 00:10:27 01/12/2010 | Topic Creator
In case folks think I'm actually picky about the games I like, I'm not. My favorite game of all time is Astyanax, a pretty cut-and-past, cliche-storied NES game. On my games shelf are some cult classics of gaming sitting right next to some very mediocre media tie-ins (Samurai Jack game and a really bad game called Dragon Rage that gives me the giggles for its badness). And I'm certainly no game connoisseur; I outright hate some of the most popular games ever made (any war game, most RPGs (especially Final Fantasy), etc.). So I have nothing against mediocre games if they're willing to own up to what they are.

And I still loathe DotD. Everything that can be done to make a game insincere and manipulative to obviousness is done in this game and that, above all else, is what ticked me off. The game makers even admit that they only hired big name actors because they wanted to appeal to kids' parents, and it's obvious that they ripped off God of War to try and lure in teenagers. When you try so hard to appeal to everyone, you really screw things up.

As for the other games in LoS, they were shallow and goofy in their ways, but they at least had a little bit of heart in them. I may be the odd one out, but TEN is actually my favorite LoS title, not because of the gameplay (that sucks in all of them for me), but because it's the only game that has a consistent atmosphere it carries through the whole game. ANB couldn't decide if it wanted to be cute or epic, DotD couldn't decide what it wanted to feel at all, but TEN sticks with a consistent moody atmosphere that's perfect for the story it's telling and everything, from the music to the visuals, matches that mood.
#266 Posted: 00:15:26 01/12/2010
Heheh. Dragon Rage. I loved Cael, found the game terrible though xD /random

But yeah, you're right on with DotD there. I've generally never considered another game a rip-off any game at all, but DotD and GoW..... Ugh. I'm worried if the same director is working on Kingdom.

Edit: Oh, and Razz, I wasn't referring to you as a fussy gamer or anything smilie
I was referring to the people who have to point out flaws in every game they play.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 00:22:20 01/12/2010 by Spyroo
#267 Posted: 00:44:20 01/12/2010 | Topic Creator
I didn't think you meant me, but I figured I should address it anyway. I rant so much about LoS that I get the feeling most people here have no idea that I play other games and how I judge them.

Chris Wilson got the boot from the Spyro team, but Mike Graham is still there. I just hope they aren't letting him write this time. :/
#268 Posted: 02:41:21 01/12/2010
lolz, I'm probably the biggest FF fan nerd here. xD

But yeah, it ain't the brand that makes the game, but what it's made of.
---
#269 Posted: 04:13:04 01/12/2010 | Topic Creator
I'll admit that I liked FF9, but even that I couldn't finish. All the other games in the series never got my interest (though the way my husband talks up 6, I am considering playing it sometime, maybe).
#270 Posted: 11:34:22 01/12/2010
Just don't play 13. I mean, it is a good game, it's just not a Final Fantasy game. They messed with the recepie too much. Sort of like with LoS.
---
#271 Posted: 15:24:44 01/12/2010
I have a couple of FF games, but I haven't had a chance to play them yet D:
Quote: Razz

Chris Wilson got the boot from the Spyro team, but Mike Graham is still there. I just hope they aren't letting him write this time. :/

Oh noooooo. Do not want smilie
---
DarkCynder_543 Platinum Sparx Gems: 5210
#272 Posted: 12:21:59 02/12/2010
I am not explicitly defending DotD, at least not here. I'm disliking it, but not in a biased way. I just had a slight disagreement, that's all. Plenty of haters are doing the same on the "who loves DotD" topic, yet were not complaining.

But it doesn't say that the topic is for lovers only. It just says, "Who likes the game?", which is a yes or no answer. Haters are aloud there.
---
a true saiyan always sprinkles when he tinkles
#273 Posted: 12:40:27 02/12/2010
But you could just simply say "I don't like it" rather than going on a big ran there which will then cause arguments, as that topic is kind of meant for the fans. (Did you see the amount of s's in "loves"?)
---
#274 Posted: 12:24:27 03/12/2010
Yet you caused this argument here...

Therefore you're at fault too.
---
#275 Posted: 14:24:08 03/12/2010
I don't see how anyone can like DOTD, I think it's really weird how other people find it so superb. When I play it, I just find it funny and frustrating, even a friend of mine agrees with me, sometimes we play it together, just to make fun of it.
---
#276 Posted: 16:20:50 03/12/2010
I tend to make fun of everything I play/see, whether I love it dearly or despise it!
---
#277 Posted: 16:27:26 03/12/2010
Yeah, me too.
---
#278 Posted: 23:36:07 03/12/2010 | Topic Creator
I make fun of things I like, too. The sincerest form of flattery is parody, in my book. smilie

But I made fun of DotD (back when I still drew anything LoS-related) because it, and the rest of its series, is ridiculous by itself and those things deserve to be pointed out.
#279 Posted: 00:59:28 04/12/2010
Yeah, that's pretty much what I do smilie

DotD is just one of those games begging to be made fun of.
---
#280 Posted: 01:04:13 04/12/2010
EVERYTHING begs to be made fun of!smilie

Wonder if that's an internet rule: "If it exists, there are parodies of it!" Hmm..... might check it out.
---
BlackNight12 Gold Sparx Gems: 2343
#281 Posted: 20:28:06 06/12/2010
Here's what I did not like.

The flying wasn't very good...
It was rushed.
No Krome.
Malefor's voice...

and the fct it was so much dfferent from the other two...
---
Trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble! - Taylor Swift
#282 Posted: 22:22:56 06/12/2010
EVERYTHING begs to be made fun of!smilie

Wonder if that's an internet rule: "If it exists, there are parodies of it!" Hmm..... might check it out.

LOL, I like you.
---
Darby Platinum Sparx Gems: 5738
#283 Posted: 01:09:15 07/12/2010
I don't dislike DotD, but I may as well post the things that could've used work Hope it makes sense, considering I'm a little tired and stuff.. :3. All I have to say right now is about Malefor.
-First off: Malefor's voice, of course. Malefor's voice would have been soo much better if they just cut-out all of that editing they did to it.
-His design was a little.. ehh. He had teeth like a turtle, and sometimes he just looked silly. It would have been great to see the Krome design. I'm guessing he would have looked like the statue of him in the Temple, and from the looks of it, I liked that design.
-Also, if you watched the Malefor's Lair cutscene, you can see his jaw moving as he talks like a cow chewing grass. smilie
-I think that they could have spent more time on the final boss battle. I mean, the whole trilogy evolved arond the Dark Master, and how powerful he was. You finally get to him, and he barely puts up a fight. I found Gaul more challenging, to be honest. And Spyro wasn't even the one to kill Malefor. I was hoping for something epic to happen, like Cynder turning into her corrupt form again, and then Spyro having to defeat her or something, but it never came.
DarkCynder_543 Platinum Sparx Gems: 5210
#284 Posted: 08:31:06 07/12/2010
^ I agree with all of those. Malefor was just so disappointing, and sometimes I believe he took drugs before he battled Spyro, which explains the horrible voice how he doesn't put up a good fight. smilie

Like I've said many times before I was hoping for the return of ANB Cynder, and getting to battle her one more time. I was expecting the battle to be more epic. If Krome would have done the game, I'm positive ANB Cynder would have popped up in the battle somewhere.

Also, when Malefor said, "Prepare to die!" and just flew off, I was like, "WTF?". I was expecting some shoop da woop attack. But instead, he just flies off, and Spyro and Cynder just follow him. smilie

It didn't really suprise me, because the whole game was rushed.
---
a true saiyan always sprinkles when he tinkles
#285 Posted: 12:48:17 07/12/2010
Malefor was so freakn' easy! I agree with the Gaul thing, took me twenty tries before I figured out his pattern, because I would die right at the beginning and not have learnt any good tips for the next time. D:
---
#286 Posted: 12:58:09 07/12/2010 | Topic Creator
Yeah, Malefor was a pansy. He was also quite the moron; I think he left his brain behind in the spirit world, along with all of his sense of intimidation and credibility as a villain. The way he was built up, I was expecting this cool metaphysical sort of evil that was grooming Spyro to be his new body (because, really, it literally makes no sense at all for him to have his own body in DotD, none!). Then Spyro would have had to battle his own (meek) darkness and possibly fight Dark Cynder again and it would've been pretty cool.

In hindsight, I really don't know how I was expecting this kind of interestingness from LoS, but they at least owed us a kind of Darth Vader vs. Luke thing instead of the world's lamest pink dragon. If that's what put their world in peril, I kind of think it deserved to be destroyed.
#287 Posted: 20:36:40 07/12/2010
Malefor could've been WAY cooler then he was, I mean come on now not even his design made sense to me. for one thing he was pink and I thought he was supposed to be the first purple dragon. maybe the dragns got it mixed up, idk. second his voice should have been left alone without voice destroyi.. I mean editing. and some things in his plan didn't even make sense.

I loved how he was portrayed in TEN though, I was looking forward to seeing him as the big evil ending to the trilogy. in TEN he was made up to be so mysterious and dark and evil, but alas, he was just big...and pink...:(
---
Trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble! - Taylor Swift
#288 Posted: 20:40:16 07/12/2010
I think the Sorcerer looked more intimidating than Malefor :/

Edit: Just looking at an old ANB video, but this is something I miss:

Namely the part where Spyro sniffs at the bell, very cautious of it.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 23:35:56 07/12/2010 by Spyroo
Darby Platinum Sparx Gems: 5738
#289 Posted: 02:06:52 08/12/2010
Quote: DarkCynder_543
^ I agree with all of those. Malefor was just so disappointing, and sometimes I believe he took drugs before he battled Spyro, which explains the horrible voice how he doesn't put up a good fight. smilie

Like I've said many times before I was hoping for the return of ANB Cynder, and getting to battle her one more time. I was expecting the battle to be more epic. If Krome would have done the game, I'm positive ANB Cynder would have popped up in the battle somewhere.

Also, when Malefor said, "Prepare to die!" and just flew off, I was like, "WTF?". I was expecting some shoop da woop attack. But instead, he just flies off, and Spyro and Cynder just follow him. smilie

It didn't really suprise me, because the whole game was rushed.

I know! He's just like "Prepare to die!.." ..and runs off. smilie
And it would have been sooo interesting if ANB Cynder returned to Malefor's side. I can't help but wish that had happened!

And @ Spyroo: That video makes me miss Krome, and Spyro's and Sparx's brotherly relationship in ANB and TEN, that was somewhat, somehow lost in DotD.
#290 Posted: 18:42:28 08/12/2010
Yeah, me too. The personalities of all characters changed way too dramatically there ._.
---
#291 Posted: 20:45:28 08/12/2010 | Topic Creator
Honestly, I'm starting to feel about DotD the way I feel about the Star Wars prequels: it makes life easier to ignore it entirely and don't count anything in it as being anything other than really bad fanfic.
#292 Posted: 21:44:37 08/12/2010
Actually, thats one of the worst things for me. those personality changes were awful! all of a sudden all the characters have either completely changed their personalities or they have none whatsoever.
---
#293 Posted: 21:55:24 08/12/2010
The only thing I've never been able to understand is how some people can think DotD Cynder's personality is better than TEN's! She's so plain and boring in DotD, there's nothing there. Unless, like some people do, you force her to have a personality.
---
#294 Posted: 21:58:16 08/12/2010
People are just different. I happen to be one of those people(in a sense). smilie

Anyway....there was something about DotD that I didn't like but I can't remember what it was....THINK SONIC, THINK!
---
#295 Posted: 21:59:30 08/12/2010
Yeah but..... She's bland. Her voice never changes, she's predictable..... And just so boring. Her appearance is the only good thing about her, and I don't care much for appearance with characters real and fictional.
---
#296 Posted: 22:04:40 08/12/2010
I prefer TEN cynder so I'm kinda with you on this Spyroo. she was an awesome character back In ANB and TEN and more of a character too, IMO, anyway!
---
#297 Posted: 22:05:08 08/12/2010
I'm not gonna say why I prefer her (again, in a sense) here, as this isn't the right place for it. smilie

If there is one thing I didn't like in DotD, it was..... the moles didn't talk after Dragon City. Not counting Mason.
---
#298 Posted: 22:08:30 08/12/2010
Quote: BlackNight12
I prefer TEN cynder so I'm kinda with you on this Spyroo. she was an awesome character back In ANB and TEN and more of a character too, IMO, anyway!

Yeah, I'm just so gutted they changed her. It makes it worse, than 90% of DotD Cynder's fans are just in love with her appearance smilie

I can guarantee you now if Ember replaced her in that last game, used the same voice, same emotions and same decisions, people would hate Ember.
---
#299 Posted: 09:55:07 09/12/2010 | Topic Creator
Agreed with you, Spyroo.

Cynder was really the reason I played LoS from the start. I liked the stuff the games implied about her (that a little girl could bring a world to its knees and terrify countless races). We didn't see much of her, but what we saw left a lot of clues about who she really was behind and they were very interesting to me.

DotD Cynder, on the other hand, is a complete contradiction to the personality that was established for her. And I do not like her DotD design. It's hideous. Granted, it is easier to draw than her ANB/TEN versions, but it's so grotesque. When I did draw her that way, I tended to understate a lot of her physical exaggerations (gave her a thicker waist, smaller chest, more reasonable neck size, etc.). Frankly, I think ANB/TEN Cynder had a much more unique and interesting set of designs. And, yeah, almost all of her fans from DotD only like her for her body; I know because I've dealt with them far more than anyone should have to. D:
#300 Posted: 17:20:37 09/12/2010
Quote:
(that a little girl could bring a world to its knees and terrify countless races).

That sentence put a hilarious image into my head!smilie
---
First | Previous | Page 6 of 6
1 2 3 4 5 6

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me